Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #58

Status
Not open for further replies.
Confession:

I went on amazon after a few drinks in what I would describe as a panicked state after I could not get toilet paper or tissue via instacart.

So I found some tissues which I thought was a big box and paid out the yingyang for it.

Well apparently the image looked a lot “bigger” on the website...

I received it and it’s basically it’s a small box with three rolls. I paid $30 for it!

Lesson, don’t go on amazon to buy toilet paper if you’ve been drinking!

—-
ETA:

I was hunting and hunting and I think I finally just go so desperate and frustrated I hit “order”.
I once ordered a bag that I thought was a large book type bag. When it showed up it was a tiny little thing. They had dimensions listed, but I believe it was in cm instead of inches. Anyhow, it was more the wallet size rather than the book bag size I envisioned.

I shared my angst over the forced return and acceptance of positive Covid-19 patients to long term care centers, endangering our most fragile elderly previously. Sadly, elderly abuse has been around in these centers as well. But, this blatant physical violence caught on video, from the perpetrator himself is frightening to say the least. If family cannot see their loved ones ( and others) who is watching?
We can do better for our elderly!
First mistake was letting a 20 year old, apparently physically able guy (what exactly did he need rehab for?) into a nursing home full of elderly, to begin with.

Talk about a marriage made in hell:

"However, a recent study under review shows that the genome of the coronavirus isolated from the Malaysian pangolin (Manis javanica) is less similar to SARS-Cov-2, with only 90 percent of genomic concordance. This would indicate that the virus isolated in the pangolin is not responsible for the COVID-19 epidemic currently raging.

However, the coronavirus isolated from pangolin is similar at 99 percent in a specific region of the S protein, which corresponds to the 74 amino acids involved in the ACE (Angiotensin Converting Enzyme 2) receptor binding domain, the one that allows the virus to enter human cells to infect them.

By contrast, the virus RaTG13 isolated from bat R. affinis is highly divergent in this specific region (only 77 percent of similarity). This means that the coronavirus isolated from pangolin is capable of entering human cells whereas the one isolated from bat R. affinis is not.

In addition, these genomic comparisons suggest that the SARS-Cov-2 virus is the result of a recombination between two different viruses, one close to RaTG13 and the other closer to the pangolin virus. In other words, it is a chimera between two pre-existing viruses.

This recombination mechanism had already been described in coronaviruses, in particular to explain the origin of SARS-CoV. It is important to know that recombination results in a new virus potentially capable of infecting a new host species."

Coronavirus Could Be a 'Chimera' of Two Different Viruses, Genome Analysis Suggests

Hello WS friends! I enjoy popping in knowing there are some pretty neat people on here that I can feel some support from and even get a laugh with. It really feels like doom and gloom lately just as I thought this precautions crap was bad enough. My mother in law started chemo last Thursday and Friday so it goes for 6 weeks that way plus Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday were other days of tests. Today her son was able to take over this weekend. My 23 year old daughter lost her job so she and I got her grandma to all of the appointments and cared for her at her home. Hate clinic and hospitals beyond hating! She has no immunity so it is a scary time. Dropped her off for an appointment - saw an incident driving through the bank where a woman touched the bank buttons so forth then plastered her same hand over her mouth and face to rest that way! I think I had a surge of high blood pressure, maybe panic seeing this as my nerves were at their peak already. Seriously my daughter had to calm me down lol. Anyway, thinking I might have gone a bit crazy from that fright but all is good as it can get for now. Hope everyone is hanging in there as well. We are not alone!

This was not a control study. It is a group of researchers who looked at 96k patients with limited information, World Wide. During the heat of the crisis, we knew nothing to little about the virus. Most of our information was based on what China told us, and we know how that worked out.

The article does not qualify who or what type of patient, and underlying diseases, no mention of countries, or stage of illness...

Seriously ill Covid-19 patients who were treated with hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine were more likely to die or develop dangerous heart arrhythmias, according to a large observational study published Friday in the medical journal The Lancet.

Researchers analyzed data from more than 96,000 patients with confirmed Covid-19 from 671 hospitals. All were hospitalized from late December to mid-April, and had died or been discharged by April 21.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)31174-0/fulltext

Moo...Respectfully this is not a study I would bet a life threatening decision on.

It's a huge study and the findings are significant. We'll probably hear more theoughout the day, but the findings certainly indicate that the use of HCQ resulted in increased deaths.

About one in 11 patients who hadn't been treated with either chloroquine or hydroxychloroquine died in hospital, compared to death rates of about one in six for those who took the drugs.

