Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #74

Discussion in 'Coronavirus - Covid-19' started by Amonet, Jan 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SouthAussie

SouthAussie Well-Known Member

My thought immediately went to Auckland airport workers. The infected persons have done no overseas travel .. but I wonder if they have had contact with any asymptomatic airport workers.

NZ has been continually repatriating its citizens, in the same way that we have. There is still airport traffic.

2. Clair Louise

Clair Louise Former Member

Good thought, seeing some of the quarantined returning citizens have tested positive.

margarita25, Tadpole12, Bravo and 4 others like this.
  3. Kensie

Kensie Well-Known Member

This is what happens when you are under safer at home and schools re-open. Makes no sense. This school district is 20 miles from me.
    More than 70 Lincoln County students in quarantine

Why are the schools opening when we are under safer at home??? Go Figure.

4. Kensie

Kensie Well-Known Member

TN and AL are jerking parents around. Schools have opened and now some are closing again and changing dates. Schools should not be opening when under safer at home. This is such a sore subject for me and my kids are adults. WHY do they have to start school in early August especially when it is 100 degrees outside and we have a silent killer among us.

Sorry for the rant.

margarita25, Tadpole12, Bravo and 9 others like this.
  5. Simply Southern

Simply Southern Well-Known Member

I've been very concerned. Any protein is at risk in general and require strict best practices, now Covid.

Haven't been able to eat chicken since the outbreaks in Virginia. They were working sick, multiple families living in the home. Heartbreaking. It took many reports to the CDC when the governor would not help them. He's the only governor in the US that's a doctor.

I had stocked up at the beginning, gave all the chicken away in May. Nope....

I still eat beef, but only from my butcher. I want nothing coming out of a plant.

6. katydid23

katydid23 Well-Known Member

That seems like such a slippery slope.

If it catches on, can they expand that chip in the future, to include HIV, or TB? Can they include who has taken future vaccines and who hasn't?

byo, Tadpole12, SouthAussie and 4 others like this.
  7. Kensie

Kensie Well-Known Member

I lost interest in eating meat with all the plant outbreaks. Thank goodness for tomato sandwiches.

8. anneg

anneg Well-Known Member

We've been getting some beef, chicken, and pork from vendors at our local farmers market. I feel comfortable buying the meat, but it's expensive compared with the grocery store, and the market doesn't operate year round.

margarita25, Tadpole12, Bravo and 5 others like this.
  9. Simply Southern

My guess...someone entering the country in the last 14 days?

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
  10. Simply Southern

Go ahead, rant. I'm with you. My state has a few schools opening this week. In areas with populations less than 3,000 and everybody knows everybody and "their business". They have 4 or less percent positively rate and no deaths. Small groups go one day per week. Internet connective is extremely low in these areas. They are accustomed to working from home several times over the winter due to weather.

Hoping and praying for the best for these kids. These are county kids, farmers kids, use to doing what mama and daddy say. If they don't somebody's gonna tell them.

We'll soon see if these kids can stay Covid free.

11. Simply Southern

I've been living off tomato sandwich, white bread and Dukes. Thanks to the rain, I have a bounty.

margarita25, Tadpole12, tmar and 3 others like this.
  12. Simply Southern

I think local is much better. Check with the vendors, you can usually order and pick up after the market closes, meats especially. Late fall was always the big slaughter time growing up in farming Hogs and beef, always in the colder months. Now days farmers have product year round.

margarita25, Tadpole12 and anneg like this.
  13. anneg

anneg Well-Known Member

I like to make tomato-cheese open-face sandwiches. Toast a slice of bread, apply Dukes, add a nice thick slice of tomato and a slice of muenster cheese (or cheddar), and put under the broiler until the cheese gets melty. Eat with knife and fork. Yum!

14. anneg

anneg Well-Known Member

I am sure you are right and we will do that. We can pre-order now to pick up at the weekly market.

15. Tony1902

Tony1902 Hey na na...lagunas mentales

What is Dukes? Anything like creole mustard?

margarita25, Tadpole12, Bravo and 3 others like this.
  16. Simply Southern

Yum Yum....

margarita25, Tadpole12 and mommadukes like this.
  17. Simply Southern

Dukes mayonnaise of the South!!
    When my sister moved to Florida, I shipped it to her.

[​IMG]
    Duke's Mayonnaise

Duke's Mayonnaise
    is a condiment created by Eugenia Duke[2] in Greenville, South Carolina, in 1917.[3][4] It is the third-largest mayonnaise brand in the United States behind Hellmann'sand Kraft.

Early in its history, its popularity was largely limited to the South.[5] It is used in regional favorites such as tomato sandwiches, cole slaw, deviled eggs, pimento cheese, and potato salad.[6][7][8] Duke's Mayonnaise contains more egg yolks than other mayonnaise products and no added sugar.

In 1929, the C.F. Sauer Company in Richmond, Virginia purchased the Duke's products, and Duke's Mayonnaise became the company's flagship product.[9]

By 2017, Duke's Mayonnaise was available throughout the United States, as well as in New Zealand, Australia and the Middle East. In 2017, Sauer announced that it was also starting sales to Latin America.[9]

Duke's Mayonnaise - Wikipedia

18. Han

Han Well-Known Member

Whatever happened to that can of worms emoji? And this time I opened the can.
    :rolleyes:

byo, Tadpole12, CSIDreamer and 4 others like this.
  19. Simply Southern

I was making a tomato sandwich the other day and it just hit me....they never feed us anything for lunch in the summer except a tomato sandwich and never chips, nope. Nobody ever said what kinda sandwich would you like. Just set the plate down and we ate.

It was the ultimate cheap lunch.

Never would happen with kids today.

Tadpole12, anneg, Sundog and 4 others like this.
  20. 10ofRods

10ofRods Verified Anthropologist

Because people want things to be "normal" and for their children to have "normal" lives. Also, the government wants schools to act as babysitters. Most schools are trying for social distancing - the teaching of which is going to take up so much time.

Older kids will also challenge all those rules (especially during passing time, recess and lunch - and after school). Teachers in middle school and high school will be the ones most likely to get sick and need hospitalization - CDC has advice about closing the schools. In some states, they're not even keeping kids in cohorts where contract tracing could be easier.

It's happening because of the people who get it, it only kills about 5-6%.

Murder kills far fewer. Car accidents kill far fewer. Yet, somehow, the average person apparently believes that stat is acceptable. Of course, for the average parent, it's probably only 1% (2-3% if they're overweight or obese or diabetic or have a heart arrhythmia or high blood pressure or an immune problem).

Think of 100 overweight friends and family and then get ready to say goodbye to 2-3 of them.

And then think of the rehab, the long hospitalizations and the post-CoVid damage to bodies that afflict about another 15-20% (at least).

I guess our insurance companies will start going under. But I also think a lot of people are simply uninsured and this will be a big trial for them to get through.

I also wonder how many asymptomatic kids will pass CoVid on to their parents, siblings, teachers, bus drivers and others before they are even identified.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.