Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #74

Status
Not open for further replies.

My first reaction was, of course, wth (well not “hell”, other expletive). And I’m still not “happy” about it, as we KNOW masks are very important. However, reading the article, there is this point mentioned:

BBM:
“Ocala and other municipalities in Marion County also advise officers not to wear masks while on duty so their communication to people they encounter is clear.”

Now whether this justifies not wearing a mask, that’s up for debate. I would have to say that perhaps mask wearing is more important. But it must be noted that clear communication IS also important. I guess maybe they just have to yell louder, idk.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, but drinking cleaning products because social media said so gets you a Darwin Award:

At least 800 people died around the world because of coronavirus-related misinformation in the first three months of this year, researchers say.

A study published in the American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene says about 5,800 people were admitted to hospital as a result of false information on social media.

Many died from drinking methanol or alcohol-based cleaning products. They wrongly believed the products to be a cure for the virus.

'Hundreds dead' because of Covid-19 misinformation

I'm sorry, but drinking cleaning products because social media said so gets you a Darwin Award:

At least 800 people died around the world because of coronavirus-related misinformation in the first three months of this year, researchers say.

A study published in the American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene says about 5,800 people were admitted to hospital as a result of false information on social media.

Many died from drinking methanol or alcohol-based cleaning products. They wrongly believed the products to be a cure for the virus.

'Hundreds dead' because of Covid-19 misinformation

I think more likely (we all know media spin) the hand sanitizer smelled like booze because it came from a distillery. A friend of mine said hers smells like Captain Morgan. Mine smells almost like Schnapps. I don't doubt some of them did get misinformation but still. You know people. Jmo

.... news from Russia that the world's first COVID-19 vaccine has been approved is hard to get excited about, Australian experts say.
"'Reckless' is the mildest word you can use for the decision of the Russian authorities," said immunologist Jose Villadangos, from the University of Melbourne.

But Russian vaccine developers have skipped the all-important phase 3 of clinical trials.

This means the vaccine, named Sputnik V, has not been tested for effectiveness or safety on a large scale, and it puts those who will soon be using it at risk.

"In some ways, the approach reported to be taken in Russia is to have a phase 3 trial on the whole population," says Brian Oliver, who leads the Respiratory Molecular Pathogenesis Group at UTS.

Why development of Russia's COVID-19 vaccine is 'reckless'

I just got a call from my long distance sister. She has six grands and said that she would only see the new baby of one of her children, and isolate and not see the family member kiddos that are young with the other 5 children from her kiddo in their 30's. All 5 are in middle and high school.

She broke the rule she set.

She called me 3 nights ago and one of the five (the oldest in high school) she wasn't supposed to see was there at her house overnight. He had gotten back from a PLANE TRIP earlier.Because her child said that the kid was bored and needed to travel and get out of being shut down *cough*

Just now, she texted me she awoke last night with a severe headache, and is nauseous, and very sick. I wrote back to notify friends and next door good friend to help.

She's not returning my texts now.

sometimes we need a desparately sad face emoji here..............

My first reaction was, of course, wth (well not “hell”, other expletive). And I’m still not “happy” about it, as we KNOW masks are very important. However, reading the article, there is this point mentioned:

BBM:
“Ocala and other municipalities in Marion County also advise officers not to wear masks while on duty so their communication to people they encounter is clear.”

Now whether this justifies not wearing a mask, that’s up for debate. I would have to say that perhaps mask wearing is more important. But it must be noted that clear communication IS also important. I guess maybe they just have to yell louder, idk.

I also thought WTH and read the story. From the link (BBM):
"He [the sheriff] added, "in light of the current events when it comes to the sentiment and/or hatred toward law enforcement in our country today, this is being done to ensure there is clear communication and for identification purposes of any individual walking into a lobby." That helps provide some context. Still seems really strange, though.

The cluster in Auckland has grown to five after a new positive COVID-19 case was confirmed yesterday, and up to 200 close contacts are being tested.

Director General of Health Dr Ashley Bloomfield yesterday said one of the first new cases was a man who worked at Americold, a cool store company in Mount Wellington.

They are also investigating whether it may have been spread to other parts of the country in cold storage.

New Zealand authorities, keen to beat the virus once more, are keeping a close eye on four additional "probable cases" of people with symptoms linked to those already confirmed to have COVID-19.
"All of these probable cases are waiting test results," Dr Bloomfield said.

NZ coronavirus outbreak grows to five

Victorian coronavirus cases linked to homes, social settings as worst-hit workplaces revealed

Victorian coronavirus cases linked to homes, social settings as worst-hit workplaces revealed

1 hour ago
Homes and social settings have made up a significant proportion of Victoria's coronavirus outbreaks during the state's second wave, while abattoirs and warehouses remain some of the workplaces hardest hit by the virus.
What the Government classes as "other" outbreaks — student accommodation, backpacker hostels, social settings, families and home settings — have accounted for 5,004 cases from June 1 to August 11.

Those infections are spread across 369 outbreak settings in Victoria.

When the state halted the easing of restrictions in mid-June, the Premier said rising COVID-19 infections were being driven by family-to-family transmission.
When the state halted the easing of restrictions in mid-June, the Premier said rising COVID-19 infections were being driven by family-to-family transmission.

By mid-July, and following the reintroduction of stage 3 restrictions in Melbourne and the Mitchell Shire, authorities said new infections were being driven by transmission in workplaces.

Now, under stage 4 restrictions, about a quarter of a million Victorians have been stood down from their jobs or told to stay home from work as entire industries close in a bid to stop the spread of the virus.
More than 1,000 healthcare workers currently have the virus, but the Premier said early analysis showed the "majority of healthcare workers are acquiring coronavirus outside of the workplace"

I must be dumb because though I've looked, quite a few times, I can't see any option to use emoji here
Is there a list somewhere and we just copy and paste ?
I've lost the list we used to use on other forums and do remember how some were annoyed by some of my favourites, the dancing banana, and the animated giggle :)
And there was one from way back, when families only had one computer, it was a tug of war over the computer.
The most I can do here is just ones from my keyboard, like the smiley :) or the sad :(
Sorry if this is off topic but I thought I'd ask as I see others emoji and wonder how they do it.
I remember when they used to be called emoticons.

sometimes we need a desparately sad face emoji here..............

Last edited:
The first article is just reinforcing Johnson's opinion with no proof of anything and the second says what we all know, in that children are not as badly affected, but it does not touch the point that they can still spread it.

No that isn't right. This is what the first article stated:-

"The education secretary said the "latest research, which is expected to be published later this year - one of the largest studies on the coronavirus in schools in the world", would make it "clear there is little evidence that the virus is transmitted at school".

He is believed to be referring to a forthcoming report to be released by Public Health England "

So there is a report coming out .

BBM:
.... news from Russia that the world's first COVID-19 vaccine has been approved is hard to get excited about, Australian experts say.
"'Reckless' is the mildest word you can use for the decision of the Russian authorities," said immunologist Jose Villadangos, from the University of Melbourne.

But Russian vaccine developers have skipped the all-important phase 3 of clinical trials.

This means the vaccine, named Sputnik V, has not been tested for effectiveness or safety on a large scale, and it puts those who will soon be using it at risk.

"In some ways, the approach reported to be taken in Russia is to have a phase 3 trial on the whole population," says Brian Oliver, who leads the Respiratory Molecular Pathogenesis Group at UTS.

Why development of Russia's COVID-19 vaccine is 'reckless'

:eek:

Now THIS is scary.

The cluster in Auckland has grown to five after a new positive COVID-19 case was confirmed yesterday, and up to 200 close contacts are being tested.

Director General of Health Dr Ashley Bloomfield yesterday said one of the first new cases was a man who worked at Americold, a cool store company in Mount Wellington.

They are also investigating whether it may have been spread to other parts of the country in cold storage.

New Zealand authorities, keen to beat the virus once more, are keeping a close eye on four additional "probable cases" of people with symptoms linked to those already confirmed to have COVID-19.
"All of these probable cases are waiting test results," Dr Bloomfield said.

NZ coronavirus outbreak grows to five

I think the important thing here is for Americans to notice JUST HOW SERIOUSLY other nations take these small clusters, or “handful of cases”. We are in the millions and you guys are concerned (rightfully) over a small number of cases. This says a lot in the big scheme of things, as some people in the US still don’t care even though we are in the millions.

Eta/omg:
United States Coronavirus: 5,355,347 Cases and 168,970 Deaths - Worldometer

Last edited:
No that isn't right. This is what the first article stated:-

"The education secretary said the "latest research, which is expected to be published later this year - one of the largest studies on the coronavirus in schools in the world", would make it "clear there is little evidence that the virus is transmitted at school".

He is believed to be referring to a forthcoming report to be released by Public Health England "

So there is a report coming out .
I will wait to see it then. I wonder why it hasn't been published if the education secretary has drawn his conclusions for it.

:eek:
Oh yes that's just like the format on my old forum, there used to be a list there so looks like here works the same way.

:giggle: The giggle doesn't work. How about my :banana: No.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member