Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #70

Status
Not open for further replies.
Montana rodeo goes on, bucking fears of coronavirus pandemic | Grand Forks Herald

Most of the rodeo riders and audience at the Wolf Point Wild Horse Stampede appeared to skip masks, despite public health recommendations and increasing pressure to stem the spread of COVID-19 cases spiking across Montana and much of the U.S.

In Wyoming, Cheyenne Frontier Days — known as “the Daddy of Them All” — was called off for the first time after 123 years. But organizers of the rodeo in Wolf Point, about 100 miles west of Williston, N.D., decided to carry on, despite the initial opposition of the tribal leaders of the Fort Peck Reservation, which covers the town of 3,000.

I signed up for this
(Filled out a contact form)

I'm not sure I will be chosen because I mostly stay home and try to behave because of my age;)

I'm thinking they may want people who have more opportunities for exposure

We'll see...

Four Arizona locations to host clinical trials for experimental COVID-19 vaccine | Coronavirus in Arizona | azfamily.com
Four Arizona locations to host clinical trials for experimental COVID-19 vaccine

The School Board of Highlands County, Florida sent the waiver to parents last week:

Parents must sign COVID-19 waivers before letting kids play sports, join after-school activities

The waiver states in part, "I voluntarily assume all risks that I and/or my child may be exposed...as a result of participation in the Activity, and that exposure or infection may result in personal injury, illness, sickness, and/or death."

Would you (anyone who has kids or grandkids sign such a waiver? i would not and i cannot imagine lots of parents will do so.

Would you (anyone who has kids or grandkids sign such a waiver? i would not and i cannot imagine lots of parents will do so.

All sports in VA require waviors, even down to little league, already, for injury.

I've signed waviors included permission slips for filed trips, color guard, cheerleading, and more.

Maybe some states don't routine waviors.

Eta... Nope wouldn't be sending my child to public school. I would do online or homeschool, which is very popular in rural VA.

Last edited:

Yup!!! We need testing bottom line we are at the bottom of US states for testing. Virginian's need our CARES money for testing!!!!

The governor did send out a facebook post yesterday for the heat advisory but no word on Covid since last Tuesday.

We sure could use testing!!! My county is running 12 to 21% positivity rate and 1 CVS doing testing. Eastern shore (beach and chicken factories) is out of control.
https://www.vdh.virginia.gov/coronavirus/key-measures/

Our big new story for the day....

Governor hires PR firm due to massive complaints about unemployment delays and not being able to reach a "person" to resolve issues. Virginia just got the website open last week for extended benefits.

Virginia Employment Commission hires a public relations firm to help during the pandemic

The Virginia Employment Commission (VEC) hired a Richmond-based public affairs and business consulting firm for public relations help during the COVID-19 pandemic, according to the VEC's contract with Capital Results.

The state paid the firm $124,000 for help with "public relations services for press releases, reporter briefings, op-eds, collateral materials, and social media campaigns" from May 18 through August 2, according to the contract.

VEC has faced heavy scrutiny since the pandemic began from people applying for unemployment benefits.

Many people have told CBS 6 they can't get through to the agency by phone or email to find out why they have not received benefits, or why their benefits were abruptly stopped.

Lyft quietly partners with defense contractor to provide PPE to drivers

“Lyft unveiled an online store last week to provide drivers with safety gear to better protect themselves during the novel coronavirus pandemic. Drivers pay for the equipment, but Lyft says it won't make a profit on any sales.

Lyft's partner will operate the online shop and add a small markup. The ride-hailing company didn't say which company was supplying the personal protective equipment (PPE) and operating the store. But after a series of tips from readers, CNET identified the partner as Canadian military defense contractor Mission Ready Solutions.

Lyft confirmed on Monday that it's working with Mission Ready, which counts the US Departments of Defense and Homeland Security as customers. "[Mission Ready] has a diversified supply chain that better positions them to cover two large hurdles to obtaining PPE during a global pandemic -- accessibility and cost," a company spokeswoman said in an email.

The ride-hailing company's partnership with Mission Ready is another example of military contractors pivoting during the coronavirus pandemic. As the virus has careened around the world, all types of companies have shifted focus to manufacturing and distributing PPE and medical equipment. The defense company Material Resources is now making face shields and General Electric, GM and Philips have all been working on ventilators.

Mission Ready is known formanufacturing body armor and tactical gear and has worked with US Army, Navy, Marines and Air Force, as well as law enforcement agencies. The defense contractor will operate the Lyft Store website and stock it with equipment from its "extensive supplier network and its third-party logistics provider." Mission Ready will also be in charge of shipping the PPE directly to drivers.”

—-
Lyft offers some drivers free partitions for their cars, others have to pay $50

Lyft will be selling these vehicle partitions to drivers later this summer:

lyft-partition.jpg

Oakland nurse dies of COVID-19, fellow health care workers call for more protection

An Oakland nurse who cared for COVID-19 patients died after contracting the disease, her union said, one of more than 100 health care workers across California who have lost their lives to the virus.

Nurse Janine Paiste-Ponder, 59, who worked at Sutter Alta Bates Summit Medical Center, died on July 17, a press release from the California Nurses Association said Tuesday, which was also confirmed by the Alameda County coroner. She was a member of the union for more than 25 years.

“I just want Summit to know that they lost an amazing nurse,” Paiste-Ponder’s colleague, Toya Randle, said in a statement Tuesday. “She was a loving wife, a loving mother. ... All the nurses have been pleading and expressing their fears of what could happen. … It falls on deaf ears.”

Colleagues will remember the nurse at a vigil Tuesday 4 p.m. at the hospital. They will also call upon management to provide more personal protective equipment and testing for employees who may be exposed to patients, even when they don’t show symptoms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohbeehaave