Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #85

Status
Not open for further replies.
A spike in COVID-19 infections may coincide with an increase in the virus being detected in sewage in Stamford and Bridgeport, according to Yale researchers.
The SARS-CoV-2 ribonucleic acid, known as RNA, concentration in the wastewater from Bridgeport and Stamford spiked in the last week, according to data from the Yale School of Public Health Researchers found that the virus that causes COVID-19, when found in municipal sewage, is a predictor of epidemic infection rates.

Current Report: Connecticut COVID-19 Wastewater Project
High Virus Concentrations Found In Stamford, Bridgeport Sewage

A spike in COVID-19 infections may coincide with an increase in the virus being detected in sewage in Stamford and Bridgeport, according to Yale researchers.
The SARS-CoV-2 ribonucleic acid, known as RNA, concentration in the wastewater from Bridgeport and Stamford spiked in the last week, according to data from the Yale School of Public Health Researchers found that the virus that causes COVID-19, when found in municipal sewage, is a predictor of epidemic infection rates.

Current Report: Connecticut COVID-19 Wastewater Project
High Virus Concentrations Found In Stamford, Bridgeport Sewage

This is also how they’ve been monitoring the CU outbreak in Boulder

How sampling campus wastewater aims to keep COVID-19 in check
Aug. 27

CU Boulder Detects Possible Coronavirus Outbreaks At Four Dorms Thanks To Wastewater Testing
Sept. 3

CU Boulder Reports Dozens Of New Coronavirus Cases Days After Wastewater Detected Possible Outbreaks
Sept. 6

Dorm sewage, vials of saliva and a state-of-the-art new lab: Inside CU’s COVID-19 testing plan
Sept. 11

Ftr, CU had a mass outbreak, over 1500 positive. CSU also had a large outbreak.
Imo, this also could have contributed to the overall deteriorating numbers in our Stae. These students don’t just hang out campus, they take Ubers, go to restaurants, etc.

Last edited:
I’m in Texas and I’ve only seen a few here and there not wearing masks, most people are. In Arkansas they seem to be doing even better, not sure why.

As far as the political masks, keep in mind there is lot of politics going on here right now, so it’s just another way of expressing their views and standing up for what they believe in, i.e., Freedom of Speech. Personally I’m just happy that they are wearing a mask :)

Recently also saw some masks that are Halloween oriented, so maybe sooner than later we’ll see some that say Merry Christmas and Here Comes Santa Claus. :) Anyway, maybe it’s good people are having fun with masks, especially if it keeps them wearing one.
Christmas masks are already for sale. My daughter ordered one that has a Christmas scene on it and it lights up and changes colors.

I'm not sure who brought up the fogging glasses problem but I found these tips helpful. I use the tissue method (using tissue with lotion infused so it doesn't irritate the bridge of my nose) and the surgical tape method at work.

Iowa numbers today: As of 10:00-11:00 a.m., we had 2,469 new confirmed cases for a total of 121,913 of which 91,401 had recovered (+979). 11 more were reported to have passed for a total of 1,691. 113 were hospitalized in the last 24 hrs. (same as yesterday) for a total of 605 (new daily record). IMO the daily case count could also be a new daily record. There are 30,512 active positive cases. Here are the daily age groups: 0-17: 10,790 (+252); 18-40: 54,663 (+967); 41-60: 33,768 (+728); 61-80: 17,597 (+410); & 81+: 5,066 (+112). Oct. 29: Over 30,000 active positive COVID-19 cases in Iowa, hospitalizations pass 600
Iowa COVID-19 Information
Also, here is some news from the last couple of days:
Allen Hospital adapts to COVID-19 testing as winter approaches
Iowa City schools following stricter quarantine rules than what state demands
COVID-19 HALLOWEEN: What it may look like, how officials and communities are responding
Cownie asks residents to 'limit or reconsider' Halloween plans
Iowa doctors say virus spread risks overwhelming hospitals
“All indicators” show worsening COVID-19 spread in Iowa, report says
Unreleased COVID data from state shows higher testing numbers, lower positivity rate
White House Coronavirus Task Force report says community spread of virus increasing in Iowa
Univ. Northern Iowa reports more than 100 percent increase in weekly COVID-19 positivity rate

Well, that's fancy. :)
Like it?
s-l1600.jpg

My daughter also tested positive today. I am in a complex feeling of dread, and partially hopeful, because she is young and healthy. I started crying when she told me, but didn't let her know.

Even more complex, normally, when your child is sick, you immediately want to "be there". Making soup, tucking them in, getting them crackers, whatever. In this case, I know that this disease would be absolutely deadly to my husband. So, I stay home, leaving her alone.

I never thought I would ever do that to my child. Ever. (She is 26, but still...).
Ugh, I am so sorry to hear this.

So...of course, I'm concerned for you. Some things to consider:

• adequate ventilation for the patient's room; patient has own bathroom if possible
  • the most ventilation you can stand for the entire house
  • HEPA filters in the patient's room, near her head
  • humidifiers - one in patient's room (so temperate air, humidified - say 65-70°
  • PPE for everyone; sunglasses for you when administering to her
  • lots of rest for the patient, but be very aware of your own energy level (fatigue is often the earliest symptom)
  • to have on hand: Vitamin D (you should all be taking it); Zinc). Some would say that 325 mg of aspirin for the adult-sized members of your family who have been exposed (but check with doctor); NAC; pepcid.
  • everyone quarantines for 14 days starting with day 2 after your daughter was exposed by the therapist
  • remember it's more contagious before a fever - and that mildly symptomatic people may remain contagious for 2 or more weeks
You need not to get it! If you always wear a mask and goggles/sunglasses around her, you are unlikely to (even people in Wuhan, locked up together for 3 weeks, where masks were the main PPE, only transmitted it about 20% of the time (among adult sized people). Goggles/sunglasses/faceshield plus mask...that may have reduced their transmission to near zero.

Keep us posted.
Great ideas. Thank you!

Very cute! I told my mask hook up I need a couple of Christmas ones.

I've had 2 of my everyday masks bite the dust. Elastic wore out. Ugh.
I have a variety of masks but my favorite one has 3 layers plus a changeable filter. It fits snugly and has a Velcro closure in the back---no elastic---so I doubt it will ever wear out. With other masks that I have, I can sometimes smell things like perfume on people or cigarette smoke when they pass by but with this one, I never smell anything.

I'm not sure who brought up the fogging glasses problem but I found these tips helpful. I use the tissue method (using tissue with lotion infused so it doesn't irritate the bridge of my nose) and the surgical tape method at work.
Just talking to my husband about this,.... Has anyone tried the antifog cloths and or / spray like are used for ski masks? Just wondering if it would work.

Ugh, I am so sorry to hear this.

You too. Pretty much, no matter what precautions you make, it is Pretty inevitable that you will probably get the virus, and the other kids. For the most part, kids have a fever, headache, tired, and okay a few days later.

But, there are always those outlier anomaly cases, that always lurk in our thoughts. Stay positive. One day at a time.

Ugggggghhhh

Sadly, the current daily death rate of about 1,000 Americans is based on infections acquired 3-4 (or more) weeks ago. So that was about 50,000 cases per day. Now that we're at around 80,000 per day, we can expect a 50% increase in death rates about 3 weeks from now. The age distribution of cases is roughly the same (although the data isn't published yet, the states involved in the uptick have produced some data).

Unfortunately, I don't think we're done with the rise in cases right now. I dread the news that we've reached 100,000 cases a day, but given what's happening in UK, France, Italy and Germany, it's entirely possible.

That would result in about 2000 deaths per day, or 60,000 Americans per month. We've got to bring those rates down.

Maskless aggro people notwithstanding.

Just talking to my husband about this,.... Has anyone tried the antifog cloths and or / spray like are used for ski masks? Just wondering if it would work.

I have a ski mask (for Covid wear) and I did the dish detergent in water wash method - it's supposed to work for glasses too. Method #2 here:

Antifog Home Remedies - Exfog Antifog System.

I have used it on my glasses as well, and it seems to work really well (hard to tell on the ski goggles as they are so tight fitting on my face).

How could they not have been prepared for this increased demand? Ugh!

I read something about this the other day. It said something like they'd ordered double the doses, back when they needed ordering a few months ago. But the demand is quadruple this year.
I wonder what the incidence is, in England (specifically England, not the rest of the UK). Because about 2 months ago, there was a big surge of English holiday-makers coming into Spain (it would help to know where the distribution is, in Spain). If so, then England probably now has that variant too - and the rest of UK will gradually get it (the English were traveling outside of UK almost exclusively as soon as they could - flights were packed).

Not strictly true. I don’t know a single person who went on their annual summer holiday this year. I would hazard a guess, based on what I know and on how many flights were cancelled this year, that less than 10% of booked holidays actually went ahead this summer.

Sadly, the current daily death rate of about 1,000 Americans is based on infections acquired 3-4 (or more) weeks ago. So that was about 50,000 cases per day. Now that we're at around 80,000 per day, we can expect a 50% increase in death rates about 3 weeks from now. The age distribution of cases is roughly the same (although the data isn't published yet, the states involved in the uptick have produced some data).

Unfortunately, I don't think we're done with the rise in cases right now. I dread the news that we've reached 100,000 cases a day, but given what's happening in UK, France, Italy and Germany, it's entirely possible.

That would result in about 2000 deaths per day, or 60,000 Americans per month. We've got to bring those rates down.

Maskless aggro people notwithstanding.

You are right to be concerned. Most European countries had managed to get the death numbers down pretty low in July and August - the UK at one point was averaging 7 deaths a day.

The US, for whatever reason, has never managed to get the numbers anywhere near that low... so yes, another wave is going to mean a scarily high infection rate and consequential death count.

We’re all doomed. Group hug.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members