Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #88

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's just nice, IMHO, to be discussing vaccines and their imminent release to the world's population. A little less doom and gloom appearing on the horizon.

Hi zecats and everyone,

I highly recommend listening to Dr. Osterholm’s latest podcast, in case anyone missed it and has an hour to burn. He is really optimistic about the vaccines, which was great to hear. We just need to “make it to the vaccine”.

Worth a listen moo:

Nov 23 (yesterday) Dr. Campbell reviews two small studies (I know he's so frustrated more aren't being done on larger scale, but I think/hope most here know, and are doing supplements for D here at WS? I was screened for a few years back and told by GP to start taking supplements, wish the general public was educated as to WHY.. as I never was until COVID. )

Short term, high-dose vitamin D supplementation for COVID-19 disease: a randomised, placebo-controlled, study (SHADE study) ... and he also is so disapointed that MSM is not picking up such.

50 patients treated with calcifediol, one required admission to the ICU (2%), no deaths... 26 untreated patients, 13 required admission (50%) to the ICU, 2 deaths.

"It has been observed that vitamin D-deficient individuals have increased COVID-19 risk and mortality" ....."The role of vitamin D in the prevention of coronavirus disease infection and mortality"..." Immunomodulatory role and protective effect of vitamin D against other viral infections" .. etc...

Bottom line (his notes are below video if you don't have time to watch) is that high doses of vitamin D (in the form of calcifediol vs what most of us take as cholecalciferol which has to go through liver to be processed) as soon as admitted to hospital clear the virus more quickly and are less prone to blood clotting complications. And it's consistent to observational correlations studies... yet so little of national recommendations and large scale trials.

He reviews studies, levels etc.

Again, most here at WS have been seeing such since March/April that vitamin D may/is good MOO. And many of us started to take (and especially now within winter in the northern hemisphere.)

That's a great article. Finding calcifediol for sale to the public is rather difficult, I'm finding. In fact, the only place I can find it says they do not sell it for direct human/patient consumption - only to labs and hospitals.

So, for our purposes as consumers, we have to use cholecalciferol. DH and I started taking it regularly about 4 years ago, after a large study comparing D3 to the flu shot showed that 10,000IU was as effective as the flu shot. Now, I believe it's probably best to do both, of course.

That 10,000IU advice is for people with regular BMI. I know a quite a few people who bump their dose up if they are worried about being in an environment with viruses. Fortunately, it's hard to get too much vitamin D. In the study cited below, only one person managed to have what was considered excess vitamin D in her blood (she was taking almost 200,000 IU !!!)

6 Side Effects of Too Much Vitamin D

I take 15,000 IU daily and took 25,000 IU daily starting about 2 weeks before our recent trip to Yosemite (we were very lucky, I managed to avoid all public restrooms, the only person I was in contact with was behind plexiglass, it was for 4 minutes). I haven't had my blood levels checked recently, but last time they were checked, I had gone from very low Vitamin D (like most Americans) and was just above normal (that's with the 15,000 IU daily; my BMI is right around 30). I feel a bit shy sharing that, but I think it's so important that people address their Vitamin D issues - it takes about six months to slowly get levels up. People with darker skin may need more than those with lighter skin. It's really important to share this information with your friends and family.

A good Vitamin D3 supplement would make an excellent holiday gift!

(it also helps prevent osteoporosis).

Nov 23 (yesterday) Dr. Campbell reviews two small studies (I know he's so frustrated more aren't being done on larger scale, but I think/hope most here know, and are doing supplements for D here at WS? I was screened for a few years back and told by GP to start taking supplements, wish the general public was educated as to WHY.. as I never was until COVID. )

Short term, high-dose vitamin D supplementation for COVID-19 disease: a randomised, placebo-controlled, study (SHADE study) ... and he also is so disapointed that MSM is not picking up such.

50 patients treated with calcifediol, one required admission to the ICU (2%), no deaths... 26 untreated patients, 13 required admission (50%) to the ICU, 2 deaths.

"It has been observed that vitamin D-deficient individuals have increased COVID-19 risk and mortality" ....."The role of vitamin D in the prevention of coronavirus disease infection and mortality"..." Immunomodulatory role and protective effect of vitamin D against other viral infections" .. etc...

Bottom line (his notes are below video if you don't have time to watch) is that high doses of vitamin D (in the form of calcifediol vs what most of us take as cholecalciferol which has to go through liver to be processed) as soon as admitted to hospital clear the virus more quickly and are less prone to blood clotting complications. And it's consistent to observational correlations studies... yet so little of national recommendations and large scale trials.

He reviews studies, levels etc.

Again, most here at WS have been seeing such since March/April that vitamin D may/is good MOO. And many of us started to take (and especially now within winter in the northern hemisphere.)

That is great information-- have no idea why this medical information hasn't made it to mainstream media

One think I agree with is he is certainly clear on what everyone else must do. Although the rules don’t seem to apply to him. IMO

NY Gov. Cuomo cancels Thanksgiving plans with his mother after backlash

"Do as I say, not as I do," tweeted Republican Rep. Elise Stefanik, who chided Cuomo for his "hypocrisy" and "arrogance."

Cuomo's office then released a statement following the criticism saying he would not be having Thanksgiving with his mother and daughters.

Rules don't apply as to COVID? What has he done against his rules/laws as to COVID?

I didn't see nor hear he broke the law in this link you shared. Just angst with his family to share he's aligning with. (Yes, I listened to the entire link.... can someone do a timestamp of the original interview to make the point in the above post as I don't hear such that "the rules don't apply to him")

What I heard after 14:49...was that he had to work through the situation to make the end decision that his daughter didn't come home, nor with others he wanted to. He was trying to relate his situation is just like many many.

Can you expound as to your point? Is it that it is wrong to even angst and ask and yearn as we all do?

It's so interesting to see through others eyes how they view the same information.

As someone who listened to this entire radio interview...Gov. Cuomo On WAMC's Northeast Report 11/23/20,
and his presser talking about his decision making with his daughter live... etc etc... he perhaps was focusing on the realities and angst that affects him also when he went through the decision making as to the end decision that his mother and daughter could not join him.

Last edited:
Iowa numbers and news today: As of 10:00-11:00 a.m., we had 3,860 new "confirmed" cases for a total of 215,582 confirmed cases of which 119,685 are recovering (+2,878). 19 more were reported to have passed for a total of 2,224. 165 were hospitalized in the last 24 hrs. for a total of 1,351 (+18 1st increase in 5 days). There are 93,673 active postive cases with a 24 hr. postivity rate of 39.4% according to KWWL. Here are the daily age group increases (short 1 total to make numbers match): 0-17: 21,158 (+425); 18-40: 90,957 (+1,354); 41-60: 61,462 (+1,107); 61-80: 32,802 (+712); and 81+: 9,147 (+261). Nov. 24: 3,860 new cases, 2,878 more recoveries, 19 deaths
access Daily case totals updated at 11:00 a.m.
143 Iowa long-term care facilities report COVID-19 outbreaks 24 new long term care outbreaks.
Reynolds says 'Iowa is ready' for COVID-19 vaccine distribution
Iowa 3rd in US for COVID-19 positivity rate

opinion piece ok?
ETA: I didn't realize this had a paywall cause my first view must have been free

In my world, there is a lot of anger — most of it kept professionally hidden.

In emergency rooms and intensive care units across the country, frontline nurses, respiratory therapists and doctors like me have been in danger every day for eight months. Smothered in PPE, we’re doused in coronavirus every day while we take care of the very sick, the worried well and the dying. Some of the dead aren’t patients; some are colleagues, friends and our own families.

We are furious and we are exhausted. And now we face again the flooding of our hospitals.

Op-Ed: On the COVID frontlines, we're tired of hearing lame excuses for risky behavior

Last edited:
One think I agree with is he is certainly clear on what everyone else must do. Although the rules don’t seem to apply to him. IMO

NY Gov. Cuomo cancels Thanksgiving plans with his mother after backlash

"Do as I say, not as I do," tweeted Republican Rep. Elise Stefanik, who chided Cuomo for his "hypocrisy" and "arrogance."

Cuomo's office then released a statement following the criticism saying he would not be having Thanksgiving with his mother and daughters.

He already said awhile ago that he wasn’t going to celebrate with his mom and sisters. But if he grappled with that decision and changed his mind before changing it back, that’s human. However it certainly shows poor leadership. Leaders are supposed to be role models for us and when they waffle, what can they expect from us?

Regardless, it is factual that this virus is out of control and infecting, sickening and killing Americans at such a rapid rate that our health care system is buckling:

ER nurse says some COVID-19 patients still think coronavirus is a hoax: 'How much more real can it get?'

Everyone seems to think the rules apply to everyone but them. I’ve been guilty of that myself.

Hopefully our leaders can do better.

How the hell is that possible? Are they homeless people? Where are their families?
“According to New York City’s Chief Medical Examiner, many of the bodies are people who either couldn’t afford a proper burial or whose families couldn’t be located.”

Could be several things - lack of money, immigrants without any family in the US, next of kin also deceased. :(

apparently with some of them, their family members had died too

This article goes into more detail. I had to disable my blocker to read it. This tragedy shows how quickly systems can be overwhelmed by this pandemic. Everything happened so fast in NYC, and now we are seeing the same thing play out in other places like El Paso. It’s hard to know where it will surge next and prepare for it as we brace ourselves for the next surge after Thanksgiving.

In NYC the backlog resulted because the medical examiners office case load exploded from 20 per day to 200 for a staff of 15. Extra staff hasn’t ended the backlog and they are still trying to track down next of kin for 230 from that period.

In addition, some bodies are still in storage because many families couldn’t afford to bury their relative, even with government help. They are being gently coaxed to allow burial at Hart Island, where the ones without family or whose families are too poor to bury them go.

And as @LadyL pointed out, tragically some family members had died too.

Bodies of COVID-19 victims are still in NYC freezer trucks 8 months after they died

Rules don't apply as to COVID? What has he done against his rules/laws as to COVID?
<RSBM>

Cuomo hasn't done anything wrong that I can see. The family that live locally may have been going to gather with him. His daughter in Chicago was not going to travel. His ruling is 10 people or less for private parties.

Yes, everyone is in the same situation. I'm hoping the grace applies to the PSAT, which my 16yo twins took in October under very trying circumstances.

Hopefully they are applying some balancing measures, to allow for the stress of covid.

Over here, the schools are all taking into consideration the students year-long academic performance when tallying their final exam results. They have already promised that (exams have been sat, results won't be in for a month or so).

During one final exam in another state the system crashed during the exam, so they are going to base all of the results for that subject on year-long academic performance in that subject.

The Year 12 students have all had a trying time with schools being opened and closed for deep cleaning, periods of quarantine, periods of lockdown.

opinion piece ok?
ETA: I didn't realize this had a paywall cause my first view must have been free

In my world, there is a lot of anger — most of it kept professionally hidden.

In emergency rooms and intensive care units across the country, frontline nurses, respiratory therapists and doctors like me have been in danger every day for eight months. Smothered in PPE, we’re doused in coronavirus every day while we take care of the very sick, the worried well and the dying. Some of the dead aren’t patients; some are colleagues, friends and our own families.

We are furious and we are exhausted. And now we face again the flooding of our hospitals.

Op-Ed: On the COVID frontlines, we're tired of hearing lame excuses for risky behavior

I, too, was able to view the article.

"It makes front-liners like me feel as though our work doesn’t matter."

Last edited:
How the hell is that possible? Are they homeless people? Where are their families?

This article goes into more detail. I had to disable my blocker to read it. This tragedy shows how quickly systems can be overwhelmed by this pandemic. Everything happened so fast in NYC, and now we are seeing the same thing play out in other places like El Paso. It’s hard to know where it will surge next and prepare for it as we brace ourselves for the next surge after Thanksgiving.

In NYC the backlog resulted because the medical examiners office case load exploded from 20 per day to 200 for a staff of 15. Extra staff hasn’t ended the backlog and they are still trying to track down next of kin for 230 from that period.

In addition, some bodies are still in storage because many families couldn’t afford to bury their relative, even with government help. They are being gently coaxed to allow burial at Hart Island, where the ones without family or whose families are too poor to bury them go.

And as @LadyL pointed out, tragically some family members had died too.

Bodies of COVID-19 victims are still in NYC freezer trucks 8 months after they died

The answer may have been in another thread, yet is in the link that was posted you responded to.

... Their families may be dead also was major focus for many here reading the article.

Last edited:
The answer may have been in another thread, yet is in the link that was posted you responded to.

... Their families may be dead also was major focus for many here reading the article.

Please clarify your comment @dixiegirl1035. To what answer are you referring? I’m not sure if you’re saying I shouldn’t have posted another article with more details or what. I wasn’t attempting to detract from the major focus of the original article or contradict anyone. I just like to get (and post) the entire story, rather than a possible click-bait headline. I think the fact that families can’t afford to retrieve their loved one’s body for burial is also important in the midst of this tragedy. Or did I miss something? :)
JMO

Governor again sounds alarm on COVID, health care capacity - ABC 36 News

“FRANKFORT, Ky. (WTVQ) – Gov. Andy Beshear reminded residents Tuesday that COVID-19 cases are already surging across the commonwealth and the entire nation and pose a serious threat to the state’s health care system, a threat that could impact residents far beyond the coronavirus pandemic.“

[...]

“”If we don’t stop the escalation, we will exceed our health care capacity…we will run out of doctors and nurses…We won’t be able to compete with what some other states will be able to pay,” he said of the potential bidding war for health care workers from other states.

He also said a problem with enforcing rules and other aspects of checking on the spread of the virus is how workers at health departments in some areas are being treated by those who don’t believe in the virus, masks mandates or related coronavirus issues.

“Health departments are scared, the workers are scared to report their local numbers, scared to do enforcement because of the treatment,” he said, calling the critics “unchristian.”“

Exposed to Covid-19? How long you need to quarantine may soon change.
A shorter quarantine period is likely to include increased testing.

“What the eventual recommendation will be is unknown, but CDC Director Dr. Robert Redfield said in an October briefing that the agency was considering shortening the length of quarantine by up to a week.

At the time, Redfield said researchers were looking at whether "you can use testing during the quarantine to determine if you can shorten the quarantine to seven or 10 days." Without testing, he said, you could miss a percentage of infectious cases.

"Obviously we don’t want people to be quarantined 14 days unnecessarily," Redfield said.“
-more at link

COVID-19: Mayo Clinic Situation Update

Covid-19 Live Updates: Thanksgiving Travel Drops as Americans Rethink Rituals

Holiday travel drops, as Americans rethink a comforting ritual.

Pennsylvania bans booze sales on one of the busiest nights of the year.

Macron says that France is past the peak of the second wave and that shops can reopen on Saturday.

In the first distribution push, 6.4 million doses of Pfizer’s vaccine will be shipped across the U.S.

Britain will loosen most restrictions for a short period to allow people to celebrate Christmas.

For Biden, the start of the transition means his battle against the coronavirus begins.

The organizers of a gigantic Brooklyn wedding will be fined $15,000 for violating pandemic rules.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members