Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #86

Discussion in 'Coronavirus - Covid-19' started by Amonet, Jan 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. margarita25

margarita25 Well-Known Member

Colorado303, SouthAussie and Lilibet like this.

2. margarita25

Herd immunity, turd immunity. This falsehood is going to kill us further. Something needs to be done about it, as I indicated in my earlier post.

3. drama_farmer

drama_farmer Central Kentucky (Bluegrass)

I recall watching those tv spots and smoking right through them. Maybe the ads convinced some to seek help for the addiction, maybe there's a study out there.

Imo, it was the issue of "second hand" smoke, coupled with cig taxes (prices soar) and local/federal no smoking ordinances (with fines) that quickened the stop smoking movement.

Interesting parallel: smokers were assigned responsibility for the air quality surrounding their person, because it may negatively impact the health of those around them.
    But, there were real consequences for that behavior: social and monetary.

A meaningful public health campaign isn't just about asking nicely, imo.

4. GRT

GRT Well-Known Member

We don't know the origin species--the source animal-- because they scrubbed the wet market before testing the animals. They did find 15 samples of the virus but are not positive they were shed by animals or humans.

They originally blamed illegal wildlife sales, but some of the scientists produced photos of dead rodents.

Then, they reported that four of the five original victims had no link to the wet market. And, then this from the article:

We also have Chinese officials saying the virus was discovered in European sewers last year, before it ever showed up in Wuhan.

If it did originate at the market, we may now never know the original animal source.

roche.analisa, Sundog and Rocco like this.
  5. CoverMeCagney

CoverMeCagney Well-Known Member

6. margarita25

Yes, and to add to that:

“Nobody is safe until we are all safe”.

-Dr. Mike Ryan

I am optimistic they will find the source, as it took them a year to find the source of MERS (dromedary camels). Here’s to hoping.

I have many ideas on the source, many of which I’ve shared. Top of my list, in addition to various wet markets, is possibly those folks who go into the caves and scrape the bat dung for fertilizer, going in for bird’s nest soup, putting themselves right in the middle of these live bats..etc...I am far from an expert on zoonotic spillover, but we do know they found SARS in the caves of Yunnan.

Quick link for reference:
    Bat cave solves mystery of deadly SARS virus — and suggests new outbreak could occur

Also, Guangdong has been on my list since the start, for various reasons, jmo.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2020
  7. 10ofRods

10ofRods Verified Anthropologist

//When the Trump administration gave a well-connected Republican donor seed money to test a possible COVID-19-fighting blood plasma technology, it noted the company’s “manufacturing facilities” in Charleston, South Carolina.//

//
    Zurlo founded Plasma Technologies in 2003...The company’s most recently listed address is Zurlo’s condominium in Charleston’s French Quarter.

The company has no other presence in South Carolina — or any other state — even though a U.S. government spokeswoman told the AP that Plasma Technologies has “manufacturing facilities” in Charleston.

“Fairy tale,” LaPlante said when asked if Plasma Technologies operates any commercial space in South Carolina’s most populous city.//

Upshot is that Zurlo got a contract after donating millions of dollars to GOP campaigns, most notably to Santorum who, apparently, the one pushing/recommending this expenditure of healthcare funds. The method that Zurlo proposes to use (and has proposed for years) is outdated and antiquated - plus, he doesn't actually produce anything using that method and has no capability of testing its outcome.

//Zurlo’s close relationship to Santorum offered a direct line into the FDA. The former senator had built a connection with Dr. Peter Marks, a senior FDA official, according to the documents obtained by AP.//

The article also cites other contracts awarded to questionable entities, based on campaign contributions. Zurlo also claims to be able to "cure" genetic diseases (such as trisomies) with his plasma extraction process. Naturally, there's no evidence of that.

By June, 2020 a number of highly placed medical professions within the government and military were basically whistle-blowing.

//
    In a June 12 email to HHS scientists, Army Lt. Col. Kara Schmid wrote that the price tag for Plasma Technologies was too high, even for the Pentagon, and that key parts of the company’s proposal were too vague.//

Zurlo is in huge debt. It looks like he may have used the money to help resolve that...Looks like it was about $13.4 million promised. Santorum says he invested initially and wants to see a return on his investment. Zurlo says he will donate any profits to the Catholic Church (so it appears that Zurlo and Santorum are disagreeing)...

This wasn't Zurlo's first governmental contract. Initially, Santorum insisted the plasma tech was proven, but of course, FDA has not agreed. I don't think Zurlo got $13M - the reporter isn't clear on that. The company's name is Abeona. One government official said Zurlo has only gotten $750,000 so far...

8. margarita25

Jumping off this post, I really wonder how much schools have played a role in these increased numbers, children bringing it home to their families. I suspect it it could be a significant portion. Jmo.

How many teachers have been infected to date, I wonder.

9. nhmemorymaker

nhmemorymaker Well-Known Member

Yes....one of the biggest rabbit holes of them all..... insurance companies. Total horror shows to come. Can't go there now.
    All this covid expense is going to come back and bite us, for sure.

10. drama_farmer

drama_farmer Central Kentucky (Bluegrass)

11. margarita25

Dear God, just looked at the Colorado graph.

(google “covid Colorado” then scroll down, you can do this for any state)

12. LadyL

LadyL Well-Known Member

13. margarita25

Colorado COVID-19 Data Much Worse, Deniers Don't Care

“The latest data from the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment about COVID-19 is startlingly bad, with third-wave case numbers close to triple those of the first two waves, and hospitalizations at a point not seen since April. But even with Denver and Adams counties now classified as high-risk areas and several other municipalities flirting with a potential stay-at-home designation, a percentage of the populace spent this weekend engaging in pandemic-defying behavior, including a so-called "MAGA Drag the Interstate" rally and Halloween parties allegedly involving scads of University of Colorado Boulder students.“

kimpage, Colorado303, anneg and 6 others like this.
  14. LadyL

LadyL Well-Known Member

oh no!
    keep us posted

15. JaneEyre

JaneEyre Well-Known Member

16. margarita25

Outbreak data | Colorado COVID-19 Updates

(making note to check for similar maps in other states - if you guys find them, please post, just google “x state outbreak map”, or “...data”, etc. tia.)

Sunny123, CrimeAway, sds71 and 4 others like this.
  17. SouthAussie

SouthAussie Where sunbeams shine

I wish people would focus on this part of the problem a little. We are hearing it over and over. Nurses are not something you can ramp up quickly. They need years of study and training.
    Even here, where our problem is lesser, a retired nurse friend of mine was asked to come out of retirement and help with the Victorian outbreak.

It is a really huge reason why this virus needs to be put under control.

"Nurses are working beyond their normal hours and being requested on a regular basis to cover for vacancies," said McKenna in an interview.

"I've got to tell you, they're weary, they're tired," she said.

"How long can they continue to work at this pace and deliver the care that they need to and that they want to? That's what they're worried about when they're stretched so thin."

18. margarita25

What a shame to see this all going down. Economy is heading towards and even more HORRIFiC BLOW, imo, in the time to follow. Let’s hope there’s some miraculous cure for the economy. Now we are totally screwed. Jmo.

Dr. Fauci, in that Rolling Stone video interview posted here, when asked about mistakes and what could have been done better, he specifically mentioned the lack of “phased re-openings”, that he, Dr. Birx and others had created/outlined. He said when things opened back up it should have been done gradually in these phases, but instead it was the total opposite. Again, the interview is a good one if you guys have 20 minutes to burn.

19. Midgie2

Midgie2 Well-Known Member

My daughter is an Army nurse and she told me two days ago that they are gearing up for U.S. deployment any day now. She has no idea where they’ll be stationed, but said they’ll be helping at the already established hospitals in need of medical staff. (Last time she was at the Javits center N.Y.
    And like last time, plenty of doctors will be deployed too.

20. SouthAussie

SouthAussie Where sunbeams shine

Whether you like him or not ... that research was opened back up in December 2017. And being involved with the research has some very valid aspects, as discussed earlier in the threads. A country can remain ignorant and uninvolved, or it can oversee and ensure that safety is adhered to. So that lab experiments do not leave the lab.

And it wasn't Dr Fauci who reopened the research.

"We have a responsibility to ensure that research with infectious agents is conducted responsibly, and that we consider the potential biosafety and biosecurity risks associated with such research."
    Feds lift gain-of-function research pause, offer guidance

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.