Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #64

Discussion in 'Coronavirus - Covid-19' started by Amonet, Jan 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KALI

KALI Well-Known Member

We cannot lock up for 6 more months. The financial devastation would bring us to our knees. Moo

byo, RANCH, Simply Southern and 7 others like this.

2. beatrixpotter

beatrixpotter Well-Known Member

Oh, my gosh, that's brutal. I've struggled since January with being able to think too far ahead on how this pans out. Couple this with the inevitable economic disaster looming and this is seriously overwhelming and depressing.

3. Lilibet

Lilibet Watching & Waiting

Fantastic post!

And kids who have experienced the “real life” of the pandemic in the selfless ways you describe will emerge with greater maturity and empathy for others...as better people overall. What kids aren’t able to realize yet is that parties at the beach are never truly lasting or meaningful memories in the grand scheme of life. Neither are missed proms and athletic events. Other events like graduations experienced with pandemic adaptations will be remembered fondly in years to come as a unique experience that binds the class of 2020 together always.

Kids may not appreciate this right now, and I feel awful for them. But in the long run those who acted unselfishly will have the best memories that will last their entire lives and that they will have no regrets.

anneg, 10ofRods, JaneEyre and 16 others like this.
  4. PingTheRouter

PingTheRouter Ghetto Superstar

things are looking worse down here in victoria after we almost eradicated the virus a month a go

we aee almost back where we started months a go, there are rumours about a new lockdown coming and might be announced in an hour

have no problems with a new lockdown whatever works to stop this virus again

FLH, anneg, 10ofRods and 19 others like this.
  5. mickey2942

mickey2942 Well-Known Member

Completely out of context to the OP. Which is the problem with quoting, without context.

This virus has not been attributed to animal agriculture. That is the context. It has been attributed to the "Wet Market" in China. Which has no similarities to animal related agriculture in the United States.

People may not like industrial animal production. But it did not create this Coronavirus. That was the subject.

byo, Tippy Lynn, KALI and 3 others like this.
  6. I'm Just Here

I'm Just Here Well-Known Member

My son is home for a weekend visit and I asked if the extra cloth masks I gave him were working ok at work. He then said no then pulled one out of his pants pocket that he had been wearing because it's the only one he says fits best. He has been putting it in his pocket to leave work and wears it the next day all week long! Washes it on Saturdays, ugg! I wanted to cry but was half laughing at the same time. I had no clue he was doing that. We had a talk and he still thinks I am a bit over cautious. Good grief

anneg, 10ofRods, JaneEyre and 11 others like this.
  7. margarita25

margarita25 Well-Known Member

Informative broadcast with good graphs and charts. Dr. Sanjay Gupta also talks about the hospital capacity situation, referencing Italy. This video also shows how testing is still an issue.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020 at 12:21 AM
    Bailey38, anneg, 10ofRods and 8 others like this.
  8. margarita25

According to this video, there are younger people ending up in the ICU. A nurse talks about a young person with no underlying conditions “gasping for air”. Dr. Birx says “what we’re seeing is an increased hospitalization of twenty to forty year olds”. This is what they’re seeing at Baylor St. Luke’s medical center. A doctor warns young people not to take it for granted they won’t see a serious illness, that he is seeing this first hand:

—-

I’m seeing more and more young people coming on the news and warning people to take it seriously.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020 at 12:23 AM
    anneg, 10ofRods, JaneEyre and 8 others like this.
  9. Midgie2

Midgie2 Well-Known Member

Well, you all have made some good points. In regards to the future...yes, this virus SUCKS, but we still have today, and that is more than some.
    Don’t lose HOPE!

Bailey38, KALI, anneg and 6 others like this.
  10. margarita25

Cheers to Scotland and @gregjrichards - Yay!!!!

11. margarita25

From the above link:

“"We're not in the situation of New Zealand or Singapore or Korea where a new case is rapidly identified and all the contacts are traced and people are isolated who are sick and people who are exposed are quarantined and they can keep things under control," she said in an interview with The Journal of the American Medical Association's Dr. Howard Bauchner. "We have way too much virus across the country for that right now, so it's very discouraging."“

[...]

“"This is really the beginning," Schuchat said of the U.S.'s recent surge in new cases. "I think there was a lot of wishful thinking around the country that, hey it's summer. Everything's going to be fine. We're over this and we are not even beginning to be over this. There are a lot of worrisome factors about the last week or so."“

[...]

“The sheer size of the U.S. and the fact that the virus is hitting different parts of the country at different times complicates the public response here compared with other countries, Schuchat said. South Korea, for example, was able to concentrate their response on the southern city of Daegu, for a time, and contact tracers were quickly deployed when new cases were later found in the capital Seoul.

"What we have in the United States, it's hard to describe because it's so many different outbreaks," Schuchat said. "There was a wave of incredible acceleration, intense interventions and control measures that have brought things down to a much lower level of circulation in the New York City, Connecticut, New Jersey area. But in much of the rest of the country, there's still a lot of virus. And in lots of places, there's more virus circulating than there was."

The coronavirus has proven to be the kind of virus that Schuchat and her colleagues always feared would emerge, she said. She added that it spreads easily, no one appears to have immunity to it and it's in fact "stealthier than we were expecting."

"While you plan for it, you think about it, you have that human denial that it's really going to happen on your watch, but it's happening," she said. "As much as we've studied [the 1918 flu pandemic], I think what we're experiencing as a global community is really bad and it's similar to that 1918 transformational experience."“

anneg, 10ofRods, JaneEyre and 7 others like this.
  12. BHughes

BHughes Northeast corner- Louisiana

LadyL, margarita25, anneg and 5 others like this.
  13. Lilibet

Oregon:

Governor Brown announced today that starting Wednesday July 1, masks will be required in indoor public spaces for both employees and customers alike. As noted below, wearing masks may be the key to keeping businesses open and not having to roll back reopening. Ironically, protestors at the capitol in Salem in early May, pushing for reopening, were for the most part, not wearing masks. Governor Brown started reopening in phases in mid-May and now, to stay open she is requiring masks. It will be interesting to see how this is received. Based on comments on the story and on FB, not well. They wanted to open and get back to work, but aren’t willing to do one small thing to help businesses stay open.

Quoting:
    “From the beginning of the reopening process, I have said that reopening comes with the risk of seeing an increase in COVID-19 cases beyond our health systems’ capacity to test, trace, and isolate them,” said Brown. “Over the last month, we have seen the disease spread at an alarming rate in both urban and rural counties. The upcoming July 4 holiday weekend is a critical point for Oregon in this pandemic, and we can all make a difference."

Brown referenced the latest coronavirus modeling report provided to the Oregon Health Authority, which showed considerable potential for spread of the virus based on data from the past several weeks of reopening.
    <snip>

“I do not want to have to close down businesses again like other states are now doing," Brown said. "If you want your local shops and restaurants to stay open, then wear a face covering when out in public."

BBM

video at link
    Face masks required statewide in Oregon starting this week

margarita25, Midgie2, anneg and 9 others like this.
  14. dmac55

dmac55 Well-Known Member

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2020 at 2:25 AM
    margarita25, Midgie2, anneg and 11 others like this.
  15. Lilibet

Oregon again...

In my rural county in southern Oregon and in the adjoining one, there has been a spike in COVID-19 cases in the past week. I wondered why I was seeing this sudden daily increase, but now I know. Mostly from TWO private parties! :mad:

From the article:
    Contact tracing from many of the recent Rogue Valley cases have a culprit in common, officials said — a combination of travel and socializing without proper precautions. In some cases, people have traveled to the area from higher-risk states and then mingled with local groups, quickly spreading the virus.

Many of the most recent cases have been linked to just two private parties that took place the weekend before last, each with 15 to 30 participants. Contact tracing related to those parties is still under way.
    <snip>

Jackson County health officer Dr. Jim Shames said that he does not advise social gatherings at all, particularly if proper precautions aren't being followed.

Both counties anticipate a continued spike in cases. Over the past several weeks, new cases have skewed toward the younger population and there have been fewer hospitalizations — but that is likely to change. If cases to continue to spread, Dr. Shames said, there is a higher change that it will reach more vulnerable groups.

Josephine County health officer Dr. David Candelaria said that the new statewide mask requirement announced by Governor Brown on Monday has merit, and he hopes that people "adopt new behavior and not stay entrenched in old behavior." Dr. Shames agreed, expressing his surprise at how few people are taking face coverings seriously.

BBM

Jackson and Josephine county health officials discuss the source of new COVID-19 cases

margarita25, Midgie2, anneg and 7 others like this.
  16. sillybilly

sillybilly Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator

neesaki, Chelly, WildOrchid and 23 others like this.
  17. SouthAussie

SouthAussie Well-Known Member

Well, seems that 10 Melbourne 'postcodes' have gone into a specified type of lockdown now. For 4 weeks. Starting tomorrow at midnight.

928 people have refused to be tested.

And all Victorians are not allowed to travel to any other state except NSW. I heard Gladys Berejiklian (NSW Premier) on the radio saying that there is no point in restricting their entry into NSW because there are too many border towns where the residents spend a lot of time on both sides of the state border.

Plus many Victorian retirement homes have gone back into lockdown to protect their residents.

"The Chief Health Officer has advised me to reimpose restrictions in line with stage 3 so they will be stay-at-home orders except for four reasons to leave your home.
    "These orders will be effective from 11:59pm tomorrow night and they will run for four weeks until 29 July.
    "There will only be four reasons that you are permitted to leave your house and only if you really have to.
    "For work or school, for care or care giving, for daily exercise, for food and other essentials. They are the acceptable reasons to leave but only if you need to."
    Live: Andrews says almost 1,000 people refused to have COVID-19 tests as Melbourne suburbs locked down

The 10 Melbourne postcodes to go into coronavirus lockdown

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020 at 3:13 AM
  18. Lilibet

Seriously? I think someone needs new friends! I can’t imagine being friends with people who are “LOVING” that this is happening to others and who “don’t too feel bad” about the mess this or any country is in. If they “talk crap” about people of any country they are ignorant bigots and it’s just as bigoted and offensive to describe Europeans this way. Birds of a feather?
    JMO

19. tresir2012

tresir2012 Thanks to NHS, EMS, Police, Military.♡

If your taverns are still open and you are spread out, as you say, then good for you that you are still supporting them. Ours (2 pub/restaurants) are going to reopen at some point, subject to restrictions I'm sure and we will support them as we want to see them stay in business.

20. tresir2012

tresir2012 Thanks to NHS, EMS, Police, Military.♡

Your daughter is very lucky. The whole of Wales was restricted to a 5 mile radius. I live on the coast so we were restricted to a 5 mile semi circle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.