Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #73

Status
Not open for further replies.
Victoria where i live is going into the highest level of lockdown come wednesday

level 4 lockdown... omg... please pray for us :(

Hang in there buddy.

For me the scariest time was when it was “unfolding”, (eta: and right now after my above post), the “anticipation”, and when it was in those initial growing phases - it was an awful foreboding feeling, and like a train you couldn’t stop...anyway, I/we feel ya’. This sucks is all I can say. Sending positive vibes your way and like I’ve said before, imo, if there’s anybody who can suppress it and turn things around, Australia can. I just finished Monday’s WHO Conference, and a reporter had asked about the new flare ups in some countries, and long story short, Doc T mentioned a hopeful, positive word about you guys. I’ve made a note to provide some transcription from that PC later. Hugs and, for me, one of points of light in this whole dark situation has been communicating with you fine folks in Australia (and Canada, NZ and UK of course :) ) throughout this ordeal. So chin up and hang in there.

Eta ahahaha, this is coming from me who had a meltdown over Dr. O’s article yesterday, right @Cool Cats? :D

You know, in the early days, I used to post this video a lot. I’ll post it again, with a special huge hug and shout out to @gregjrichards, who also loves “Airplane”:

—-
eta: @PingTheRouter, 49ers fan, eh? How interesting. :)

Last edited:
Hang in there buddy.

For me the scariest time was when it was “unfolding”, (eta: and right now after my above post), the “anticipation”, and when it was in those initial growing phases - it was an awful foreboding feeling, and like a train you couldn’t stop...anyway, I/we feel ya’. This sucks is all I can say. Sending positive vibes your way and like I’ve said before, imo, if there’s anybody who can suppress it and turn things around, Australia can. I just finished Monday’s WHO Conference, and a reporter had asked about the new flare ups in some countries, and long story short, Doc T mentioned a hopeful, positive word about you guys. I’ve made a note to provide some transcription from that PC later. Hugs and, for me, one of points of light in this whole dark situation has been communicating with you fine folks in Australia throughout this ordeal. So chin up and hang in there.

Eta ahahaha, this is coming from me who had a meltdown over Dr. O’s article yesterday, right @Cool Cats? :D
BBM

Right...!!!!...:p...tsk...tsk

On second thought, maybe it was too soon.

One of the first cruise ships in the world to resume sailing since the coronavirus-caused worldwide halt to cruising in March is experiencing an outbreak of the illness that has already sent people to the hospital.

Norwegian expedition cruise company Hurtigruten late Friday said four crew members from the 535-passenger Roald Amundsen were admitted to the University Hospital of North Norway in Tromsø, Norway, earlier in the day after the vessel docked in the city.

The entire ship has now been placed in isolation, and all remaining crew — around 160 people — are being tested for COVID-19. The line also is tracking down 177 passengers who left the ship early Friday to alert them to the outbreak.

One of the first ships to resume cruising is having a COVID outbreak

It's so difficult to explain to others, but so concerning within the last 3 months information coming from Dr. Campbell and Dr. Seheult which still has yet to hit mainstream media.

e.g. latest from here re sepsis... after the fact of viral diseases. (just had to smh at thread 3 recollection where there was MUCH dispute about what sepsis was... just sayin'...)

Omg, you want to see something really creepy? :eek: Look at this interactive map - first scroll past the world map and where it says “reported cases and deaths”, and right below that watch the “numbers load“, specifically “deaths”. Then hit “replay” and watch the circles grow.

Tracking coronavirus’ global spread

It is significant that the cases and deaths in Africa are so low. Why is this? Do they not have adequate access to tests? Or are the numbers that low?

MLB
MLB warns TV networks: Get alternative programming ready (reports)
Major League Baseball is reportedly warning TV networks to be ready to show something else in case there’s no baseball.
According to multiple reports, MLB has told their national TV partners to get alternative programming ready after this weekend in the case of a league shutdown amid the coronavirus outbreak. ESPN’s Keith Olbermann was the first to report the news.

