Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #52

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, i believe it was those covid-heavy Australians that started the toilet paper hoarding!! Shame on the magnificent well-planned Covid recovery country!
??? I saw plenty of Americans hoarding. It took awhile for the shortage to reach my area, but there was a stretch I couldn't find TP either. Not sure what your post means, sorry.

jmo

Couldn't they work from behind a plexi screen, like the shop cashiers do? I would say those shop workers have been the guinea pigs in this experiment. They have to deal with adult nitwits like me going the wrong way in and out of the store. Also there are lots of articles saying kids don't spread it.

I guess time will tell about kids being spreaders since information is constantly evolving, but it’s pretty hard to teach younger kids who need up close help and are touchy-feely from behind a plexiglass screen. It’s hard enough to keep their attention on a laptop screen and too much goes on in a classroom to make it possible to maintain social distance. :) I’m not sure that I’d want my child in a classroom with a lot of kids anyway. There are no easy solutions, but I think safety protections need to be figured before opening schools. Because grocery store workers are essential, unfortunately they had to work without protection until their employers got up to speed. I just think we can wait a little longer and get it right for teachers and kids.
JMO

Out of curiosity, has anyone here been able to find Clorox wipes? I finally gave up but just wondering if others have had luck, and how that supply and availability is doing in other areas.
I have heard they are available in multi packs (3 to a pack) at BJ's (I'm in Florida), but I haven't seen them at any other store.

More tracing needed to find out how coronavirus spread at Walmart in Worcester, officials say

“The problem with these outbreaks is that when people test positive they give their home address to the system. They don’t give their work address and they don’t give their occupation necessarily," Hirsh said.

Social media postings tipped off Worcester officials to COVID-19 outbreak at Walmart

WORCESTER - City officials said they only learned of the coronavirus outbreak this week at the Walmart Supercenter on Tobias Boland Way through social media postings.

The city ordered the store to close after city officials heard of problems at the store that led to 23 employees testing positive for COVID-19.

massachusetts/more at link

Up until yesterday I've been very pleased with Governor DeWine's handling of the pandemic in Ohio. I was relieved that customers and clients were required to wear face masks as were all employees. But yesterday he caved under pressure and now only employees are mandated to wear masks. Needless to say I'm very disappointed. IMO the Ohio employees have just as much right to be protected from customers as customers have being protecting from employees. Actually I'm more than disappointed, I'm angry.

DeWine clarifies: Masks now required for Ohio employees, recommended for customers

Gov. Mike DeWine on Tuesday relaxed his order on mandatory face coverings for business customers and clients, saying that after receiving input on his decision, mask-wearing will be recommended but not required.

The governor clarified late in the day that masks will still be required for employees under most circumstances.

DeWine said he recognized that the order covering customers was off-putting to many Ohioans who saw it as “one government mandate too far,” the governor said.

“I heard from a lot of different people who felt that, ‘I may wear a mask, or I may not wear a mask, but the government should not be telling me what to do,’” DeWine said.

As of Tuesday night, the first protocol on DeWine’s online list for businesses starting to reopen said: “Require face coverings for employees and recommend them for clients/customers at all times.”

On Monday, the governor said: “No masks, no work, no service, no exception.”
I would be disappointed and angry too.

I wonder if individual businesses will make their own policies that customers have to wear a mask to enter. They might have to, if customers don't want to enter a place where fellow shoppers are not wearing masks.

But if most people don't care about making the small effort of preventing spread of the virus by wearing a mask in a shared space, well, ....IDK what to say. Good luck?

jmo

Coronavirus: Over-50s should be in isolation longer, says study | Daily Mail Online

Experts Say Younger People Should Be The First Groups Released From Lockdown

It Is Based On Evidence That Younger People Are Less Likely To Die From Covid-19

The Over-50S Are 20 Times More Likely To Die From Coronavirus Than 20-Year-Olds

"Keeping the over-50s in isolation longer and requiring people to prove their age when out and about is 'the safest way out of lockdown', researchers claim.

A Warwick University study found that a 'rolling age-release strategy' was the best option to end the lockdown introduced to slow the spread of the deadly coronavirus."

Coronavirus: Over-50s should be in isolation longer, says study | Daily Mail Online

Experts Say Younger People Should Be The First Groups Released From Lockdown

It Is Based On Evidence That Younger People Are Less Likely To Die From Covid-19

The Over-50S Are 20 Times More Likely To Die From Coronavirus Than 20-Year-Olds

"Keeping the over-50s in isolation longer and requiring people to prove their age when out and about is 'the safest way out of lockdown', researchers claim.

