Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #52

Discussion in 'Coronavirus - Covid-19' started by Amonet, Jan 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JaneEyre

JaneEyre Well-Known Member

I, and a lot of the people I know, feel that by keeping the rural areas under the same rules as the cities with bigger problems, we are preventing those problems from coming here.

2. Midgie2

Midgie2 Well-Known Member

True. And Thank You. : )
    I also can see that viewpoint. There just seems to be such divisiveness, and I’m trying to see the pros and cons to each side.

3. MimosaMornings

MimosaMornings Well- Known Member

Wouldn’t you need to keep people within that radius zone to do that?
    I guess that would work if you closed off small towns and not let anyone in or out - so no exposure from the larger cities? IDK

Tadpole12, Lilibet, Midgie2 and 2 others like this.
  4. margarita25

margarita25 “Science, Solutions and Solidarity” - Dr. Tedros

Thanks tmar.

Aerodynamic analysis of SARS-CoV-2 in two Wuhan hospitals

“Abstract
    The ongoing COVID-19 outbreak has spread rapidly on a global scale. While the transmission of SARS-CoV-2 via human respiratory droplets and direct contact is clear, the potential for aerosol transmission is poorly understood1–3. This study investigated the aerodynamic nature of SARS-CoV-2 by measuring viral RNA in aerosols in different areas of two Wuhan hospitals during the COVID-19 outbreak in February and March 2020. The concentration of SARS-CoV-2 RNA in aerosols detected in isolation wards and ventilated patient rooms was very low, but it was elevated in the patients’ toilet areas. Levels of airborne SARS-CoV-2 RNA in the majority of public areas was undetectable except in two areas prone to crowding, possibly due to infected carriers in the crowd. We found that some medical staff areas initially had high concentrations of viral RNA with aerosol size distributions showing peaks in submicrometre and/or supermicrometre regions, but these levels were reduced to undetectable levels after implementation of rigorous sanitization procedures. Although we have not established the infectivity of the virus detected in these hospital areas, we propose that SARS-CoV-2 may have the potential to be transmitted via aerosols. Our results indicate that room ventilation, open space, sanitization of protective apparel, and proper use and disinfection of toilet areas can effectively limit the concentration of SARS-CoV-2 RNA in aerosols. Future work should explore the infectivity of aerosolized virus.”

5. RANCH

RANCH Well-Known Member

Here's some info about California's taxes. At least you don't have to worry about state taxes for awhile.

Sacramento – The Franchise Tax Board (FTB) today announced updated special tax relief for all California taxpayers due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

FTB is postponing until July 15 the filing and payment deadlines for all individuals and business entities for:

• 2019 tax returns
    • 2019 tax return payments
    • 2020 1st and 2nd quarter estimate payments
    • 2020 LLC taxes and fees
    • 2020 Non-wage withholding payments

https://www.ftb.ca.gov/about-ftb/ne...til-july-15-due-to-the-covid-19-pandemic.html

6. firebird

firebird Former Member

7. margarita25

margarita25 “Science, Solutions and Solidarity” - Dr. Tedros

Qmfr:

Omg look: it’s APVLD! (“Aerosol plumes of virus-laden diarrhea”) Seriously! We already knew this from the Hong Kong SARS cluster. See my BBM.

8. 10ofRods

10ofRods Verified Anthropologist

Rural areas have to worry about in-coming humans. Such areas are virus-virgins (if truly rural - like my hometown was in the 1968 HongKong flu pandemic).

But almost no people leave away from a settlement, and a gas station is somewhere around - so people come in and out. It’s the gas station workers/grocery store clerks/restaurant owners who need to be masked, distancing, washing many times a day - and tested occasionally.

This could keep rates to zero - or virtually zero. This can be expanded to a larger area if everyone cooperates and all roads/methods leading in and out of the place are monitored. I was noticing today that in the very very small town we drove to, they had Sheriffs had either end of town. Only one road goes through. No stop lights. One store and one drive-in, no gas station. No post office. About 1000 people live around that town, many on acreage. Big signs on every side road saying PRIVATE ROAD and some saying ROAD CLOSED to all but locals. We had just been down that road 2 months ago. It’s not legally closed - the sign is not official. The locals put it up.

But if the opposite is true and someone puts a sign that says “bait store” on that one little store and an arrow that says “GOOD FISHING - WE SELL ICE,” it will be crowded just like a certain place about 10 miles away - I could not believe how many people were there even though the county has mandated Stay at Home.

Naturally, the gas station in the next largest town brings all these people together...

9. Ragnarok

Ragnarok Well-Known Member

10. MimosaMornings

I wish we had zero dead in every city.
    San Diego is the second largest city in California with 1.426 million people.
    How did it not spread there?

11. RANCH

RANCH Well-Known Member

12. LadyL

LadyL Well-Known Member

maybe they all wore masks ;)

13. cody22

cody22 Former Member

14. KALI

KALI Well-Known Member

It helps a lot if you look at . The numbers.
    Imo. None of the numbers, equate to the panic our news media likes to exaggerate.
    Imo. Elderly people in poorly run facilities make up close to 50% of our death count.
    Why don't our leaders address THIS fact ?
    Why don't they do something ABOUT this fact??
    All I hear about is locking down the healthy people.
    Fix the long care homes!
    Let us make a living with guidelines!
    Guys. I cannot even tell you how bad financially these decisions by our leaders is going to hurt the USA.

15. Midgie2

Midgie2 Well-Known Member

So, by reopening on a smaller scale we would have people going to the “opened up” areas vs. the closed. An example being, liquor, tobacco, fireworks, etc.
    I get it now : )

16. cody22

cody22 Former Member

17. Tippy Lynn

Tippy Lynn Well-Known Member

The taxpayers are having the same issue as the municipalities are. Increasing the taxes won't fix the financial crisis. I don't see how we're going to dig out from this mess. It's going to be a LONG road ahead for the majority.

18. MimosaMornings

19. cass523

cass523 Well-Known Member

Nearly 70 residents sickened with the coronavirus have died at a Massachusetts home for aging veterans, as state and federal officials try to figure out what went wrong in the deadliest known outbreak at a long-term care facility in the U.S.

While the death toll at the state-run Holyoke Soldiers' Home continues to climb, federal officials are investigating whether residents were denied proper medical care and the state's top prosecutor is deciding whether to bring legal action.

“It's horrific,” said Edward Lapointe, whose father-in-law lives at the home and had a mild case of the virus. “These guys never had a chance."

Sixty-eight veteran residents who tested positive for the virus have died, officials said Tuesday, and it's not known whether another person who died had COVID-19. Another 82 residents and 81 employees have tested positive.

The home's superintendent, who's been placed on administrative leave, has defended his response and accused state officials of falsely claiming they were unaware of the scope of the problem there.

Republican Gov. Charlie Baker's administration has hired an outside attorney to conduct an investigation into the deaths. Massachusetts Attorney General Maura Healey is also investigating to determine “what went wrong at this facility and determine if legal action is warranted."

Nearly 70 dead in ‘horrific’ outbreak at veterans home

20. cody22

cody22 Former Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.