Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #86

Status
Not open for further replies.
Diabetes is rampant, too. IMO because I seem to remember something like 33 million Americans have type 2 diabetes. Jmo

Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)

That is especially prevalent in minority communities, African Americans, American Indians, both of whom have been hit particularly hard by Covid mortality rates.

A note on church services, my husband has been attending his church via the website, sure, it may not be the same "experience", but it is "church".

The priest even does a special prayer for sacrament, and people can participate using bread and wine at home.

Sorry, realist here in looking at how different Australia is and don't see that as a world baromometer at all. Yes, I cheer on Aussie land with @SouthAussie and a few others but those are out of the norm MOO. Unless all approach as such and have such successes..... that's my issue as not happening AT ALL. Moo.

As you say, it is not only Australia that is doing really well. There seems to be a huge disparity between how countries in the northern hemisphere are doing, and how countries in the southern hemisphere are doing (in general).

The approach between the two hemispheres is so very different. From what I can tell, most/all of us in the south use the test/trace/isolate method as our form of control for any outbreaks.

Even India, as hugely populated as it is, never managed to overtake the US with deaths and cases - as thought was going to happen when they first started spiralling out of control.

A note on church services, my husband has been attending his church via the website, sure, it may not be the same "experience", but it is "church".

The priest even does a special prayer for sacrament, and people can participate using bread and wine at home.

Our church is now doing the same once a month. We get the bread and wine (or juice) ready before the service, and take communion at the same time as other church members as the video of the service airs on Sunday morning.

The virus is made of RNA. Whether it is infectious or not isn't related to whether RNA is found - it's the state that the RNA is in, as I understand it.

If the RNA has been broken into pieces, it's not infectious (and this can happen immediately upon collision with a surface 0r the virions can float gently onto some surfaces and remain viable for...quite some time, usually said to be 72 hours).

Broken up bits of RNA are not viable. It is still easily determined that the bits belong to Coronavirus - but they are not infectious.

I agree with you that it's highly unlikely that someone would be infected by CV either by touch (on most surfaces, after a few hours) or by virions still floating around after a few coughs hours before.

However, the big threat is breathing in an enclosed space. In a space the size of the average bedroom, an adut will continue to breathe out live virions if they are infected and those virions will mount in number creating the potential for a very high viral load in that space. Same for hospital rooms.

At a house party, in a place with a positivity rate of 10% (there are places with much higher positivity rates in the US), then if there are 200 people, 20 of them will breathe out about 100,000 virions in normal breathing, more if talking or laughing. So even if the whole house is used for the party, if there's not good ventilation (and there rarely is - the air needs to exchange 4-5X per hour to get close to keeping this event non-infectious), within an hour, the entire place is center of contagion. Nearly everyone will be exposed, many will become transmitters (and many of them will be asymptomatic).

Churches, obviously, fall into the same category as a house party (and may be even less well ventilated than some homes, depending on the church). How long does the air remain infectious? No one knows. Would I want to go into that space after only 4-5 hours? No way. It's possible that in frequently used spaces (like churches), the waves of infectiousness overlap and are fairly continuous (which is why we see 100 people in a congregation infected after 1-2 events).

Would there still be live virions in that space (if it was not occupied for 3 days)? Probably a few. If a person's immune system wasn't at optimum, yep, they could still get Covid. For example, someone with the flu is thought to be way more susceptible to acquiring Covid in this manner, although we won't know for sure until flu season is more under way.

Yes but it was just the RNA of the virus was found on the surfaces. Not the virus itself. But people took the information that RNA of the virus was found on the surface two weeks later and ran with it, in alarmist headlines indicating that the virus lingers around on surfaces and can infect people for up to 17 days.

But that was not true.

Coronavirus: Cruise ship had genetic traces of the virus for 17 days

So I take some of these alarmist headlines with a grain of salt.

I also think that in a desperate quest for fellow citizens to take this deadly disease seriously, people - not governments or scientists - have unintentionally exaggerated certain things or have spread misinformation based on a lack of understanding about data or reports.

That backfires though and causes people not to believe anything, which is dangerous.

I try to be reasonable about this plague and go back to the basics and the only perfect laboratory and control group we have to date. And that laboratory tells us that when exposed to mass amounts of people in close spaces, eating at buffets, etc.:

19% of the population became infected.
10% of the population became symptomatic (or 53.5 % of the people who got infected).
1% of the population needed intensive care (or 5% of those infected).
.2% of the population died (or 1.3% of those infected).

Public Health Responses to COVID-19 Outbreaks on Cruise Ships...

Those numbers in the aggregate are super serious and indeed are catastrophic.

However, those numbers also indicate we don't need to wear hazmat suits, bleach things we get from the store, or flip out if we breathe the same air as someone else for less than 15 minutes or so or are within 6 feet of others while everyone is wearing masks.

It's a difficult balance between trying to encourage the public to follow basic safety protocols (which is notoriously difficult even without leaders mocking or denouncing such necessary protocols) and making statements that are so alarmist that people start tuning out. Like what happened with car alarms.

So for now I am taking some of these things with a grain of salt until I see the actual science behind it.

The terrible thing is that, despite all we have learned about treatments, there will be many more deaths.

Is there any more info about all Americans needing it getting the same treatment as the president? Is that going to happen yet?

From your linked article:

"Our number of hospitalized people goes up every day. These are a lot of Kentuckians who are fighting for their lives," Gov. Andy Beshear said Wednesday.
"There's a lot of pain out there and it's hitting everybody."

Across the US, more than 52,000 people are hospitalized Wednesday with coronavirus, according to the Covid Tracking Project.

Coronavirus is spreading so rampantly in El Paso County that a fourth mobile morgue was headed to the area this week.

From curfews to mask mandates to crowd control, other state and local officials are scrambling to control Covid-19 during what doctors say will be the worst surge yet.

As you say, it is not only Australia that is doing really well. There seems to be a huge disparity between how countries in the northern hemisphere are doing, and how countries in the southern hemisphere are doing (in general).

The approach between the two hemispheres is so very different. From what I can tell, most/all of us in the south use the test/trace/isolate method as our form of control for any outbreaks.

Even India, as hugely populated as it is, never managed to overtake the US with deaths and cases - as thought was going to happen when they first started spiralling out of control.

India's in the northern hemisphere though. And the South American countries are doing terribly. Some of the Polynesian nations have been overwhelmed too - French Polynesia is 13th in the world for high infection rates per capita.

You have done well to keep the virus low down there. So have those Northern Hemisphere Asian nations who, because of more regular flu outbreaks, are both practised and compliant at protecting themselves and others. Of course, in terms of population there is no comparison:

Southern Hemisphere 800,000,000 (approx 11%)
Northern Hemisphere 6,570,000,000 (approx 89%)

We are so much more dense up here - in more ways than one o_O

India's in the northern hemisphere though. And the South American countries are doing terribly. Some of the Polynesian nations have been overwhelmed too - French Polynesia is 13th in the world for high infection rates per capita.

You have done well to keep the virus low down there. So have those Northern Hemisphere Asian nations who, because of more regular flu outbreaks, are both practised and compliant at protecting themselves and others. Of course, in terms of population there is no comparison:

Southern Hemisphere 800,000,000 (approx 11%)
Northern Hemisphere 6,570,000,000 (approx 89%)

We are so much more dense up here - in more ways than one o_O

Lol ... of course you are right. Somehow my mind thinks of the Asian countries being mostly in the southern hemisphere (no, believe it or not, I didn't bomb out in Geography in school). o_O

What is incredibly good is how relatively well Africa is doing ... considering their massive population, and under-resourced systems.

Lol ... of course you are right. Somehow my mind thinks of the Asian countries being mostly in the southern hemisphere (no, believe it or not, I didn't bomb out in Geography in school). o_O

What is incredibly good is how relatively well Africa is doing ... considering their massive population, and under-resourced systems.

Haha I know what you mean, it seems a bit unevenly balanced. I'll send a few more countries your way!

Yeah I've wondered about Africa. I'm not sure whether the stats aren't quite right, or whether the sheer lack of travel and movement has managed to stymie the spread. The health systems in some of the poorer countries just wouldn't cope with large numbers of infection. It's strange. We may never know the true, true, picture.

is asthma considered a risk factor? Because I think I know more people with asthma than without. ( only sort of exaggerating)
Indeed it is and I’m high risk because of it. And my blood type is A+, which I understand does not bode well for COVID survival. Did you guys talk about blood type implications in earlier threads? Is it real or just bunk.

Indeed it is and I’m high risk because of it. And my blood type is A+, which I understand does not bode well for COVID survival. Did you guys talk about blood type implications in earlier threads? Is it real or just bunk.

We touched on it, though it was early days. Since then there have been a couple of studies as reported here:

Does Covid-19 Risk Depend On Blood Type? More Research Points To Yes

My husband is A+, I think I might be O, and no idea what my kids are.

Iowa numbers and news today: Well, we for sure have a new daily record. :( As of 10:00-11:00 a.m., we had 4,562 new confirmed cases for a total of 140,609 of which 97,944 had recovered (+1,296). 20 more were reported to have passed for a total of 1,801. There are 42,665 active positve cases. There were 156 hospitalized in the last 24 hrs. for a total of 839 (+62 new daily record). Here are the approximate daily age group increases (I noticed was 3 short in totals, so I must of wrote some total down wrong recently). 0-17: 12,660 (+476); 18-40: 61,971 (+1,846); 41-60: 39,533 (+1,417); 61-80: 20,556 (+679); and 81+: 5,854 (+141). Nov. 5: 4,562 new COVID-19 cases in Iowa with 44% positivity rate, state passes 1 million tests
4,562 new virus cases as hospitalizations continue to spike
Iowa COVID-19 Information
Gov. Reynolds provides funding for hospitals, asks Iowans to step up as COVID-19 hits record numbers
Black Hawk County school leaders say rise in COVID-19 not impacting schools
UnityPoint Health asking Iowans to do their part in fight against COVID-19
Johnson County extends public health disaster emergency into December
UI Hospitals & Clinics ready for potential surge

The doctors, the nurses, the medical staff, the families of the ill and the dying ...... and other countries. Just 10 minutes ago, an Aussie political expert was speaking of the 'deep covid crisis' the US is experiencing.

Yes, it's talked about here too, though I may be more attuned because of being on this forum and connected to all you guys.

It's an interesting point though @Trino - are the numbers being well reported over there? I really hope so (though I understand you've all been preoccupied the last couple of days!)

Haha I know what you mean, it seems a bit unevenly balanced. I'll send a few more countries your way!

Yeah I've wondered about Africa. I'm not sure whether the stats aren't quite right, or whether the sheer lack of travel and movement has managed to stymie the spread. The health systems in some of the poorer countries just wouldn't cope with large numbers of infection. It's strange. We may never know the true, true, picture.

I saw a report, I think on 60 minutes, about that. They felt it has something to do with the Ebola crisis and how the infrastructure for lack of a better word, is there to deal with this pandemic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooreknowledge