Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #76

Discussion in 'Coronavirus - Covid-19' started by Amonet, Jan 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mickey2942

mickey2942 Well-Known Member

There are some people who can't give plasma, I am not sure what the reasons are, but I have been "rejected" for plasma donation.

Why some people get coronavirus symptoms, but still test negative

This article is interesting, and my experience recently has made me wonder what validity these Covid-19 tests have...

2. SouthAussie

SouthAussie Where sunbeams shine

There is such a shortage of plasma that they say about ½ of blood donations are used just for the plasma. They separate the plasma from the blood and throw the rest away. Which is kind of a shame because they need blood reserves too.

TootsieFootsie, Cool Cats and Han like this.
  3. Han

Han Well-Known Member

According to this website most of the states in the US are in deep trouble with either caution warranted, trending poorly or uncontrolled spread. :( Only six states in New England are trending better. Sigh*

4. Clair Louise

Clair Louise Former Member

My daughter has A neg blood type, (not a common type) and also has given plasma. Quite often though they reject her after they have called her in because her RBC is too low. If they are calling your daughter in often, she must have good red cell making properties.

Cool Cats, kkdj, Han and 1 other person like this.
  5. Trino

Trino Well-Known Member

I too have been watching Texas, i.e. San Antonio because we have been spending winters there. SA has listed the approximate number by zip code. The zip where we stay is one of the highest rates of COVID-19.

Cool Cats and Han like this.
  6. Cool Cats

Cool Cats Leave the DRAMA take the cannoli

MrX and tresir2012 like this.
  7. astheworldfallsdown

astheworldfallsdown Well-Known Member

Coronavirus: Pupils to be told to wear face masks in Scottish secondary schools from next week

Secondary school pupils in Scotland will have to wear face coverings when moving through corridors and other communal areas from next week.

Scotland's Education Secretary John Swinney announced the move on Tuesday after consulting with teachers and councils on the new guidance.

"From 31 August young people over the age of 12 in secondary schools should habitually wear face coverings when they are moving around schools and corridors and in communal areas where it is difficult to deliver the physical distancing," Mr Swinney told the BBC.

Cool Cats likes this.
  8. Cool Cats

Cool Cats Leave the DRAMA take the cannoli

Sundog likes this.
  9. tresir2012

tresir2012 Former Member

'It's a parent's worst nightmare:' CA teen fights for his life after contracting COVID-19 twice

" "He would shiver and it was warm and then he would get hot when it was cold and then the fever and the cough. It was horrible," says Cady.

After 14 days, he was cleared. But weeks passed and Cady said her son wasn't his normal self.

A doctor's visit revealed he had lost 20 pounds. Hours later his feet started swelling.

That's when Cady rushed him to the hospital.

"They explained to me that that was a sign of heart failure," says Cady.

He tested positive for coronavirus again.

Even more alarming, doctors discovered a hole in his heart and two heart valves on the verge of failure. According to doctors, the hole was already there and COVID made it worse. "

byo and Tillicum like this.
  10. Rose in SC

Rose in SC Lurker Who Lurks

I saw this same article on Yahoo yesterday but at no point did they explain where to sew the button on to your mask. I'm no seamstress by any means but I think even I can attach a button. I found the Facebook poster's original post with a picture of her button hack but I don't know how to post it here.

Nic Jam

ETA: oooh, I don't what the big red X is all about - mods, please delete if necessary :oops:

[​IMG]

Cool Cats and byo like this.
  11. ilovewings

ilovewings Well-Known Member

I have some choice words for the governor of S.D. Ignorant is one word that comes to mind immediately and downright dangerous.

12. Simply Southern

Simply Southern Well-Known Member

I had similar thoughts, why pay to be stuck in a dorm taking online classes.

The local press interviewed several at VT, the response was surprising. Kids walking outside on the beautiful campus, meeting/making new friends and the excitement in the eyes of our incoming freshmen. I feel study groups will be more important than ever this year, not only academically but providing small groups socialization. Strict self disciple, commitment will help shape the future of these young adults.

‘It’s a smart decision’: VT students react to new COVID-19 policies

“It’s a smart decision,” said freshman Ragen Renner.

Renner and another freshman, Claire Ganzenmuller, said they are fine with the rules so they can at least have some semblance of a normal college experience.

Schools are slowly shutting down. So, I mean, I’m OK with whatever guidelines they put in place just so that I can stay on campus for my freshman year,” said Renner.

“This is definitely an incentive to follow the rules,” said Ganzenmuller. “I mean, no one really wants to be suspended.”

First day back at Virginia Tech, new policies are in place

“I understand why we’re doing it so I can’t really complain because safety is the most important,” said senior Meena Kannan. “We’ve spent the last three years here, so it was important to us to also spend our senior year in Blacksburg where we started. Even if we have to wear masks and follow all of these restrictions, I think it’s worth it in the end.”

Of the students we spoke to, not a single one had an in-person class Monday; many of them are only taking courses online.

“I didn’t really have a choice because I already paid for everything and signed up, but it’s also different to work at school than to be at home,” said freshman Brian Smith.

Smith said one of his classes was supposed to be in person, but it switched to online as the semester got closer.

“It’s all to keep us here on campus so if it’s to keep us on campus and to keep us safe I’m perfectly fine with any choice they make on restrictions,” Smith said.

Senior Jessica Mrdian said even the in-person classes still have online portions. She said in her lab it’s an excused absence if you have any symptoms of the virus.

Owczarski said the university wants students to help each other follow public health guidelines as often as they can. Students tell us for the most part if they say something, their peers will listen.

“We’ll basically yell at them to wear their masks because we all know that we’re not going to be here if everybody doesn’t follow the rules so we might as well follow the rules that are put into place so we can have a good year, as good as it gets,” Kannan said. “For the most part people are receptive because I think they understand that they need to wear masks if they want to be here.”

Freshman Tanav Voddepalli said he has been on campus and seen the evolution of mask wearing outside.

“You can definitely tell it’s gotten stricter and stricter as more people have gotten here,” Voddepalli said. “Outside is the biggest difference that I have seen.”

“Being here I just love it and I don’t want to go back home, so it’s so important that we follow these rules so we don’t get sent back,” Fugleberg said.

13. Sundog

Sundog Well-Known Member

On my drive to work over the last two years (other than the past five months due to working remotely), I drive by a couple of plasma donation centers, they are privately run, and I notice that they often have lines of people waiting to get in and donate plasma, as they are paid for their donations. An ad currently running in the fall university welcome back newspaper also says that new plasma donors earn $250 for 5 donations, and that they can get a bonus if they enroll in various specialty programs. Students and seasonal unemployed, and unemployed, are recruited aggressively to these private plasma donation centers. It's a fast way to make $250 for students. Not sure how often they can return to donate plasma after they make their 5 donations. Also wonder what role, if any, these private plasma donation centers will play in collecting plasma from COVID positive donors.

ETA I just googled plasma donation centers, and it turns out that there are many centers that will give new donors up to $700 for 8 donations, and the average looks like $400. So the ad that I saw in the student newspaper for fall reopening that offered only $250 is low on the donation earnings scale, apparently.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
    realanastasia, KALI, byo and 3 others like this.
  14. SouthAussie

SouthAussie Where sunbeams shine

We are using convalescent plasma for our covid patients. But I believe it is all done by (free) donation, as are all of our blood donations. The Red Cross have been requesting 'covid' plasma donations to use for covid convalescent purposes.

I know that plasma donors can donate every two or three weeks without affecting their own health. Blood donors need to wait for about 12 weeks before donating again.

"Convalescent plasma donations from someone who has recovered from COVID-19 may help boost the immunity of patients still battling the disease.
    We’re incredibly proud to be part of this initiative, but we need help from people who have been diagnosed with and have recovered from COVID-19.
    Donating plasma is a simple, powerful act that could help a patient struggling to fight the disease. It’s a real opportunity for people who have battled COVID-19 to become part of a potential solution."
    COVID-19 convalescent plasma

TootsieFootsie and musicaljoke like this.
  15. Simply Southern

All private schools in Virginia are open full-time to students.

Private schools have the advantage of parental support and commitment to protect and keep students safe. Parents also have a ruling majority in decision making for the school.

Teachers are paid less than public schools, have less benefits in order to enjoy less government restrictions, freedom to provide creative learning opportunities and 100% support from parents.

I sent DD to private school until HS. I was quickly frustrated by the processes to improve the educational experience, the conditions of some buildings and at times the poor quantity of some teachers. It was 3 years of an uphill battle of red tape, government regulations and protecting those with tenure.

Virginia schools are testing teachers and staff, even for online teachers. I was not surprised by the positive tests, but also disappointed. In my small community, it was embarrassing for the teachers, especially when they had shared on FB their wonderful vacation photos at a SC beach hotspot. This created friction in many social circles. This prevented our schools from opening, denying all students the advantage of being tested. I can't help but think, we may have undiscovered sick children needing medical attention that we could have helped weather this virus.

Moo....

Sunny123, Sundog and CSIDreamer like this.
  16. Trino

Trino Well-Known Member

You forgot to mention that private school do not have to take a student whereas public schools are required to educate all.

weepingangel, SouthAussie and human like this.
  17. Simply Southern

I wonder about the humidity factor. I love the much "dryer" air in AZ, verses the 100% humidity of the south east.

In the SE, many are driven indoors due to the heavy humidity. Its harder to breath/work/exercise, easily becoming exhausted/dehydrated and the constant heaviness of the air we breath has us running for air conditioning buildings. I wonder if the moisture in the air allows the virus to survive longer.

The use of masks greatly reduced spread.

All Moo....

Sundog and Tillicum like this.
  18. human

human Well-Known Member

Dr. Death

Emails Reveal Swedish Epidemiologist Urged Coronavirus Spread to Attain Herd Immunity | Democracy Now!

19. tresir2012

tresir2012 Former Member

Perhaps you could provide reasons, as people were completely free to travel between states for recreational purposes? Nothing illegal took place and the infection rate has not been affected that I can see. Campsites and towns and the Black Hills were open for business.

neesaki, Tillicum, CSIDreamer and 2 others like this.
  20. CeeCeeCat

CeeCeeCat London, UK

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.