Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #82

Discussion in 'Coronavirus - Covid-19' started by Amonet, Jan 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tresir2012

tresir2012 Former Member

Maybe they should postpone it for a week till they know for certain VP is negative or do it virtually.
    Yes, that was the point of the posts.

2. Reasonable & Just

Reasonable & Just United We Stand

He was remarkable. But here are actual photos of crowds at his funeral.

John Lewis' funeral features overwhelming calls to vote

I watched the coverage. Masks galore. Obviously distancing & masks would be better. But masks galore.

3. SouthAussie

SouthAussie Where sunbeams shine

Me, too. That's what I meant. Apologies if I did not make that point clearly. :)

4. tresir2012

tresir2012 Former Member

I thought you were saying it was a fuss. If there is a known risk one of them is asymptomatic or positive, it shouldn't take place at all but instead go ahead virtually. It's not just about the two participants but both sets of entourage and the reporting employees to consider. MOO.

5. Reasonable & Just

Reasonable & Just United We Stand

John Lewis' funeral had masks galore, as you can see in the top photo. The photo shown below was from a pre-Covid event. ETA - identified by another poster as 2015 March on Selma.

But yes, large, maskless funerals are definitely super-spreader events like the Rose Garden Germ-a-thon. NY's Rockland County is in crisis right now (compared to other NY areas), and it is due to religious groups wanting to gather in large numbers for things like funerals - without masks. With masks is another story - obviously you want to distance too, but it's less likely to be super-spreader. Certain Covid-minimizing media outlets have fanned the flames, and the result is contentious relationships between government and these groups.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2020
    beatrixpotter, Lilibet, anneg and 5 others like this.
  6. tresir2012

tresir2012 Former Member

They immediately shut down, masked up and contact traced and tested right? They had the original SARS epidemic experience so were way better prepared definitely. It is still no excuse though for WHO and governments deliberately giving out false mask info all the way thru till June. So for two months and more people were still flying in planes and travelling in cramped railway and underground carriages and taking it home to others.

7. nhmemorymaker

nhmemorymaker Well-Known Member

Reinfection is one of the huge unknowns. Small in numbers, for sure, but the seemingly worse symptoms the second time around make this downright frightening.
    The finding, and similar cases, has refocused attention on a handful of questions that scientists are struggling to answer. What does protective immunity look like? How long does it last? Do some patients fail to mount the right response? Does the virus damage the immune system? And are reinfected people infectious to others?

Danny Altmann, professor of immunology at Imperial college in London, guesses that those who recover from Covid-19 will have perhaps 90% protection for a “fair while”. But how long is that? “I would bet my house on you being safe for possibly a year but not much longer,” he said.

Good article. Thanks for posting....

8. nhmemorymaker

It is amazing how even the experts are unlearning and relearning as we continue to wade through this pandemic!
    Makes me so mad when covid deniers make claims of disinformation regarding early messages about masks.
    The whole medical community had to change their tune, that had been the advice on masks for decades!

I remember when we were just starting to learn how this was NOT primarily a lung issue, and how the heart was harmed??
    Cytokine and Bradykinin Storm wars??

We still just have so much to learn, don't we.

https://www.medpagetoday.com/infectiousdisease/covid19/88560

9. nhmemorymaker

In the back recesses of my mind... I do wonder if Katie Miller, or the Supreme Court nominee, who also had covid will be tested as vigorously as others should be.

10. JerseyGirl

JerseyGirl Forum Coordinator Staff Member Forum Coordinators

Fauci predicts US could have 300k-400k COVID-19 deaths

Dr. Anthony Fauci offered the grim prediction while speaking at a virtual event yesterday.

"The models tell us that if we do not do the kinds of things that we're talking about in the cold of the fall and the winter, we could have from 300,000 to 400,000 deaths," Fauci said. "That would be just so tragic if that happens."

11. Bravo

Bravo Well-Known Member

You were clear. I was jumping off post.

LaborDayRN, Lilibet, Midgie2 and 3 others like this.
  12. JaneEyre

JaneEyre Well-Known Member

Photo ornaments work nicely for remembrance.

13. JerseyGirl

Analysis shows cases rising in 32 US states and Puerto Rico

The analysis also found increases in the daily positivity rate of COVID-19 tests in 25 states plus Washington, D.C., increases in COVID-19 hospitalizations in 36 states and increases in daily COVID-19 death tolls in 19 states.

Six states -- Kansas, Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, Wisconsin and Wyoming -- hit a record number of current COVID-19 hospitalizations in a day.

14. dixiegirl1035

dixiegirl1035 Well-Known Member

Yes, many folks are still flying in planes and traveling and taking it home to others in the US and in other places after all these months.

15. GRT

GRT Well-Known Member

That's correct--flights have not stopped and neither have deliveries by truck drivers, healthcare workers, people returning to their own countries, and even people who have an "essential" reason to cross. Closing the border sounds good on paper, but it's far from closed. JMOO

LadyL, cass523, Midgie2 and 4 others like this.
  16. dixiegirl1035

dixiegirl1035 Well-Known Member

Agree. But we have to continue to try to educate those that just do not understand what *learning* novel things are. And how things change and how we have to adapt.

<modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2020
    LaborDayRN, Lilibet, cass523 and 5 others like this.
  17. GRT

GRT Well-Known Member

I live in a community where there's a large pharmaceutical manufacturing facility that is being used to manufacture drugs to treat covid among other diseases and conditions. Big wigs, and maybe little wigs, are flying in from all over the nation on a weekly basis, and staying in our hotels, eating in our restaurants, etc. Even though my county has some of the lowest infection rates, that's concerning. I'm sure they could do a lot of their meetings on Zoom.

18. weepingangel

weepingangel Well-Known Member

Uh oh
    Patriots’ Stephon Gilmore tests positive for COVID-19
    New England Patriots star cornerback Stephon Gilmore has tested positive for COVID-19, according to Tom Pelissero of NFL Network.
    Gilmore, the reigning NFL Defensive Player of the Year, joins quarterback Cam Newton and practice squad defensive lineman Bill Murray on the team’s Reserved/COVID-19 list.

(Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #81)

Also / no new info
    Ex-N.J. Gov. Chris Christie remains hospitalized for COVID-19
    Christie’s current condition is not known. Hospital officials declined comment Tuesday.

19. JerseyGirl

A Star-Ledger columnist spoke on the phone with Christie on Monday, wrote that Christie sounded “raspy but didn’t cough once” during their 10-minute phone call, and that Christie would not discuss his condition.

Ex-N.J. Gov. Chris Christie remains hospitalized for COVID-19

Christie said the virus is scary and that he's a prime target given his weight and a history of asthma.

The former governor's son said his father remains in a COVID isolation room at the hospital.

Report: Chris Christie ‘Knocked Back,' ‘Not Knocked Down'

LaborDayRN, GRT, Lilibet and 12 others like this.
  20. SouthAussie

SouthAussie Where sunbeams shine

The thing is, GRT, those essential workers are careful. We have them, too. Carefully making state border crossings (in my country), stopping at the checkpoints, having their exemptions ready, Aussies repatriating from overseas going into 14 day quarantine when they arrive ... having a minimum of 2 covid tests while in quarantine (Day One and Day Twelve).

I don't believe that is happening everywhere, is it?
    When my US friend returned to the US in June, he flew right in. No quarantine required, crowded planes once he hit US soil, no covid testing required.

The borders in a closed border place are not so much closed as very tightly monitored, and crossing is only allowed for certain exempt persons.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.