Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #85

Discussion in 'Coronavirus - Covid-19' started by Amonet, Jan 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SouthAussie

SouthAussie Where sunbeams shine

Did you see that the lawsuit against the company that started this ongoing nationwide crisis was finally settled a few days ago? Criminal investigation still ongoing.

BBM

A long-running lawsuit against a pharmaceutical company accused of fuelling the US opioid addiction crisis was settled this week when Purdue Pharma agreed to pay out $8.3 billion, the largest ever such settlement. The firm admitted to violating anti-kickback laws, conspiring to defraud the US and to facilitating the dispensing of medication without a legitimate medical purpose.

In the 1990s, US doctors started prescribing them more liberally, spurred in part by Purdue’s marketing of a new opioid OxyContin, which the firm claimed rarely caused dependence. The firm promoted the product heavily to some doctors with free trips and paid speaking engagements.

But OxyContin can lead to addiction, and some users sought ever-increasing doses.

Deaths caused by opioid overdoses climbed from about 9000 a year in 2000 to 47,000 a year in 2017, although such fatalities may now be plateauing.

The coronavirus pandemic may make matters worse, as many areas have loosened rules about doctors seeing patients face-to-face before prescribing opioids due to the need for social distancing.

Record $8 billion payout won’t turn back the clock on US opioid crisis

cass523, Mo Thuairim, kimpage and 5 others like this.

2. Trino

Trino Well-Known Member

I thought in my lifetime I had also seen it all and done a lot of it, but COVID-19 has shown me I have not. What mostly I have not seen is the comments and behaviors of my fellow Americans.

3. Tigerlily75

Tigerlily75 Well-Known Member

insanity, Mo Thuairim, LadyL and 21 others like this.
  4. Midgie2

Midgie2 Well-Known Member

Hi all!
    Haven’t posted in awhile, but I’ve been keeping up on reading.
    Up until now, we haven’t known of any positive cases in our circle of friend or family.
    Yesterday we learned that our nieces husband tested positive for Covid. He’s a guard at the state prison. He’s having some mild symptoms for now. They are a 30 something family with 2 small children. Quarantine the household now, getting tests for the Mom and two little ones tomorrow.
    Our fear is that they haven’t been careful, with people going from house to house, including MIL. and MIL is medically fragile (IMO). I am so hoping that she hasn’t been exposed. (We live approx. 3 hours away).
    Anyway, I hope everyone here is having a good day and staying safe :)

5. dixiegirl1035

dixiegirl1035 Well-Known Member

WOW! Congratulations are in order with a virtual celebration.

6. Cool Cats

Cool Cats Leave the DRAMA take the cannoli

Made into party politics ...:eek: ... my friend.

Guess we all need to do the best for ourselves and families ... :);) ... Stay true to yourself and your good judgement.

Opinion only.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
    Mo Thuairim, angelainwi, GRT and 13 others like this.
  7. Tigerlily75

Tigerlily75 Well-Known Member

In other news, retail and hospitality are due to reopen here in Melbourne - with guidelines - next week, if not sooner. I sooo can’t wait, shopping online for months has its drawbacks, like trying to stuff your pillows into new pillowcases only to wonder why they won’t fit. Who knew there was such a thing as “toddler pillowcases”??

Anyway, the federal government gave us an early tax cut, I’m none too happy (yes I’m unhappy about a tax cut lol) because I can think of a million things that money could have gone to, but nonetheless I’m going to do my part and spend it alllll on hospitality. Luckily I live in the foodie capital and the choices are endless!

I know this covid thing is a rollercoaster, but today at least - things are looking up!

8. SouthAussie

xx2.JPG
    Facebook message from Santa reassures kids Xmas isn’t cancelled due to Covid

"If there are any kids watching, I know that Santa will not be prevented from delivering your presents on Christmas Eve. Santa is a key worker and he's got lots of magic powers that make him safe to do that. So if he's having to do appearances by Zoom that is to keep you safe, it's not that Santa's at any risk. Santa will be delivering presents across the world as normal."

