Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #80

Status
Not open for further replies.
NI city centre bars, restaurants and a hotel all CLOSED because of COVID-19 outbreak

Pubs, bars, restaurants, and cafes in Northern Ireland must close by 11 p.m. The restriction follows a similar 10 p.m. curfew imposed on hospitality venues in Scotland, England and Wales last week. “No exemptions” for weddings and social events.

“No alcohol or food will be served after 10.30 p.m. and all customers must leave by 11.00 p.m."

“The intention behind the earlier closing time is that socializing later in the evening is considered to increase the risk of virus spreading because people adhere to the rules less strictly after consuming alcohol and in venues where they are used to mixing freely."

Northern Ireland has reported more than 10,949 cases and 578 deaths.

I have seen some updates on the overall situation, including globally, and have been very taken aback with a “shudder”, like when this was all first starting to go down...a complete sinking, awful feeling (not that all of this to date hasn’t already been awful and “sinking”, Kwim...).

While there has never been a single moment I wasn’t concerned, I am really worried now. Like really worried. IMO, we are heading into a really dark place, like darker than we already are. We’ve heard the doctors talking about their concern about the coexistence of both influenza and SARS-CoV-2 for a long time now, but it’s the current baseline in which we are now heading into these waters that is especially troubling...I’ve got a really bad feeling and imo the world is going to see something like we’ve never seen before in our lifetimes (this is already the case, but Kwim).

I’m making the last of my preparations as we enter this phase, and honestly scrambling to get everything in order, even though I have been preparing for this moment all summer, to the best of my ability. I think these next few days/weeks are especially imperative, before stuff really starts to go down worse than now, if that’s even possible....This feels like a re-run of when us early birds were preparing for March, getting prescriptions in order, etc.

I am behind on the latest 2 WHO conferences, frankly I’m scared to watch, but hope to be inspired by Dr. Tedros and Dr. Mike and crew, as I always am.

Going in now, wish me luck. The situation is really bad, I know from just the few snippets I’ve seen here and there, while I’ve been monitoring from a distance.

Due to exponential growth...plus schools with clusters and resulting familial transmissions, the situation with colleges, rampant mass gatherings, some refusal of wearing masks, the elimination/relaxation of control measures (example Florida)...etc, etc...the list goes on and on...thankfully therapeutics are better now, and a lot has been learned, there are some things in our favor; however, I am still anticipating a mass increase in deaths. I hope I am wrong, but sadly I’ve been right about everything to date.

This is not a drill. I repeat this is not a drill. Let us hope and pray that our healthcare systems....the widespread and trickling effects if they get overwhelmed...

Thankfully some businesses have learned to adapt as well as possible during this process, but still, the even greater potential of economic losses to come...

I am communicating in fragments I know. There is much I want to say, just trying to keep it short.

Point is, hold on to your hats is all I’ve gotta say. JMO

Last edited:
”I personally think it’s incredibly draconian that a student would get potentially expelled for going to a party,” DeSantis said. “That’s what college kids do.”
BBM

And that’s what the college kids will continue to do unless the supposed adults in the room tell them “No” and enforce strong consequences designed to be deterrents. But heaven forbid anyone should spoil their “fun.” Let them get sick. Let them die. Let them kill someone vulnerable. It is what it is. \s

I have seen some updates on the overall situation, including globally, and have been very taken aback with a “shudder”, like when this was all first starting to go down...a complete sinking, awful feeling (not that all of this to date hasn’t already been awful and “sinking”, Kwim...).

While there has never been a single moment I wasn’t concerned, I am really worried now. Like really worried. IMO, we are heading into a really dark place, like darker than we already are. We’ve heard the doctors talking about their concern about the coexistence of both influenza and SARS-CoV-2 for a long time now, but it’s the current baseline in which we are now heading into these waters that is especially troubling...I’ve got a really bad feeling and imo the world is going to see something like we’ve never seen before in our lifetimes (this is already the case, but Kwim).

I’m making the last of my preparations as we enter this phase, and honestly scrambling to get everything in order, even though I have been preparing for this moment all summer, to the best of my ability. I think these next few days/weeks are especially imperative, before stuff really starts to go down worse than now, if that’s even possible....This feels like a re-run of when us early birds were preparing for March, getting prescriptions in order, etc.

I am behind on the latest 2 WHO conferences, frankly I’m scared to watch, but hope to be inspired by Dr. Tedros and Dr. Mike and crew, as I always am.

Going in now, wish me luck. The situation is really bad, I know from just the few snippets I’ve seen here and there, while I’ve been monitoring from a distance.

Due to exponential growth...plus schools with clusters and resulting familial transmissions, the situation with colleges, rampant mass gatherings, some refusal of wearing masks, the elimination/relaxation of control measures (example Florida)...etc, etc...the list goes on and on...thankfully therapeutics are better now, and a lot has been learned, there are some things in our favor; however, I am still anticipating a mass increase in deaths. I hope I am wrong, but sadly I’ve been right about everything to date.

This is not a drill. I repeat this is not a drill. Let us hope and pray that our healthcare systems....the widespread and trickling effects if they get overwhelmed...

Thankfully some businesses have learned to adapt as well as possible during this process, but still, the even greater potential of economic losses to come...

I am communicating in fragments I know. There is much I want to say, just trying to keep it short.

Well said @margarita25. Thank you. Among the most important things we are doing to prepare is getting our high dose quadrivalent flu vaccine shot for seniors tomorrow.

BBM

And that’s what the college kids will continue to do unless the supposed adults in the room tell them “No” and enforce strong consequences designed to be deterrents. But heaven forbid anyone should spoil their “fun.” Let them get sick. Let them die. Let them kill someone vulnerable. It is what it is. \s

it is called - let's pretend there is no pandemic and we can be normal-----

Coronavirus surge: When will the fall COVID-19 spike hit? | NBC4 WCMH-TV

DALLAS (NEXSTAR) — As the world reaches 1 million coronavirus deaths and restrictions across the globe ease, many experts fear the planet is just weeks away from another COVID-19 surge.

Since the height of the coronavirus pandemic this past spring, experts have been warning about a second spike likely to hit the United States before the end of 2020. According to most experts, this “second wave” could arrive as early as October and hit its peak in December.

A highly-sourced model from University of Washington’s Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation predicts a death toll around 1,200 on Election Day — which would be dramatically higher than the 750 we’re seeing now.

Study: 6 COVID-19 symptom clusters to watch for | WOODTV.com

A new study of COVID-19 from researchers at London’s King’s College found there are six distinct types of the virus with different symptom groups. The data was uncovered using a tracking app following 1,600 patients in the U.K. and United States during March and April.

The researchers behind the study hope the data helps doctors treat people and more accurately predict the type of medical care they might need.

Here are the six clusters of symptoms outlined in the study, according to CBS News:

1. Flu-like with no fever: Headache, loss of smell, muscle pains, cough, sore throat, chest pain, no fever.
  2. Flu-like with fever: Headache, loss of smell, cough, sore throat, hoarseness, fever, loss of appetite.
  3. Gastrointestinal: Headache, loss of smell, loss of appetite, diarrhea, sore throat, chest pain, no cough.
  4. Severe Level 1, fatigue: Headache, loss of smell, cough, fever, hoarseness, chest pain, fatigue.
  5. Severe Level 2, confusion: Headache, loss of smell, loss of appetite, cough, fever, hoarseness, sore throat, chest pain, fatigue, confusion, muscle pain.
  6. Severe Level 3, abdominal and respiratory: Headache, loss of smell, loss of appetite, cough, fever, hoarseness, sore throat, chest pain, fatigue, confusion, muscle pain, shortness of breath, diarrhea, abdominal pain.

How is FL accounting for its very high per capita rates in adults? I understand that hardly any kids are tested - so how would anyone know if they are the vector?

Also, I can't find much about contact tracing in FL - so again, how would anyone know? FL is definitely on the short list of places with lots of active cases.

Most FL counties are not submitting active case data to the national database (which becomes international of course).

Florida Coronavirus: 701,302 Cases and 14,043 Deaths (COVID-19 ) - Worldometer

Basically, your questions are all the truth. I think I posted, because I was surprised. The data and the story are much bigger.

It is pretty well know how DeSantis is preventing real statistics to be collected, so we shall watch as we get through October.

September 9, 2020 at 8:12 p.m. EDT

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. — One month into the forced reopening of Florida's schools, dozens of classrooms — along with some entire schools — have been temporarily shuttered because of coronavirus outbreaks, and infections among school-age children have jumped 34 percent. But parents in many parts of the state don't know if outbreaks of the virus are related to their own schools because the state ordered some counties to keep health data secret.

Volunteers across Florida have set up their own school-related coronavirus dashboards, and one school district is using Facebook after the county health department was told to stop releasing information about cases tied to local schools.

Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) has pushed aggressively for schools to offer in-person classes, even when Florida was the hot spot of the nation, and threatened to withhold funding if districts did not allow students into classrooms by Aug. 31. In the state guidelines for reopening schools, officials did not recommend that coronavirus cases be disclosed school by school. In fact, the DeSantis administration ordered some districts to stop releasing school specific coronavirus information, citing privacy issues.

With the dearth of reliable school-specific information on coronavirus cases, teachers and parents are trying to fill in the gap. Anonymous Twitter accounts have sprung up since school began, started by Florida teachers who want to report what’s happening in their schools but who say they are afraid of being fired if they do so publicly.

“Transparency is a huge issue,” said Andrew Spar, president of the Florida Education Association, which represents 150,000 teachers and school staff and has sued the DeSantis administration over opening schools too soon. “Parents like myself who have kids in the classroom are wondering, are they safe? And we want answers from the governor, but instead he’s quashing information.”

A new study of COVID-19 from researchers at London’s King’s College found there are six distinct types of the virus with different symptom groups. The data was uncovered using a tracking app following 1,600 patients in the U.K. and United States during March and April.

The researchers behind the study hope the data helps doctors treat people and more accurately predict the type of medical care they might need.

Here are the six clusters of symptoms outlined in the study, according to CBS News:

1. Flu-like with no fever: Headache, loss of smell, muscle pains, cough, sore throat, chest pain, no fever.
  2. Flu-like with fever: Headache, loss of smell, cough, sore throat, hoarseness, fever, loss of appetite.
  3. Gastrointestinal: Headache, loss of smell, loss of appetite, diarrhea, sore throat, chest pain, no cough.
  4. Severe Level 1, fatigue: Headache, loss of smell, cough, fever, hoarseness, chest pain, fatigue.
  5. Severe Level 2, confusion: Headache, loss of smell, loss of appetite, cough, fever, hoarseness, sore throat, chest pain, fatigue, confusion, muscle pain.
  6. Severe Level 3, abdominal and respiratory: Headache, loss of smell, loss of appetite, cough, fever, hoarseness, sore throat, chest pain, fatigue, confusion, muscle pain, shortness of breath, diarrhea, abdominal pain.

A local primary school to me has had 5 or 6 child cases, and sent a letter advising parents that almost all of those children had sore throats and tummy aches before being struck down properly with Covid.

"Frieden admits the CDC has stumbled at times, especially early in the pandemic.

The first test kits distributed to states were faulty, delaying the roll-out of testing.

"They've definitely made some mistakes," he says. "The testing in particular didn't go well."

The agency has also sent out conflicting messages about who should be tested and how the virus is spreading.

Twice in that last month, it has released and then removed new guideline from its website.

Communication, Frieden says, has been a major challenge for the agency over the last seven months.

In past outbreaks, like the H1N1 flu, the CDC held weekly, sometimes daily, press briefings explaining the agency's evolving response.

After holding several media briefings in early March, the agency abruptly stopped.

Dr. Frieden says, the CDC has been largely silenced from communicating with Americans by an administration, he says, is eager to move on from this virus.

"It's not going to go away on its own," Dr. Frieden says. "Even if we have a vaccine, there is no fairytale ending to this pandemic.”

This sounds like CDC made a lot of mistakes. Especially early on when it mattered.
hmmm. Did you really read the article??

I know you have some selective quotes above here, but the real message we all know and get is the much more important information.

So, i will share for you. The title of the article is helpful to better explain the whole article..
Former CDC head says Atlanta-based agency is being stymied and silenced

Maybe because you sit in the UK, you are lucky, and don't haveto constantly be confused with misinformation from your leaders. It is not only the CDC that has been turned into puppetry....
I hope this better helps you understand the article, as well as the dilemma so many of us here live with.... when we used to have such value of our CDC... I am not sure what the equivalent is in the UK? Are you proud of your department that play this role there? If so, I think you are lucky to not have to experience "damaged goods" when it did not have to be like this.

"This really stems from not following the science, not having an organized systematic response, and not communicating effectively with Americans," Frieden says.

Still, he says, the fault is not the CDC's.

"I feel like blaming the CDC for their failures is like blaming someone who has been tied up and encased in cement for failing to swim," Dr. Frieden says. "It's not that the CDC and public health hasn't succeeded, it's that they haven't been allowed to play the role that they usually play, keeping Americans safe."

Last edited:

That is really good and important information: thanks for sharing it with us.

Florida, of course. And, oh DeSantis, that last paragraph :(

Party With More Than 1,000 People Near Florida State University Broken Up By Police Helicopter

Police in Tallahassee, Florida, said they broke up a massive party over the weekend, involving a gathering of more than 1,000 people near Florida State University, where more than 1,400 students have already tested positive for coronavirus, just a few weeks into the fall semester.

University president John Thrasher sent out a letter “issuing an urgent call to action” on Sept. 18, warning that “students who endanger the community with actions such as hosting or attending a large party or gathering will be subject to suspension.” “Moreover, from this point forward, for any student who tests positive and is ordered to isolate: Socializing outside of your residence, working out at the Leach Center or engaging in activities such as going to parties may result in your suspension from Florida State University for a minimum of one academic semester,” Thrasher said.

The new penalties have not sat well with Gov. Ron DeSantis, who recently announced all capacity restrictions for bars and restaurants in Florida were being lifted. DeSantis said he may issue a college students’ “bill of rights,” which would prohibit universities from taking action against students who might attend parties. “I personally think it’s incredibly draconian that a student would get potentially expelled for going to a party,” DeSantis said. “That’s what college kids do.”

He's deliberately sacrificing his own people. I wonder how that will work out for him. Do the people of Florida care at all?

Well said @margarita25. Thank you. Among the most important things we are doing to prepare is getting our high dose quadrivalent flu vaccine shot for seniors tomorrow.

DH and I got ours on August 31, the earliest we have ever done that. I'm a bit concerned that we did it too soon but we were getting anxious and our friends were getting their shots. And we had a notice on "MyChart" from our health care system to get flu shots.

Of course the efficacy of flu shots vary each year in how protective they are; I hope this year's shot will be a good one!

I could be wrong, but I feel the opposite is happening. Much of what I have been reading is that the virus appears to becoming more contagious, but LESS LETHAL.

And I feel like there will be several effective Vaccines very soon, that will help tremendously.

On top of that, we are much better at treating it than we were at the start. And it is the younger population that has been passing it around to each other.

Although there have been thousands of new cases in colleges , there have been very few deaths among students.

So I do not believe we are heading towards massive death surges, but I could be wrong.

Falling COVID-19 viral loads may explain lower rates of ICU use, deaths
Falling COVID-19 viral loads may explain lower rates of ICU use, deaths
Sep 24, 2020
The findings of two studies presented at this week's virtual European Society of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases (ESCMID) Conference on Coronavirus Disease suggest that patients' loads of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, declined as the pandemic progressed, which may help explain falling rates of coronavirus-related intensive care unit (ICU) use and deaths.

Covid-19 becomes more contagious and less lethal

A team of scientists from the Houston Methodist Hospital recently performed the analysis of the molecular structure of the covid-19 virus and obtained as a result in the samples that the coronavirus strain suffered a mutation that makes it more contagious.

The president of Pathology and Genomic Medicine at the Jim Musser Center explained that "this mutation helps the virus to spread faster."

To carry out the research, more than 5.000 covid-19 genomes were analyzed, which were recovered from the first wave of the pandemic in the city of Houston and the most recent outbreak of infections that is still ongoing.

The researchers specify in the study that when evaluating patients infected with the mutated strain, they presented a higher viral load; however, "no evidence was found" that this change in structure made the virus more lethal.

Musser commented that "the single mutation in the spike protein results in a greater amount of virus in the upper respiratory tract and that probably helps it spread faster, but does not cause a worse disease or invade better," he said. the specialist.

Covid-19 is becoming less deadly in Europe but we don't know why

HEALTH 24 August 2020

It is becoming increasingly clear that people are less likely to die if they get covid-19 now compared with earlier in the pandemic, at least in Europe, but the reasons why are still shrouded in uncertainty.

One UK doctor has said that the coronavirus was “getting a little bit less angry”, while an infectious disease consultant at the National University of Singapore claimed that a mutated version of the coronavirus, D614G, is making the illness less deadly.

In England, the proportion of people infected by the coronavirus who later died was certainly lower in early August than it was in late June. Over the period, this infection fatality rate (IFR) dropped by between 55 and 80 per cent, depending on which data set was used, found Jason Oke at the University of Oxford and his colleagues.

“This doesn’t seem to be the same disease or as lethal as it was earlier on when we saw huge numbers of people dying,” he says. For example, the week beginning 17 August saw 95 people die and just over 7000 cases across the UK. In the first week of April, 7164 died and nearly 40,000 tested positive.

Dividing deaths by cases gives a crude case fatality rate of around 1 per cent in August, compared with nearly 18 per cent in April. These figures don’t represent the true IFRs at these times, both because deaths lag behind infections by a few weeks, and because testing regimes have changed over time, but are indicative of a shift in the IFR. Oke and his colleagues used a more sophisticated method to estimate the change in IFR.

The situation isn’t unique to England and the rest of the UK, says Oke, who has found the same trend repeated across Europe.

Also:
Johnson & Johnson Vaccine Trial Enters Phase 3

Johnson & Johnson’s potential coronavirus vaccine begins Phase 3 trials in the US today. The trial will include up to 60,000 adult participants at nearly 215 sites. The first participants will receive doses on Wednesday. Johnson & Johnson becomes the fouth company to begin phase 3 testing for a COVID-19 vaccine in the US – joining Moderna, Pfizer/BioNTech and AstraZeneca.

Last edited:
I could be wrong, but I feel the opposite is happening. Much of what I have been reading is that the virus appears to becoming more contagious, but LESS LETHAL.

And I feel like there will be several effective Vaccines very soon, that will help tremendously.

On top of that, we are much better at treating it than we were at the start. And it is the younger population that has been passing it around to each other.

Although there have been thousands of new cases in colleges , there have been very few deaths among students.

So I do not believe we are heading towards massive death surges, but I could be wrong.

A team of scientists from the Houston Methodist Hospital recently performed the analysis of the molecular structure of the covid-19 virus and obtained as a result in the samples that the coronavirus strain suffered a mutation that makes it more contagious.

The president of Pathology and Genomic Medicine at the Jim Musser Center explained that "this mutation helps the virus to spread faster."

To carry out the research, more than 5.000 covid-19 genomes were analyzed, which were recovered from the first wave of the pandemic in the city of Houston and the most recent outbreak of infections that is still ongoing.

The researchers specify in the study that when evaluating patients infected with the mutated strain, they presented a higher viral load; however, "no evidence was found" that this change in structure made the virus more lethal.

Musser commented that "the single mutation in the spike protein results in a greater amount of virus in the upper respiratory tract and that probably helps it spread faster, but does not cause a worse disease or invade better," he said. the specialist.

HEALTH 24 August 2020

It is becoming increasingly clear that people are less likely to die if they get covid-19 now compared with earlier in the pandemic, at least in Europe, but the reasons why are still shrouded in uncertainty.

One UK doctor has said that the coronavirus was “getting a little bit less angry”, while an infectious disease consultant at the National University of Singapore claimed that a mutated version of the coronavirus, D614G, is making the illness less deadly.

In England, the proportion of people infected by the coronavirus who later died was certainly lower in early August than it was in late June. Over the period, this infection fatality rate (IFR) dropped by between 55 and 80 per cent, depending on which data set was used, found Jason Oke at the University of Oxford and his colleagues.

“This doesn’t seem to be the same disease or as lethal as it was earlier on when we saw huge numbers of people dying,” he says. For example, the week beginning 17 August saw 95 people die and just over 7000 cases across the UK. In the first week of April, 7164 died and nearly 40,000 tested positive.

Dividing deaths by cases gives a crude case fatality rate of around 1 per cent in August, compared with nearly 18 per cent in April. These figures don’t represent the true IFRs at these times, both because deaths lag behind infections by a few weeks, and because testing regimes have changed over time, but are indicative of a shift in the IFR. Oke and his colleagues used a more sophisticated method to estimate the change in IFR.

The situation isn’t unique to England and the rest of the UK, says Oke, who has found the same trend repeated across Europe.

Also:
Johnson & Johnson Vaccine Trial Enters Phase 3

Johnson & Johnson’s potential coronavirus vaccine begins Phase 3 trials in the US today. The trial will include up to 60,000 adult participants at nearly 215 sites. The first participants will receive doses on Wednesday. Johnson & Johnson becomes the fouth company to begin phase 3 testing for a COVID-19 vaccine in the US – joining Moderna, Pfizer/BioNTech and AstraZeneca.

I have several points to respond to this, but just going to bed now after the night shift. Marking to respond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member