Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #52

Discussion in 'Coronavirus - Covid-19' started by Amonet, Jan 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. katydid23

katydid23 Well-Known Member

She and her husband should have been receiving social security. It is sad that she needed to work in a risky job at the same time as the pandemic, and they couldn't have found a way to make the extra money without being in such a public job at this time. :(

2. Trino

Trino Well-Known Member

That said, young people can spread it. We are not all a single generational family.

3. Ragnarok

Ragnarok Well-Known Member

Anyone have experience with the 3M cartridge type respirator masks?

I've used the typical 3M type N95 masks for years doing projects but only had one left over when the virus hit. Won't happen again. Had an AERO P100 cartridge type mask I used when I sanded the lead paint off of our 100 YO farm house dining room floor. Unfortunately, AERO company was acquired by 3M and the AERO respirators were discontinued and replacement filters are unavailable. Not recommended to use filters between different brands.

TIA

4. Trino

Trino Well-Known Member

That said, young people can spread it. We are not all a single generational family.

Tadpole12 likes this.
  5. Seattle1

Seattle1 #LiveLikeLizzy

Really, @otto?!! :)

Semantics.....

Remdesivir....antiviral drug used to treat Ebola...

ebola drug - بحث Google

6. 10ofRods

10ofRods Verified Anthropologist

Basically, it rides INSIDE the water packet, until that aerosol is deep in your lungs, where the particle opens up, you breathe, and voilà! You're now infected.

There's a ton of really interesting research on this part of viral transmission (it's not just CoVid of course). When humidity goes up, the newly sneezed or coughed out packets from someone else is just one of millions of bits of wetness in the air (nicely wrapped up in their mucous, which provides a temporary boost to the life of the virus outside its host). So, while you still breathe it in, as a percentage of the water molecules you're breathing in, it's a low percentage. This seems to matter with this virus.

In dry weather, there's virtually no moisture in the area, so the virion-laden packets are the only moisture breathed into already dry lungs, which crave the humidity and the percentage of infected packets is very high (if you're in a room already contaminated or nearby a transmitter).

Apparently, though, once the virus does attach itself to water molecules in a humid environment, those molecules by their nature are pulled by gravity down to the ground (which is why there's sometimes still dew even in dry environments). Once the virus is on the ground, unless you too are crawling around or putting your hands on the ground, you're unlikely to get it. In several studies, 100% of hospital floor samples tested positive for CV-19 in CoVid wards, whereas bed railings had considerably less (still a lot, but nothing like the floor). The more humid the place was, the faster the virus ended up on the floor.

So shoe protocol is important. I figure I don't have CV in my house. I am not the least bit afraid of cooking spray or the like. Where would the CV come from in the first place? It's so rapidly killed by hot sun (and we have that here in SoCal), I rely on leaving packages in our sunroom for 2-3 hours up to 2-3 days, depending on whether we really need to use it.

But I'm a bit of a weirdo in that I'm willing to risk 1-2 virion getting into my respiratory system; what I'm trying to avoid is 30,000 per sneeze by the guy behind me on the plane, who is sneezing 12-20 times an hour.

7. Ragnarok

Ragnarok Well-Known Member

Speedy recovery @FrostOwl

8. Inthedetails

Inthedetails Well-Known Member

LadyL, SugarQueen, PommyMommy and 7 others like this.
  9. weepingangel

weepingangel Well-Known Member

Oooo I have an interesting anecdote about those temperature checks being done on employees. But have to go Work and be temp checked so I’ll try and remember to post later :D

10. katydid23

katydid23 Well-Known Member

They can spread it but they can't spread to vulnerable people who are quarantined.

Multigenerationl families might have to figure out other alternatives during this pandemic. Maybe the living quarters will be separated and precautions taken.

Or maybe some family members will have to stay somewhere else temporarily?

My cousin used to take care of her elderly father in her home. But she has 2 college kids, who both returned home and are working outside the home.

So she moved her father into her brother's home because he lives alone and is sheltering in place.

Grandpa grumbled and didn't like the move, but it is what it is right now.

I have a friend who has been raising her grandson, who is 12. She has had him since he was 5 and his mother lost custody. She adopted her grandson.

But she is vulnerable because she has MS and is in her 60's. She wants him to be able to go back to school soon, when California allows them to, maybe in July. So she is having her boy transition to her son's family for awhile. Luckily, he loves his cousins and enjoys visiting there so now he will live with them until things are safer for all of us.

Hard decisions to make but necessary discussions.

TAM121, WideOpen, PommyMommy and 9 others like this.
  11. Henry2326

Henry2326 Well-Known Member

LOGANSPORT, Ind. (WISH) — The Cass County Health Department on Wednesday afternoon said it has seen just under 1,200 positive COVID-19 cases. Almost 900 employees at the Tyson Food plant in Cass County’s Logansport have tested positive.

Serenity Alter is the Cass County Health Department administrator and she is expecting the numbers of positive cases to continue to climb.

“We were in good shape for a couple weeks and then just within the couple weeks it kind of blew up,” said Alter.

Alter says she is fairly certain after tracing the contacts of positive tests, that the outbreak started with a Tyson employee. The Tyson plant is just one concern for Cass County; there are two other meat processing plants within a 30-minute drive of Logansport and there are several households that have people working in multiple plants.

“It is a lot ya know we are up there I don’t know what 2 or 3 in the state and that is not something we want to be known for, but it is where we are and it is something we are gonna have to work through,” said Browning.

Alter says they are not ready for a reopening in Cass County.

“With our numbers increasing the way they are, hopefully we will not be one of those regions just quite yet,” she said.

The health department in Cass County is expecting their peak to come in the next two weeks.

Nearly 900 at Tyson Foods plant test positive for coronavirus - WISH-TV | Indianapolis News | Indiana Weather | Indiana Traffic

12. pocketaccent

pocketaccent Well-Known Member

(Done.)

Newsom orders temporary closure of all beaches in Orange County after Newport Beach saw crowds

All beaches in Orange County must temporarily close over concerns the region is not heeding stay-at-home orders, Gov. Gavin Newsom said Thursday.
    “We’re gonna do a hard close in that part of the state, just in the Orange County area,” Newsom said.

The state is working with the county to temporarily close state and local beaches in O.C., according to Newsom. That change comes after the governor wrote a memo addressing police chiefs around the state and ordering the closure of all beaches in California.

13. tresir2012

tresir2012 Former Member

This only mentions US so presumably not UK.
    They have been open in Wales. They are a builders merchants as well as DIY and builders merchants are considered essential in UK.

cass523, Tadpole12, Bravo and 2 others like this.
  14. tresir2012

tresir2012 Former Member

Anyone have any idea why a food plant would have such a high incidence of cases? It mentions it started with 1 employee.

cass523, Tadpole12 and Lilibet like this.
  15. Inthedetails

Close working conditions and, imo, poor benefits. Sometimes in places like that, you call in sick, you get no pay or even fired. So, once someone has it, it spreads to co-workers.
    jmo

16. Inthedetails

JaneEyre, cass523, cody22 and 2 others like this.
  17. tresir2012

tresir2012 Former Member

Do kids under 10 use laptops in school? Guess I am behind the times in my thoughts.

18. 10ofRods

10ofRods Verified Anthropologist

Actually, children's immunity is better with each passing year (up until they are in their late teens). Further, it's really hard to get k-3 to wear masks properly.

If we actually practice distancing in the schools, which I believe we must, then only half the kids can be there at one time. This has been done before in many times and places, including in 20th century America (for various reasons).

Don't you think older kids would be better at following instructions? We have almost no fatalities for this disease under the age of 20. Vulnerable kids would have to stay home, of course. Most of those fatalities were in fact kids with serious underlying conditions (all of them, IIRC, in the US).

At the same time, I realize that parents of kids under 12 really need the childcare - but they may have to realize that it will only be half day sessions. If we roll out a K-4 segment first, with disinfection of classrooms and everyone wearing masks, and only half the regular number of students - so only half days at school, then in 2-3 weeks we'd know a lot more about what could happen when we try the same for older kids.

In an alternate model, which might require emergency changes to some state education policies, we could open grades K-5 or K-6 but use all available classrooms (high school, middle school, rooms in rec centers, etc) and put a teacher in each classroom with kids there for the full day - but in lower numbers. IOW, high school and middle school teachers would have to rapidly adapt to younger kids and very different curriculum

Sunny123, PommyMommy, cass523 and 2 others like this.
  19. Bravo

Bravo Well-Known Member

I wish these covidiots/demonstrators could spend a day in an ER or a Long Term Care Home :mad:

20. weepingangel

weepingangel Well-Known Member

did you check eBay?

Tadpole12 and Bravo like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.