Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #71

Status
Not open for further replies.
Noting, per the below broadcast, a nurse contracted both Covid and the flu (at the same time?) a few months ago. It seems he recovered but just suddenly had back and neck pain and went to the ER...Poor guy is now paralyzed from neck down...Did I hear “covid complications”? Going back for a rewatch to make sure I got the details correct / half asleep:

NBC Nightly News Broadcast (Full) - July 26th, 2020 | NBC Nightly News
276K views

Yep. I was reading about this nurse. He has been flown to Massachusetts General Hospital on a special intensive care plane to try to help him. It sounds very serious. He has a rare infection triggered by covid, and the infection has paralysed him.

He is just 22 years old.

xx.JPG

Florida nurse flown to Boston hospital after COVID-19 left him paralyzed | Boston.com

Yep. I was reading about this nurse. He has been flown to Massachusetts General Hospital on a special intensive care plane to try to help him. It sounds very serious. He has a rare infection triggered by covid, and the infection has paralysed him.

He is just 22 years old.

View attachment 257146

Florida nurse flown to Boston hospital after COVID-19 left him paralyzed | Boston.com

OMG

“But on July 16, he stopped breathing.

Doctors rushed to put Silva on a ventilator and by Saturday night, he was flown to Massachusetts General Hospital from Tampa, Florida on a private intensive care jet with hopes of treating a rare infection that has left him paralyzed from the neck down, Boston25 News reported.

“They basically said it is COVID-related because it’s triggered by a viral infection,” Barbara Bonnet, Silva’s mother — a Massachusetts resident — told the station. “What happened is it laid dormant in my son’s system, still testing negative, still without any symptoms, but it was still there.”“

—-

Eta: Holy moly! What kind of “rare, (and viral) infection“?? :eek:

Do we have an any prior reference on this? @dixiegirl1035 I’m not recalling ever hearing about anything of the like?

OMG

Doctors rushed to put Silva on a ventilator and by Saturday night, he was flown to Massachusetts General Hospital from Tampa, Florida on a private intensive care jet with hopes of treating a rare infection that has left him paralyzed from the neck down, Boston25 News reported.

“They basically said it is COVID-related because it’s triggered by a viral infection,” Barbara Bonnet, Silva’s mother — a Massachusetts resident — told the station. “What happened is it laid dormant in my son’s system, still testing negative, still without any symptoms, but it was still there.”“

—-

Eta: Holy moly! What kind of viral, rare infection“??

Do we have an any prior reference on this? @dixiegirl1035 I’m not recalling ever hearing about anything of the like?
Guillain-Barre, maybe?

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2009191

ETA:
Bonnet told 25 News that Boston doctors have tentatively diagnosed her son with transverse myelitis — an inflammation of both sides of the spinal cord — but she’s hopeful he’ll make a full recovery soon.

Last edited:
OMG

—-

Eta: Holy moly! What kind of “rare, (and viral) infection“?? :eek:

Whatever it is, they said it already lurked in his body and only a virus could trigger it. It paralysed both sides of his spinal cord .... "transverse myelitis".

Transverse myelitis (TM) is a rare inflammatory disease causing injury to the spinal cord with varying degrees of weakness, sensory alterations, and autonomic dysfunction (the part of the nervous system that controls involuntary activity, such as the heart, breathing, the digestive system, and reflexes).
Transverse Myelitis - NORD (National Organization for Rare Disorders)

Guillain-Barre, maybe?

Hmmm...now that you mention it, maybe I recall faintly some discussions in the early days.

Going in for a deeper look, good call on the GB, I must’ve forgotten about it:

Here’s a report from June 25
Guillain–Barré Syndrome Associated with SARS-CoV-2
June 25, 2020
N Engl J Med 2020; 382:2574-2576
DOI: 10.1056/NEJMc2009191
Metrics
https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2009191

“From February 28 through March 21, 2020, in three hospitals in northern Italy, we examined five patients who had Guillain–Barré syndrome after the onset of coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19), the disease caused by severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2). During that period, an estimated 1000 to 1200 patients with Covid-19 were admitted to these hospitals. Four of the patients in this series had a positive nasopharyngeal swab for SARS-CoV-2 at the onset of the neurologic syndrome, and one had a negative nasopharyngeal swab and negative bronchoalveolar lavage but subsequently had a positive serologic test for the virus. Detailed case reports are provided in the Supplementary Appendix, available with the full text of this letter at NEJM.org.”

—-

Guillain-Barré Syndrome | Campylobacter | CDC

“What causes GBS?
Several things are known to trigger GBS. About two-thirds of people with GBS had diarrhea or a respiratory illness several weeks before developing symptoms. Infection with Campylobacter jejuni, which causes diarrhea, is one of the most common risk factors for GBS. People also can develop GBS after some other infections, such as flu, cytomegalovirus, Epstein Barr virus, and Zika virus. Very rarely, people have developed GBS in the days or weeks after receiving certain vaccines.”

Last edited:
Coronavirus: Vietnam evacuating 80,000 from city after three positive COVID-19 tests

The evacuation will take at least four days with domestic airlines operating approximately 100 flights daily from Da Nang
to 11 Vietnamese cities, the government said in a statement.

Wow. Vietnam does not take this lightly at all. Good on them.

I just hope that there are no asymptomatic people among those 80,000 so they don't inadvertently spread the virus to uninfected areas.

Human-sized robot presents lottery winner with check in Quebec

Physical distancing goes high-tech: Robot delivers $6-million cheque to Quebec lottery winner

Because of physical distancing measures in place amid the COVID-19 pandemic, the conference was live-streamed for viewers and journalists, and Desjardins's cheque was given to her by a presenter who could not contract the coronavirus - a robot named SARA. Lottery officials said during the ceremony, which was broadcast on Facebook Live, that no human hands had touched the check for the 72 hours before the robot handed it over to Desjardins.

Wow. Vietnam does not take this lightly at all. Good on them.

I just hope that there are no asymptomatic people among those 80,000 so they don't inadvertently spread the virus to uninfected areas.
It looks like the 80,000 are domestic tourists, according to the link, and they have to quarantine for 14 days upon arrival home. Hopefully, they will because this could quickly get out of control.

More on GB and CV/WebMD June 25:

June 25, 2020 -- The first official U.S. case of Guillain-Barré syndrome associated with COVID-19 has been reported by neurologists from Allegheny General Hospital in Pittsburgh, further supporting a link between the virus and neurologic complications.

As previously reported by Medscape Medical News, doctors in China reported the first case of COVID-19 that doctors at first thought was Guillain-Barré syndrome, or GBS. The patient was a 61-year-old woman returning home from Wuhan during the pandemic.

Doctors in Italy later reported five cases of GBS associated with COVID-19.

The first U.S. case is described in the June issue of the Journal of Clinical Neuromuscular Disease.

Unique Features
Like cases from China and Italy, the U.S. patient's symptoms of GBS reportedly occurred within days after he was infected with SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19.

U.S. Guillain-Barré Case Linked to COVID-19

Eta: I’m remembering more about this now:

post #730 by @dixiegirl1035 / Feb 21:
Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Emergency #5

I also posted about it here in April:
Guillain-Barre Linked to COVID-19 in Italy
— Five patients developed GBS following COVID-19 infection

—-

It seems China put this out on April 9:
First case of COVID-19 presenting as Guillain-Barré reported

“GBS presentation
The female patient returned from Wuhan on January 19 but denied having any fever, cough, chest pain, or diarrhea. She presented on January 23 with acute weakness in both legs and severe fatigue that progressed.

At presentation, temperature was normal, oxygen saturation was 99% on room air, and the patient’s respiratory rate was 16 breaths per minute. She was not tested for SARS-CoV-2 at that point.

A neurologic examination revealed symmetric weakness (Medical Research Council grade 4/5) and areflexia in both legs and feet. The patient’s symptoms had progressed 3 days after admission, and testing revealed decreased sensation to light touch and pinprick.

Admission laboratory test results indicated a low lymphocyte count and thrombocytopenia. Results of nerve conduction studies performed on day 5 of hospitalization were consistent with demyelinating neuropathy.

She was diagnosed with GBS and given intravenous immunoglobulin. On day 8, she developed a dry cough and fever, and a chest CT showed ground-glass opacities in both lungs. At this point, she was tested for SARS-CoV-2, and the results were positive.”

—-
June 24:
First Reported US Case of Guillain-Barré Linked to COVID-19

“"Although the number of documented cases internationally is notably small to date, it's not completely surprising that a COVID-19 diagnosis may lead to a patient developing GBS. The increase of inflammation and inflammatory cells caused by the infection may trigger an irregular immune response that leads to the hallmark symptoms of this neurological disorder," Rana said in a news release.

"Since GBS can significantly affect the respiratory system and other vital organs being pushed into overdrive during a COVID-19 immune response, it will be critically important to further investigate and understand this potential connection," he added.“

Last edited:
Indiana mask mandate begins today.

Indiana's statewide mask mandate now in effect - WISH-TV | Indianapolis News | Indiana Weather | Indiana Traffic

The mandate began on Monday and is summarized below:

• Applies to anyone 8 or older in indoor public spaces, commercial entities or transportation services, or outside public spaces when people cannot socially distance.
  • Mask use in schools required for Grade 3 and higher for faculty and staff, volunteers and anyone in schools. Masks also will be required for co-curricular and extracurricular activities, with exceptions for strenuous physical activity.
  • Exceptions will be made for medical purposes, strenuous physical activity, eating and drinking.
  • Masks are strongly recommended for ages 2-7.
State and local health departments will be responsible for enforcing compliance of the mask mandate. The executive order does not include criminal penalties for people who don’t wear a mask.

North Korea Declares Emergency After Suspected Covid-19 Case

Los Angeles Michelin Star restaurant forced to shut its doors due to Covid-19

• American medical experts are urging political leaders to shut down the United States to contain the pandemic after the country surpassed 4 million Covid-19 cases.
  • North Korea has reported its first suspected case of Covid-19.
  • Dr. Anthony Fauci, the US' top infectious disease expert, said the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has put out "a sound set of guidelines" on how to reopen schools safely this fall.
  • ——Eta/ re: NK: “the isolated nation has recorded its first coronavirus case, reportedly brought in by a defector who recently returned to the country.”

Last edited:
Duh

smdh

Duh, ya think!

Remember @margarita25 when this all started, you posted that link as to which countries were best for handling a pandemic. Darn, I cannot find it now. But IIRC US was #2 or 3. Pfffffft. Pfffft.

I just watched a show called Australian Story that another member had let me know about. This episode was about the 1918 virus and how it affected Australia. It seems we are doing pretty much what we did back then to contain and suppress the virus (avoiding injecting our people with strychnine though! :eek: ).

When the virus hit our shores in Oct 2018, it took until Dec 2019 for it to be considered little danger any more. They say it never actually went away, it just became more like a seasonal flu.

What does that mean? It is a condition of entry, like wearing a mask.

The shirt and shoes requirement for restaurants are Health Laws. They will stand up in a court of law, under a judge.

Masks are mandates, there is no law involved. Most local justifications don't have the time, money or enough officers to settle these disputes, not do they want to enter into them.

Each states has equal opportunity to pass emergency legislation. No state has used its power to put an end to the mask controversy. (To my knowledge) The most I've seen are fines for not wearing a mask. Doesn't seem to be working out for most states or localities.

MOO..

President Donald Trump’s National Security Advisor Robert O’Brien has tested positive for Covid-19, according to people familiar with his situation, Bloomberg News reports.

O’Brien has been out of the office since late last week, one of the people said.

O’Brien came down with the coronavirus after a family event and has been isolating at home while still running the National Security Council, doing most of his work by phone, according to one of the people.

Trump National Security Advisor Robert O’Brien Has Coronavirus

Yeah exactly. I’m watching again.

2:44

Eta:
Yeah, I just watched it again. That’s what it says. He had both flu and covid back in May, and “recovered“. Mom says “coronavirus complications”.

Also adding to back and neck pain symptoms, “back of the head was throbbing”.

(shudder)

WTH
The back and neck pain thing is a weird one. When I had that, is when the penny dropped with Mr HKP that the "flu" he had in early March, so just a couple weeks prior to me, was the same.

It goes across your shoulders, as if you've been working with bad posture. From you neck, up towards your ears and base of your skull. Going down your back, towards the kidney area (we thought after, maybe it was an ache in the kidneys of some kind who knows). It wasnt severe pain by any means, but we both needed basic Paracetamol (Tylenol I think?) to be able to rest and be at all comfortable.

Just mentioning in case it resonates with anyone else.

That is not good. I've been wondering for a while what is going to happen this fall/winter when people contract covid and flu at the same time.:(
Hopefully more people will now have the sense to get the flu vaccine than in previous years. Absolutely no reason for anyone to die of flu anymore. Re Covid, I am praying for the vaccine to be available by the Autumn so that can be rolled out too.

ETA @HongKongPhooey I just stocked up on some paracetamol this week. Do you get a flu jab BTW? Also, my Paramedic friend got her negative test back so that is good. She is in the same small village as me but we have not met in person since before lockdown and still haven't due to her job but we keep in touch by phone.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members