Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #45

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps after the pandemic is over and this policy comes under public scrutiny, we will hear more about the reason for this seemingly absurd new protocol. IMO, it reeks of business or political interference.
I am just thinking that if they are working with CV19 patients then perhaps it wouldn't matter unless they become very sick, but wouldn't they be still infectious after 48 Hours exposure? When do symptoms show in general? Perhaps if they are taking temperatures and they are normal they are ok? Perhaps the high temp signifies contagiousness? MOO.

And just a request/reminder @dixiegirl... please make sure to post Dr. Campbell's next video. I really appreciate how he presents the data. I have been so wondering how horrifying things could get in Africa...and he really elaborated on that so well, yesterday. Does he have a regular schedule??? Or are they random?

Just did. He does one or infrequently two a day. Dr. Seheult does the same. (during the week, sometimes on weekends for both)

There is a reason he has 624,000 subscribers. Back in January iirc, he had about 80,000

OHIO'S LATEST PROJECTIONS FOR PEAK CASES AT END OF APRIL

"The latest model for state's peak in late April has been revised dramatically downward to 1,600 per day from initial estimates of nearly 10,000. But if people start going outside, the more dire projections would leap back, Acton said."

Ohio's latest projections to be 1,600 new cases per day at peak (end of April), down from earlier projections of 10,000 new cases per day at peak. Good news for Ohio hospitals.

https://www.bizjournals.com/columbu...JZ1Q1S2ZQbis4MUhZb2M0QmhSamhpVjVHYzhKZ29xIn0=

Let's hope that EIDD-2801 works then.
Nets Hype Experimental Virus Treatments, Bash Drug Boosted By Trump

Tonight I feel I'm being held captive watching heart touching clips then horrible predictions. There's so much going on in the news, lots of hopes vs lots of sad news and it's making me feel bipolar.

Last night I posted about my own experience taking Plaquenil with no side effects. I see in the article there's concern for a few people having a heart reaction; however, there's some claiming it helped get them on the road to recovery. I'm just shocked at the controversy all over the news about it. It has done wonders for many people with RA and Lupus, and has been around a long time.

It's done wonders, but the only trouble is we can't get our Rx Refills now.

But... I understand that there hasn't been enough formal trials testing it on Covid patients. Announcements were made to the public, Dr. Oz and Trump were very hyped up about it and voiced high hopes for the anti malarial drug, perhaps too often and too soon. Unfortunately, it has created big controversy and a shortage of the drug for patients depending on it.

I take it for RA. I heard on my local news I'm not the only one who only got 14 days worth. A little girl with Lupus, which affects her kidneys and organs, takes hydroxychloroquine and that little girl only got only 14 days! They want us to keep going back to the pharmacy when we're suppose to stay home? I have no problem being shorted, but they better make sure that little girl doesn't have kidney failure. What a mess with all these shortages and viewpoints.

I try to keep my mind on something else other than the virus, but our governor takes up the morning shows, then in the afternoons the city health officials talk and they all want a turn, and then later the mayor, oh and the President, of course. I've heard it all. Thankfully, we have great streaming capabilities to ease the boredom of Pandemic Isolation. Whew, :oops: I guess I needed to get that off my mind.

Hydroxychloroquine (Plaquenil) Shortage Causing Concern | Arthritis Foundation

Lupus, arthritis patients fear potential hydroxychloroquine shortages after Trump's statements
I do have some friends with RA and or Lupus--they are really worried about the shortage. But I do think that they have put on a super acceleration to get more and more.. So I personally believe that before "too" long, patients on it, as well as doctors who want to prescribe it for covid will both be ok. My bigger concern is if we don't get the full Fed battle cry for antibodies, vaccines and other more targeted treatments.... then the due dilligence that should be taking place, and managed by doctors and scientists will not come to the forefront soon enough.

My heart hurts today as I think about all the losses and so many families in mourning and not able to grieve the way they would want to.
I’m learning that some days are harder than others. Sometimes it’s hard to keep the head above water.

Coronavirus: Teacher walks five miles a day to deliver free school meals to children

Coronavirus: Teacher walks five miles a day to deliver free school meals to children
Grimsby assistant headteacher Zane Powles delivers 78 packed lunches to children who qualify for free school meals every morning.

A Grimsby primary school teacher has been hailed a local hero for walking five miles every day to make sure disadvantaged children get a decent lunch during the coronavirus lockdown.

Every morning, Zane Powles delivers 78 packed lunches to children who qualify for free school meals, each containing a sandwich, a packet of crisps, a biscuit and an apple.

The assistant headteacher at Western Primary School says the discomfort of carrying heavy food around the empty streets in his rucksack is nothing compared with the ordeal faced by families forced to stay at home.

The school's executive head, Kim Leach, delivers lunches in her car to children who live further away, in what she describes as a vital service.

The amount of toilet paper the average American uses hasn't changed; it's still around 141 rolls per year (compared to 134 rolls in Germany and just 49 rolls in China, AlixParters says). But even small changes in buying habits can throw everything into disarray.

With a regional disruption like a hurricane, stores can redirect some inventory to the affected area. But a global pandemic doesn't leave a lot of wiggle room.
Charmin on Twitter
Angel Soft® on Twitter
Wiped out of toilet paper? Here's why

Our local news just featured a story where people drove dozens of cars through the hospital parking lot to wave at the healthcare professionals to show their appreciation.

The hospital employees, dozens of them, were standing side by side, waving back. Not one of them was wearing a mask. They were all wearing scrubs but no masks.

NYT has kept up their paywall... so cannot read. If article is not too too long could you post? Or, in your research on this more specific topic, if you see it discussed somewhere else, please attach here. Thanks in advance.
Clear your cookies and you get 3 free NYT articles, same with WaPo. Also if you have several browsers, try switching browsers to let you read.

Most of the Americans are now sitting at home, not going to work. So they are using much more toilet paper at home than usual, since before they used toilet paper their workplace provided while they were working, and now they can't do that. Since people spend 8 hours at work, that's third of toilet paper they are no longer able to use.

IMF warns of Great Depression-level impact, restrictions set to be extended: Today's Covid-19 main points

(Ireland)

THE NUMBER OF confirmed cases of Covid-19 in Ireland now sits at 6,074 while the number of people who have died from coronavirus-related illnesses has reached 235.

The figures were released by the Department of Health last evening.

The Government, on the advice of the National Public Health Emergency Team, is expected to extend the existing restrictions on movement for a number of weeks over the coming days.

Meanwhile, gardaí have established fixed checkpoints across the country to discourage members of the public from travelling to their holiday homes for the Easter weekend.

Here are today’s Covid-19 main points:

• There are now 224 people in ICU with the Covid-19 disease, and the median age of the 25 additional people who died in the past 24 hours was 80.
  • Ireland’s Covid-19 welfare supports could cost the government nearly €5 billion in three months, according to a new report from the Economic & Social Research Institute (ESRI).
  • Minister for Health Simon Harris has said that the Covid-19 restrictions are set to be extended for at least a “few more weeks”.
  • Debenhams is closing all of its Irish stores and will go into liquidation.
  • Dublin, Galway and Waterford councils have reported an increase in reports of illegal dumping during the current health crisis.
  • It will cost €50,000 each day the Dáil sits at Dublin’s Convention Centre and a once-off €110,000 expense to install microphones in the venue, due to the inability for all TDs to social distance at Leinster House.
  • Trinity College Dublin and AIB are set to establish a research hub on campus to accelerate an immunology project aimed at tackling the Covid-19 coronavirus.
  • The Airports Council International has said passenger travel during the month of March fell by 60% and that restoring air transport will be a ‘cornerstone’ of economic recovery when the world emerges from the Covid-19 emergency.
  • A new ‘My Heroes’ campaign has launched today allowing members of the public post messages of support about frontline workers in healthcare, defence and other sectors.
  • Transparency International Ireland has published guidance on whistleblowing for workers and guidance for employers in relation to wrongdoing, ethical misconduct or health and safety risks in the workplaceduring the COVID-19 pandemic.
  • Staff of the Mater Misericordiae University Hospital gathered this morning to applaud the Irish public for staying at home and helping to slow the spread of Covid-19.
  • The Government has added 850 new beds to direct provision centres over the past two weeks to alleviate issues around the ability to adhere to social distancing rules as well as setting up a dedicated phone line for Direct Provision centre staff to help implement self-isolation measures.

WARNING: HUMOR (A friend sent this to us; I hope no one is offended by it.)

• Half of us are going to come out of this quarantine as amazing cooks. The other half will come out with a drinking problem.
• I used to spin that toilet paper like I was on Wheel of Fortune. Now I turn it like I'm cracking a safe.
• I need to practice social-distancing from the refrigerator.
• Still haven't decided where to go for Easter ----- The Living Room or TheBedroom
• PSA: every few days try your jeans on just to make sure they fit. Pajamas will have you believe all is well in the kingdom.
• Homeschooling is going well. 2 students suspended for fighting and 1 teacher fired for drinking on the job.
• I don't think anyone expected that when we changed the clocks we'd go from Standard Time to the Twilight Zone
• This morning I saw a neighbor talking to her cat. It was obvious she thought her cat understood her. I came into my house, told my dog..... we laughed a lot.
• So, after this quarantine.....will the producers of My 600 Pound Life just find me or do I find them?
• Quarantine Day 5: Went to this restaurant called THE KITCHEN. You have to gather all the ingredients and make your own meal. I have no clue how this place is still in business.
• My body has absorbed so much soap and disinfectant lately that when I pee it cleans the toilet.
• Day 5 of Homeschooling: One of these little monsters called in a bomb threat.
• I'm so excited --- it's time to take out the garbage. What should I wear?
• I hope the weather is good tomorrow for my trip to Puerto Backyarda. I'm getting tired of Los Livingroom.
• Classified Ad: Single man with toilet paper seeks woman with hand sanitizer for good clean fun.
• Day 6 of Homeschooling: My child just said "I hope I don't have the same teacher next year".... I'm offended.
• Better 6 feet apart than 6 feet under

'We're talking about a few more weeks': Harris says Covid-19 restrictions 'won't be lifted tomorrow'

(Ireland)

MINISTER FOR HEALTH Simon Harris has said the restrictions on public movement currently in place as a result of the Covid-19 pandemic “are not going to be lifted tomorrow”.

Current restrictions see all non-essential retail outlets closed and people being told to stay home, except essential workers travelling to work or other exceptions, until this Sunday, 12 April.

Harris signed beefed-up regulations on Tuesday night that will give gardaí the power to arrest and detain individuals flouting the Covid-19 restrictions.

The laws are due to expire at midnight on Easter Sunday, but Harris has now said the restrictions are likely to remain in place for a number of weeks.

Agreed whole heartedly! Tonight was the first night of Passover for Jews. My family consider ourselves Secular Jews, meaning we're not religious but Passover has always been a time for us to gather and discuss traditions and of course eat some wonderful food!

My oldest daughter held the seder with her family as did my middle daughter. My youngest is in Japan. Usually if we can't get together we'll use FaceTime or Skype to make sure everyone is included. No one felt like doing that tonight.

Husband and I didn't bother making any of the Passover foods and instead he made mushroom spaghetti. Funny, Passover isn't all that big of a deal for us apart from a family get together but because I didn't have the choice of visiting my kids I missed it. My oldest makes the best brisket and I found myself feeling pissed that I couldn't be there with her and my granddaughters.

This virus reminds me of Passover. We are closed in our houses while the death angel/virus passes over us.

Ecuador Gives Glimpse Into Pandemic’s Impact on Latin America

"The cadaver crisis reached such proportions that local cardboard manufacturers, which normally produce packaging for exported agricultural products, last week began donating cardboard coffins to the affected families.

“This is something beneficial, this is a solution,” said Pedro Huerta, whose packaging plant in Guayaquil is donating 600 cardboard coffins a day. His plant’s cardboard usually packages Ecuador’s bananas for Dole."

--------------
"Some of the first confirmed infections in Guayaquil were traced to well-off Ecuadorean students who had been attending school in Spain but returned to their families to escape the outbreak in Europe. Infections spread at high-society weddings last month, according to the local authorities.

By the time the virus found its way to the slums, the dynamic had reversed. While better-off Ecuadoreans were able to stock up on provisions and retreat to their homes, many manual workers have defied the government’s stay-at-home orders to make ends meet."
----------------
Banks turned into high-risk areas once Ecuadoreans, many without bank accounts, showed up in large numbers to retrieve their $60 stipend in cash.
-------------------

WARNING: HUMOR (A friend sent this to us; I hope no one is offended by it.)

• Half of us are going to come out of this quarantine as amazing cooks. The other half will come out with a drinking problem.
• I used to spin that toilet paper like I was on Wheel of Fortune. Now I turn it like I'm cracking a safe.
• I need to practice social-distancing from the refrigerator.
• Still haven't decided where to go for Easter ----- The Living Room or TheBedroom
• PSA: every few days try your jeans on just to make sure they fit. Pajamas will have you believe all is well in the kingdom.
• Homeschooling is going well. 2 students suspended for fighting and 1 teacher fired for drinking on the job.
• I don't think anyone expected that when we changed the clocks we'd go from Standard Time to the Twilight Zone
• This morning I saw a neighbor talking to her cat. It was obvious she thought her cat understood her. I came into my house, told my dog..... we laughed a lot.
• So, after this quarantine.....will the producers of My 600 Pound Life just find me or do I find them?
• Quarantine Day 5: Went to this restaurant called THE KITCHEN. You have to gather all the ingredients and make your own meal. I have no clue how this place is still in business.
• My body has absorbed so much soap and disinfectant lately that when I pee it cleans the toilet.
• Day 5 of Homeschooling: One of these little monsters called in a bomb threat.
• I'm so excited --- it's time to take out the garbage. What should I wear?
• I hope the weather is good tomorrow for my trip to Puerto Backyarda. I'm getting tired of Los Livingroom.
• Classified Ad: Single man with toilet paper seeks woman with hand sanitizer for good clean fun.
• Day 6 of Homeschooling: My child just said "I hope I don't have the same teacher next year".... I'm offended.
• Better 6 feet apart than 6 feet under

Hilarious, thank you. When going from one state to another and asked for your "papers", hand 'em a roll and consider them bribed.

Coronavirus: Police shut down 494 house parties in four days in Greater Manchester
People are being reminded they must stay at home after police saw DJs, fireworks and bouncy castles at some parties.

Police in Greater Manchester say they were called to 494 house parties in four days as people continue to flout the coronavirus lockdown.

The force has released maps showing the 1,132 incidents they were called to from 25 March to 7 April.

The Manchester Evening News reported that DJs, fireworks and bouncy castles were found by police.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam