Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #76

Status
Not open for further replies.
Covid-19 cases confirmed on Greek island flight

All passengers who were on a flight to Wales from a Greek island have been told to self-isolate after some on board tested positive for coronavirus.

Health officials say seven people from three different parties on Tui flight 6215 from Zante to Cardiff on Tuesday have tested positive for Covid-19.

Public Health Wales (PHW) is now contacting the rest of the passengers.

It comes as a group of people from Plymouth tested positive for the virus after returning from Zante on Monday.

"Cardiff and Vale test, trace, protect and Public Health Wales have identified at least seven confirmed cases of Covid-19 from three different parties who were infectious on Tui flight 6215 from Zante to Cardiff on 25 August," said Giri Shankar of PHW.

"As a result, we are advising that all passengers on this flight are considered close contacts and must self-isolate."

This was 6 days ago so they will have been spreading it during that time.

@Tillicum the link above about social distancing also has a useful example regarding quarantining.
Examples show 10 days from getting sick or 14 days if exposure but no symptoms.

From the Plymouth link above -

"Up to 30 young people in Plymouth could be infected with coronavirus having returned from holiday in Greece, local health officials say.

The city's public health team said the group, aged 18 and 19, returned from the island of Zante last week and so far 11 have tested positive.

Many of them had no, or "very minor", symptoms of the virus, they added."

It goes on to say the group went out to several bars in Plymouth when they got back before they knew. Oh oh.

This kind of travel possibly being the cause of Wales' new cases this week?

The number of new cases reported by PHW today (August 30) is 56.
It marks the largest daily jump so far this week after 40 cases were confirmed on Saturday, 34 on Friday, 35 on Thursday, 34 on Wednesday, 28 on Tuesday, and 19 on Monday.
Wales' daily coronavirus deaths and cases update for August 30

And/or maybe the rave parties have been contributing to the new cases?

Police in England and Wales break up illegal raves as Covid fines introduced

We tried that for quite a while, until it was discovered that many people were not quarantining at home - during the checks. They felt that popping out to the shops for a few items, or popping down to the local cafe for a coffee, wouldn't harm anyone. Which, of course, is not the point of quarantining to keep the community safe. To make sure the virus doesn't present itself on Day 5, or 7, or 12.

Travel being the biggest known cause of virus spread.

We still have home quarantining for returned citizens who are provided exemptions - such as minor children, people who need specific medical care, people coming from safe countries, and other categories.

https://www.health.nsw.gov.au/Infectious/factsheets/Pages/advice-for-travellers.aspx

This is so well organised! I feel a bit jealous. ;)

This kind of travel possibly being the cause of Wales' new cases this week?

The number of new cases reported by PHW today (August 30) is 56.
It marks the largest daily jump so far this week after 40 cases were confirmed on Saturday, 34 on Friday, 35 on Thursday, 34 on Wednesday, 28 on Tuesday, and 19 on Monday.
Wales' daily coronavirus deaths and cases update for August 30

And/or maybe the rave parties have been contributing to the new cases?

Police in England and Wales break up illegal raves as Covid fines introduced
I'm afraid we're seeing an increase due to the number of people who have gone to Europe on holiday this summer. And as they continue to return, our numbers will continue to increase.

Just in time for Unis and schools to re-open.

Best case scenario, it's because we're testing more in known spike areas.

I'm not feeling particularly optimistic right now. Back in March, they said we were three weeks behind Italy... I'm afraid right now we're a couple of weeks behind France and Spain.

JMO

I'm afraid we're seeing an increase due to the number of people who have gone to Europe on holiday this summer. And as they continue to return, our numbers will continue to increase.

Just in time for Unis and schools to re-open.

Best case scenario, it's because we're testing more in known spike areas.

I'm not feeling particularly optimistic right now. Back in March, they said we were three weeks behind Italy... I'm afraid right now we're a couple of weeks behind France and Spain.

JMO

I have a good Aussie friend who has many friends in Wales, coming from there herself. She is concerned as well and wishes the travel would have been stopped. Her direct family have all moved here over the years, but she is still accustomed to returning each northern summer to visit (except this year, of course). She shows me beautiful pics of the stunning countryside.

So my WS friends I am really stressed. I just received a summons for IN PERSON jury duty. Next month. I have not been inside a building but for a very quick shopping trip and one shingles shot nurse visit since MARCH. I will be inside a building with people for an entire day if I am selected. They say they social distance and wear masks. But here I am, I have not gone in a restaurant, bar, grandkids homes or anywhere really in months and now I am forced to go in a courtroom???
And what makes this double sad is that I have wanted to sit on a Jury for all of my adult life and was never summoned. Now it is the last thing I want to do.
Mr Pirate and I have been sheltered at home for months and this???
OH and I should add, this is in Detroit. Wayne County . Just a few cases here, LOL

So my WS friends I am really stressed. I just received a summons for IN PERSON jury duty. Next month. I have not been inside a building but for a very quick shopping trip and one shingles shot nurse visit since MARCH. I will be inside a building with people for an entire day if I am selected. They say they social distance and wear masks. But here I am, I have not gone in a restaurant, bar, grandkids homes or anywhere really in months and now I am forced to go in a courtroom???
And what makes this double sad is that I have wanted to sit on a Jury for all of my adult life and was never summoned. Now it is the last thing I want to do.
OH and I should add, this is in Detroit. Wayne County . Just a few cases here, LOL
"For those who get a summons and have underlying health concerns or other medical issues, the court is willing to postpone your service."

Jury duty set to resume with precautions in Wayne County

Home

Michigan's 36th District Court

The phone number for 36th District Court - Detroit, Wayne County
is 313-965-2200

Last edited:
If you are high risk, a doctor’s note should suffice? If not, just make really bizarre & extreme responses to voir dire questions & you will be dismissed. That is stressful! Wear a face shield AND mask to voir dire & obsessively apply hand sanitizer throughout questioning for good measure. Sounds ridiculous, but it’s the best I can offer.

I have a good Aussie friend who has many friends in Wales, coming from there herself. She is concerned as well and wishes the travel would have been stopped. Her direct family have all moved here over the years, but she is still accustomed to returning each northern summer to visit (except this year, of course). She shows me beautiful pics of the stunning countryside.
It is beautiful. @tresir2012 is v lucky. I'm in central England, less mountains more people!

The lads who tested positive travelled on to Plymouth in England so I think that airport serves south west England as well as Wales. South west England (Devon and Cornwall specifically) have been mobbed by tourists this summer and have seen some increases too. But tourism is essential for a big part of their economy so its a real tough situation.

I'm annual leave from work this week but we're just staying home. It is what it is :(

It is beautiful. @tresir2012 is v lucky. I'm in central England, less mountains more people!

The lads who tested positive travelled on to Plymouth in England so I think that airport serves south west England as well as Wales. South west England (Devon and Cornwall specifically) have been mobbed by tourists this summer and have seen some increases too. But tourism is essential for a big part of their economy so its a real tough situation.

I'm annual leave from work this week but we're just staying home. It is what it is :(

We are encouraged to have staycations. Staying within our own states and rediscovering the beauty here. Mind you, our states are pretty huge with lots of less-populated areas.
Helps the economy, and our desire to get out and do something.

We are encouraged to have staycations. Staying within our own states and rediscovering the beauty here. Mind you, our states are pretty huge with lots of less-populated areas.
Helps the economy, and our desire to get out and do something.
We're in the Chiltern hills and rural, so we're lucky in that respect (if you like hills and farms!). Tomorrow our local pub has an outdoor event, so we're going to venture up there for the first time since March. Otherwise, we're landscaping our garden so we'll visit some reclamation yards and basically just make the best of it.

I just feel sad for tourism, although in England everything is fully booked right now and skyhigh prices.

i live in Oakland County and am surprised live juries are being picked in Wayne
County

I've not heard of any other country that isn't repatrioting its citizens. Space in hotels is irrelevant, these are Australian citizens. The government exists for them, that is their job to get them home. Telling them to set up ******** accounts just doesn't cut it. They need to bring home their citizens. The U.S. used navy hospital ships for potential COVID cases - even though not used after all. Australia needs to find other options if hotels are full, or let their citizens quarantine at home. Hope they resolve this quickly. I can't imagine the U.S. or Canada turning away its citizens who are trying to repatriate. Even China is allowing repatriation of its citizens and green card holders.
Every country handles the virus differently and I am sure that criticisms could be made of them all. There are things that other countries should be doing or should have done IMO.

If you are high risk, a doctor’s note should suffice? If not, just make really bizarre & extreme responses to voir dire questions & you will be dismissed. That is stressful! Wear a face shield AND mask to voir dire & obsessively apply hand sanitizer throughout questioning for good measure. Sounds ridiculous, but it’s the best I can offer.
I appreciate your suggestions! I am not high risk which is normally a good thing. Not so much in this case.

i live in Oakland County and am surprised live juries are being picked in Wayne
County
I am too! In person juries start the middle of September. Just my luck.
We have been so careful and now I will be forced to be around people indoors.

Every country handles the virus differently and I am sure that criticisms could be made of them all. There are things that other countries should be doing or should have done IMO.

Not to worry. Evidently some are not aware that the US is still repatriating citizens (as we are), and they are doing it in even smaller numbers - 7 months into this pandemic.

Eg:
American Citizen Services - U.S. Embassy Lima, Peru
Help! I’m Abroad and My Visa Is About to Run Out
PBS NewsHour: What will become of Americans stranded abroad?
800 Americans Stranded in Venezuela - Zenger News

I point this out because I think, firstly, we should look at what our own countries are doing, and see how we feel about that.

Last edited:
He would be at 70 but I am only 56. I am going to mention his age. He is healthy though so I don’t think his doctor will provide a note that I am his caretaker, etc.
Well good luck. All you can really do is be super careful. I have served on two juries but have been called to three other times when for two of them I had to ring the day before and both times my panel was not required. One other time I was eliminated in the first pick. You may be lucky.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julandken