Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #74

Discussion in 'Coronavirus - Covid-19' started by Amonet, Jan 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tresir2012

tresir2012 Former Member

The CDC has some comprehensive guidance on schools going back. This is the section on face coverings. While it does not recommend face shields, it does recommend clear face coverings for staff.
    Communities, Schools, Workplaces, & Events

2. Trino

Trino Well-Known Member

Why are Americans acting like the pandemic has passed? Are they not aware of the southern states and the rising count? Have they not heard the death predictions by the end of the year? Don't they know that some states that reopened are now shutting down? How do we get people to take this seriously?
    The Pandemic Isn’t Over. We Need to Act Accordingly

3. tmar

tmar Well-Known Member

COVID-19 pandemic affecting critical charity donations
    [​IMG]
    COVID-19 pandemic affecting critical charity donations

Sky News Australia

1 hour ago
    Australian charities are set to lose tens of millions of dollars as they are forced to cancel fundraising events because of the coronavirus pandemic.
    My Room Children’s Cancer Charity CEO Margaret Zita told Sky News how "difficult” its been for the families and children in the hospitals.

“They can’t even see their own siblings and extended families,” Ms Zita said.

“It’s extremely difficult, it’s gut-wrenching to see the effect of what this pandemic is doing across all charities, especially ones like My Room.

“We really, really need those funds coming in to continue the amazing work we are doing.”

4. 10ofRods

10ofRods Verified Anthropologist

My post wasn't about the number of cases in SD. It's about the nationwide average - because the participants in this rally are not (mostly) from SD, as has been well known since it began in 1938.

5. mickey2942

mickey2942 Well-Known Member

6. 10ofRods

10ofRods Verified Anthropologist

PS - that campground has only two sets of restrooms AND you should look at some of the shots from last night's party.

Sheesh.

7. mickey2942

Masks are mandatory by the Governor of Montana, in all public places, and businesses.

I just went to three separate car lots, looking for a car, very few masks to be seen. Go figure it.

8. MrX

MrX Well-Known Member

Speaking for myself, I found what I call the "intellectual dishonesty" surrounding all of this to be unbearable. The very first thing we encountered, in March, was a Two Week lock down. I knew it would be longer, but had friends who were making plans to meet at the bar on April 1. Two months later we "reopened," only to then have bars and gyms reclosed with no deadline, no metrics, no plan of action to reopen. My state went from worst in the nation to first - the authorities are crediting masks and the above mentioned closures. I don't know about anyone else, but I saw masks everywhere before the mandate and every restaurant with a bar is packed like it's New Year's Eve. So whatever is causing the decline in numbers isn't masks and bar closures. In fact, our R0 was in decline two weeks before the actions, so if anything caused the improvement it was probably the extreme summer heat. I know too many people that were exposed, had symptoms and tested negative to put much faith in whatever testing is taking place here. Everyone I know who did test positive got better. I could go on, but there is live music tonight that I don't want to miss.

Anyway, I don't know the answer to your question. It just feels very strange to be in a State that has gone from one extreme to the other when nothing has really changed, in terms of behavior. The people in my social circle have been living through this, as well, and they are all just as confused about who to trust anymore.

roche.analisa, Tadpole12, byo and 2 others like this.
  9. Clair Louise

Clair Louise Former Member

BBM. Most of India has extreme heat all the time and they are not doing well at all. Australia's worst outbreaks were in the middle of an extremely long and hot summer. Brazil also had the start of the virus in a hot summer.

10. mickey2942

Las Vegas and Arizona have astronomical Covid rates. The heat doesn't stop this virus at all.

11. mommadukes

mommadukes Well-Known Member

Not to mention Florida’s terrible numbers, which were infinitely superior when it was ten or more degrees cooler in the early stages of the pandemic.

12. Tillicum

Tillicum Well-Known Member

Ohio is doing contact tracing. Every presser DeWine shares how and where the contact tracing leads to. IMO it's very informative and gives us an idea of places to avoid.

Coronavirus contact tracing anecdotes show 50 Ohio bars associated with outbreaks since July 1

13. JaneEyre

JaneEyre Well-Known Member

There's not a place in the US that should not be social distancing and wearing masks in public. If there's actually a clean county out there, it won't be for long if people don't start social distancing and masking up now. I live in the back of beyond - 300 people total in my township - and I mask up to go in the PO.

14. ilovewings

ilovewings Well-Known Member

They know how to prevent the virus
    perhaps they should share this amazing knowledge with the world. LOL

15. Simply Southern

Simply Southern Well-Known Member

I live in rural Virginia, I received about 48 stations. I have a 5 year old table top 15.00 Wal-Mart antenna.

Southwestern Virginia lacks internet service in about 60% of the area. No satellite internet service at all. Satellite TV yes, but no internet. Cable companies mainly stay close to towns, in rural areas. These areas also lack a signal for air TV.

Our kids are suffering terribly by not being able to attend school. Parents without internet service can go to a hot spot, which we have purchased and stationed about the county and download the pre recorded lessons and upload home work. This is after working all day in a factory, while washing clothes and cooking dinner.

The school is paying for hot spots, internet service for homes that can not afford. But many live more than a half mile off the main road and companies won't "run a line". There are about 20 families we can't even place a hot spot close to because of hills and valleys.

Last year, many of the kids just didn't attend the online classes, or couldn't participate at all. The kids are suffering, they will be so behind, lost in a system that will not work in some areas.

Its very sad, these are the kids that need all support services schools offer, the nurse, the counselor, the smiling lunch lady, the principal, the library staff. They need the school breakfast, lunch and the backpack we send home with dinner. Most of all they need the love that we all share in our schools.

I cry everyday for our kids. I feel we will loose some forever.

No we can't even think of sending our kids back with 15 to 20% positivity rates.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
  16. Simply Southern

So well said!!! Especially for our children in rural areas. The isolation, lack of internet, lack of 3 meals, a smile, a peaceful environment free of harm.

I know the emotional toll I have experienced.

17. Simply Southern

In a normal school years, we see our schools close once or twice during the flu season. They close Thursday and Friday, deep clean. Kids and teachers are over the regular flu in just a few days.

roche.analisa, Tadpole12, byo and 4 others like this.
  18. Tillicum

Third of Americans would say 'no' to COVID vaccine - even if it was free

More than a third of Americans say they would not get a COVID-19 vaccine right now, even if were free and FDA-approved, according to a new Gallup poll.

Political party affiliation is the biggest difference-maker as 81% of Democrats said they would get a vaccine, while less than half of Republicans, 47%, said they would get the vaccine.

White Americans are more likely than non-White Americans to say they would get a vaccine if it was available, 67% to 59%. That’s despite the fact that “some racial and ethnic minority groups are being disproportionately affected by COVID-19,” as the CDC puts it.

19. Midgie2

Midgie2 Well-Known Member

Same here.

20. Tillicum

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.