Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #60

Discussion in 'Coronavirus - Covid-19' started by Amonet, Jan 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MimosaMornings

MimosaMornings Well- Known Member

It sounds so simple - just wear a mask.
    Why are people fighting such a simple request - to save so many lives.
    Isn’t this important too?
    JMO

2. JaneEyre

JaneEyre Well-Known Member

It’s a good example of cutting off your own nose to spite your face, as my mother used to say.

3. tresir2012

tresir2012 Former Member

This is latest WHO advice though. So it means for example, use of public transport would require a mask. So WHO don't know what they are talking about.

MimosaMornings, Midgie2 and Bravo like this.
  4. tresir2012

tresir2012 Former Member

5. Bravo

Bravo Well-Known Member

6. Bravo

Bravo Well-Known Member

7. tabitha111

tabitha111 Well-Known Member

I have read various opinions about mask wearing- one is you look weak by wearing one, mostly the males feel this way. Another is you are "frightened" and
    "scared" like a little bunny rabbit..I constantly see the "if you are scared then wear your mask" "if you want to hide out for the rest of your life.." etc...shaming others. I have also seen the finger pointed that if you are wearing a mask you ARE automatically SCARED and they aren't.

I also believe that vanity plays a huge part in it...especially if you are of a certain age- looking at you young adults...they don't want to cover up their beautiful faces, they need to be "attractive" to the opposite sex. I am sure if they are insecure, wearing a mask makes them feel even more insecure regarding how they might appear to others.

8. astheworldfallsdown

astheworldfallsdown Well-Known Member

Coronavirus: One death and eight new cases confirmed in Ireland

HEALTH OFFICIALS HAVE confirmed that one more patient has died as a result of Covid-19 in Ireland.

The Department of Health also said that eight new cases of the disease have been confirmed here.

A total of 1,706 people have now died from Covid-19 in Ireland and there has been a total of 25,303 cases here.

Data from the Health Protection Surveillance Centre as of midnight on Friday, when there were 25,295 cases, shows that the median age of confirmed cases is 48 years.

Of these cases, 3,279 required hospital treatment and 416 of those cases were trated in intensive care units.

Health officials said that 8,130 of cases up to midnight on Friday were associated with healthcare workers.

9. KALI

KALI Well-Known Member

10. ilovewings

ilovewings Well-Known Member

Midgie2, Bravo and MimosaMornings like this.
  11. tabitha111

tabitha111 Well-Known Member

I have also read that the refusal to wear masks or cooperate with any sort of guidelines to protect others is due to ‘American individualism’. Apparently this is seen as a positive trait.

12. Ragnarok

Ragnarok Well-Known Member

margarita25, Midgie2, Bravo and 3 others like this.
  13. ilovewings

ilovewings Well-Known Member

I actually understand if you are really young, like in your late teens and maybe 20's. Looking good is really important----- but when people in their 40's and up start making excuses, like it makes a person look scared or weak: i have no patience for that at all.
    People in their 40s, even 30s are getting the virus and dying from it --- I honestly feel like a lot of people do not understand what a pandemic really is: i think they tend to underestimate the concept of human to human transmission and how powerful this virus is.

14. oviedo

oviedo Well-Known Member

I was in front of a DR in scrubs at aldi today- no mask and he was ignoring the spots for 6 feet apart in the line - about half were wearing masks at both grocery stores today - I’m glad Costco requires the mask

15. Ragnarok

Ragnarok Well-Known Member

Idle musings to get back on threads.

Was able to order 3M half face mask and filters finally from Amazon. Been on watch list for a couple months. Still no regular 3M dust masks so those projects are on indefinite hold.

On another subject I've noticed my usual near 200 Mbps internet speed is consistently now 165 Mbps regardless of time of day. No home network changes so I attribute it to heavy internet use.

I've given up the use of cash. Depending on amount I either use my ATM debit or Credit Card for all transactions. Take a clorox disinfectant wipe with me and wipe down cards after use. The few times I've used cash it involved no change or told the clerk to keep change.

16. gitana1

gitana1 Verified Attorney

Only 45 COVID deaths in San Francisco. A highly populated, dense city.

But there they have masking rules that everyone takes seriously, practice social distancing, high testing numbers and contact tracing.

17. anneg

anneg Well-Known Member

Fortunately, his Medicare and Medicare Advantage insurance will pay for most of the bill. He may end up not owing anything. We need universal health coverage so that no one forgoes needed health care for lack of insurance or funds to pay, or suffers financial disaster due to inability to pay hospital or other health care bills.

My DH was hospitalized years ago with a staph infection that left his aortic valve badly damaged, which then led to surgery to replace the valve. He was on a ventilator for 3 1/2 weeks. He had wonderful HMO-type health insurance through his employer at the time and we never saw an itemized bill like that. We paid only $150 as a copay!

18. gitana1

gitana1 Verified Attorney

I’m surprised an actual doctor could be that dense. Are you sure he was a doctor and not a tech of some sort?

10ofRods, oviedo, Midgie2 and 2 others like this.
  19. doublestop

doublestop Well-Known Member

But they are in lockdown in a group of many people. That's a different situation than being in lockdown with your family of 4 or 5 people.

20. MimosaMornings

MimosaMornings Well- Known Member

You would be surprised - I still get the rolled eyes and “you’re one of those” look when I explain the protocol for aides/techs/nurses that come to the house regarding masks.
    Two of my good friends are nurses in a hot spot and have been to the hair salon twice since they reopened.

You can tell the ones on the zoom calls that have been to the salon - like these comments:
    “Wow, you did a great job with your at home hair color!”
    “What did you use for your root coverup?”
    “You don’t remember what the product was that you used? That’s too bad, it’s as good as what your hair salon did before!”

Of course these are the ones “who haven’t been ANYWHERE”.
    More eye rolling.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.