A Warwick University study found that a 'rolling age-release strategy' was the best option to end the lockdown introduced to slow the spread of the deadly coronavirus."
I really dislike the age segregation (yes, I know older people are more vulnerable) as I fear it will justify age discrimination. Many people over 50 are part of the work force, and I worry they will be pushed out when they still need, want, and are capable of working. This is a real concern, imo.

jmo

Last edited:
Nope. But we have been getting them in again at work (health care) now as well as the SaniCloth ones Super Sani-Cloth Surface Disinfectant Germicidal Wipes. (Obviously the Clorox ones we get are packaged differently/higher potency probably etc but I was assuming they’re prioritizing those over the consumer branded ones)

Out of curiosity, has anyone here been able to find Clorox wipes? I finally gave up but just wondering if others have had luck, and how that supply and availability is doing in other areas.

In response to the filing, Newsom’s office released a statement, saying “California is taking legally justified and morally necessary action to assist all Californians impacted by COVID-19. These actions benefit public health and the economic well-being of families and communities hit hardest by this pandemic. We look forward to defending what we know to be right in court.”

https://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/capitol-alert/article242234386.html

I really dislike the age segregation (yes, I know older people are more vulnerable) as I fear it will justify age discrimination. Many people over 50 are part of the work force, and I worry they will be pushed out they still need, want, and are capable of working. This is a real concern, imo.

jmo
I hear ya. But it is what it is. Us older folks are more likely to die from the virus. That's the reality.

Do we stay totally shutdown, to avoid future age discrimination?

Maybe the older workers could work from home, while the younger ones work onsite?

SCOTT GOTTLIEB

In U.S., slope of curve coming down covid epidemic far more gradual than slope going up, and for most of country, new cases have only plateaued or are still rising, and we hover around 30,000 total daily cases; 2,000 deaths. Some states are declining (OH, ID, FL, SD). Many aren’t Scott Gottlieb, MD on Twitter

Daily reported new covid19 cases and deaths have moved around but remained on a mostly flat trend line for weeks. (Photos courtesy of @NYTHealth) Scott Gottlieb, MD on Twitter

Scott Gottlieb, MD on Twitter

Attachments

• IMG_20200430_142222.jpg
    IMG_20200430_142222.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20200430_142226.jpg
    IMG_20200430_142226.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20200430_142230.jpg
    IMG_20200430_142230.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20200430_142247.jpg
    IMG_20200430_142247.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20200430_142251.jpg
    IMG_20200430_142251.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 3
Excellent post as always. The Sweden experiment is something I check in on everyday. Because I don't know if they are wrong or right.

Are all lives equal? Is the man at 85 in end of life care "worth" the same as a child? I don't think there is a need to go there.

I am obsessed with trying to understand the truth, through the misinformation put out there. What ever happened to reporting the facts by the media?

I asked a well educated engineer from work yesterday, and he guessed the average age of a CV death in Massachusetts was 60, and 75% had underlying health issues. He was very worried about COVID-19. And he is 25. He watches the news.

You say the median death age in Sweden is 75, all I can go by is Massachusetts which has finally revealed CV data (can't get national data). The median age of death is 82 (79 is the average life expectancy), and 98% of CV deaths had pre-existing conditions. What do we do with the information? What are the myriad of implications of destroying economies, both nationally and abroad?

What should we do?

1) Do nothing and cull the herd- it nature's course. They are the vulnerable. We all will die anyway. Protect our way of life. Get to herd immunity.

2) Lockdown now and when needed in the future, every life must be saved. Lives matter more than livelihood of the country.

This virus is uniquely targeting those with the weakest immune system. Is this good or bad? It is very good that it does not attack children. Healthy people under 50 have little chance of death from CV. Those within underlying health issues or are over 70 years old are in danger.

3) Is there a third choice- Do we need to quarantine everyone or just those at risk?
I don't know and would like epidemiology and economic experts to talk about this. Can we save more lives this way looking at the big picture? Maybe, maybe not.

I’m 57 and in good health, and seriously believe I have a better chance of dying from the seasonal flu than COVID-19, and I don’t get a flu shot. Note- I have learned a lot about infectious diseases and will get a flu shot going forward, it ain’t about me.

You are "elderly". Knowledge come with education and experience, and experience is acquired through the years. Not sure what elderly means but if you are at risk, I very much want you protected, and furloughed with a job to go back to. Can we do that with all at-risk workers and older vulnerable people?

Your post should be read by all, as you outline three general courses of action and all have moral and economic arguments both for and against.

I don't feel "elderly," and never thought I'd be considering retirement a bit early. Fortunately, I do have a job where I can work from home and I'm pretty sure that my employer will encourage me to do so indefinitely. It will be up to me, though.

Do I want to be a "shut-in" forever? What do I do with the knowledge that average LE may be dropping? Next year, I think we'll see that people who have both flu and CoVid are in danger of dying. The median age for CoVid deaths will be known for sure, and it will be lower in the US than in, say, Sweden.

I too watch Sweden daily. They are getting a bit alarmed at their strategy of "no containment, herd immunity." I can understand why they're doing it this way, it's what human communities have done for centuries. If the median age at death in Sweden (a healthy nation) is around 79, then that means that all of us should strive to be as healthy as possible. This is a personal decision and it's one we should all be deciding upon.

So, I'll go for my walk today, I'll continue to try and eat properly, get lots of sleep (always a problem for me). I'd say that I'm a generally healthy but overweight 65 year old with a history of asthma - and blood clots. The blood clots were caused by a doctor who put me on an Rx (talked me into it, really) that has a known association with blood clots - but only 1 in 100,000 women had that reaction. I was one of them. So...am I really healthy?

Maybe not. My family sure thinks I should try to avoid getting CoVid, as for me, it would likely be more serious than the flu. I almost never get the flu, despite being in classrooms for years. I almost never get the flu shot either, but I will probably get one next year - as it may help with general immunity plus it's clear that people who get both CoVid and the flu are in a lot of distress and are very ill, whether they die or not.

I'm curious, @The Night Watchman, how you're thinking about the next 10 years. In 10 years, you'll be "elderly." If you got CoVid between now and your 60th birthday, the chances of you surviving or even having mild symptoms are very high.

But if you don't - then do you ever think about what happens as your 67th birthday approaches? The rates of CV19 should be much lower by then. Or we'll have something of a vaccine. I have lots of friends, family and colleagues who are your age. Will our workplaces continue to support allowing 65+ people to work from home, etc? SSN doesn't kick in until around 67 for most of you.

I guess I'm asking to what degree your own longterm planning is affected by this pandemic (and the global economic chaos into which we are descending).

I think that for people your age, we need to reopen as sanely and softly as possible, but without a near-term reopening, people's health is going to be affected by more than just CoVid which, as you rightly point out, is probably not a very great threat to you.

You can imagine how even younger people are feeling - their whole lives disrupted, future opportunities cut short, for a disease that has little biological impact on them.

except for the older folks who work in essential jobs :(
Retail, service jobs etc And all those teachers and nurses.
I can’t do my job from home Sucks to be older and essential *shrug*
(I’m under 60 -fifty something —but still concerned about catching it and being hospitalized or bringing it home to the family )
I’m hearing whispers of furloughs of other departments (nurses are already being furloughed )so maybe It’ll be out of my hands soon enough anyway

Rsbm
Maybe the older workers could work from home, while the younger ones work onsite?

Last edited:
I hear ya. But it is what it is. Us older folks are more likely to die from the virus. That's the reality.

Do we stay totally shutdown, to avoid future age discrimination?

I envision age discrimination to increase "for old people's own good." I am concerned about a slippery slope.

I'm not interested in defending what concerns me, tbh.

jmo

Last edited:
NEW: Sen. Kamala Harris announces bill to create task force "to confront the racial and ethnic disparities of the coronavirus pandemic head on.

Sen. Kamala Harris, D-Calif., on Thursday announced new legislation -- the COVID-19 Racial and Ethnic Disparities Task Force Act -- to create a task force to combat the way minorities are being impacted by the coronavirus.

"People of color are being infected and dying from coronavirus at astounding rates," Harris said in a statement. "This is in part due to persistent lack of access to health care, bias in our health care system, systematic barriers to equal pay and housing, and environmental injustice. It is critical that the federal government proactively work to right historical wrongs that have led to racial inequities for generations."

The legislation would require the task force experts and government officials to "make data-driven recommendations to federal agencies about directing crucial resources—like testing kits, testing supplies, and personal protective equipment (PPE)—to communities with racial and ethnic disparities in COVID-19 infection, hospitalization and death rates."

EW3rLK_XgAMJreB

ABC News on Twitter

Coronavirus updates: Potential COVID-19 treatment shows 'glimmer of hope,' researcher says

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasCuriousMynd