Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #71

Discussion in 'Coronavirus - Covid-19' started by Amonet, Jan 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SoCalDavidS

SoCalDavidS Well-Known Member

Per Worldometers - July 24, 2020 - Day 180

New Cases = 78,000
    Deaths = 1,141

2. CSIDreamer

CSIDreamer Well-Known Member

I don't see that option but I'm on my phone.

3. nightowl1975

nightowl1975 Well-Known Member

A lot of them will get a job. I’ve lost count of the number of people I know who have thus far refused to go to or return to or seek work because they were collecting far more in unemployment than they brought home while working. It’s been a complete nightmare trying to hire for any entry level position since the $600/wk was passed. At one of my facilities alone, we could employ 20 people tomorrow, full time, with benefits, if they would just come to work. That won’t happen until the incentive is removed to stay home and collect more. I can’t say I blame them really. But I do think the additional $600/wk expiring will prompt a whole lot of people to reconsider not working quite quickly.

4. SouthAussie

SouthAussie Well-Known Member

When/if you get near a laptop or PC, you will see the filter button on the right side with several different options listed. I often filter the information to just the top ten or similar.

roche.analisa, Tadpole12 and MsArk like this.
  5. ZoriahNZ

ZoriahNZ Well-Known Member

This is making me steaming mad! :mad: Luckily he has been given security protection. But the fact that he (and his family) needs it, is really disgusting, imo.

Fauci says "serious threats" have been made against him and his wife and daughters - CBS News

Excerpt snipped by me:

6. ilovewings

ilovewings Well-Known Member

Sure hope he is wrong-- i have more faith because this virus is so evil, so deadly, that so many different companies in different countries are working very hard
    on a vaccine as well as on different medications in the hope of mitigating
    its damage to the human body---

7. ilovewings

8. Han

Han Well-Known Member

In several places today I have read that a 90-95% compliance with mask mandates is the quickest way to end the COVID pandemic.

Here’s one example:

Gov. Tim Walz’s statewide mask-wearing order
    for restaurants, stores and other public indoor gathering spaces is set to take effect first thing Saturday.

Walz on Wednesday announced a statewide mask mandate as a way to stem the spread of COVID-19 and put the state on a path back to normalcy.

[​IMG]
    “This is the quickest way to ending the COVID pandemic,” he told reporters. “It is the surest way to getting us to the therapeutics and vaccines” while continuing to reopen the economy.

If 90 to 95 percent of Minnesotans complied, businesses could stay open, kids could return safely to school buildings, and we "get back that life that we all miss so much,” he said.

How about we apply this across the US if this news is true? I’d like to see the end of this pandemic.

9. CSIDreamer

CSIDreamer Well-Known Member

Oh, I do too. But it's still depressing to me. In a way, I agree with him. Sure we are finding better ways to treat. And working on a vaccine. But that still doesn't necessarily mean we will eradicate it. Ugh. Jmo

10. SouthAussie

I think Dr Fauci has been trying to say this to the US people for a long time now. Too many are not listening.

And now we hear that he is receiving death threats from people who likely want to shut him up. :( :( :(

11. beatrixpotter

beatrixpotter Well-Known Member

Wasn't someone just arguing in this thread like a week ago we weren't going to see an average of 1,000 cases a day? Blew past that number didn't we? How exactly do people think these numbers are going to magically level out or lessen?

I feel really angry and quite frankly depressed this evening over the absolute God forsaken hell hole of a country we apparently live in. But, sure, let's offer vacation tax credits. That'll help us out in pandemic as people lose their jobs or can't afford to miss work even while sick.

12. Han

Han Well-Known Member

This is what Dr. Fauci has said about the end of COVID:

If the speed and duration of the coronavirus pandemic is getting you down, spare a thought for Fauci. Are we there yet? How far are we on this journey through the pandemic? Near the finish line? Halfway? Or are we back where we started? “It’s a moving target,” he said. “I certainly don’t think we’re near the end of this if you look at what’s going on in the United States — that’s for sure.”

Who is touting this 90-95% success rate with masks?

ETA: Is it true?

13. Han

Han Well-Known Member

14. ZoriahNZ

ZoriahNZ Well-Known Member

Financial distress is definitely a big problem right now. The lack of robust social safety nets is becoming more and more apparent. From what I understand, eviction protections which were put in place with the CARES act are due to end tonight.

A Federal Eviction Moratorium Protecting Millions Ends Today. Renters In These States Are Most At Risk.

The thought of millions of people potentially being made homeless during the fall/winter is incredibly heart-breaking.

15. ilovewings

I know: Dr. Fauci stated he does not think the virus will be eradicated-- it is depressing and terrifying. I am frightened every single day of getting the virus---

16. gngr~snap

gngr~snap Verified Pediatric Nurse Georgia

It proves that some people simply do not get it. If Fauci or his family member were to die, the virus isn't going to cower in fear. It isn't going to feel threatened.
    It will go right on infecting human after human.
    I worry about the future of humanity.
    Common sense is lagging in our society!
    Moo

17. SouthAussie

I don't think that eradication is the answer at the moment. It is very hard to achieve.

Suppression is an attainable goal. Something within reach. Something that won't shut down the economy, and at the same time will keep people safe and well - with very few exceptions.

The US is way too far away from eradication. imo
    Australia is not even trying to attain that at the moment, and we are a heck of a lot better off.

National Cabinet has doubled down on its commitment to a coronavirus suppression strategy, with Acting Chief Medical Officer Paul Kelly saying Australia's "ultimate goal" is to have no cases of community transmission.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison said .... "The way that you deal with this is you don't get frustrated about it, you don't wallow in concern about it, you just take action."

Treasurer Josh Frydenberg told the National Press Club that an elimination strategy would prove too costly.
    "A strict elimination strategy would cripple our economy and require us to shut down many more sectors and not allow anyone to enter the country," he said.

National Cabinet recommits to COVID-19 suppression strategy amid outbreaks in Victoria, NSW

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
  18. Han

Han Well-Known Member

NPR is so often helpful. From a week ago: What You Need To Know About Protective Face Masks : Life Kit

...masks can limit your exposure, but they aren't giving you full protection. You can't suddenly be in prolonged close contact with people ...masks can buy you a few extra minutes of protection, not hours.

You still need to be keeping at least 6 feet away from other people and avoiding crowds and poorly ventilated, enclosed spaces. When you combine masks with other measures like social distancing, hand-washing and avoiding crowds, you can really cut down on transmission of the virus.

ETA: In light of this, is there any doubt about the advisability of travel during COVID? Why do we tell people on one hand to stay home then in the next breath instruct about quarantine when traveling? Is travel really essential now?

We issue guidelines about using the beach when we know the limited space at the beach will make following those guidelines impractical or next to impossible. And the same could be said about county fairs.

The instructions are so confusing is it any wonder people throw up their hands in resignation or refuse all guidance from the get-go? Until we simplify and/or unify the message will any progress be made? That’s what interested me about the mask mandate. What if 90-95% of us could get behind that one thing!

19. Lilibet

Lilibet Well-Known Member

Award-winning journalist and author of several books on public health, Laurie Garrett, was on The Rachel Maddow Show on MSNBC tonight discussing the essentially insurmountable issues surrounding opening schools. She addressed them in this article...

America’s Schools Are a Moral and Medical Catastrophe

I recommend finding this segment on Youtube when it’s available. She was persuasive and impassioned as she has been throughout the pandemic.

Laurie Garrett - Wikipedia

20. Clair Louise

Clair Louise Former Member

Yes, and you don't, or you should not at this time, spend hours in a supermarket.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.