Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #86

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m surprised she didn’t mention getting tested prior to returning to work?
I’d probably be worried and a little bit pissy.
Thank you - I am a little pissy! And as SocalDavid pointed out, spouse is choosing the option that protects others but not me and the kids! I'm not too worried but yes my feathers are ruffled! Hopefully all turns out well.

Thanks so much. I’ve been getting stronger by the day. The sweet sweet voices of “Never give up Grandma” keep me going and give me reasons to wake up and smile. I’ve been so out of the WS loops the last few months, it’s taken me awhile to begin posting again, but it’s like riding a bike. Right?

It’s really great to see you :)

Thank you - I am a little pissy! And as SocalDavid pointed out, spouse is choosing the option that protects others but not me and the kids! I'm not too worried but yes my feathers are ruffled! Hopefully all turns out well.
BBM

I’d be so far beyond “a little pissy” @Spider92, your husband would rue the day he met and married me! :mad: I know that’s not exactly helpful, but you have a right to expect your husband to protect his family. I hope y0u can find a way to keep yourself and your kids safe while you wait this out. Hugs!

It’s really great to see you :)
❤️ I’ve been popping in a few times over the last month but have been a bit timid about posting. I felt out of practice typing and somewhat shy talking to y’all. My fingertips still have little sense of touch so I typo and backspace a bunch. I already feel improvement just since this morning. I’ve been on a serial posting spree today. Once I got back into the hang of it, I had so much to catch up on - I just kept going all day.

“In Illinois, stricter coronavirus restrictions will go into effect Wednesday for some suburban counties.”

[...]

“"The virus is winning right now," Illinois Gov. JB Pritzker said on Twitter. The governor also hinted at a possible stay-at-home order as the Thanksgiving holiday approaches.“

[...]

“Illinois surpassed half a million confirmed cases Tuesday and reported more than 12,000 new daily cases, continuing its trend of record numbers in recent days.

“We all want this to be over, but we need to gird ourselves for winter. It’s not over yet … we have potentially months of the fight ahead of us,” Gov. JB Pritzker said, imploring residents to wear masks and to stop holding gatherings inside their homes. “Nine months is a long time, but we cannot let our guard down. Look at these numbers.”“

COVID news: 1M US cases in November; NFL approves contingency plan

Perhaps you could just use the other bathroom exclusively? (Don’t know how many you have)
I’m surprised she didn’t mention getting tested prior to returning to work?
I’d probably be worried and a little bit pissy.

So, I have a question here...a spouse has the "right" to be "pissy", because the other spouse, who is out working , was exposed to Covid?

This is a bad trend. Why blame someone for being exposed to Covid? You literally can't help it now, unless you don't leave the house.

I hope that my spouse is not "pissy" to me if I am under quarantine.

Biden Covid advisor says U.S. lockdown of 4 to 6 weeks could control pandemic and revive economy
  • Dr. Michael Osterholm, a coronavirus advisor to President-elect Joe Biden, said a nationwide lockdown would help bring the virus under control in the U.S.
  • He said the government could borrow enough money to pay for a package that would cover lost income for individuals and governments during a shutdown.
  • “We could really watch ourselves cruising into the vaccine availability in the first and second quarter of next year while bringing back the economy long before that,” he said.

So, I have a question here...a spouse has the "right" to be "pissy", because the other spouse, who is out working , was exposed to Covid?

This is a bad trend. Why blame someone for being exposed to Covid? You literally can't help it now, unless you don't leave the house.

Oh I'm not upset at all that spouse was exposed to covid - nobody to blame for that. It just struck me that the school nurse called our house during last night's family dinner and offered 3 suggestions for containing the virus....and spouse chose just the one meant to protect those outside our household without even a discussion. Maybe I'm just overly sensitive as a mask wearing devotee and hand sanitizing freak.

Last edited:

I thought the question wasn’t that the spouse was exposed? But that out of the three recommendations for household, he was only going to quarantine and not wear a mask indoors or stick to using one particular bathroom.
I would not be pissy that he was exposed.
I’d be worried every day he went in to that school! Concerned that he could have it? Yes!
Upset that he wouldn’t stick to one bathroom and wear a mask.
Hope that explains my response!
(Although my pissy trigger is a bit quick these days)

I'd be pissed if that was my husband too. And it wouldn't be because he'd been exposed. It was because he was exposed and he's not willing to inconvenience himself in any way to protect the rest of his family. He's not being asked to sleep in a tent in the backyard, just wear a mask and use one dedicated bathroom. I know my husband would absolutely do that much at least. Sadly with this level of exposure in our communities families will need to find ways to shelter and protect others in their home.

Take care and Be safe :)
From your link
.The nurses represented by the ONA remain extremely concerned about contracting COVID-19 on the job. According to Mealy, health care workers comprise about 10% of Oregon’s COVID-19 cases so far.

“We know that they are at a tremendous risk. That hasn’t changed, and it becomes more concerning as cases continue to rise,” he said.

Jennifer Burrows, the chief nursing officer at Providence echoed Mealy’s concerns. “We are seeing illness grow in our caregiver teams across the state.

Just awful awful stuff all around. :(:mad:

OREGON—fastest growing number of cases on the West Coast.

Personal note: Quite frankly, I’m trying reeeeaallly hard not to be terrified. Oregon’s governor was so proactive from the beginning, but mandates only work if people cooperate. At first they did, but now it’s “eat, drink and be merry” in small groups that lead to community spread. And sue the governor over restrictions. :mad: My southern Oregon county (Jackson) is leading the pack in our area, just behind the more populated counties surrounding Portland up north. We are so careful, and I honestly don’t know what more my husband and I can do to protect ourselves. :(

With the fastest-growing number of COVID-19 cases on the West Coast, Oregon hospitals are preparing to deal with a surge in patients.
<snip>

But as of Monday, there were 318 patients hospitalized with COVID-19, part of a pattern in which the number of new cases reported daily continues to climb.

“The trend is clear and very concerning,” said Dana Hargunani, the chief medical officer for the Oregon Health Authority.

While a case surge could be worse this time around, the state has had more time to prepare. Oregon’s warehouse is stocked with PPE — personal protective equipment: over 10 million surgical masks, nearly 4 million gowns and N95-masks and over 7 million gloves. New shipments of PPE are coming in every day: 5 million gloves arrived over the weekend.

Related: OPB's coronavirus coverage

And hospitals have had time to prepare, too. They’ve set up surge tents and additional beds in anticipation of a patient influx.

“We now have multiple plans and systems in place,” Hargunani said. “We’re better prepared than we were in February.”
<snip>

But space isn’t what’s limiting his hospital’s capacity: it’s people.

“Staffing is really an issue as we bounce up against our capacity constraints,” Absalon said.

“We will have to reduce elective surgeries,” Absalon said. Many of those surgeries were rescheduled when elective procedures were paused across the state earlier this year.

Dr. Jamie Greboski is the chief medical officer at Asante, which runs four hospitals in Southern Oregon. Asante is a regional resource hospital in a part of Oregon that last week saw new diagnosed cases rise by 162%.That’s meant more hospitalizations, too. “Over the last few days, we’ve had a threefold increase in the number of patients,” Greboski said. He doesn’t see that slowing any time soon.

“We set up, regionally, a COVID hotline,” Greboski said. It can help people who think they have COVID figure out if they need to seek further care or go to a hospital.The line was flooded. “I heard today that we had 100 calls an hour in the first two hours of the day,” said Greboski.

There are patients at some of Asante’s hospitals that could be discharged to a different medical center to recover. That’s a common practice for patients recovering from a severe illness. But Greboski says the places they normally send patients - like memory care facilities, nursing homes, and skilled nursing facilities - either don’t have room, are already battling COVID-19 infections, or can’t accept any patients with COVID-19."At Medford Rogue (Regional Medical Center) we have 15 people waiting for a placement. In Grants Pass, ten people are waiting for a placement," Greboski said. That’s 25 fewer available beds available in the region until those patients can be moved.

Oregon currently still has enough nurses available statewide to care for COVID-19 patients and staff ICUs as they fill up, according to the Oregon Nurses Association.

“We still have enough nurses now,” said Kevin Mealy, a spokesperson for the union. “The number of beds is less important than the number of people able to staff them… there are interventions you can take to create more spaces, but creating people with the competency and training to care for patients is the much more important effort.”

Mealy said he’s most concerned about how rural hospitals will manage as the number of cases in Oregon hits a new peak.

“In areas of Oregon where there’s only one hospital for miles and miles and they begin with fewer ICU beds, it does not take a large outbreak to fill that capacity,” he said.

Gov. Brown pleads with Oregonians to stay home as COVID-19 strains hospital capacity

Well, the 1st suggestion is to keep other people safe. The 2nd & 3rd suggestions are specifically to keep You safe.

If he doesn't have the virus, you have nothing to be concerned about. If he has it, and the "suggestions" are not all followed, you are probably going to get the virus at some point as well.

Want a little piece of mind, have him get tested daily. But know that isn't foolproof either, but if he's safe through this weekend, he's probably fine, since he would have contracted it last Friday.
Plus open a window on either side of your house for some fresh air if you don’t have an air filtration system. Consider wearing a mask at home.

Surprised it is not more like 4 in 5!

Your State:

A Montana County Is So Swamped by COVID They've Run Out of Teachers, Hospital Beds
For seven emergency response physicians associated with the Marcus Daly Memorial Hospital in Hamilton, Montana, the rapid spike of coronavirus cases in the state has them at their breaking point.

The 80-year-old hospital system, named after one of the three “Copper Kings” of Butte, has seen the number of total infections double in the last few weeks—and the pandemic is slated to only get worse as winter looms.

In the last week alone, three residents in Ravalli County—where the hospital is located—have died from coronavirus complications. On Tuesday, all Stevensville schools were forced to close for two weeks and pivot to remote learning after the school system couldn’t find enough staff to fill classrooms.

At least four more schools in the county had to do the same in the past fortnight—including one school in which 40 percent of the students either had COVID-19 or had been in close contact with someone who did.

A Montana County Is So Swamped by COVID They’ve Run Out of Teachers, Hospital Beds

From an Australian interview ....

Dr Fauci said it was difficult to estimate what the final death toll in the US would be.
"Every day, we seem to be setting another record for the number of cases," Dr Fauci said.

America's worsening coronavirus outbreak was not impossible to get under control, he said, but the task was becoming more difficult as the number of cases grew.
He said that contact tracing was becoming more and more difficult and the only option was to turn to mass surveillance testing.
"Not just testing people who are symptomatic, but testing society in general, to get a feel for what the penetration of asymptomatic transmission is," he said.
"When you do that, you can then get people out of circulation who are infected to prevent them from infecting others."

"I don't think you need to lock down. I think people have a misperception that when you say, 'wear masks, avoid crowds, keep your distance', that that means locking down, it doesn't.

'Sitting on the beach, relaxing, enjoying the sun': Fauci would love the US to be where Australia is

(He also says - among other things - working with the administration on the coronavirus pandemic had "obviously been very stressful".
"I mean, it's just, to deny that would be to deny reality," he said.
"When you have public figures like Bannon calling for your beheading. That's really kind of unusual.
"That's not the kind of thing you think about when you're going through medical school to become a physician.")

Last edited:
Utah mask mandate draws protest

Dozens of protesters gathered outside the Utah governor's mansion on Monday as Gov. Gary Herbert's statewide mask mandate went into effect, an effort to help combat the state's boom in new coronavirus cases.

The crowd waved signs with slogans such as "stop the tyranny" and describing Herbert as a "dictator." Protester Ken Whetstone told The Deseret News that more people would have protested, but they were intimidated by "big government." Herbert also banned extracurricular activities and casual social gatherings among those of different households, citing the severe strain the increasing coronavirus caseload has put on hospitals.

"If everybody who’s not happy with the mask mandate and the limit of 10 people gathering, if everyone that was unhappy with that came out to protest, this street would be full," Whetstone said.”

COVID news: 1M US cases in November; NFL approves contingency plan

It makes no sense. I wish these people would be able to safely tour the hospitals and see what’s happening.

I think most people are in favor of masks. You know, you can always tell the pulse of a nation or region by what advertisers and sellers do. Most stores mandate masks because they know if they don’t, people won’t come.

Those not in favor are causing the spread, though,
IMO. At least in part. It’s a shame. Lives altered and an economy devastated because failure to wear masks is causing bankrupting illness in thousands of people and is making it hard to fully reopen. Which we could do if everyone played by the rules.

So while I think most people want to, there’s a significant majority causing trouble for us all.

“We have not even come close to the peak, and as such, our hospitals are now being overrun,” said Dr. Michael Osterholm, a member of President-elect Joe Biden’s Covid task force.

The upcoming holidays set the country up for a lethal winter and spring since hospitalizations and deaths lag newly diagnosed infections by a few weeks.

Ohio has had an “unprecedented spike” in Covid-19 hospital admissions.
ICU beds in Tulsa, Oklahoma, are full.
North Dakota’s hospitals don’t have enough doctors and nurses.
Hospital administrators in Iowa are warning that they are approaching their limits.

“What America has to understand is that we are about to enter Covid hell,” Dr. Michael Osterholm, director of the Center of Infectious Disease Research and Policy at the University of Minnesota, said in an interview

U.S. prepares for worst four months of the pandemic as it stares down the 'darkest' days yet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anniegirl401