Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #73

Status
Not open for further replies.
What also made me upset, when looking at this longer video, is that it appears (IMO) the other customers around the injured woman do not help. Now I know in these extraordinary times we might be fearful of touching a stranger, but how about at least asking if she’s ok and go look for the store mgr to help? Not a good look for that woman who was in the black tee and white pants who just goes right back to her copying machine after using her foot to move the plexiglass divider that the attacker had knocked over.
I agree. None of the bystanders are covered in glory in this video.

So...about claims of hoarding and "panic buying." (RANT WARNING)

I'll tell you what. I sleep better knowing that our household is stocked. We are *not* going to the grocery store. If we were going to the store right now, we'd want to minimize the number of trips. So, yep, I'd buy a couple more of things we really have to have on hand. My DH in particular, like many people, have special dietary needs. If we run out of what he can eat, what then? I don't want to lie awake wondering about using the last of the food he can eat.

That being said, so far, most of what we actually need to stock on is not on everyone else's list and no, we don't want to take the last 10 rolls of toilet paper. OTOH, it's often sold in packs of 6 or 12. We are going to need some someday - I've got 3 rolls hidden and when I get to those, I'll search for more (last time, had to have family members seek them out - that's not exactly great).

I imagine lots and lots of people are the same way. Who wants to go to the store every other day? If a food can last, we stock up. And it really doesn't take that long for us to get through half of what we have on hand.

We have two sets of pantry items: used all the time, and "in store for a real emergency." That's what any normal person does, if they live where there are hurricanes, fires, earthquakes etc. We buy canned tuna and salmon (wild, line caught, dolphin-friendly) online - so why would we want to pay more for shipping and handling? It comes 12 cans in a box, so we order 24. It lasts less than a year. Is that hoarding? AFAIK, the company still has more - although they won't have it right before salmon season starts, so we stock up.

There are items (posole) that are nearly impossible to find. It's something my DH can eat. We're down to 2 cans. I have the ingredients to make more (probably 4 cans worth). It's out of stock continually here, but if my shopper finds 4 cans, is that panic buying? On both Amazon and Instacart, we often get fewer of what we ordered, obviously we're getting the last of stock.

So, since I buy infrequently, I'm supposed to buy less? What? How is encouraging people to shop more frequently a good thing right now?

What the heck is "panic buying"? Are people literally hitting the stores at opening and buying all of everything that's on a typical shopping list? Like eggs? We eat a lot of them, have 4 dozen in the fridge (down from 8 dozen a month ago). I felt guilty adding more to our cart today, so now I'll have to do another cart sooner than we usually do.

If we ever do run out of eggs, it'll be very bad for DH. Am I panicked?

No, but it's a concern and why should I want anyone to make more runs to the store? I expect that lots of people feel the same way.

Asking the public to limit their essential shopping to a smaller amount of items (thus returning to the store 4-7 days later) seems really strange. Can't stores just put limits on things that are essential and in short supply? We are unable to get fresh salmon, smoked salmon, potatoes (often), frozen potatoes, onions, carrots that are actually edible, specialty and other cheeses, line caught tuna, our regular toothpaste, grass fed beef, my favorite triscuits, Skinny Pop popcorn, and much else - if I want those things, I have to order online and pay more.

I completely agree. It just seems like an excuse to shame people instead of admitting that our supply chain is not built to accommodate this sort of situation. It's not the shopper's fault that the grocery stores deliberately plan to have minimal amounts of food and instead rely on constant shipments. This annoyed me this spring and it annoys me now.

I am not upping my shopping in the middle of a pandemic. I'll absolutely stock up as we need to. I have 9 people in my household. I don't blame any of these people. I'm sure no one wiped out the entire case of meat. Instead most people probably picked up a little extra. And that's all it takes to wipe things out. I know people with large families back in the spring who were forced to go to the store daily and never able to get enough for one shopping trip since they were limited despite family size: one loaf of bread, one package of meat. If we are going to keep doing this ration cards make sense.

OK this needs to now be the equivalent of a hate crime. And to a child, no less?! Have those deniers gone insane?

Stories say the "child" was 16 and the perp was drunk and shoe-less and he looks insane from his mug. Guy should still be locked up forever, but it concerning that some headlines still need to over sensationalize. They must think a sober, middle class denier doing this to a small child makes for better copy.

A 47-year-old man is accused of grabbing a child wearing a mask at a restaurant, getting close to his face and telling him: “You now have coronavirus.”

Jason Andrew Copenhaver, of Redington Shores, was arrested on charges of simple battery and disorderly conduct after the incident, according to Treasure Island police.

The incident took place at about 9:30 p.m. Sunday at 10601 Gulf Blvd., which is the address for Ricky T’s.

Copenhaver approached the child, who was at a table wearing a mask, according to arrest reports. The boy’s age was not released by police.

‘You now have coronavirus,’ man tells boy at Treasure Island restaurant, police say

I can't really post what I'd like to see done to these people. I'm so angry at these disgusting people beating up older ladies and harassing and threatening children. It is sickening.

Where is this, if you don't mind me asking? These posts got me curious, so I just ran down to grocery store and the shelves are packed. Maybe a little thin on meat, but that tends to happen at this place, based on sales, day of week, time of day, etc.
In NC, GA - the paper product aisle was bare, nothing on either side. Since March.
Just now seeing some Charmin and Scott. Meat was 2 per person for many weeks. But the sell by date is extremely short. Must use by the day after you buy it. And if you do curbside pickup, they don’t give you the best date. Spaghetti sauce of any type or brand just now showing up on the shelves. I can’t find frozen Brussels, Lima’s, onions, carrots or corn. Lots of frozen broccoli though.

The resalers hit Walmart every morning as soon as they open and buy wipes and Lysol spray. Work in teams. They can tell you which stores in the city get it, how to hide it and come back in to buy another round.
You can learn a lot sitting in your car in a Walmart parking lot at 6am.

“Washington (CNN)President Donald Trump said the United States' staggering death toll from coronavirus "is what it is" in a new interview, again giving his administration credit for its response despite ongoing surges in new cases and a human toll that far outpaces that of any other nation.

When confronted with the US' daily death toll and Trump's messaging on the pandemic during an interview with Axios on HBO that aired Monday night, the President grew defensive and appeared frustrated by Jonathan Swan's questions about the crisis.
"I've gone to your rallies. I've talked to your people. They love you. They listen to you. They listen to every word you say. They hang on your every word," Swan said. "And so when they hear you say, 'everything's under control. Don't worry about wearing masks,' I mean, these are people -- many of them are older people."

Well, what's your definition of control?" Trump replied, adding: "I think it's under control."
"How? A thousand Americans are dying a day," Swan said.
"They are dying. That's true. And you -- it is what it is," Trump said emphatically. "But that doesn't mean we aren't doing everything we can. It's under control as much as you can control it."

more at link:
Trump on Covid death toll: 'It is what it is' - CNNPolitics

We don't show a lot of US covid stuff on our TV News here. But this little episode has made it to our side of the world this morning.

I have to admit, I am quietly prepping for "something" here at the moment. Today I had a couple of packets of bread flour delivered and some yeast. Checked dates, put them in tubs, out of sight. We've got a box of hand sanitisers in the under stairs cupboard. We're building a raised veg garden and I'm ordering seeds now which are being delivered quickly. Impossible to buy in spring. Also had some germination pots delivered for seedlings and growbags for tomatoes are on order. I'm kind of making a hobby out of being more self sufficient and find it therapeutic. I checked cupboards today to see how the dates are on the pasta sauces, chickpeas and kidney beans. I'm adding to those stocks in a small way, an extra jar of this here and there.

If it comes to it, I'll have to toughen up tho. I've let the garden birds eat all the soft fruits! Raspberries, strawbs, gooseberries and blueberries. They're starting in on the blackberries now and apple windfalls. I decided their need is greater than ours for now but next year we might have a few lessons in sharing out there :p.

Eggs were hard to come by at one point but I dont want the hassle of keeping chickens.

Other thing I was looking at today was a log store. We pile them up outside under cover of the roof overhang, but it's not ideal. I want to get an order in soon to see us through winter.

Beirut is having a really tough time ... and this could happen to any of us.

A massive explosion - caused by stored chemicals - in the city. People dead, many injured, people buried under rubble, ambulances rushing to assist. With their hospitals already feeling the strain of covid, their health system is struggling. Hospitals are filling beyond capacity. Blood supplies low. Power outages, so the hospital lights are out.

With covid already straining our hospital systems, there is just no room for an additional catastrophe.

The head of Lebanon's Red Cross said thousands of people had been injured and taken to hospital and that others were trapped in their homes.
A civil defence official said his men had evacuated dozens to hospitals and that there were still bodies inside the port, many of them under debris.

The sudden devastation overwhelmed a country already struggling with both the coronavirus pandemic and an economic crisis.
Beirut hospitals quickly filled beyond capacity, pleading for blood supplies and generators to keep their lights on.
Massive explosion rocks Beirut, killing more than 60, including at least one Australian

Last edited:
So...about claims of hoarding and "panic buying." (RANT WARNING)

I'll tell you what. I sleep better knowing that our household is stocked. We are *not* going to the grocery store. If we were going to the store right now, we'd want to minimize the number of trips. So, yep, I'd buy a couple more of things we really have to have on hand. My DH in particular, like many people, have special dietary needs. If we run out of what he can eat, what then? I don't want to lie awake wondering about using the last of the food he can eat.

That being said, so far, most of what we actually need to stock on is not on everyone else's list and no, we don't want to take the last 10 rolls of toilet paper. OTOH, it's often sold in packs of 6 or 12. We are going to need some someday - I've got 3 rolls hidden and when I get to those, I'll search for more (last time, had to have family members seek them out - that's not exactly great).

I imagine lots and lots of people are the same way. Who wants to go to the store every other day? If a food can last, we stock up. And it really doesn't take that long for us to get through half of what we have on hand.

We have two sets of pantry items: used all the time, and "in store for a real emergency." That's what any normal person does, if they live where there are hurricanes, fires, earthquakes etc. We buy canned tuna and salmon (wild, line caught, dolphin-friendly) online - so why would we want to pay more for shipping and handling? It comes 12 cans in a box, so we order 24. It lasts less than a year. Is that hoarding? AFAIK, the company still has more - although they won't have it right before salmon season starts, so we stock up.

There are items (posole) that are nearly impossible to find. It's something my DH can eat. We're down to 2 cans. I have the ingredients to make more (probably 4 cans worth). It's out of stock continually here, but if my shopper finds 4 cans, is that panic buying? On both Amazon and Instacart, we often get fewer of what we ordered, obviously we're getting the last of stock.

So, since I buy infrequently, I'm supposed to buy less? What? How is encouraging people to shop more frequently a good thing right now?

What the heck is "panic buying"? Are people literally hitting the stores at opening and buying all of everything that's on a typical shopping list? Like eggs? We eat a lot of them, have 4 dozen in the fridge (down from 8 dozen a month ago). I felt guilty adding more to our cart today, so now I'll have to do another cart sooner than we usually do.

If we ever do run out of eggs, it'll be very bad for DH. Am I panicked?

No, but it's a concern and why should I want anyone to make more runs to the store? I expect that lots of people feel the same way.

Asking the public to limit their essential shopping to a smaller amount of items (thus returning to the store 4-7 days later) seems really strange. Can't stores just put limits on things that are essential and in short supply? We are unable to get fresh salmon, smoked salmon, potatoes (often), frozen potatoes, onions, carrots that are actually edible, specialty and other cheeses, line caught tuna, our regular toothpaste, grass fed beef, my favorite triscuits, Skinny Pop popcorn, and much else - if I want those things, I have to order online and pay more.

I have to admit, I am quietly prepping for "something" here at the moment. Today I had a couple of packets of bread flour delivered and some yeast. Checked dates, put them in tubs, out of sight. We've got a box of hand sanitisers in the under stairs cupboard. We're building a raised veg garden and I'm ordering seeds now which are being delivered quickly. Impossible to buy in spring. Also had some germination pots delivered for seedlings and growbags for tomatoes are on order. I'm kind of making a hobby out of being more self sufficient and find it therapeutic. I checked cupboards today to see how the dates are on the pasta sauces, chickpeas and kidney beans. I'm adding to those stocks in a small way, an extra jar of this here and there.

If it comes to it, I'll have to toughen up tho. I've let the garden birds eat all the soft fruits! Raspberries, strawbs, gooseberries and blueberries. They're starting in on the blackberries now and apple windfalls. I decided their need is greater than ours for now but next year we might have a few lessons in sharing out there :p.

Eggs were hard to come by at one point but I dont want the hassle of keeping chickens.

Other thing I was looking at today was a log store. We pile them up outside under cover of the roof overhang, but it's not ideal. I want to get an order in soon to see us through winter.
I don’t consider having a well stocked pantry and freezer as hoarding - I’ve been through too many hurricanes and economic downturns to not do this for my family and friends - I share when others are in need - the shortages I’ve seen since March are very disturbing IMO but I think it’s going to get much worse so I will continue to shop as I always have although the new Costco membership is killing me $$$ - I’ve learned a lot following this Covid thread and I appreciate all the contributions as they have helped my family quite a bit
JMO

I could not get any onions at all at Aldi - I asked and they said they haven’t had them for the last few weeks ...

And that is exactly what can happen, due to over-buying and hoarding.
(ETA: Although I now see you have an onion recall.)

We had zero bananas in my grocery store yesterday. Likely because of what is happening in Melbourne. Supply chain is temporarily broken.

We are asked to purchase as normal, whatever each person's seasonal normal is. That way the supply chain can accommodate everyone and limits do not have to be applied to any items.
The manufacturers and farmers cannot keep up with excess purchases.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member