Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #56

Discussion in 'Coronavirus - Covid-19' started by Amonet, Jan 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sunny123

Sunny123 Well-Known Member

The pool we have for villa residents was open and being used. However, there is a group of people using it whom weren't practicing social distancing, and now it has been closed again.

2. Bravo

Bravo Well-Known Member

We had a hand written letter arrive in our mailbox early today. Wanting to buy our House??? Claimed to have purchased 11 properties in our area and wanting 3 more. It was a lengthy letter. Will purchase without any kind of tour inside. It went thru the shredder and I washed my hands. Lordy!

3. LadyL

LadyL Well-Known Member

4. CSIDreamer

CSIDreamer Well-Known Member

Unpopular nowadays, but sometimes parents just have to say, "like it or not, I AM the boss of you". :)

Tadpole12, LadyL, pandaknows and 17 others like this.
  5. imstilla.grandma

imstilla.grandma Believer of Miracles ❤️Justice for Gannon

6. The Night Watchman

The Night Watchman Former Member

Tadpole12, LadyL, pandaknows and 18 others like this.
  7. Simply Southern

Simply Southern Well-Known Member

Thank you Nick !!!!

Combining Models, New Projection Puts U.S. Coronavirus Deaths At 110,000 By June 6

Enter Nicholas Reich, a biostatistician at University of Massachusetts Amherst. Reich and his colleagues have developed a method to compare and ultimately to merge the diverse models of the disease's progression into one "ensemble" projection. The resulting forecast is sobering. By June 6, it projects, the cumulative death toll in the U.S. will reach 110,000.

Reich's approach builds on work he has done over the past four years for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, pulling together the many forecasts that U.S. experts create annually to predict how that year's seasonal influenza will play out.

8. Fleur-de-lis

Fleur-de-lis Merrily we scroll along

As the quote goes, there are two times to make serious money - in the buildup to a crisis, and in the breakdown afterwards...People with some ready cash can really be sitting pretty if they use the opportunities coming up -- but it's sad...

Tadpole12, LadyL, pandaknows and 10 others like this.
  9. firebird

firebird Former Member

None of those children in the report cited in the OP died. And there were only 5 children involved in the first place. The point of the article was that children may present differently than adults who are Covid positive.

10. MimosaMornings

MimosaMornings Well- Known Member

Mine grew up with some unpopular parenting decisions! They are just struggling with three younger ones and both working from home. Its far from a Hallmark card scene.

Tadpole12, Suglo, LadyL and 13 others like this.
  11. 24Roses

24Roses Well-Known Member

12. mickey2942

mickey2942 Well-Known Member

Telling kids that they can't go swimming, can't go for ice cream, no mall, no to everything, can't visit friends, on and on...seems to add a huge layer to parenting right now.

I have had this issue with my husband, who wants certain things from the store, like everything is "normal". He just doesn't seem to "get it".

Families are having some hard times now. It concerns me.

13. gngr~snap

gngr~snap Verified Pediatric Nurse Georgia

14. 10ofRods

10ofRods Verified Anthropologist

Thank you! (I just remove IMHE from my main dashboard due to this - it's not the only area, and there are now much better projections than theirs - ironically, their only purpose was to analyze health resource use around the globe, they get an F from me - it's not the only error in their data).

It seemed really odd to me that there would be so few ICU beds in Ireland (although, I suppose, if the Irish are super-healthy, it could be the case). I've never been to Ireland and really want to go. Your data show that Ireland has more per capita beds than many other places I've been, and way more than enough to deal with CoVid as you've dealt with it.

We have 7400 ICU beds in California. Half of those are in or near Los Angeles (10 million people). We worried that would not be enough (it was enough - L.A. has approximately 3200 ICU units).

Ireland has really good life expectancy to begin with, but therefore more older people, which probably helps explain the overall mortality rate.

Tadpole12, cass523, JaneEyre and 8 others like this.
  15. KALI

KALI Well-Known Member

# PRAYING #

Tadpole12, RANCH, cass523 and 9 others like this.
  16. Mo Thuairim

Mo Thuairim Well-Known Member

We're definitely not super healthy as a population alas. Lifestyle illnesses are on the rise here but yes overall we have a high life expectancy of about 82 on average. Most of our Covid-19 deaths have been in nursing homes and the vast majority of those elderly people would never have made it as far as a hospital or ICU. It's very sad.
    Coronavirus: Care facilities have more than 62% of overall deaths

17. Trino

Trino Well-Known Member

(Response to another part of post.)
    Second wave will gradually come IMO.
    Interesting what Australia did. No travel between provinces. They had people stationed to stop travel. There, obviously, are too many roads in the US vs going across Australia, but the US made no attempts to really stop domestic travel.

18. 10ofRods

10ofRods Verified Anthropologist

My daughter sits on the Board of her HOA, and has set up a pool reservation system, so that only one household unit at a time can be there, for one hour slots. They're going to remove all the pool furniture and ask that people bring their own. My input was that pools have chlorine in them anyway, so not such a bad environment for kids and of course, everyone needs the sun.

They haven't voted on it yet, but as she's the only one who has taken an interest in trying to open it, I suspect this system will be the one they use.

We do live in a place where the overall case rate is just 4 people in 10,000, and only 2 new cases in the last 5 days (in nursing homes). There are a lot of older people in the complex, but in an informal survey of them, it turns out they are aware of risks and unlikely to want to use the pool, but would be able to reserve a time just for themselves, which they appreciate.

19. musicaljoke

musicaljoke Well-Known Member

Right on. You need to hang your message from a flag pole. Let's figure this out before sending kids into the line of fire.

20. tresir2012

tresir2012 Former Member

<modsnip: removed political commentary> This was not an unsafe, untested drug by the sound of it.

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2020
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.