Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #79

Status
Not open for further replies.
6 months in hospital and 77 days in intensive care, due to covid :eek:

One of Australia's longest-hospitalised coronavirus patients has been discharged from the COVID-19 ward at the Gold Coast University Hospital, where he spent 77 days in intensive care.

Richard Misior was admitted to hospital in March after he contracted coronavirus on board the Ruby Princess cruise ship.

Despite initially showing only mild symptoms, the 81-year-old went on to spend six months in hospital and at one stage was placed in an induced coma.
The virus left Mr Misior paralysed and unable to walk, talk or move.

"Suddenly it turned rather bad. They put me in ICU and of course I lost memories from then," Mr Misior said.
After waking from his coma, Mr Misior struggled to move or communicate due to muscle loss.
"It was terrible," he said.
"People [would] come and talk to me and I can't talk, I can't write.

"It was a hard slog and [there were] lots of difficult periods in between, but things are going well now."

Live: 'We mustn't drop our game': Chief nurse says UK a reminder to stay vigilant as COVID-19 restrictions ease

Just a dozen countries have recorded no cases of COVID-19. Ten of them are Pacific island nations, directly to Australia's east.

One strategy has been central to their virus-free status: each country's government quickly closed borders to international travel at the start of the pandemic.

The first to seal its frontier was the Marshall Islands. Samoa, Tonga, Kiribati, Palau, Micronesia, Tuvalu, Nauru, Vanuatu and the Solomon Islands, followed suit. Six months on, most of the world is ravaged by the coronavirus but these island nations remain virus free.

According to Dr Nicholas Thomson, a public health epidemiologist with the Australia Pacific Security College, the decisive response to shut borders has been vindicated.
The resumption of international tourism would present an enormous health threat but add little to their material living standards.

https://www.smh.com.au/world/oceani...0-of-them-in-the-pacific-20200919-p55x7u.html

Sadly I have noticed this. Though the child of a friend of a friend died from COVID and she was white. She died within just a few hours of showing any signs of serious illness. She looked like she had a mild cold then suddenly two days later struggled to breath. They rushed her to the ER and she was dead within the hour. It's horrifying.

Oh, that is so sad to hear, beatrix.
One of the worst things .... and so unexpected. :(

What’s the population like there? How do you afford a lockdown?

In the US there is poverty that is crushing for many. There are desperate immigrants fleeing abysmal conditions in Mexico, Central and South America that come with nothing. There are not enough wealthy individuals to take of all the needs. Shutting down the economy is catastrophic because many people live month to month and do not own homes. Winter is coming now.

The poverty level is certainly true. But I don't believe our government is incapable of doing more to alleviate the poverty and suffering of others to allow these people to stay home and reduce spread. Basically every other country has managed to do that better.

The most people got here was a one time $1,200 payment for adults while other countries actually covered rent, not just let people avoid paying it for a few months only to be hit in the future with essentially a balloon payment they will never be able to pay. And believe me I do understand the poverty people are talking about. But I refuse to believe we are the only first world country that couldn't provide more for the poor in our country.

Over and over again we have watched since this spring what other countries have done. We can't pretend we had no idea how else things could be done. But I've watched in dismay as we basically did nothing other countries did successfully. I'm sick of hearing we are just too big and complicated to do anything effectively. We are basically declaring ourselves a failed state when we say that. Instead we always bail out large corporations over individuals.

From thr article.

We looked at every confirmed COVID-19 case in Canada. Here's what we found. CBC analyzed data on all confirmed cases of COVID-19 collected by Public Health Agency of Canada.

Canada's first known case of COVID-19 was detected eight months ago this week. As of Sept. 22, the coronavirus has been confirmed in 146,663 people across the country.

CBC News has dug deep into the data collected by the Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC) to examine how COVID-19, the illness caused by the virus, affects the young, the elderly, men and women in order to better understand what's most likely to land you in hospital — or worse.

The data contains details on 121,795 cases up to the first week of September. See the methodology at the bottom to learn more.

Here are our fingings.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/public-health-agency-of-canada-covid-19-statistics-1.5733069

From thr article.

We looked at every confirmed COVID-19 case in Canada. Here's what we found. CBC analyzed data on all confirmed cases of COVID-19 collected by Public Health Agency of Canada.

Canada's first known case of COVID-19 was detected eight months ago this week. As of Sept. 22, the coronavirus has been confirmed in 146,663 people across the country.

CBC News has dug deep into the data collected by the Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC) to examine how COVID-19, the illness caused by the virus, affects the young, the elderly, men and women in order to better understand what's most likely to land you in hospital — or worse.

The data contains details on 121,795 cases up to the first week of September. See the methodology at the bottom to learn more.

Here are our fingings.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/public-health-agency-of-canada-covid-19-statistics-1.5733069

Interesting how the other age groups have overtaken the elderly for rates of infection. The 20-29s are surging ahead.

Also found this graph interesting. How many symptoms are not signs of a fatal level of the virus, and the few that could be.

xx2.JPG

So it appears most of the "science" is based on modelling, which is not really science. It is totally dependant on the data entered and assumptions made therein.

More importantly, there is no mention on the safety of wearing multiple layers of cloth over your mouth and nose all day everyday. How can medical professionals, in good faith, prescribe a medical device without any data or science on the safety of said device.

This is a very slippery slope. I think people need to start asking questions about what effect these recommendations and mandates will have on our long term health and wellness.

I also question the need to cover our noses with the masks. I don't think it changes the efficacy in any significant way.

Interesting. Why do you think doctors, nurses, and others who work in infectious disease wards wear masks then?

My dentist always wears a mask as well. Even before the pandemic.

Last edited:
The US Covid-19 death toll is equivalent to ....

The death toll in the United States from the coronavirus pandemic has surpassed 200,000 -- the most fatalities of any country in the world. The staggering scale of that loss is hard to fathom ....

It's equivalent to suffering the effects of 109 Hurricane Katrinas.

Enduring the 9/11 attacks every day for 66 days.

More Americans have died from COVID-19 than Americans killed in battle in the five most recent wars combined.

And to put it in a population perspective, 200,000 is roughly equal to the population of Salt Lake City, Utah, or Huntsville, Alabama.

What you need to know about coronavirus on Wednesday, September 23

U.S. tops 200K coronavirus deaths, more than 20% of global total

What did Trump have to say about the desperate milestone? "It's a shame."

As the US death toll from the pandemic passed 200,000, Dr. Anthony Fauci warned Tuesday that he was worried that the high base level of infections could make it difficult to keep the virus under control in the colder months.

Fauci also said serious trouble was not "inevitable," that "it's not acceptable to not realize that we are entering into a risk period and we've got to act accordingly."

Wisconsin's Gov. Tony Evers warned Tuesday of a "new and dangerous stage" of the pandemic, where Trump held a rally last week. And there are now more than 59,000 cases of coronavirus on college campuses, after many schools decided to open despite adopting insufficient safety measures.

Trump again minimizes the coronavirus pandemic as officials warn of a fall surge - CNNPolitics

Last edited:
Just a dozen countries have recorded no cases of COVID-19. Ten of them are Pacific island nations, directly to Australia's east.

One strategy has been central to their virus-free status: each country's government quickly closed borders to international travel at the start of the pandemic.

The first to seal its frontier was the Marshall Islands. Samoa, Tonga, Kiribati, Palau, Micronesia, Tuvalu, Nauru, Vanuatu and the Solomon Islands, followed suit. Six months on, most of the world is ravaged by the coronavirus but these island nations remain virus free.

According to Dr Nicholas Thomson, a public health epidemiologist with the Australia Pacific Security College, the decisive response to shut borders has been vindicated.
The resumption of international tourism would present an enormous health threat but add little to their material living standards.

https://www.smh.com.au/world/oceani...0-of-them-in-the-pacific-20200919-p55x7u.html

Zero cases is amazing! Closing the borders was crucial. I have a friend in Timor Leste. A few cases got in before they closed their borders and anyone who came in had to quarantine for 14 days. They kept it to 27 cases with no community spread. It would have been disastrous had it taken hold. And it’s still a fragile situation, in part because of a shared border with Indonesia.

Tiny Timor-Leste declares victory over Covid-19 - UCA News

Timor-Leste’s COVID-19 Response

Last edited:
We have been seeing the pics of all of these flags on our TV News this evening.

This morning, the last of 20,000 American flags were placed around the Washington Monument facing the White House. The flags represent the almost 200,000 lives lost to the Covid-19 pandemic, a threshold the country is quickly approaching. As of this morning, there have been 199,890 Covid-19-related American deaths, according to a Johns Hopkins tracker.

xx2.JPG

Photos: There Are 20,000 Flags on the Mall to Commemorate Americans Who Died From Covid. The Images Are Moving. | Washingtonian (DC)
SEPTEMBER 22, 2020

Coronavirus: Scotland sees record 486 people test positive in a day

A total of 486 people have recorded positive coronavirus tests in Scotland in the last 24 hours, the highest number of cases in a single day, Nicola Sturgeon has said.

Speaking at the Scottish government's daily news briefing, the first minister said two more people have died after they were confirmed to have COVID-19.

A total of 2,508 fatalities of people testing positive for coronavirus have now been recorded in Scotland.

Restaurants in Massachusetts can seat 10 people per table, use bar seating starting Sept. 28
Restaurants in Massachusetts can expand seating of up to 10 people per table and utilize bar seating starting Monday, Gov. Charlie Baker announced on Wednesday.
An applause echoed throughout Mill City BBQ and Brew in Lowell when Baker announced the new regulations. Baker emphasized that bars and nightclubs will remain closed, though.

Vt. Schools See Success With Outdoor Class Amid COVID: 'I Love It Outside'
During the coronavirus pandemic, Vermont schools are holding classes outdoors more than ever.
At the Lake Champlain Waldorf School in Shelburne, third grade students were wearing hats and coats outdoors Tuesday, but their study of phonetics and parts of speech was otherwise the same as it would have been inside.
“We feel really inspired that we’re not just making the best of a bad situation, we’re actually stepping in to something new,” said Jas Darland, Lake Champlain Waldorf's head of school.

What We Know About the Merrimack College Coronavirus Outbreak
As 266 students remain in isolation, officials at Merrimack College are waiting on 150 test results to understand the breadth of the school's coronavirus outbreak.
At least 20 students have tested positive so far on the campus in Andover, Massachusetts, including 17 who live in the same dorm. Hundreds of students are now under quarantine orders in Monican residence hall.
School officials decided to issue an isolation order after 17 people tested positive in the past week, according to an email sent to students Tuesday by President Christopher Hopey.

Marlboro High School Goes Remote After 7 Students Test Positive for Coronavirus
None of the students who tested positive have been to school and the cases are not necessarily connected, according to the vice chair of the Marlboro School Committee (massachusetts)
Not even a week into the start of the school year, Marlboro High will pivot to remote learning after seven students tested positive for coronavirus.
In a sudden decision from the Marlboro School Committee, members voted Tuesday night to have high school students learn online starting Thursday. The district started school Monday under a hybrid learning model, which combines in-person and online instruction.

Gov. Baker questions decison-making on school reopenings
(Massachusetts)
Gov. Charlie Baker chided cities and towns that have abruptly abandoned plans to bring students back to the classroom because of small outbreaks of COVID-19, urging local leaders to look for trends in virus transmission and not make snap decisions based on a single party or cluster of infection.

Coronavirus Hospitalizations Rising in Massachusetts
Despite the increase in the number of patients hospitalized, officials reported no change in the 7-day weighted average positive test rate, which stayed at a record low of 0.8% in Sunday's report
The number of patients currently hospitalized for COVID-19 crept up over the weekend as state officials reported more than 900 new confirmed cases of the highly infectious virus and 41 more deaths.

Active hospitalizations rose to 364 in the Department of Public Health's Sunday data report, 26 more than in Friday's report and 51 more than the Sept. 13 update. Of those counted Sunday, 61 are in intensive care units and 34 are intubated. The rolling average number of active hospitalizations in Sunday's report was 19% higher than the record low of 302 set in late August, health officials said.

UMass Memorial stockpiling PPE for coming flu season and possible coronavirus second wave
Henry Lopez, director of supply chain logistics for UMass Memorial Medical Center, said close to 20,000-square-feet of PPE is being stored in a 51,000-square-foot distribution center off campus.
“We’re averaging about three months-plus of inventory on our PPE that would have been part of our initial COVID response,” Lopez said. “This includes things like hand sanitizer, gowns, masks, face shields, respiratory supplies, and so forth.”
When UMass went into testing and treating for the coronavirus, the medical center had a very large amount of N-95 masks, ear loop masks and gowns, Lopez said.
“Our typical inventory value pre-COVID was somewhere around $1.7 million. Right now, we have $10.5 million in our inventory, so the healthcare system has made a tremendous investment on inventory regarding any pandemic or emergency or disaster that could come up,” Lopez said. “We never ran out of PPE when it came down through the whole thing. We always had N-95s. We had the ear loop masks. We had gowns.”

Massachusetts gets Pandemic EBT funds in September for schoolchildren learning remotely
Massachusetts families with schoolchildren learning remotely might be eligible for funding to help cover the costs of meals under an extension of benefits granted by the federal government.
The state received approval from the U.S. Department of Agriculture to issue funds for September through the Pandemic Electronic Benefit Transfer program, which offers money to families whose children receive free or reduced meals at school. That includes schools that offer free or reduced lunch for all students.

Dr. Anthony Fauci, CDC director Robert Redfield and other health experts are testifying before a Senate committee on the Trump administration's coronavirus response.

Live updates: Fauci testifies in Senate

Redfield says removed CDC document about how Covid-19 spreads was "not technically reviewed"

Fauci says Sen. Rand Paul has repeatedly misconstrued facts about the pandemic

Public can trust CDC guidelines despite multiple reversals, chief says

We "need to be careful" about long-term effects Covid-19 might leave behind, Fauci warns

"More than 90% of the population remains susceptible" to Covid-19, CDC director says

FDA will not authorize vaccine that "we would not feel comfortable giving to our families," chief says

US is at "an inflection point" when it comes to testing, Adm. Brett Giroir, assistant secretary for health at the US Department of Health and Human Services said.

CDC head says young people are "major contributors to the spread of Covid-19"

"Long haulers" experience Covid-19 symptoms "weeks or months" after recovering from virus, Fauci says.

Japanese study, pretty much what was already known, but another study. This is why schools don't let students wear face shields in lieu of masks. If they wear a face shield, they need to also wear a mask.

I had bought about 10 face shields a few months ago in case we need them in some environments. I think I would wear them if I had to take an airplane, and also wear googles and mask underneath.

Plastic face shields don't stop coronavirus spread, study claims

Last edited:
Opinion | These Coronavirus Trials Don’t Answer the One Question We Need to Know

Please let me know if you can read this: it is a very interesting and actually shocking article about the vaccines in process by all three pharma companies. This article states that these vaccines will be effective only against a mild case of the virus, not moderate or severe; the article further states that there are side effects like headache, chills, etc., that will mimic a mild attack of the virus- so the question will be, will this vaccine be worth it and why aren't they manufacturing a stronger vaccine?

I think this article highlights one of the main problems with major pharma, they don’t want to do too much research into a vaccine because it may show up many issues and then they won’t be able to sell it for unknown amounts of money worldwide...it’s the same with any medicine really.

I have several concerns with the developing vaccines and the lack of testing for chn, so are we just not giving chn the vaccine, because haven’t they been proven carriers? And also whether the govt will link it to benefit payments/school attendance as they currently do for vaccinations. Will I then be forced to take a vaccine to be able to have a roof over my head, even though it could be harmful...I just don’t know...

I guess I have questions, and that article does little to answer them...

I have a question which has been on my mind for a long time- it might be a stupid question but i am going to ask anyway: if the coronavirus is in the air, why don't we get it from just breathing the air: why do we only get it from person to person transmission?

Japanese study, pretty much what was already known, but another study. This is why schools don't let students wear face shields in lieu of masks. If they wear a face shield, they need to also wear a mask.

I had bought about 10 face shields a few months ago in case we need them in some environments. I think I would wear them if I had to take an airplane, and also wear googles and mask underneath.

Plastic face shields don't stop coronavirus spread, study claims

IMO you can just look at the shield and see that the virus can get in behind it, around it and under it-- i saw a man in the grocery store with the shield and no mask: i would have liked to tell him that he wasn't protecting himself or anybody else, but he probably would have shot me LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong