Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #66

Discussion in 'Coronavirus - Covid-19' started by Amonet, Jan 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sundog

Sundog Well-Known Member

Perhaps, just like we sent them a clear message with our travel bans.

2. Satchie

Satchie Well-Known Member

People, people, please try to understand that this is a pandemic, it's not about politics. Travel bans reflect the risk of importing the virus, not some kind of political approval rating.

3. CharlestonGal

CharlestonGal Well-Known Member

The actual study can be found here: https://www.ijidonline.com/article/S1201-9712(20)30534-8/fulltext

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2020
  4. HongKongPhooey

HongKongPhooey Well-Known Member

5. Rocco

Rocco Well-Known Member

Best post I've read all week.

6. EllaMae

EllaMae Well-Known Member

Actually it is both in this particular instance. The travel bans serve a dual purpose.

7. Bailey38

Bailey38 Well-Known Member

I was worried about that also.

8. Bailey38

They have been wearing them here in our area of KY, not sure about in their home communities but at stores they are masked. Very small town though!

9. Bailey38

Most buses are about half full most of the time anyway, or have been in the past counties I have lived. Majority are dropped off by parents, you have to plan your traffic routes at the beginning/ending of classes. Hope you are well. :)

10. CharlestonGal

11. anneg

anneg Well-Known Member

So many stories, so many valuable workers now lost. Very sad. Lack of proper PPE in many cases. Have we learned our lessons?

12. tresir2012

tresir2012 Former Member

You must have answered while I was still posting links. I already added this one (the successful Michigan study ) into my post.

The Fox link is MSM and talks about the Michigan study that you and I also linked as follows:

"Researchers at the Henry Ford Health System in Southeast Michigan have found that early administration of the drug hydroxychloroquine makes hospitalized patients substantially less likely to die.

The study, published in the International Journal of Infectious Diseases, determined that hydroxychloroquine provided a "66% hazard ratio reduction," and hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin a 71 percent reduction, compared to neither treatment.

In-hospital mortality was 18.1 percent overall; 13.5 percent with just hydroxychloroquine, 22.4 percent with azithromycin alone, and 26.4 percent with neither drug. "Prospective trials are needed" for further review, the researchers note, even as they concluded: "In this multi-hospital assessment, when controlling for COVID-19 risk factors, treatment with hydroxychloroquine alone and in combination with azithromycin was associated with reduction in COVID-19 associated mortality."

"Our results do differ from some other studies," Dr. Marcus Zervos, who heads the hospital's infectious diseases unit, said at a news conference. "What we think was important in ours ... is that patients were treated early. For hydroxychloroquine to have a benefit, it needs to begin before the patients begin to suffer some of the severe immune reactions that patients can have with COVID." "

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
  13. anneg

anneg Well-Known Member

14. tresir2012

tresir2012 Former Member

Here's a BBC article also. It states they have the highest 7 day case rate in the country at 135 per 100,000. They are only in lockdown till the 19th July if all goes well.

Link below

Police given 'minimal guidance' on local lockdown

"Mr Hancock said Leicester's seven-day infection rate was 135 cases per 100,000 people - three times that of the next highest city.

Bradford, Barnsley and Rochdale have all seen 45 or more cases per 100,000 people in the last week.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Dave Stokes, chairman of Leicestershire Police Federation, called on the government to provide more detail on what the public can and cannot do during the lockdown.

"As we have seen over recent weeks and months, if the guidance and messaging from government is confusing for the public, then it will be almost impossible for our colleagues to police," he said.

Nottinghamshire Police said officers could fine visitors from Leicester who they suspected had travelled to Nottingham for a "night out".

The force said it would work with British Transport Police to ensure people were not coming to the city on trains from Leicester to shop or visit pubs."

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
  15. CharlestonGal

I don't know that we've learned any lessons. I do think our eyes, and the eyes of the world, have opened to some hard truths about myriad hidden or buried issues. We'll have to wait and see where our country takes it from here. If anywhere. jmo

16. tmar

tmar Well-Known Member

Coronavirus Australia live news: WHO reports record daily increase in global COVID-19 cases
    [​IMG]
    Coronavirus Australia live news: WHO reports record daily increase in global COVID-19 cases

Michael Doyle

1 hour ago

The world hit a new coronavirus milestone overnight

And it wasn't a great one.

The World Health Organization (WHO) reported a record increase in global coronavirus cases on Saturday, with the total rising by 212,326 in 24 hours.

The biggest increases were from the United States, Brazil and India, according to a daily report.

The previous WHO record for new cases was 189,077 on June 28. Deaths remained steady at about 5,000 a day.

Global coronavirus cases exceeded 11 million on Friday, according to a Reuters tally, marking another milestone in the spread of the disease that has been linked to the deaths of half a million people in seven months.

17. tmar

tmar Well-Known Member

WHO rules out hydroxychloroquine trial
    [​IMG]
    WHO rules out hydroxychloroquine trial

Sky News Australia

31 mins ago
    The World Health Organisation has abandoned trials of a controversial malaria drug after failing to reduce the death rate of COVID-19 patients.

Scientists said hydroxychloroquine produced poor results despite large-scale testing.

The WHO is now analysing the potential effect of an anti-viral drug which has produced positive early results.

18. 10ofRods

10ofRods Verified Anthropologist

There are almost no extra seats on any bus in any of our county school districts - nor in nearby Los Angeles and Riverside Counties.

The buses do not take students who are within about 2 miles of the school. Some kids walk half a mile to avoid walking 1.5 miles.

At any rate, in my actual neighborhood, there are occasional issues with 3 kids to a seat meant for 2. This is SoCal.

They may have extra buses - but it's the extra drivers who are the problem. Hopefully, they can hire a few more in the next month, provisional.

My house is about 7 miles from the high school my girls attended, some people did drive - but the traffic was horrible, especially right at the school.

19. Satchie

Satchie Well-Known Member

But it's not over yet.

ETA, I'm not sure, but it seems that once it gets embedded in old-age or retirement homes, that's where the carnage really happens.

20. LadyL

LadyL Well-Known Member

so sad

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.