From the link:

The study cohort included 63,315 (65·9%) patients from North America, 16 574 (17·3%) from Europe, 7555 (7·9%) from Asia, 4402 (4·6%) from Africa, 3577 (3·7%) from South America, and 609 (0·6%) from Australia (details of the number of hospitals per continent are presented in the appendix, p 3). The mean age was 53·8 years (SD 17·6), 44 426 (46·3%) were women, mean BMI was 27·6 kg/m2 (SD 5·5; 29 510 [30·7%] were obese with BMI ≥30 kg/m2), 64 220 (66·9%) were white, 9054 (9·4%) were black, 5978 (6·2%) were Hispanic, and 13 519 (14·1%) were of Asian origin (appendix p 4). In terms of comorbidities, 30 198 (31·4%) had hyperlipidaemia, 25 810 (26·9%) had hypertension, 13 260 (13·8%) had diabetes, 3177 (3·3%) had COPD, 2868 (3·0%) had an underlying immunosuppressed condition, 16 553 (17·2%) were former smokers, and 9488 (9·9%) were current smokers. In terms of pre-existing cardiovascular disease, 12 137 (12·6%) had coronary artery disease, 2368 (2·5%) had a history of congestive heart failure, and 3381 (3·5%) had a history of arrhythmia. The mean length of stay in hospital was 9·1 days (SD 6·4), with an overall in-hospital mortality of 10 698 (11·1%) of 96 032.

In summary, this multinational, observational, real-world study of patients with COVID-19 requiring hospitalisation found that the use of a regimen containing hydroxychloroquine or chloroquine (with or without a macrolide) was associated with no evidence of benefit, but instead was associated with an increase in the risk of ventricular arrhythmias and a greater hazard for in-hospital death with COVID-19. These findings suggest that these drug regimens should not be used outside of clinical trials and urgent confirmation from randomised clinical trials is needed.

not sure. I began posting here the latest news from WH press conference happening now. WH Opening all houses of worship today, overriding all governors. .Although new guidelines, it could sound political. , so better safe than sorry. Delete most of post.

Last edited:
Our flu vaccine efficiency rates for the last 10 years mostly hover below 50%. In other words, flu vaccine doesn't guarantee no flu.

Yes! Exactly!

It does not guarantee, just lowers it EXPONENTIALLY

Think of what you just posted in parallel to a link above that says herd immunity could be 10-20% (I MOO think incorrect, but based on CURRENT RT which MSM doesn't understand or explain to the masses MOO)

I think it's higher, but not the point on this post.

Think of the MSM articles which I just responded to that said we would get herd immunity if over 10-20% effective.

Get my drift? They are saying the flu vaccine is only 50% "infected/protected from spreading". It's only needed to get herd immunity!

So 50% less to spread exponentially. Cutting off 50% is HUGE for exponential transmission. @Henry2326 has posted much on stuff in the past here.

It's cutting down on the exponential spread that is so important. For each % point higher, less spread.

So what MSM is totally missing is that if Rt is gotten down significantly with being only 50% effective, that is enough to get the Rt low.

Again... I really think someone from MSM needs to educate folks on such.

MOO

@Henry2326

Hello WS friends! I enjoy popping in knowing there are some pretty neat people on here that I can feel some support from and even get a laugh with. It really feels like doom and gloom lately just as I thought this precautions crap was bad enough. My mother in law started chemo last Thursday and Friday so it goes for 6 weeks that way plus Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday were other days of tests. Today her son was able to take over this weekend. My 23 year old daughter lost her job so she and I got her grandma to all of the appointments and cared for her at her home. Hate clinic and hospitals beyond hating! She has no immunity so it is a scary time. Dropped her off for an appointment - saw an incident driving through the bank where a woman touched the bank buttons so forth then plastered her same hand over her mouth and face to rest that way! I think I had a surge of high blood pressure, maybe panic seeing this as my nerves were at their peak already. Seriously my daughter had to calm me down lol. Anyway, thinking I might have gone a bit crazy from that fright but all is good as it can get for now. Hope everyone is hanging in there as well. We are not alone!

May you be surrounded by love and support! (hugs)

Valid statements. My issue along with the CoVid issue is the abuse of patients that is evident (see video) in government funded centers. Staff these places with people who will care for, and not abuse our vulnerable and elderly. The whole long term care systems need to be revamped!

How do you propose we do that? They're all minimum wage workers, and many states do not require much or any training. A doctor is "on call" and almost never sets foot in these places. Where I live, they have to have two LVN's present at all times, the remainder of the staff are either unpaid student interns or minimum wage workers who attempt to get jobs elsewhere ASAP.

A friend of mine who runs a visiting nurse business requires at least 9 units of LVN training and those people are classified as "carers," but they are still pretty expensive for a family to hire at home (we were looking into it when my dad died in a care home). For an actual nurse, it would have been $200 a day for one visit, but the things she'd have done (blood pressure, check IV) weren't really what we needed - we needed bathing, etc (so an LVN twice a day - $250 for two visits). Hospice visits were paid for by Medicare. But we couldn't have both - and Medicare wouldn't pay for in home nursing care - only care homes. A "carer" would not have been able to check his IV line or change saline - but we were told we could learn to do that ourselves. Carers had to be hired for a minimum of 8 hours a day and cost $225 a day.

He had to be in the care home for a while, in any case, as doctor wouldn't discharge him to at home care until he was able to receive therapy and start walking again.

I wonder what will happen in the fall/winter when people are infected with influenza and SARS-COV2 at the same time.

Actually, if you look at Nicks data in the early days, its clear it was here in US.
Nicholas G. Reich (@reichlab) | Twitter

Nick is responsible for trending/modeling/forcasting flu for the CDC. His early analysis is Dec and Jan show a rise in testing for flu in the US, with a low result in positive test. His CDC grafts clearly show "something" in the US, was happening as folks were you going to Dr and ER with flu like symptoms but testing negative for flu. He tracked down to specific areas of the country, to show "something" was making people sick with flu like symptoms and it WASN'T the flu. He also had the advantage of being in a hotspot in Europe during the early days, experiencing what was happening in Germany and Italy at the time.

This was before we had Covid testing. Now that we have Covid testing,

MOO...ERs and Dr's will so a rapid flu test and if negative test for Covid.

Imho...

What the heck is wrong with people? So many people I know are so much on edge already, inflammatory speech is absolutely irresponsible. Also, school administrators need to keep a cool head, because schools must reopen and there will be risks. Who can trust someone who makes statements like that?
And then there are those people that will shoot a person asking them to wear a mask. This has really brought out some interesting actions by people. Sad and unsafe world more and more.

Nice followup. So the data timeline is dated, but as noted, there has to be a delay to makes conclusions so the outcome can be defined.

The last sentence refers to- Mean number of days from death to reporting (standard deviation) under Parameter Values Related to Healthcare Usage for the Pandemic Planning Scenarios. I think this is a modeling input parameter and does not impact the death rate value of 0.27% (if I read it correctly). I believe the death/discharge outcomes of the March cases were noted until he end of April.

** Estimates only include death dates between March 1, 2020 – March 31, 2020 to ensure sufficient time for reporting.

MOO.. I think this data may have been on the CDC website for awhile, as it has no date and states to be used for states and localities to plan for the pandemic.

Moo..MSM was looking for page filler. Lol

This was not a control study. It is a group of researchers who looked at 96k patients with limited information, World Wide. During the heat of the crisis, we knew nothing to little about the virus. Most of our information was based on what China told us, and we know how that worked out.

The article does not qualify who or what type of patient, and underlying diseases, no mention of countries, or stage of illness.

MOO... Such limited/sketchy information on a "look back" study makes we wonder why bother.

Currently, we know much more, from our own medical experience in the US, the drug does work in certain situations. We now better know who and not to give, who benefits and not, and at what stage in illness to prescribe. What pre-existing conditions do not benefit or could be harmful to use.

Large study finds hydroxychloroquine Covid-19 treatments linked to greater risk of death and heart arrhythmia

Seriously ill Covid-19 patients who were treated with hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine were more likely to die or develop dangerous heart arrhythmias, according to a large observational study published Friday in the medical journal The Lancet.

Researchers analyzed data from more than 96,000 patients with confirmed Covid-19 from 671 hospitals. All were hospitalized from late December to mid-April, and had died or been discharged by April 21.

Here is the actual study. It appears to me the MSM article referenced left a lot of pertinent information out, that would reflect a different perspective from the researchers.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)31174-0/fulltext

The mean age male was 58 yo and female was 46y and only 3% females were used in the study. Wonder why so few females were included?

96k patients from 671 hospitals over 6 continents. Wonder what countries and how reliable the data? How much came from China?

Moo...Respectfully this is not a study I would bet a life threatening decision on.

I read the paper, and respectfully disagree with many of your points that perhaps you got from Main stream media. This is a continuing issue IMO that folks read the headlines and don't do like we do with criminal cases, and take the time to go to the source. MSM folks often have NO idea how to read science articles. MOO

it is incorrect that 3% of females were used in the study. It was 45.2% MOO See screenshot from paper

upload_2020-5-22_15-4-52.png

The paper states what countries the information is from, and to answer your other question.. none are from China (which had the best first paper for the world MOO) See screenshot from paper

upload_2020-5-22_15-3-25.pngupload_2020-5-22_15-3-25.png

Great example of why folks need to go to the source or science and articles vs. not reading beyond the headlines of MSM who don't get it right many times.

I analogize it to criminal cases. MSM often gets it wrong, doesn't interpret correctly. That's why I like Florida to see the evidence. Don't take the word of such perhaps, but look deeper.

It's a darn shame as MSM is .......well........MOO

Here is the paper , it was not at the link that you posted ...........

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)31180-6/fulltext#sec1

BBM: That's not correct. Females were 46.3% of the patients. I'm guessing the way the article shows the period threw you off.

Not 3%.... yeppers!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members