Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #85

Discussion in 'Coronavirus - Covid-19' started by Amonet, Jan 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. musicaljoke

musicaljoke Well-Known Member

Oh my! I find that so hard to comprehend. I would much prefer to close things down in regions where there is uncontrolled community spread, wait it out, get the numbers down, and then reopen when the community spread is resolved. I'd hate to die of something that is preventable by such a simple technic as just people distancing from one another for a period of time.

Or maybe I misunderstood and you were just being sarcastic.

LeeAnnB, Mo Thuairim, kimpage and 5 others like this.

2. dixiegirl1035

dixiegirl1035 Well-Known Member

Dr. Campbell is speaking to lockdowns in France and Germany re your comments @GordianKnot re the circuit breakers going on.

Posted just a couple of hours ago.

Bailey38, anneg, LaborDayRN and 4 others like this.
  3. musicaljoke

musicaljoke Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's too late for more than a million people.

4. Tillicum

Tillicum Well-Known Member

Personally I don't care what color, political leaning or sports team they're wearing if they're in a store with me. I'm just grateful for their consideration.

5. BayouBelle_LA

BayouBelle_LA Well-Known Member

I guess it just goes with the territory.

neesaki, Rocco, Tippy Lynn and 3 others like this.
  6. CSIDreamer

CSIDreamer Well-Known Member

I guess. I prefer to be kind to everyone. Not everyone's cup of tea.

neesaki, Rocco, SugarQueen and 6 others like this.
  7. Trino

Trino Well-Known Member

It's not forever. Guess I feel that if it takes 4 weeks (Germany) or 2 months (France), in the long run it's worth it to save lives.

LeeAnnB, thistle, Mo Thuairim and 9 others like this.
  8. Trino

Trino Well-Known Member

The economy will recover. Many Americans will not.

9. margarita25

margarita25 “Science, Solutions and Solidarity” - Dr. Tedros

Sadly, many of them health workers and people who did try and cared.

10. beatrixpotter

beatrixpotter Well-Known Member

I'm surprised he's still so optimistic about long term immunity.

11. LaborDayRN

LaborDayRN Masks Are Critical Not Political

I'm so sorry @Seenit !! Blasted virus is right! Here's hoping and praying that your child has a mild case and no one else in the household test positive.

12. margarita25

margarita25 “Science, Solutions and Solidarity” - Dr. Tedros

There is truth to this, and what it comes down to, as Dr. Mike and Dr. Maria explain, is that a school is not a separate entity from the rest of the community. If there is transmission in the community, then there is increased risk of transmission in schools. So, part of the best way to keep covid out of the schools is to help keep it out of the community.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
  13. LaborDayRN

LaborDayRN Masks Are Critical Not Political

Politics aside, I see wearing ANY mask as a positive thing. As my comment under my pretty purple rose says. :)

Shelby1, mimi56, dmac55 and 16 others like this.
  14. TootsieFootsie

TootsieFootsie Well-Known Member

Coronavirus antibodies have declined rapidly in the UK population. But here's why we shouldn't be too worried

A study has found coronavirus antibodies have declined rapidly in the UK population. But here's why we shouldn't be too worried.

It suggests people may have a waning immunity because antibody protection after a COVID-19 infection may not last long.

The news comes amid a surge in COVID-19 deaths globally, with 367 patients dying in one day in the UK alone.

But experts say the results aren't the "be all and end all" because there are several other immune responses at play.

15. 10ofRods

10ofRods Verified Anthropologist

So...of course, I'm concerned for you. Some things to consider:

• adequate ventilation for the patient's room; patient has own bathroom if possible
    • the most ventilation you can stand for the entire house
    • HEPA filters in the patient's room, near her head
    • humidifiers - one in patient's room (so temperate air, humidified - say 65-70°
    • PPE for everyone; sunglasses for you when administering to her
    • lots of rest for the patient, but be very aware of your own energy level (fatigue is often the earliest symptom)
    • to have on hand: Vitamin D (you should all be taking it); Zinc). Some would say that 325 mg of aspirin for the adult-sized members of your family who have been exposed (but check with doctor); NAC; pepcid.
    • everyone quarantines for 14 days starting with day 2 after your daughter was exposed by the therapist
    • remember it's more contagious before a fever - and that mildly symptomatic people may remain contagious for 2 or more weeks
    You need not to get it! If you always wear a mask and goggles/sunglasses around her, you are unlikely to (even people in Wuhan, locked up together for 3 weeks, where masks were the main PPE, only transmitted it about 20% of the time (among adult sized people). Goggles/sunglasses/faceshield plus mask...that may have reduced their transmission to near zero.

Keep us posted.

16. SouthAussie

SouthAussie Well-Known Member

Took over 100 days (over 3 months) here in Melbourne. And, very honestly, I was reading posts on SM that said "This really isn't bad .. working from home .. outside for exercise and to tend the garden and maintain the house ... grocery shopping once a day if I want .. online shopping for other things ... chatting with family and friends online or on the phone".

There were about 300 or so visible trouble makers - people who wanted the lockdown lifted before it was time - in a city of over 5,000,000.

It is strange what people consider a breach of their freedom - when one considers all the deaths and illness that are happening.

IMO

From what I understand, they are even allowing eating places to stay open. Just limiting the patrons and the hours. Some may have to collect unemployment benefits for a short time. But at least they are not losing their lives or their health.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
  17. JaneEyre

JaneEyre Well-Known Member

Yes, yes. Even if it’s a Cardinals mask in Illinois. ;)

18. SouthAussie

Would be better if they wore them all the time. And not just when they want to advertise/support. Which is what I suspect is happening, judging by all the people who walk into rallies maskless, then mask up once they are in the backdrop pics. And, therein lies my problem with this.

The only way this virus will be overcome is by unity.

IMO

19. LadyL

LadyL Well-Known Member

wow I would've thought it would be getting better now
    in fact, it seemed like it was getting better - with masks, hand sanitizer, and other items showing up as available on Amazon and in stores here

kimpage, 10ofRods, sds71 and 2 others like this.
  20. SouthAussie

<modsnip: Quoted post was removed>

This virus is not spreading so virulently because the majority of people ARE wearing masks. IMO

It has been quite clearly stated by Dr Fauci that the numbers will drop when the majority are doing the right thing.

<modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2020
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.