Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #58

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you!

Hawaii has real antipathy toward imported diseases. For good reason. 18 year old posting pictures of self breaking quarantine?

Why am I not shocked?
Yes...thank you for remarking to my post so I could look at other information to understand your point of view. All good Rods!

It is all about everyone 's opinion my friend...

Rods

Last edited:
I just happened to be reading some history of our church, and noted that in 1918, the congregation was unsure whether or not they should cancel church because of the "illness". They decided that they would ask the local medical doctor and abide by his recommendation. There were no more entries in the church records for the rest of that year, so I expect that church was suspended.

It's probably not much different these days. Most churches will respond in intelligent, well-informed ways after seeking proper advice. But, there will be some that will leave us shaking our heads.

Just turned on the TV and hundreds of church closings scrolling at the bottom.....all say Closed UNTIL further notice.

This was not showing up after the 6:30 news. That's was really quick.

Guess folks in SW Virginia have the same idea as your church in 1918.

Just turned on the TV and hundreds of church closings scrolling at the bottom.....all say Closed UNTIL further notice.

This was not showing up after the 6:30 news. That's was really quick.

Guess folks in SW Virginia have the same idea as your church in 1918.
I would imagine most churches really don’t want to be responsible for killing their flock. Plus, that’s bad news long-term for donations if a good portion are six feet under.

Yes, the covid roller coaster can be a rough ride at times. I never knew I had such a wide range of emotions.

Several woman friends and I got together this morning and rode our bikes around the neighborhood (wearing masks and social distancing). We honked our horns, rang our bike bells. Lots of folks came out to say hello or join us on our ride. Because most of us have covid-hair due to four months without haircuts, etc. , we did our hair up in tiny scrunchy pony tails all over our heads. Lots of silly fun and a lot of laughs.

We do the morning and evening walk, with mask, about the same time each day. Its great the neighbors come out, we yell from the sidewalk, ponytails are the new style and it just makes my day. Its rained 8.5 in my area since Sunday, so I've really missed my am/pm visits. Not being able to do the "walking visit" really made me depressed, this week.

Good Morning America May 22, 2020
SOMETHING GOOD

Husband brings date nights to wife's hospital window as she waits on bed rest for son's birth
robert-02-as-ht-200520_hpMain_16x9_608.jpg

PHOTO: Robert Conlin, of Chicago, has been cheering on his pregnant wife Shona Moeller from outside the hospital due to COVID-19 restrictions. (Robert Conlin)
robert-01-as-ht-200520_hpMain_16x9_608.jpg

Yes, @Simply Southern! Also, they are counting antibody tests in with reg COVID test positives, and I don't think this is appropriate...many who've had antibody tests have already had positive tests. I think our numbers are way off in VA.
Yes, they challenge him!! He is the ONLY Governor that is a PHYSICIAN. CBS Richmond, VA, NBC12, NBC4 Washington has developed an I team and we are sending all newspaper/TV that are naming the NH and the number of deaths to complied a list and possible count. The VA Dept of Health is the governing body for NH, ALF in VA.
News4 I-Team Crowdsources Virginia Long-Term Care Outbreaks After State Refuses to Disclose Facility Names

VA Hospital Association is reporting what some facilities report to them. Especially the lack of PPE, which the Governor refuses to give to NHs, says they need to purchase. However he gave out 40k mask to the low income housing projects in Richmond, in one day. They are testing all those that want a test in all Richmond housing projects but not in the 170 nursing homes with outbreaks. Please, don't think I am being judgmental about public housing, my husband worked for HUD and was one of the best Grant writers for the state and recognized by two of our previous governors. We were both passionate about public housing!!

Virginia Licensed Nursing Facility COVID-19 Dashboard

Yes, they ask, and ask, and ask and he just grins and goes to the next question. The pressers are MWF at 2pm. I can send you a link, be prepare to pick your jaw off the floor.

And to add to this craziness, Northern VA is now independent of the state, they are not open, doing their own testing, holding their own pressers and completely ignore the Governor. Now Richmond has decided to not open, holding their own pressers and is working a deal for free testing and housing for those infected. VA Beach is OPEN for business, even though they have major outbreaks at the poultry plants (CDC did testing and VA NOT including in the count). Governor refused to issue order that NVA and Richmond can't come to areas that are open.

I'll provide links for any of the above. I know, its hard to believe, I ask myself after each, is this real?

Moo....

Interview with Dr. Tony Fauci today with a writer for the Chronicle of Higher Education on universities and their plans to reopen in the fall. We had a meeting with our department chairs today (by Webex) at our university as we continue to plan for the fall.

Here is part of Fauci's interview (article link removed because it requires a subscription to open).

(Interviewer) You’ve said that there are going to be some outbreaks, that it’s not going to be a perfectly pristine environment. Should people be preparing for there to be people getting sick and dying on college campuses this fall?

(Dr. Fauci) That is extremely unlikely, but there are always outliers that are not the rule but the exception. From what we’ve seen and our experience thus far with this disease, it is very unlikely that a young, healthy college student is going to get into serious trouble to the point of requiring intensive care and dying. But we’ve seen that. It has happened. It happens rarely, but it happens.

If you were a professor, would you be worried about going back to your campus?

It depends on where you are, where the campus is, the level of infection within the community. I would take special care, follow the guidelines. There’s always a level of anxiety when you’re dealing with an outbreak that is still alive. It isn’t as if we’ve completely suppressed the virus throughout the country, which always leads to vulnerability, particularly when you’re dealing with a situation where you have a lot of people grouped together as you have on a college campus. The best you can do is try to mitigate that by common sense, not hanging out in groups of many people — try to keep it less than 10. Wear a mask, keep physical distancing, and do the best you can."

Last edited:
Wow Nick just keeps on fighting. I was so worried earlier this week when he had another of many setbacks.
Nick Cordero takes ‘step forward’ after 2 steps back, wife says

I glad for the "one step forward" today. The previous post, tore my heart out. I was sobbing.

She has truly kept the faith for Nick and is an inspiration.

Quoting from post....

“It’s been another roller coaster but this one goes out to the doctors and nurses at Cedars-Sinai, the power of prayer and the power of energy and support,” she said. “Positivity is, I’m sorry, unsurmountable.”

Yes, Hansen's disease is one reason. (Leprosy). Which almost decimated Native islanders.

Yep. And they remember. There are a lot of other diseases that don't typically strike Hawaiians unless they start eating Western (diabetes).

But it's deep cultural knowledge to shut islands/cut off social contact in times of plague.

Yes...thank you for remarking to my post so I could look at other information to understand your point of view. All good Rods!

It is all about everyone 's opinion my friend...

Rods

That's me! Terrible fear of fishing, but tend to beat horses. Figuratively.

I have a few friends in Virginia wearing those same tin hats.

I keep deleting FB friends who are conspiracy theorists. There seems to be a lot of mentally ill people who don't believe covid exists or they think Bill Gates manufactured it.

An interesting infographic of UK deaths by age group. I guess the pattern will be similar in the US and elsewhere.

_112412749_deaths_age_depth_640_3x-nc-2.png

Key evidence on opening schools revealed

those deaths of 44 and under will increase when students go back and workers return

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member