Coronavirus: 'Don't worry, kids - Santa is a key worker,' says Nicola Sturgeon

LadyL, GRT, TootsieFootsie and 13 others like this.
  9. SouthAussie

10. RosalindaA

RosalindaA Well-Known Member

Hi Dixiegirl, I am hoping that the article is referring to the Phase III clinical trials involving 20,000 volunteers in the UK, Brazil, Japan, South Africa and the US. The latest article on the Oxford website Global clinical trials of COVID-19 vaccine resume | University of Oxford
    The vaccine would have to be well-proven, safe and effective before NHS staff would be offered it. And of course some people will be uncomfortable taking a new vaccine so they will want to evaluate it for themselves by reading the studies themselves.
    Dr Fauci, in an interview with the BBC Dr Fauci: Vaccine result could come by December also refers to the fact that he believes that we will know by December this year whether certain vaccines will be safe and effective.
    Also there is an article in the Huffington Post about Dr. Fauci's interview with the BBC HuffPost is now a part of Verizon Media

I have to say I think this doctor deserves a medal for patience and perseverance, in view of the environment he has had to function in. He must despair at times, but he doesn't show it, just keeps going.

11. LaborDayRN

LaborDayRN Masks Are Critical Not Political

Amen my friend!

kimpage, cass523, 10ofRods and 3 others like this.
  12. Trino

Trino Well-Known Member

And may we be here to see it pass.

13. musicaljoke

musicaljoke Well-Known Member

Oh that is truly wonderful. Would you spread some of those good vibes around the world? We need this good news everywhere.

LaborDayRN, GRT, Tigerlily75 and 9 others like this.
  14. Spider92

Spider92 Well-Known Member

15. Steelhead

Steelhead Well-Known Member

I find it interesting that we are focusing so much on masks but wonder why there is pretty much nil out there regarding eye protection. I'm hearing stories of people who are testing positive even though they're doing everything they're supposed to. Is it getting in their eyes? The virus loves the eyes, right? Yet I don't see anything regarding protecting our eyes as part of the protocol. Even on the main COVID page at CDC, it just says "Wear a mask" and shows pics of people with masks with no eye protection. If I am in a room with someone with covid for an extended period, I could be wearing an N95 mask but still get it in my eyes just as easily as my nose, right?

16. musicaljoke

musicaljoke Well-Known Member

Awh, that's sweet. However, I suspect Santa is cancelled in millions of homes this year. I hope our communities can reach out to those in need to make sure Santa can find every kid.

17. Yesiamapirate

Yesiamapirate Well-Known Member

Mo Thuairim, LaborDayRN, GRT and 9 others like this.
  18. 10ofRods

10ofRods Verified Anthropologist

19. ilovewings

ilovewings Well-Known Member

Hello: well, here we are: my husband still refuses to go to the hospital or call a physician: he will get tested tomorrow morning- Frankly, I am a nervous wreck- the virus is so unpredictable. One minute you are fine, the next you are struggling to breathe- I am of course hoping he doesn't have Covid but I have never known him to have a temperature in 30 years since I have known him. And I am kinda po'd that he doesn't care enough about me to take care of this so i don't get it, no matter what it is -hopefully not Covid----We are both in our 70's--- we had a Zoom family discussion tonight and his son was yelling at him about not going to the ER. Thanks for caring.

20. dixiegirl1035

dixiegirl1035 Well-Known Member

Dr. Seheult talked about that long ago. he spoke of ACE2 receptors in eyes, and BEN from China always wore swim goggles for eye protection in Wuhan back in January/February.. I'll look tomorrow as I really need to get off this computer and eat dinner (it's 9:46!) Here is one quick google results... I haven't even read before posting this.

ACE2 receptors for SARS-CoV-2 in human eye

Spreading SARS-CoV-2 through ocular fluids - CEBM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.