Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #68

Discussion in 'Coronavirus - Covid-19' started by Amonet, Jan 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 10ofRods

10ofRods Verified Anthropologist

Kawasaki-like syndrome found in adults as well as children.

I hope that it's tested and the tests are published in various journals. Would also like to know the cost...and how they plan to scale up.

tabitha111, Tadpole12, Bravo and 8 others like this.

2. 10ofRods

3. MsArk

MsArk Well-Known Member

My son was hospitalized last year for 4 days in Naples FL. With insurance, his bill was $50,000. He only makes $55,000/yr but thank goodness he had decent coverage. He is still paying on it... $200/mo.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
  4. 10ofRods

5. MsArk

MsArk Well-Known Member

I’m glad to see you back, Kensie. How is your broken...ankle, was it?

6. TootsieFootsie

TootsieFootsie Well-Known Member

7. MsArk

MsArk Well-Known Member

Yes indeed. This gives me happy tears after all of the sacrifice of NY citizens. Strong leadership was the key. I’m very happy for you.

8. ZoriahNZ

ZoriahNZ Well-Known Member

9. MsArk

MsArk Well-Known Member

...”the talking points say. “In addition, few plans include information regarding school closure in the event of positive tests in the school community.”

This is my biggest question. What will schools do when (certainly not “if”) a student or teacher has covid. Will the entire class quarantine for 14 days? Will the entire school quarantine? At the very least it isn't seem feasible for kids to hop in and out of school like that not to even mention the health risk many teachers face. I don’t think anyone argues that children need to be in school but I have a feeling that it just won’t work for most parts of the country.

10. Anance

Anance Well-Known Member

You can chat over WS if you need to. I'm not online much, but if you see me and need to talk, please message me.

11. CeeCeeCat

CeeCeeCat London, UK

Yep. I’m just going to repeat myself from an earlier post - that IMO, Dr Fauci has maintained his integrity throughout this nightmare. I know exactly who I would trust if given a choice between him and politicians.

12. tmar

tmar Well-Known Member

Keep posting TGIRecovered.:):):)
    Among the many horrid numbers, we hear of successes.
    As you state, 'lock downs' important when numbers are high.
    Here, we are in a 'lock down', hoping for a speedy success story, all following the rules.
    We have great leaders.

Hope, soon, you obtain another pet to love, during this sad time.
    Good luck, and keep safe.

13. Snoods

Snoods Flounciest Faux Former Member

Ha Dbm not Dam

14. margarita25

margarita25 Well-Known Member

MIS-C: South Carolina identifies first cases of coronavirus-related inflammatory syndrome in children - CNN

“(CNN)Two children in South Carolina have been diagnosed with the coronavirus-related pediatric inflammatory syndrome, according to the state's Department of Health and Environmental Control.“

[...]

We continue to see more and more young people, especially those under 20, contracting and spreading COVID-19, and we know MIS-C is a threat to our youngest South Carolinians," State Epidemiologist Dr. Linda Bell said in a news release. "MIS-C is a serious health complication linked to COVID-19 and is all the more reason why we must stop the spread of this virus."“

—-

Multisystem Inflammatory Syndrome Found In Rappahannock District
    July 10
    The Rappahannock Area Health District confirmed its first case of COVID-19-related multisystem inflammatory syndrome in children.
    “This represents the seventh case of MIS-C in Virginia, and there have been no MIS-C related deaths reported so far in the state. Cases of MIS-C in Virginia are reported on the Virginia Department of Health website. This case will be added to the data, which is updated daily.“

—-

MIS-C: Tip of the Iceberg for Kids' COVID Inflammation?
    Surveillance data affirm profile of the syndrome, but there may be more to it

June 30

“”Overall, a consistent clinical picture is emerging," said Michael Levin, PhD, of Imperial College London, in an accompanying editorial.

These larger cohorts mostly confirm prior findings on the the affected age range (median 8-10 years, but range from infants to late teens), predominance of Hispanic/black children affected, presenting symptoms (GI symptoms are frequent), and that cardiac involvement is common, noted Kevin Friedman, MD, of Boston Children's Hospital and a member of the American Heart Association's Young Hearts Council and its Rheumatic Fever, Endocarditis, and Kawasaki Disease Committee.

However, Levin drew attention to the issue of case definitions.

The U.K. definition of "pediatric inflammatory multisystem syndrome temporally associated with SARS-CoV-2" (PIMS) released in April was followed by a narrower definition released in May by the CDC and WHO for MIS-C.

These "hastily developed case definitions based on the most severe cases" might miss less serious cases, Levin noted. For example, the CDC and WHO definitions require evidence of SARS-CoV-2 infection or exposure, which "is problematic, since asymptomatic infections are common and antibody testing is neither universally available nor reliable."

Children meeting MIS-C diagnostic criteria could represent the "tip of the iceberg," Levin wrote.”

WS Thread for MIS-C:
    Multisystem inflammatory syndrome in children (MIS-C and COVID-19)

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
    tabitha111, anneg, Tadpole12 and 7 others like this.
  15. SouthAussie

SouthAussie Well-Known Member

Hey Snoods ... pet adoptions and fostering are way, way, way up here in Australia. So many people bringing a new family member into their homes now that covid has changed our lives. Lots of places have closed applications as they have no pets left to be fostered or adopted!

tabitha111, anneg, Tadpole12 and 10 others like this.
  16. Snoods

Snoods Flounciest Faux Former Member

Oh my gosh that’s AMAZING! You have no idea how much that lifts my spirits. Just another reason why I love Aussies so much!
    Thank you for taking the time to let me know. :)

tabitha111, anneg, KALI and 8 others like this.
  17. TravelingBug

TravelingBug Verified Insider

Interesting study showing a community case spread from a family gathering and also how contact tracing helps show spread...

That gathering ended up infecting at least 41 people in 9 separate families and at 8 different workplaces.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/coronavirus/article244147427.html

And a little graphic to illustrate.[​IMG]

KALI, dmac55, Tadpole12 and 7 others like this.
  18. margarita25

margarita25 Well-Known Member

Bringing forward some information and posts from the MIS-C thread, as we move forward in our discussions about schools opening, etc.:

Suglo, tabitha111, anneg and 12 others like this.
  19. beatrixpotter

beatrixpotter Well-Known Member

I've asked that repeatedly and I see it ignored over and over again in public discussions in my area. In fact there was outrage that a football player for a local highschool team tested positive and now the whole team had to quarantine. People were saying how stupid it was and that the schools would just have to be shut down if they had to
    quarantine everyone exposed to someone who tested positive.

Yes, exactly. That's what happens. So while these yokels were arguing we should stay open and quarantine no one exposed I think it's clear that can't work for more than a matter of weeks. So how come the people with big darn salaries and pensions for handling these schools can't even pretend to try and answer HOW schools can and should be run??? I mean this is their job like it or not. I am daily blown away by the level of denial I see. But I expect people whose jobs require addressing this to address it. This is insane. You can't wish a virus and pandemic away and or pretend no student will get sick so you don't need to plan what to do.

And I know other humans are capable of this. I have a friend who is a teacher in Canada and their schools have exact and specific plans laid out for how to handle all of this. How is it our country is somehow special in the level of stupidity displayed at every bureaucratic level?

Suglo, tabitha111, anneg and 8 others like this.
  20. enelram

enelram Well-Known Member

Here in Fl. parents in my county of Central Fl.
    told me NO MASKS in grades K-5, no required
    social distancing.
    I'm taking bets on how long til these schools
    have to completely close down due to being
    blanketed with the virus.
    It's the poorer children going back to public schools according to parents, because it's cheaper than day care.
    Where parents don't need to work, they're keeping kids home for virtual classes or regular home schooling.
    Seems like a plan set up to fail, IMO.

Suglo, anneg, musicaljoke and 8 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.