Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #44

Discussion in 'Coronavirus - Covid-19' started by Amonet, Jan 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oregonmama

Oregonmama Well-Known Member

Elderberry is what we take daily

2. ilovewings

ilovewings Well-Known Member

In my opinion this virus is a horse of a different color (so to speak); it spares many and kills others. I think the flu kills many people but not in the way this virus does: The coronavirus is a respiratory virus: the 20% of people that may be vulnerable to it wind up with horrendous lethal respiratory issues that taxes the medical system in a way the "regular" flu does not. The flu does kill people, but in a different way. Until this pandemic we have never seen our medical system being stressed out in this way: the victims of this virus can't breathe, simply put and because of this they require intense oxygenation, most often with a ventilator. Also, it seems this virus may be more contagious than the flu ( though i am not certain about that): I call this virus the black death because of the way it strikes the lungs and kills its victims.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
    Lilibet, Anirtak, sallye818 and 3 others like this.
  3. 10ofRods

10ofRods Verified Anthropologist

No one is ever intubated just to be on the safe side - intubation has real risks to it.

Tracheal intubation in the ICU: Life saving or life threatening?

It has to be very serious if he's actually been intubated. I wonder who is releasing the information here.

I wouldn't expect any sort of official announcement but people tweeted he was taken to the hospital before any news media picked up the story.

JaneEyre, Sunny123, Lilibet and 9 others like this.
  4. Hazelnutty

Hazelnutty Kindness Matters

I agree. I was picturing a Boris being incubated and thusly resulting in lots of little mussy haired Borises hatching out at the end .

But. I wish Boris good health, seriously.

5. 10ofRods

10ofRods Verified Anthropologist

Here in SoCal, psychiatrists are seeing a huge uptick in patient requests for treatment (all the ones I know are tele-treating of course). Anxiety can trigger other psychiatric issues and make regular meds less effective.

Not that road rage is usually a symptom of mental illness.

JaneEyre, Lilibet, Really? and 5 others like this.
  6. gregjrichards

gregjrichards Well-Known Member

A New Orleans nurse says she was moved to tears when an elderly woman wouldn't see her husband as he died from coronavirus — for a very selfless reason.

Nurse Blaire Guidry, 26, said the woman insisted that the gown and mask she'd have to wear should be saved for medical professionals.

'It was so selfless,' Guidry told Today. 'This was probably the most difficult time in her life and she was thinking of us. She was aware of the shortages and knew she would have to go into the room with a gown and a mask.'

Nurse recalls how elderly woman refused to see her husband as he died of coronavirus | Daily Mail Online

7. Seattle1

Seattle1 #LiveLikeLizzy

JaneEyre, Sunny123, Lilibet and 11 others like this.
  8. Mimi in London

Mimi in London Well-Known Member

And all his kids.

9. mickey2942

mickey2942 Well-Known Member

Right now, staying as far away from others is a good idea, not just because of Coronavirus, but in general, there are a lot of people who are not adjusting well to this situation.

JaneEyre, Lilibet, Anirtak and 16 others like this.
  10. MassGuy

MassGuy On Time Out

Sky News Understands that the cabinet was informed of the Prime Minister's condition via video call and that the Prime Minister was not on a ventilator

Sky News Breaking on Twitter

EmilyVan, Sunny123, Lilibet and 15 others like this.
  11. Herat

Herat Way out West

From my reading, Zinc should only be taken at the beginning of cold/flu symptoms and should not be taken regularly as a prophylactic.

"The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) issued a public health advisory advising that over-the-counter zinc-containing intranasal products (Zicam) should not be used because of multiple reports of permanent anosmia [23]. Zinc is also available in a homeopathic preparation as intranasal zinc gluconate for the treatment and prevention for colds. This formulation has also been found to cause hyposmia and anosmia [24]. Zinc sulfate preparations that are syrup or lozenges seem to be better tolerated than some tablet forms" From FDA bulletin

12. CoverMeCagney

CoverMeCagney Well-Known Member

Also:

Downing Street said: “Since Sunday evening, the prime minister has been under the care of doctors at St Thomas’s Hospital, in London, after being admitted with persistent symptoms of coronavirus. Over the course of this afternoon, the condition of the prime minister has worsened and, on the advice of his medical team, he has been moved to the intensive care unit at the hospital"

Boris Johnson admitted to intensive care | News | The Times

So when Russia leaked news this morning that Boris was on a ventilator already, it was not true. Whether it turns out to be prophetic is anyones guess.

JaneEyre, Lilibet, Really? and 10 others like this.
  13. Reasonable & Just

Reasonable & Just United We Stand

JaneEyre, Lilibet, Anirtak and 8 others like this.
  14. Shadow205

Shadow205 Well-Known Member

Really?, Sundog, byo and 2 others like this.
  15. angelainwi

angelainwi Certified Trauma Counselor

My husband stocks 3rd shift for Meijer's, he has been working over time, 7 days a week....thankfully there are no customers in the store 3rd shift and they take temperatures of all employees before they can start their shift

libraryg, Bailey38, Lilibet and 14 others like this.
  16. Boston Corbett

Boston Corbett Well-Known Member

I thank them each time and, as I can, I tip them. They deserve every bit of the former and much more of the latter.

Bailey38, Lilibet, Anirtak and 12 others like this.
  17. gregjrichards

gregjrichards Well-Known Member

I really hope you both will be ok and will not get the virus. Like you I’m keeping myself safe and isolated. Hopefully we will all get through this terrible time. Best wishes to you both.

Sunny123, Lilibet, Really? and 3 others like this.
  18. Curious Me

Curious Me Long-Time Member from back in the day

Interesting. Do you take it in a syrup form? There's quite a few precautions in this medical article.

Elderberries and Your Health

Lilibet, Really?, byo and 1 other person like this.
  19. LadyL

LadyL Well-Known Member

I just ordered a bunch of seeds last night. Lots of stiff sold out. I have no idea what I'm doing but gonna try.

Really?, Bravo, WideOpen and 3 others like this.
  20. Rose in SC

Rose in SC Lurker Who Lurks

SOUTH CAROLINA - Love this story!

LEESVILLE, S.C. (WIS) - When the state of South Carolina needed hand sanitizer, Craig and Meredith Amick’s distillery was the first one asked to pivot to help during this pandemic. The Amicks say the S.C. Department of Transportation called them in the middle of March to start producing hand sanitizer as fast as possible. They say after the call they got an explainer from the FDA on how to make hand sanitizer and started working right away.

"I got a call on Wednesday. We got started changing over the facility on Thursday. Ordered everything on Wednesday night and Thursday morning, and made the first delivery on the following Monday," said Hollow Creek Distillery owner Craig Amick.

From Spirits to Sanitizer: How one S.C distillery changed their business overnight

JaneEyre, Lilibet, sallye818 and 11 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.