Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #52

Discussion in 'Coronavirus - Covid-19' started by Amonet, Jan 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Inthedetails

Inthedetails Well-Known Member

??? I saw plenty of Americans hoarding. It took awhile for the shortage to reach my area, but there was a stretch I couldn't find TP either. Not sure what your post means, sorry.

jmo

2. Lilibet

Lilibet Watching & Waiting

I guess time will tell about kids being spreaders since information is constantly evolving, but it’s pretty hard to teach younger kids who need up close help and are touchy-feely from behind a plexiglass screen. It’s hard enough to keep their attention on a laptop screen and too much goes on in a classroom to make it possible to maintain social distance. :) I’m not sure that I’d want my child in a classroom with a lot of kids anyway. There are no easy solutions, but I think safety protections need to be figured before opening schools. Because grocery store workers are essential, unfortunately they had to work without protection until their employers got up to speed. I just think we can wait a little longer and get it right for teachers and kids.
    JMO

3. Lilibet

Yes, you’re right. I was thinking his rage possibly came from anxiety and fear...or else he’s just a self-involved piece of work (more likely).

Tadpole12, cass523 and Mo Thuairim like this.
  4. Sunny123

Sunny123 Well-Known Member

I have heard they are available in multi packs (3 to a pack) at BJ's (I'm in Florida), but I haven't seen them at any other store.

5. Lilibet

Common sense prevails. From the link:

A Michigan judge on Wednesday found that while Gov. Gretchen Whitmer’s stay-at-home order does “temporary harm” to the constitutional rights of Michigan residents, the harm doesn’t outweigh the public health risk posed by the coronavirus outbreak.

6. weepingangel

weepingangel Well-Known Member

More tracing needed to find out how coronavirus spread at Walmart in Worcester, officials say

Chelly, kimpage, cody22 and 8 others like this.
  7. Inthedetails

I would be disappointed and angry too.

I wonder if individual businesses will make their own policies that customers have to wear a mask to enter. They might have to, if customers don't want to enter a place where fellow shoppers are not wearing masks.

But if most people don't care about making the small effort of preventing spread of the virus by wearing a mask in a shared space, well, ....IDK what to say. Good luck?

jmo

8. MajorHoople

MajorHoople Well-Known Member

Coronavirus: Over-50s should be in isolation longer, says study | Daily Mail Online

Experts Say Younger People Should Be The First Groups Released From Lockdown

It Is Based On Evidence That Younger People Are Less Likely To Die From Covid-19

The Over-50S Are 20 Times More Likely To Die From Coronavirus Than 20-Year-Olds

"Keeping the over-50s in isolation longer and requiring people to prove their age when out and about is 'the safest way out of lockdown', researchers claim.

A Warwick University study found that a 'rolling age-release strategy' was the best option to end the lockdown introduced to slow the spread of the deadly coronavirus."

9. Inthedetails

I really dislike the age segregation (yes, I know older people are more vulnerable) as I fear it will justify age discrimination. Many people over 50 are part of the work force, and I worry they will be pushed out when they still need, want, and are capable of working. This is a real concern, imo.

jmo

Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
  10. 24Roses

24Roses Well-Known Member

Iowa news today: April 30: 302 new cases of COVID-19 in Iowa, 14 additional deaths (WATCH Gov. Reynolds) 302 news confirmed cases and 14 more have passed away. Today's death count is the highest daily count to date. :( We now have a total of 7,145 confirmed cases and 162 have passed away. 2,697 have recovered. 198 cases today are from Black Hawk, Dallas, and Polk counties.
    Tyson responds to President Trump's meat processing plant order
    Tyson workers in Independence fear coronavirus spread, want shutdown, testing And here's another local Tyson plant in Ia. that hasn't been mentioned until today.
    UI and UCLA awarded $3.7 million CDC grant to study ways to reduce risk of COVID-19 infection in emergency room staff
    15 inmates, five staff positive for COVID-19 at IMCC Correctional Facility
    Pella residents worry about COVID-19 as hundreds visit despite canceled tulip festival
    TestIowa opens in Waterloo

11. weepingangel

Nope. But we have been getting them in again at work (health care) now as well as the SaniCloth ones Super Sani-Cloth Surface Disinfectant Germicidal Wipes. (Obviously the Clorox ones we get are packaged differently/higher potency probably etc but I was assuming they’re prioritizing those over the consumer branded ones)

Sunny123, cody22, Tadpole12 and 5 others like this.
  12. Lilibet

In response to the filing, Newsom’s office released a statement, saying “California is taking legally justified and morally necessary action to assist all Californians impacted by COVID-19. These actions benefit public health and the economic well-being of families and communities hit hardest by this pandemic. We look forward to defending what we know to be right in court.”

https://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/capitol-alert/article242234386.html

13. Gardenista

Gardenista Well-Known Member

14. katydid23

katydid23 Well-Known Member

I hear ya. But it is what it is. Us older folks are more likely to die from the virus. That's the reality.

Do we stay totally shutdown, to avoid future age discrimination?

Maybe the older workers could work from home, while the younger ones work onsite?

sallye818, Sundog, Tadpole12 and 4 others like this.
  15. weepingangel

kimpage, JaneEyre, Tadpole12 and 3 others like this.
  16. Henry2326

Henry2326 Well-Known Member

SCOTT GOTTLIEB

In U.S., slope of curve coming down covid epidemic far more gradual than slope going up, and for most of country, new cases have only plateaued or are still rising, and we hover around 30,000 total daily cases; 2,000 deaths. Some states are declining (OH, ID, FL, SD). Many aren’t Scott Gottlieb, MD on Twitter

Daily reported new covid19 cases and deaths have moved around but remained on a mostly flat trend line for weeks. (Photos courtesy of @NYTHealth) Scott Gottlieb, MD on Twitter

Scott Gottlieb, MD on Twitter

Attached Files:

17. 10ofRods

10ofRods Verified Anthropologist

Your post should be read by all, as you outline three general courses of action and all have moral and economic arguments both for and against.

I don't feel "elderly," and never thought I'd be considering retirement a bit early. Fortunately, I do have a job where I can work from home and I'm pretty sure that my employer will encourage me to do so indefinitely. It will be up to me, though.

Do I want to be a "shut-in" forever? What do I do with the knowledge that average LE may be dropping? Next year, I think we'll see that people who have both flu and CoVid are in danger of dying. The median age for CoVid deaths will be known for sure, and it will be lower in the US than in, say, Sweden.

I too watch Sweden daily. They are getting a bit alarmed at their strategy of "no containment, herd immunity." I can understand why they're doing it this way, it's what human communities have done for centuries. If the median age at death in Sweden (a healthy nation) is around 79, then that means that all of us should strive to be as healthy as possible. This is a personal decision and it's one we should all be deciding upon.

So, I'll go for my walk today, I'll continue to try and eat properly, get lots of sleep (always a problem for me). I'd say that I'm a generally healthy but overweight 65 year old with a history of asthma - and blood clots. The blood clots were caused by a doctor who put me on an Rx (talked me into it, really) that has a known association with blood clots - but only 1 in 100,000 women had that reaction. I was one of them. So...am I really healthy?

Maybe not. My family sure thinks I should try to avoid getting CoVid, as for me, it would likely be more serious than the flu. I almost never get the flu, despite being in classrooms for years. I almost never get the flu shot either, but I will probably get one next year - as it may help with general immunity plus it's clear that people who get both CoVid and the flu are in a lot of distress and are very ill, whether they die or not.

I'm curious, @The Night Watchman, how you're thinking about the next 10 years. In 10 years, you'll be "elderly." If you got CoVid between now and your 60th birthday, the chances of you surviving or even having mild symptoms are very high.

But if you don't - then do you ever think about what happens as your 67th birthday approaches? The rates of CV19 should be much lower by then. Or we'll have something of a vaccine. I have lots of friends, family and colleagues who are your age. Will our workplaces continue to support allowing 65+ people to work from home, etc? SSN doesn't kick in until around 67 for most of you.

I guess I'm asking to what degree your own longterm planning is affected by this pandemic (and the global economic chaos into which we are descending).

I think that for people your age, we need to reopen as sanely and softly as possible, but without a near-term reopening, people's health is going to be affected by more than just CoVid which, as you rightly point out, is probably not a very great threat to you.

You can imagine how even younger people are feeling - their whole lives disrupted, future opportunities cut short, for a disease that has little biological impact on them.

rootbeer, FLH, sassyblue and 14 others like this.
  18. weepingangel

except for the older folks who work in essential jobs :(
    Retail, service jobs etc And all those teachers and nurses.
    I can’t do my job from home Sucks to be older and essential *shrug*
    (I’m under 60 -fifty something —but still concerned about catching it and being hospitalized or bringing it home to the family )
    I’m hearing whispers of furloughs of other departments (nurses are already being furloughed )so maybe It’ll be out of my hands soon enough anyway

Rsbm

19. Inthedetails

I envision age discrimination to increase "for old people's own good." I am concerned about a slippery slope.

I'm not interested in defending what concerns me, tbh.

jmo

20. cass523

cass523 Well-Known Member

NEW: Sen. Kamala Harris announces bill to create task force "to confront the racial and ethnic disparities of the coronavirus pandemic head on.

Sen. Kamala Harris, D-Calif., on Thursday announced new legislation -- the COVID-19 Racial and Ethnic Disparities Task Force Act -- to create a task force to combat the way minorities are being impacted by the coronavirus.

"People of color are being infected and dying from coronavirus at astounding rates," Harris said in a statement. "This is in part due to persistent lack of access to health care, bias in our health care system, systematic barriers to equal pay and housing, and environmental injustice. It is critical that the federal government proactively work to right historical wrongs that have led to racial inequities for generations."

The legislation would require the task force experts and government officials to "make data-driven recommendations to federal agencies about directing crucial resources—like testing kits, testing supplies, and personal protective equipment (PPE)—to communities with racial and ethnic disparities in COVID-19 infection, hospitalization and death rates."

[​IMG]

ABC News on Twitter

Coronavirus updates: Potential COVID-19 treatment shows 'glimmer of hope,' researcher says

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.