Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #45

Discussion in 'Coronavirus - Covid-19' started by Amonet, Jan 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. otto

otto Verified Expert

cass523, Gardener1850, LadyL and 5 others like this.

2. JaneEyre

JaneEyre Well-Known Member

Just tell him you’re pretty sure there was something he should have been grounded for that you never found out about in his youth. So here’s a belated two weeks of it.

3. Chelly

Chelly SW New Mexico

LOL.....love it.

4. Bravo

Bravo Well-Known Member

If he has it he should be wearing a mask too when you enter his room. Yes keep all dishes/cutlery separate. If possible keep his area well ventilated when weather permits.

5. otto

otto Verified Expert

Of course - it is our reality. There are two possible futures for us: one has a vaccine in 6 months, we breath a sigh of relief, and life returns to normal, and the other is that a vaccine takes 24 months, is only effective for 12 months, and the virus continues to mutate and spread.

I think many people are questioning whether life will return to normal. Many are self-isolating, which protects us for now, but we can't self-isolate forever. As long as the virus is in the community, we are at risk as soon as we stop self-isolating. A vaccine is what we want and need, but we also know that the vaccine may be a temporary solution. In 1918, the second wave of the virus in October was more deadly.

6. Kensie

Kensie Well-Known Member

My son is fixing to get laid off. I want him to come South. He lives in DC and his studio apartment is smaller than the largest bedroom in my house (my bedrooms are average size and not huge). I told him to take the essentials or what he wants to keep and head South. It will be a 14 hour drive if he does not stop and I plan on letting him have the upstairs in my house. I have a small dormitory refrigerator at work that I plan to get to put upstairs. No bed upstairs but it does have a comfy couch. His studio apartment is more than my mortgage payment. Unbelievable.

7. MsArk

MsArk Well-Known Member

Thank you for reminding me about plates, glasses and cutlery. I am not sure if I would have thought about that. Do you mind me asking you how your son is doing now?

While I am so sorry my son was laid off, I must say I am looking forward to him being here, even if we won’t really see each other for a couple of weeks. Living alone during this time is a bit much.

SugarQueen, SuziQ, sallye818 and 17 others like this.
  8. MsArk

MsArk Well-Known Member

I love it because it is so true! Haha!

9. LadyL

LadyL Well-Known Member

WTG!

10. otto

otto Verified Expert

He still had a cough after 2 weeks. He spent the 2 weeks sleeping a lot, watching South Park, and doing yoga, body strengthening online, and was generally bored out of his mind. He moved in with three friends and he's well now. He's eligible for $2000/month for the next 4 months, but just got a job. He would rather work than sit around.

I have read that there can be transmission of the virus for some time after symptoms have cleared - not sure whether that has been validated, or the length of time.

People who live alone are typically quite happy with the decision - they still have a daily social life through work and friends. Self-isolation in solitude can mean more effort is needed to be motivated and productive.

11. LadyL

LadyL Well-Known Member

[bbm]

that is hilarious!
    thanks for the funny visual!

12. Sunny123

Sunny123 Well-Known Member

I share your feelings regarding nursing homes, and am grateful that I can care for my mom at home. My mother also has dementia, and it is at times difficult. Whenever she has had to go to the hospital in the last year, the nurses always write down that she is pleasantly confused :)

13. Teche

Teche Well-Known Member

My husband is a retired computer analyst and knows cobol like the back of his hand. We’re in Louisiana but did not hear anything about needing assistance.

14. MimosaMornings

MimosaMornings Well- Known Member

What about washing his clothes?

My cousin split a large plastic yard/trash bag and taped it with duct tape to the door with an opening for food/cds/etc. I read somewhere a plastic shower curtain or liner was used.

Is he going to be ok staying in there for 14 days and not come out? I know for some people it can be difficult.

15. Kensie

Kensie Well-Known Member

During these absolutely horrible times, what is the best job??? I am okay at the moment even though I am not a health care person but what about eye doctors, lawyers, accountants, etc. Society is being hammered across the board. Small businesses are suffering, restaurants airline pilots and flight attendants, Hotels and their staff, teachers
    are suffering, etc.

Is there a safe type of job during this type of situation?

16. Kensie

Kensie Well-Known Member

Hey I know Cobol. Thought it had died decades ago.

17. otto

otto Verified Expert

Education technology is a safe profession at this time. My son has worked in Michelin star restaurants, but he just got a job flipping burgers for delivery and takeout. There are safe jobs, and I think teaching is one of them.

18. Kensie

Kensie Well-Known Member

My mother is in a nursing home and has dementia. I am very concerned about her. I cannot take care of her for multiple reasons even though I would like to take care of her. I have not seen her for a month and it is very worrisome. The Nursing home tells me that she is fine, talking and comfortable - if true, I am grateful for that. I do have a worker at the Nursing home that gives me updates several times during the week.

19. ilovewings

ilovewings Well-Known Member

I think i need some advice-- i posted about this on the wrong thread (Texas)---
    my husband is freaking me out--we are in a gated community in Fort Myers Fla--
    There is a driving range here -' in the past few evenings my husband has been hitting
    golf bakks on the range. There are a couple other older men hitting golf
    balls --so my husband and these two men are talking to each othef- i asked him how far apart they are and it is not 6 feet--more like 2-4 feet-- he doesnt see anything wrong
    with that situation and i am upset-- we are both in our mid 70s and i have asthma--
    i dont know how to handle this but i see this as a threat to my life--i dont consider this time with this virus and all, a time for socializing---am i over reacting?

20. ilovewings

ilovewings Well-Known Member

I think i need some advice-- i posted about this on the wrong thread (Texas)---
    my husband is freaking me out--we are in a gated community in Fort Myers Fla--
    There is a driving range here -' in the past few evenings my husband has been hitting
    golf balls on the range. There are a couple other older men hitting golf
    balls --so my husband and these two men are talking to each other-- i asked him how far apart they are and it is not 6 feet--more like 2-4 feet-- he doesnt see anything wrong
    with that situation and i am upset-- we are both in our mid 70s and i have asthma--
    i dont know how to handle this but i see this as a threat to my life--i dont consider this time with this virus and all, a time for socializing---am i over reacting?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.