Reports: Cardinals COVID-19 outbreak gets worse
Things are getting worse for the St. Louis Cardinals amid the coronavirus pandemic.

According to multiple reports, the team has reported additional positive tests for COVID-19. As of Saturday morning, the exact number and nature of the new cases aren’t yet known.

Sportsgrid’s Craig Mish is reporting that “more than five” players have tested positive. That would be a sharp spike from the two known cases as of Friday. The Athletic’s Ken Rosenthal reports that St. Louis has between four and six new cases, with not all cases being players.

It’s too bad they couldn’t have wasted all that money and effort elsewhere

Last edited:
It is significant that the cases and deaths in Africa are so low. Why is this? Do they not have adequate access to tests? Or are the numbers that low?
YES. I really noticed that as well.

One theory I have on this, and this is from learning from the WHO Conferences, is that they have a lot of experience with infectious diseases, and strong focus on containing them. They have the African CDC, some very effective entities on diseases already established (iirc, there’s a very effective leader in Nigeria who is also part of the African CDC...). Also, they know their contact tracing. They are so committed to this in some areas, like West Africa, as I learned in one course where they have literally gone by tiny boat from village to village to contact trace, and as Dr. Tedros said about humble Dr. Mike who wouldn’t brag about himself, has gone door to door to contact trace with a helmet and bullet proof vest on, while wars and bombs are going off in the background. People from their teams have DIED doing this. Their tracing is strongly established; I’m actually certified via WHO in their tracking system they use in West Africa to successfully fight Ebola.

Dr. Tedros is from Africa, Ethiopia specifically. So as Director General, he is no stranger to disease not only on the academic level, but also on the personal level. Like he has said in his own words, he is no stranger to famine, death, and...

IMO, when a nation, continent, etc. takes something seriously and respectfully and collectively makes great efforts to suppress transmission, to the best of their abilities, the results can be seen. You won’t see them fighting over wearing a mask, I wouldn’t think. And the fact that we anticipated that Africa, due to all its challenges with poverty and disease, would be one of the first places to blow up - Boy were we wrong about that.

This is not to say that Africa does not have its serious challenges in fighti bff this disease - they have had some concerning increases. Specifically challenging is the effect on health care systems.

I hear reporters calling in from various places around the globe, and you can really tell the intensity and earnestness with which they voice their questions about the best way to suppress transmission, actions to take.

JMO

Last edited:
Some random thoughts and questions:

@Mo Thuairim, could you please bring forward that article about Dr. Mike from your local paper you posted a while back about him being a warrior lol. And also, any other new features about him? Tia.
—-

Are all bleaches created equally?
—-

Something really gross happened to me:

I have these specific indoor shoes I wear. And yes we know floor to mouth transmission is rare, lol. But we do know dirty shoes track germs inside. I’ve also got doggie paws on the floor, which I go to great lengths to keep clean (as I mentioned previously, he too has to sit through the recommended “Happy Birthday” song while I wash his paws :D).

Anyway, I was so focused on grabbing my mask, poopy bags, keys, etc., that I forgot to change my indoor shoes when I went outside. And I walked all over places where others walk (@otto, did we ever learn more about concrete surfaces?), so basically, long story short, I came back in and walked around all over the house with these dirty shoes on for hours.o_O
—-

I mentioned I’ve dropped a lot of weight, 30 lbs. This is because I’ve been rationing, lost my appetite for the most part bc this is all so sickening (weird bc last year when I got some devastating news I drowned myself in ice cream), and have been broke because my entire new business went down the drain which I invested everything in the previous year, anyway:

Well I learned something: I always thought if you lose your weight at a reasonable rate, as I have, just a few pounds a week, that you wouldn’t gain it back as fast. Well, that doesn’t seem to be the case here lol. I got a nice paycheck and treated myself this week for the first time since all this went down to 1 frozen pizza, a few gourmet cheeses, some alcohol, and a bucket of chocolate ice cream. Well I swear I’ve gained at least half of that weight loss back in one week.
—-

Oh yeah, I also wanted to ask you guys:

How are you finding the supply quantities of certain things in your areas? Are you guys finding everything in the stores, or are you seeing any of the reductions that were seen in March, April, etc.? Toilet paper? Meat limits? Etc. I’m just wondering, as I’ve been watching supply chains closely in my area and am VERY focused on being prepared for winter and NOT having to “hit refresh on instacart for 8 hours a day to get a delivery slot”, or see the dreaded “out of stock”. It has taken SO much time and effort to track certain thing down. If online delivery via Walmart doesn’t have it, then I check Target, then I check Kroger, then I check instacart, you get the picture. Even in summer here where numbers are relatively controlled, I still can’t find things I’m looking for. Just wondering if any of you guys were having the same problem in any of your areas. Obviously this would vary based on your virus numbers.

Thankfully Amazon Prime with Whole Foods has turned out to be a blessing lately, and I give it the best marks to date. Sadly, I didn’t have it back then, but I remember @jjenny talking about it.
—-

The other day I was harassed about wearing a mask. I don’t want to go into details but basically it was some young people trying to intimidate me, threatening to come close and joking about it.

I’m in the U.K. and I’m already seeing items that ran out in March and April, going out of stock again.

I’ve only shopped online since March but Flour, tinned goods, pasta and hand wash are increasingly out of stock. My delivery driver told me they’re seeing an increase in people panic buying again and he warned me to stock up on toilet paper now.

I am so grateful to you and the others on the first couple of threads that gave advice on things to stock up on. It enabled me to stock up on PPE and anti bacterial products for the gentleman I look after and we never ran out of any essentials during our lockdown. I cannot thank you enough.

On second thought, maybe it was too soon.

One of the first cruise ships in the world to resume sailing since the coronavirus-caused worldwide halt to cruising in March is experiencing an outbreak of the illness that has already sent people to the hospital.

Norwegian expedition cruise company Hurtigruten late Friday said four crew members from the 535-passenger Roald Amundsen were admitted to the University Hospital of North Norway in Tromsø, Norway, earlier in the day after the vessel docked in the city.

The entire ship has now been placed in isolation, and all remaining crew — around 160 people — are being tested for COVID-19. The line also is tracking down 177 passengers who left the ship early Friday to alert them to the outbreak.

One of the first ships to resume cruising is having a COVID outbreak

when I read they were going to do this I was astounded at the amount of people who wanted to go.

Something I've been wondering about, too. From what I remember, their life expectancy is on the lower side and they have a much lower obesity %. Age and obesity seem to be our 2 huge risk factors. Jmo

YES. I really noticed that as well.

One theory I have on this, and this is from learning from the WHO Conferences, is that they have a lot of experience with infectious diseases, and focusing on containing them. They have the African CDC, some very effective entities on diseases already established (iirc, a leader in Nigeria..). Also, they know their contact tracing. They are so committed to this in some areas, like West Africa, as I learned in one course where they have literally gone by tiny boat from village to village to contact trace, and as Dr. Tedros said about humble Dr. Mike who wouldn’t brag about himself, has gone door to door with a helmet and bullet proof vest while wars and bombs are going off in the background. People from their teams have DIED doing this. Their tracing is strongly established; I’m actually certified via WHO in their tracking system they use in West Africa to successfully fight Ebola.

Dr. Tedros is from Africa, Ethiopia specifically. So as Director General, he is no stranger to disease not only on the academic level, but also on the personal level. Like he has said in his own words, he is no stranger to death, and...

IMO, when a nation, continent, etc. takes something seriously and respectfully and collectively makes great efforts to suppress transmission, to the best of their abilities, the results can be seen. You won’t see them fighting over wearing a mask, I wouldn’t think. And the fact that we anticipated that Africa, due to all its challenges with poverty and disease, would be one if the first places to blow up. Boy were we wrong about that.

This is not to say that Africa does not have its challenges - they have had some concerning increases. Specifically challenging is on health care systems.

I hear reporters calling in from various places around the globe, and you can really tell the intensity and earnestness with which they voice their questions about the best way to suppress transmission, actions to take.

JMO
Exactly! Good info.
People’s idea of freedom is laughable. Other countries who took it seriously and locked down are covid free, like New Zealand.

Exactly! Good info.
People’s idea of freedom is laughable. Other countries who took it seriously and locked down are covid free, like New Zealand.

Hi human :) And jumping off this, Dr. Mike was talking about new flare ups in Monday’s July 27 conference, gah I’m not even going to attempt to paraphrase, because I could never do it justice...I still don’t have that transcription yet, but will post when I can: he basically uses the analogy of how they use microscopes in “brain surgery”.

He explains that new cases are to be expected even in countries that have been very successful in suppressing transmission. The key, however, is being in a position in the first place that when that does inevitability happen, you are zoomed in on it like a “microscope”; you know exactly where the virus is, and can impose measures only in that necessary area. Gosh there’s so much more he and Dr. Maria said about this. I’ll tag ya when I get the transcription. :)

Last edited:
I have friends in South Africa. They live in a wealthier part. Covid is out of control in South Africa

Yeah South Africa isn’t in a good spot right now. They’ve been having problems for a while now, which is wild because I remember when they were one of the few on the world map who were looking really good in the earlier situation reports. Remember how well they were doing?

—-

Eta / checking in on SA /from July 30:
South Africa coronavirus: Preparing for more deaths as cases surge - The Washington Post

Last edited:
More Cardinals test positive.

JMHO - Major League Baseball does not make it to the end of next week. Proof that even with BILLIONS of $$$$$$$$$$ at stake, you can't count on everyone to do the right things or exhibit intelligence.

I'm hoping Basketball & Hockey can keep safe, they seem to be doing it correctly so far. I think Football is out of their mind if they are actually planning to have a season.

Yes, it is significant for this very reason MOO They, and other areas of the world that deal with pandemics and epidemics and endemics are structured for such to test, trace and isolate. The have done for decades. They better understand than the rest of the world and is what is helping at this point.

They do have hiccups MOO when civil wars happen, or the verrrrrrrrrrry unfortunate situation with the viral misinformation a few years back that vaccine folks were ... I forget what they were saying.. "bad folks". It''s analagous to what is happening in certain parts of the world right now where leaders/politics disagree with health folks. MOO

Meanwhile in Massachusetts
More at links
Massachusetts reports 14 new coronavirus deaths, 387 cases as positive test rate rises to above 2%

“Delays in the reporting of test results to DPH from multiple laboratories, including large national commercial laboratories, are reflected in today’s case counts,” officials wrote in Friday’s report.
https://www.masslive.com/coronaviru...s-off-on-reducing-public-gathering-sizes.html
The rate of positive tests in Massachusetts has increased slightly in recent weeks, which officials believe is the result of several “small clusters” of cases linked to recent gatherings. The seven-day weighted average of new positive test results has climbed to just over 2% from an average of about 1.7% in the middle of July.

As COVID-19 clusters rise, Mass. Gov. Baker holds off on reducing public gatherings

A 90-person prom party in Cohasset. An unauthorized sports camp in South Weymouth. A lunch break in Baystate Medical Center in Springfield.

Baker cited these gatherings where people didn’t wear masks or didn’t keep their distance, or sometimes both, as the sources of some recent COVID-19 outbreaks in Massachusetts. The Republican governor called them a “recipe for disaster,” and said they need to stop if the state is to continue reopening, but he stopped short of reducing the public gathering limits from 100 for enclosed outdoor spaces.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie