Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #86

Status
Not open for further replies.
Live in Kansas. We had to have a new furnace/ac installed. No choice.
When it was installed numbers of infected people was rising, but it was not as bad. We were not real worried because we new the installers well and knew they would be careful. Just this week, the guys needed to come out to make an adjustment to the unit. I was talking to one of the guys.....he wears a mask all day at work, eats away from the other installers. Uses hand sanitizer all the time. BUT when he goes home....he takes off shoes in the garage and the shoes go in one area only. Then he removes all work clothes, puts in plastic bag. He leaves them in garage and continues on to take a shower. He then washes his own clothes....and wears a mask again all day at home except when he sleeps....now by himself. He has a room and bathroom he only uses....no one else is allowed in there. He sees his family at a far distance. Eats by himself. He said some of what he does is mandated by the business to keep everyone safe. Some of what he does is because of conversations with co workers trying to keep safe, keep families safe and also still being able to service the clients furnaces. Is it extreme? Well maybe for some, but he is doing what he can.
I was extremely thankful for all they do.

And then you get a craft business who owner does not care. Anyone can come in, exceeds numbers allowed, no masks, no self distancing. Tells people they are lying if they are sick for any reason. Bring in grand child to store every day....exposes granchild and does not care. Said it’s only a cold. Her husband said he is a rebel, this is a government conspiracy.....oh I could go on.

How two businesses totally are at opposite ends of the virus belief. It’s those who won’t even try to help contain the virus that cry the loudest they have no business, well everyone is afraid to come in! They get no government help, well you need to fill out the paperwork first, oh yeah that’s right you said it takes too much time.

What a nightmare. Please everyone, stay safe, wear masks and follow rules of your area and country.

It is good to see that for many of the other 4 in 5 ....

"We're seeing a lot of gratefulness — that feeling that friends and family were there for them in a way that they didn't expect, and feeling really grateful for that. Feeling like celebrating life."

She says some patients who had really difficult hospital stays say things like "I feel like I get a second chance at life" and "I'm going to make myself a better person," now that they have survived.

Pasch and her clinic colleagues call this "post-traumatic growth" – the inverse of post-traumatic stress.

One of our local supermarkets has installed a machine ... looks like a short low tunnel ... that they push a line of shopping carts through as they store them for customer use. Sanitising spray coats the shopping carts as they are pushed through this little tunnel.

It is a trial at the moment, but may roll out further. Some people are saying they would rather still use the provided wipes to wipe down the handles of the shopping carts they use.

ETA: This is not the one, but it looks sort of like this:

xx3.JPG
Shopping Carts Trolley Wash Sanitizer Tunnel Spray Machine

Last edited:
It is good to see that for many of the other 4 in 5 ....

"We're seeing a lot of gratefulness — that feeling that friends and family were there for them in a way that they didn't expect, and feeling really grateful for that. Feeling like celebrating life."

She says some patients who had really difficult hospital stays say things like "I feel like I get a second chance at life" and "I'm going to make myself a better person," now that they have survived.

Pasch and her clinic colleagues call this "post-traumatic growth" – the inverse of post-traumatic stress.
I definitely relate to feeling grateful for how my family looked after me. Mr HKP is lovely in many ways, but he is rarely unwell and so cannot empathise easilyif someone else is. I was really touched by how he and my son prepared small meals and brought cups of tea to my door.

Little things become big things for me, if you know what I mean.

I have no idea as to what this “new data” announcement is going to be
Find out soon enough I guess

Mass. to Release New COVID-19 Data as Hospitals Brace for Surge
Massachusetts officials are expected to release new information today on communities at high risk for COVID-19, just one day after the state reported its highest new case count since April.

Massachusetts recently stopped using its high risk map and has changed the way cities and towns are assessed. Although fewer areas are now considered in the red zone, the latest numbers are not expected to be good.

More than 2,000 new cases were reported on Wednesday, and nearly 10,000 people have died from COVID-19 across the state.

Last week, Gov. Charlie Baker instituted a series of new public health mandates, including a requirement for masks to be worn in public at all times.

Meanwhile, hospitals across the state are bracing for a surge in coronavirus patients.

"My sense is that this will be just as before," said Dr. Michael Gustafson, president of UMass Medical Center. "We've kind of had a prolonged peak and it took two or three months to completely play out. I think that's the minimum of what we'd expect."

Field hospitals could be reopened to help provide for more capacity.

I definitely relate to feeling grateful for how my family looked after me. Mr HKP is lovely in many ways, but he is rarely unwell and so cannot empathise easilyif someone else is. I was really touched by how he and my son prepared small meals and brought cups of tea to my door.

Little things become big things for me, if you know what I mean.

I wonder how people who live alone manage if they get sick. I have a daughter who lives alone and worry about how I would be able to care for her. Was receiving small meals and cups of tea enough to get you through?

Do you mind telling us more about your experience? I realise that every person's journey through covid is not the same.

Sloan reported that the captain informed passengers of the preliminary positive test over the ship's intercom system shortly before lunchtime on Wednesday.

Passengers were instructed to return to their cabins and remain isolated there, he said.

The ship was anchored off Union Island in the Grenadines at the time of the announcement, according to Sloan, and was immediately headed back to Barbados.

The impact on the industry of the incident "will depend in part on how this situation unfolds in the coming hours and days," Sloan told CNN Travel via email from his cabin on board. "But it's not a great development for the cruise industry. I think the hope had been that the rigorous testing that SeaDream was doing would keep Covid off its ship."
Covid-19 scare unfolds aboard first cruise to resume sailing in the Caribbean

Sloan reported that the captain informed passengers of the preliminary positive test over the ship's intercom system shortly before lunchtime on Wednesday.

Passengers were instructed to return to their cabins and remain isolated there, he said.

The ship was anchored off Union Island in the Grenadines at the time of the announcement, according to Sloan, and was immediately headed back to Barbados.

The impact on the industry of the incident "will depend in part on how this situation unfolds in the coming hours and days," Sloan told CNN Travel via email from his cabin on board. "But it's not a great development for the cruise industry. I think the hope had been that the rigorous testing that SeaDream was doing would keep Covid off its ship."
Covid-19 scare unfolds aboard first cruise to resume sailing in the Caribbean

The first word that comes to mind is PREDICTABLE

I wanted to check in as we get ready to really "lock down" again. We live in a very rural area that had very, very few COVID cases since March (11 total) so during the summer we relaxed our routines a little where I would go (masked) to the grocery store and a few times we ate outside (with masks). We also started working from our (private) office - just my husband and I. Though there is a shared lobby, it is always empty. Now that numbers are rising all around us I told my husband I think I need to go back to working from home and limiting trips out. The only thing I can't decide about is we have been attending Sunday mass in person. Our priest keeps it under 30 minutes, masks are required, no singing, 50% capacity, 6 ft spacing between families, every other pew is closed. I know it's our "riskiest" activity but it has been so nice to have that one outing a week. I can't decide what to do. 1 active case in a town of 6,000 makes me think it is still pretty safe as long as we take masking, washing, and distance precautions. I am so torn about it. I think we'll continue going until there are more active cases in our town/surrounding towns. But part of me thinks that's too late!

“San Francisco, once a COVID success story, rolls back reopening efforts

Officials in San Francisco, one of the country's most successful cities at limiting spread of the coronavirus, said Tuesday they'll roll back reopening efforts amid a 250% increase in COVID-19 cases since Oct. 2.

Mayor London Breed said that, starting at the end of Friday, indoor dining at restaurants — which two weeks ago was scheduled to get expanded to 50% of capacity — would not be permitted at all. In addition, opening of high schools for in-person learning will be paused, though not for elementary and middle schools. And allowed capacity at gyms and movie theaters will be further reduced.

San Francisco's case rate has climbed in the last two weeks from 3.7 per 100,000 residents to 9. By comparison, the U.S. has recorded 33 cases per 100,000 residents in the last week. In New York, the country's densest and most populous city, the figure over the last week is 13 per 100,000.

“The fact is the virus is spreading and we have to make the hard decisions,” Breed said.“

COVID news: 1M US cases in November; NFL approves contingency plan

WTH?! We just went to look at a house and the real estate agent was NOT wearing a mask! Then, she goes to hug my husband. (Who was wearing a mask). I was seriously gonna to B-Slap her.

I intervened, and loudly asked her very pointedly, where her mask was....and could she put it on, or did she need one? <modsnip>

Rant over. For now.

Did I forget to mention that her "mask", looked like a piece of white gauze? Seriously!

That would not have gone over well with me, either. Words would not have been pretty and, since it seems I have been born without a filter....

Here’s something I have been wanting to mention for a while now, something I just don’t “get” re: people who don’t wear masks:

In addition to the main point of not wanting to sicken others, I also have zero desire to be “that person”, the one that people look at as a conscious and selfish disease spreader. Who wants to be looked at by everyone in the grocery store, etc., as a jerk, making others uncomfortable, potentially spreading disease around. I don’t get it.

Last edited:
I wonder how people who live alone manage if they get sick. I have a daughter who lives alone and worry about how I would be able to care for her. Was receiving small meals and cups of tea enough to get you through?

Do you mind telling us more about your experience? I realise that every person's journey through covid is not the same.
I dont mind at all, but apologies to those who heard all this before!

Some symptoms were v odd.

Around 16th March I was in strategy meetings at work with directors. We kept distance in large rooms. I started to feel tired. On Thursday 19th, one of the directors went home with a cough and fever.

Friday 20th March I was supposed to work from home. I woke with one of the worst headaches I've ever had. I felt feverish (no thermometer at home then). I had a cough, but I always cough so it was hard to notice much difference. Over the next few days v bad back, shoulder and leg aches. Had to have painkillers to sleep. No appetite. Lost sense of taste. Had a v numb tongue (?!). Exhausted. Weird hard little spots on my torso. Couldn't always take a good deep breath in which felt slightly panicky. After a week I felt well enough to leave my room (back then isolation was 7 days). The fatigue has taken months to shift. I feel a lot better now but still not quite back to myself (according to Mr HKP).

Four of the directors had a similar illness. One has since had antibodies identified. All of us in our 50s.

Two other colleagues became ill at the same time. One is 10 years younger than me, loads fitter, much much slimmer... but she really struggled with it, particularly with feeling breathless and exhausted.

I'm not a date geek btw. Its just that we went into full lockdown on 23rd March so the date is easy to work out.

Biden's coronavirus advisor is about to make a lot of people very, very angry — BGR

“Dr. Michael Osterholm, a coronavirus advisor to President-elect Joe Biden, has an idea on how to control the pandemic. His solution will upset a lot of people, including politicians who have resisted similar strategies before. The health expert thinks that a nationwide lockdown of 4-6 weeks could help officials control the pandemic… and he says it can be done in such a way that helps the economy instead of hurting it.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23