Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #74

Status
Not open for further replies.
Poll: More than 50 percent of Ohio restaurants could close within 9 months | NBC4 WCMH-TV

The Ohio Restaurant Association has released a new poll of its members showing the growing impact the coronavirus is having on the industry.

According to the latest numbers, 54 percent of restaurants believe they will have to close permanently in the next nine months if operating at their current capacity.

That number was a 23 perent increase from the week prior.

“Fifty-four percent of restaurants in the state of Ohio – that’s equivalent to 12,420 restaurants. So that’s a megawatt number,” said John Barker, president & CEO of the Ohio Restaurant Association. “That means we have 310,000 employees at risk. That would be over half the industry and this is the second biggest employer in the state.”

This just kills me.

Vent any time you want.:). That's what we're here for, to lean on each other. I had one over schools the other day and masks at Big Lots the week before. Thank goodness for the kind members who supported me.

If the weather is warm, they can social distance outside and even wear mask. Maybe baby steps. And remember hand washing. We don't hear much about this but its as important or maybe most important moo. We touch everything with our hands and then our face.

My dad for born in 1911, he was a hand-washing fanatic. If he ask you to make a sandwich he would say .... make sure you wash your hands first , then when you would bring him the sandwich, would say ....did you wash your hands with soap. Drove me nuts growing up.

At large family gathers he would only each certain folks food and even ask mom ...who made it. I was gonna eat that chocolate cake and pie no matter who made it!!! Again drove me nuts.

Now I know why. He was 7 during the 1918 pandemic. Hand washing and disinfecting had been instilled in him at a very young age and he must of had vivid memories memories of this. Ten brothers and sisters and no one died of the flu.

I find it much easier with the 5yo to wash his hands, the 12yo will say...I just washed them. All three are great to mask up and grab and pass the hand sanitizer with out prompting, if we are out.

These are going to be precautions I feel our younger generation will use throughout life.

That is very interesting about your father. We all could benefit from having someone in our families who helps get this message across. My mother was 11 during 1918-19, but I don't recall hearing any stories about her family having the flu. They lived in a rural area in Missouri, so perhaps they escaped it. I wish I could ask her. I do recall that she and one of her sisters were very ill one year, but I'm pretty sure it was something different (scarlet fever maybe).

Re today's children adopting such precautions, they need to have parents or other adults in their lives who model, teach, and help reinforce the behaviors until they become habitual. I wonder what percentage of kids have such adults in their lives. Will daycare or school teachers be able to do this if the child's adult family members do not? I'm skeptical... MOO.

I be trekkin' now, ty SS

Love it, when ya, go all techie and post the videos!!!

I really like Bob Brown, always got a twist. He's with the Richmond Times Dispatch, but the article appeared in a lot of local papers. I've always been a think out of the box person.

Thanks for the videos....more of the good old days.

From peanut butter to applesauce, Washington state stockpiles tons of food for the need ahead

Is it hoarding when the state does it? lol

"“We went into panic mode,” Sandison said. “That’s not an exaggeration. … So we jumped in with both feet and started active procurement on our end.”

But as the WSDA was trying to buy as much nonperishable food as it could to increase the state’s emergency reserves, so was everyone else.

Not only was the WSDA competing with other states and large national food-assistance programs, it also faced competition from grocery stores as national supplies of products such as pasta and peanut butter were becoming increasingly hard to come by."

That is very interesting about your father. We all could benefit from having someone in our families who helps get this message across. My mother was 11 during 1918-19, but I don't recall hearing any stories about her family having the flu. They lived in a rural area in Missouri, so perhaps they escaped it. I wish I could ask her. I do recall that she and one of her sisters were very ill one year, but I'm pretty sure it was something different (scarlet fever maybe).

Re today's children adopting such precautions, they need to have parents or other adults in their lives who model, teach, and help reinforce the behaviors until they become habitual. I wonder what percentage of kids have such adults in their lives. Will daycare or school teachers be able to do this if the child's adult family members do not? I'm skeptical... MOO.

That's kinda my point. We may not can change the mind of strong willed adults. But we can program our child and grandchild early on.

My dad and all his sisters and brothers passed away years ago. I've put this theory together based on family stories passed down, written family history and behavior and observation. They never spoke of the 1918 flu, but they were all obsessed with cleanliness. Go wash your hands, they're "nasty". I always remember the word "nasty" and the tone used.

It's amazing no one in the family died. My grandfather was a big well known Baptist preacher. I would love to know how he handled it, surely there were funerals and potential exposure.

Moo

I've been trying to keep the calories down by using just one slice of bread, tomato, and cheese (and Duke's mayo of course)...but I've got to try this Kraft version now. I could make it and split it with DH, I guess. Maybe.

I've thrown caution to the wind. If I might died, at least I've been happy. Lol...

Iowa numbers today: As of 10:30 a.m. today, we had 499 new confirmed cases for a total of 49,702 confirmed cases of which 38,548 have recovered (+547). 12 more had passed away for a total of 949. Iowa adds 499 new COVID-19 cases, 12 additional deaths
Iowa COVID-19 Information
I was able to do some searching and found articles for Monday and Tuesday as well:
Total number of COVID-19 cases in Iowa reaches 49,000
Six additional COVID-19 related deaths reported in Iowa as number of cases climbs
From reading the articles, it looks like there are a total of 970 confirmed cases since my last post on Sunday and a total of 19 have passed since Sunday.

Last edited:
I also let items sit around for 24 hours (non perishables) before i put them away---
I was at Walmart the other day- i saw a top i liked and bought it and it has been sitting on a chair for over a week; i am considering washing it before i wear it though i think if there was any virus on it, after a week it must be dead.

(Yes, imo wash it EVEN IF there is no CV on it. People try that stuff on, ETC. These items make the journey from China or wherever they are made and come in contact with all kinds of people and germs and surfaces, including at the checkout. I always wash new stuff before wearing it. For all you know the last person who tried it on could have had scabies. Also, the dyes and chemicals...MOO.)
Eta: Many years back I read article about why you always should wash items before wearing them. Iirc, it was pretty narly.

I was at our Hospital last week for some imaging. Screened coming in and had to fill out a questionnaire. It listed all the usual Covid symptoms but one really stood out to me. It asked-have you had a fall for no apparent reason. Perhaps that might be associated with brain fog???

Really? That’s interesting. I can’t say I’ve heard that before.

I haven’t read the article yet, but I am LASER FOCUSED on Winter. I’m still working like mad to get basic things like rice and broth. You guys wouldn’t belieeeeve the trouble I’ve been having, and this is the time when things have even opened for manufacturing, supplies are being replenished, restrictions have been loosened, etc. I expect nothing short of complete chaos in winter, jmo.

Last edited:
Yes all good here. Are you coming out the other side now?
Definitely, thank you! No fatigue episodes for two or three weeks. The only thing I've noticed is where it's been so hot here, 32 degrees for a good run of days, my chest feels a bit tight. I dont remember that before but then it's v rare we have these temps, so who knows!

Well, it's definitely airborne. Which means virus particles are hanging on in the air for a long time.
"Now a team of virologists and aerosol scientists has produced exactly that: confirmation of infectious virus in the air."
‘A Smoking Gun’: Infectious Coronavirus Retrieved From Hospital Air

BBM:
“The research was exacting. Aerosols are minute by definition, measuring only up to five micrometers across; evaporation can make them even smaller. Attempts to capture these delicate droplets usually damage the virus they contain.”

“Evaporation”? I don’t recall ever hearing/talking about or considering this aspect.

Last edited:
If it didn't start from human interaction, what could be the source? Such a mystery. I hope they find the source is something that can be controlled.

We have at least one outbreak in NSW that they cannot (yet) find the source. The school outbreak that I posted about yesterday. They know where the students caught the virus (on retreat), but they don't know what/who it was caught from.

The most important thing here, which is VITAL and KEY to fighting this virus, is that NZ IS in the place to be able to do exactly that. Flare ups are to be expected, but the difference for NZ and AUS compared to, say the US, is that they are in a position where they can immediately implement control measures such as contact tracing to suppress spread. While they may not know the source, at least at this moment, chances are good that they will be able to find it. They are already in a position to do this, whereas we are not. Contact tracing is challenged here, to say the least.

I guess what I’m saying is that places that have done well with suppression are exactly where they need to be, which is in a position to be able control the flare ups. They have spot fires, not one big raging inferno. And citizens are motivated and committed collectively to fight back, which is imperative.

Covid death recount reduces UK toll by 5,000

I had mixed feelings about this until I read that a death would be included regardless of timescale if CV is on the death cert at all.

Otherwise, I thought it was a bit iffy for long term ICU cases which clearly started with CV.

They were over-counting e.g. including traffic accidents being counted as Covid deaths because they'd once had a positive result. It's good/better news but only marginally. Brings our 'deaths per million' rate down from 688 to 608 and from 3rd highest to 6th.

Today just just mentioned shocking results in a study of vaping and Covid - they haven’t aired the story yet - will look for the study and add link
ETA
Vaping linked to COVID-19 risk in teens and young adults

You know what’s wild? Your post reminded me...

IIrc, in the VERY early days, I posted one of the first reports from the CDC on Coronavirus. That very same day, iirc moo, they also put out an unrelated report on vaping. I found it interesting at the time and noted this for reference. Perhaps the timing of these reports was coincidental, or not, idk. I’d have to go back and check the exact context in my post about this, so the above is to my best hazy recollection atm.

From peanut butter to applesauce, Washington state stockpiles tons of food for the need ahead

Is it hoarding when the state does it? lol

"“We went into panic mode,” Sandison said. “That’s not an exaggeration. … So we jumped in with both feet and started active procurement on our end.”

But as the WSDA was trying to buy as much nonperishable food as it could to increase the state’s emergency reserves, so was everyone else.

Not only was the WSDA competing with other states and large national food-assistance programs, it also faced competition from grocery stores as national supplies of products such as pasta and peanut butter were becoming increasingly hard to come by."

I am monitoring food supply chains practically every day, all outlets-Walmart, Target, Kroger, Amazon, Costco, Whole Foods, Instacart and all the grocery stores like Safeway, King Soopers, etc, as well as direct suppliers. There are some goods which are especially challenged, and I can not stress the importance of being prepared. If March is any indication...I hope it’s not as bad as what I’m expecting it to be, but imo if certain things are unavailable now in summer when we’ve had time to replenish...I’ve been working for several months now to slowly and very methodically build the pantry for winter. Every extra penny goes to an extra bag of rice, or extra few cans of soup...

Things have gotten better in some regards—Instacart has hired more employees for example. And some manufacturing facilities and stores have improved upon their safety measures, etc. Some grocery stores have now loosened their limits (example, the previous 2 chicken products per person restriction). But I still foresee a worsened supply and demand issue around the corner, because I’m already seeing it now with some things, jmo.

Last edited:
Hi friends....have been on sit and stay program since February and doing well.
Daughter and SIL grocery shop for me, and I go to post office for mail in the evening hours. Don't think I told you that my sister and BIL have the virus.
They are older but still at home. I check on WS a few times a day and hope that all are doing well. Hugs....Lato

@Lato

Hoping your sister and BIL will be Ok. We are here for you. Let us know how things are going with your family, if you can?

{{{Hugs}}}

SOUTH CAROLINA Update - Are we finally doing something right?

‘Wearing face masks works’ DHEC says as it announces 712 new COVID-19 cases, 45 more deaths in SC
"Also in Wednesday’s news release from DHEC, Dr. Linda Bell provided statistics about how well face masks work to help fight the spread. Since face requirements have gone into effect in many cities and counties in South Carolina, those areas have seen an overall decrease of 15.1% of total cases, compared to before the requirements were in place, DHEC said. Jurisdictions without mask requirements have seen an overall increase in total cases of 30.4% during the same time frame, according to DHEC data.

“We will be in a much better position in four to six weeks if South Carolinians practice physical distancing and use a mask,” Bell said. “The residents in jurisdictions that acted first are seeing the benefits earlier. This shows the sooner prevention measures are adopted, the sooner we all benefit.”

102,143 confirmed positive cases (+712)
2,057 confirmed deaths (+45)
Percent Positive - 19.6 %

SC Testing Data & Projections (COVID-19) | SCDHEC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics