Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #84

Discussion in 'Coronavirus - Covid-19' started by Amonet, Jan 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tresir2012

tresir2012 Former Member

Language not literacy appears to have been the problem in the example you have given. And we have seen that the conditions people live and work have been the cause - care homes, factories, prisons, universities, schools, hospitals, jails, pubs, to name a few.

2. 10ofRods

10ofRods Verified Anthropologist

Do you think those sources are enough to give the average person the knowledge they need to prevent a bad case of CoVid?

We have no national broadcast TV in the US any longer. No public television. No PSA's. All over the US and the UK, profs report that students do not know what an "aerosol" might be, nor do they understand what micron is or how to assess the effectiveness of masking materials. Most don't know what PPE is. Still, it seems that the UK's college students possess a greater amount of scientific literacy than those of the US.

That doesn't keep the UK profs from worrying about declining levels of scientific literacy.

https://www.researchgate.net/public...ntific_literacy_seriously_as_a_curriculum_aim

US profs know they have a problem and have had a problem since the 1980's...

3. 10ofRods

Believe it or not, language and literacy are closely related. The first is a human universal, the second is not and is harder to acquire.

But they are very much interrelated.

You seem to think that people randomly end up in jobs, with no relationship to their education. That isn't true. Care home workers both in the UK and the US are among the least educated "paraprofessionals." California has actual requirements for the mainstay of staffing in care homes (must be an LVN - which means 18 units biomedical work at a community college).

RN's are in short supply here and do not work in care homes. There's a relationship here. The people who run care homes are not Ph.D.'s in nursing, nor even B.A.'s in nursing. They are often people with only the barest form of scientific literacy. IMO.

4. 24Roses

24Roses Well-Known Member

Iowa numbers today: As of 10:00-11:00 a.m., we had 1,595 new confirmed cases for a total of 106,147 confirmed cases of which 81,472 had recovered (+986). 5 more had passed away for a total of 1,526. 55 were hospitalized in the last 24 hrs. for a total of 461 (a decrease of 7. There are 25,661 active positive cases. Oct. 17: 1,595 new cases, 986 recoveries, and 5 deaths
    Iowa COVID-19 Information

5. CSIDreamer

CSIDreamer Well-Known Member

Interpreters seem to speak to a language barrier, not whether someone is illiterate. JMO.

6. SouthAussie

SouthAussie Well-Known Member

These people did not understand what 'quarantine' meant. And they were required to quarantine. They understood the written language and little pictures about washing hands and staying apart.

Unless you have lived closely among these other cultures, I don't expect some people to understand or accept what I am trying to get across.

So at this point in time, I am going to stop trying to explain. :)

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
  7. CSIDreamer

CSIDreamer Well-Known Member

Huh. I wonder if obese people are health illiterate? That's thought provoking. If I recall, diabetes is the 2nd highest comorbidity. I'm kind of taken aback by this train of thought I'm having. JMO

Sundog likes this.
  8. TootsieFootsie

TootsieFootsie Well-Known Member

I don't know who the person is but I like the ad.

roche.analisa and SouthAussie like this.
  9. tresir2012

tresir2012 Former Member

The virus doesn't know this though. It just targets people living and working in close proximity to each other.

10. SouthAussie

You don't know Hamish? He is a comedian here. Part of the old Hamish and Andy team (morning radio personalities also).

Hamish & Andy

11. tresir2012

tresir2012 Former Member

If literacy or even health literacy were a feature in this pandemic then we would not have such a high number of hospital workers and patients catching it. They would be the most informed group one would think. Then University students would also be the least likely to get it. But that is not happening either. And people often end up in jobs based on their circumstances eg. Not having a Visa or a work permit for instance, and not based on literacy or education. Or just wanting a holiday job.

12. tresir2012

tresir2012 Former Member

Smokers and drinkers and anyone with a health condition like type 2 diabetes or dementia are probably as well then.

13. TootsieFootsie

TootsieFootsie Well-Known Member

Thanks South! I have heard the name, just had no idea what he looked like.

14. SouthAussie

This article may interest you.

xx2.JPG

What we found was sobering yet not surprising. Spikes in Covid-19 cases occurred in seven of the 14 cities and townships where these rallies were held: Tulsa; Phoenix; Old Forge, Penn.; Bemidji, Minn.; Mankato, Minn.; Oshkosh, Wis.; and Weston, Wis.

Campaign Rallies Leave a Trail of Community Outbreaks

roche.analisa, LeeAnnB, MsArk and 7 others like this.
  15. LadyL

LadyL Well-Known Member

he had heart issues

16. LadyL

LadyL Well-Known Member

[bbm]

very disturbing

17. mickey2942

mickey2942 Well-Known Member

Literacy in the United States - Wikipedia

I have often felt that the literacy rate in the United States is over estimated. Honestly, I believe that over 50% of the population in the United States has basic functional literacy.

18. mickey2942

mickey2942 Well-Known Member

Has anyone been working from home during Covid? I am looking at tax deductions for working from home, seems complicated to me. Maybe they will simplify it for next year, like a "Standard home office" deduction. That includes internet, cell phone, peripherals. Not just square feet for office.

roche.analisa, LeeAnnB, Suglo and 5 others like this.
  19. SouthAussie

I don't feel that it is unkind to try to explain the lack of mask wearing and ignoring of other covid guidelines as people being scientifically/medically/culturally illiterate. I think it is giving them benefit of doubt ... which is a kind thing to do.

Because we are now 7 months in to this thing, with requirements/guidelines having clearly been (and being) explained over and over and over by learned medical experts and learned leaders.

Unless there is an ongoing issue with oppositional defiance perhaps?

IMO

20. 10ofRods

Official number is that 14% are functionally illiterate. That means below 6th grade level; person struggles to remember one sentence while attempting to follow the next sentence. 6th graders are supposed to be able to read and pull out the main conclusions/ideas of a paragraph.

But I agree with you that it's actually higher than that. Of course, my bias is that I mostly teach young adults. I've taught in more places than just California, and it was not any different (W. Texas, NM, Washington state). My good friend, who studies this issue, says same for her work in Massachusetts (where it's clearly better than in NM) and in Illinois.

What I notice is reading fatigue. If I put too many questions on a test (say...more than 10-12?), the ability to answer correctly takes a dive at about the 8th question. So, sustained reading is difficult for many people. That's why so many people read the headline and think it truly summarizes an article - but...well...it's rarely that simple.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.