Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #90

Status
Not open for further replies.
What tragic news. May they get to the bottom of it, and her recovery be complete.

I hope they are able to get to the bottom of it as well. With no pre-existing health issues I can’t help but think this is related to Covid.

I have a pit in my stomach thinking about such a young and promising life she had ahead of her. She was a year behind my youngest son in school. Sweet girl.

What tragic news. May they get to the bottom of it, and her recovery be complete.

I hope they are able to get to the bottom of it as well. With no pre-existing health issues I can’t help but think this is related to Covid.

I have a pit in my stomach thinking about such a young and promising life she had ahead of her. She was a year behind my youngest son in school. Sweet girl.

Stunned by some news I received this afternoon about a 28 year old daughter of friends this evening. This afternoon she was found by her husband unresponsive on the bedroom floor. Possible heart attack and/or aneurism. She had covid almost 4 weeks ago. Her family is definitely thinking connection. This girl was gorgeous & smart...getting ready to go into practice with her orthodontic dad. Who knows if they will get to the bottom of it but she didn’t have the first health problem prior to her death, other than Covid. Just sick about this.
Oh my gosh this is horrible news! I’m so sorry for her loss!!

Almost the entire side of my daughter in laws extended family currently has it!
Where from?
Thanksgiving!
The grandpa died today.
Where was my son and grandson on Thanksgiving?
With them!
He offered to stop by at Christmas.
I said I'd rather you didn't. I haven't self isolated since April for no reason and you aren't taking this seriously.
I felt really bad about that!!
Well, now I don't feel so bad.
So far they are not sick, but everyone they were with are!!!
Jeez o Pete!
Moo

Very sorry to hear this. It is so sad. :(

Heart failure in young people is a complication caused by covid.

... since the beginning of the pandemic, a very small subset of young people infected with COVID-19 have developed heart failure.
Twenty-six athletes from Ohio State University with confirmed COVID-19 — who were mildly symptomatic or asymptomatic — underwent heart testing. Nearly 50% showed heart abnormalities, and 15% met the criteria for myocarditis ....
COVID complications: Kids can have heart failure. Symptoms to look for

BBM:
Stunned by some news I received this afternoon about a 28 year old daughter of friends this evening. This afternoon she was found by her husband unresponsive on the bedroom floor. Possible heart attack and/or aneurism. She had covid almost 4 weeks ago. Her family is definitely thinking connection. This girl was gorgeous & smart...getting ready to go into practice with her orthodontic dad. Who knows if they will get to the bottom of it but she didn’t have the first health problem prior to her death, other than Covid. Just sick about this.

Hugs to you and so sorry to hear this, MsArk. :(

Your mention of a possible heart attack brings to mind the possibility of MIS-A, where heart involvement/ myocarditis is often prevalent, as is with MIS-C.

I have made a few posts on the subject, but here is some quick reference.

Delayed acute myocarditis and COVID‐19‐related multisystem inflammatory syndrome
26 October 2020

*note the patient in the above case study suffered myocarditis 4 weeks post covid infection, and was previously healthy, similar to your friend’s daughter.

“A healthy 40‐year‐old man suffered from typical COVID‐19 symptoms. Four weeks later, he was admitted...”

Eta:

Some additional notes from the MIS-C thread:

The Striking Similarities of Multisystem Inflammatory Syndrome in Children and a Myocarditis-like Syndrome in Adults: Overlapping Manifestations of COVID-19

Last edited:
I am so sorry to hear this. A young woman, such a shock for her husband and her family. My condolences.
This virus is so frightening. Unknowns and unexpected effects, even for those who have recovered, and had no underlying health conditions.
I don't understand how certain segments of the population still are so blasé about Covid and precautions.
One never knows with this disease.

Where from?
Thanksgiving!
The grandpa died today.
With them!
I said I'd rather you didn't. I haven't self isolated since April for no reason and you aren't taking this seriously.
Jeez o Pete!
Moo

omg how awful
I hope your son & grandson don't get it

Where from?
Thanksgiving!
The grandpa died today.
With them!
Jeez o Pete!
Moo
Omg! I hope your son and DIL plus grandson are ok!
That’s terrible about her family, especially Grandpa.:(
I hope they get tested just in case they’re asymptomatic.

Where from?
Thanksgiving!
The grandpa died today.
With them!
Jeez o Pete!
Moo

Just hearing this makes me sick.

Ha, I was going to mention this from the last conference, but didn’t get around to it.

From the above link:

“"It appears at present that the destiny of SARS-CoV-2 (the virus that causes COVID-19) is to become endemic," said David Heymann, the London-based chair of the WHO's strategic and technical advisory group for infectious hazards.“

Let me grab/transcribe Dr. Mike’s response. He agreed with David Heymann:

Eta:

1:02:26 - source:

Dr. Mike Ryan: “...I think it’s important we focus on the first objective of the vaccine rollout will be to prevent severe illness, prevent deaths, protect frontline health workers and to protect the most vulnerable people in our society, and we would hope that that protection is offered to health workers and vulnerable people all around the world. So the first and primary objective is to decrease the impact that this disease is having on people’s lives, and therefore that will be a major step forward in bringing the world back to some kind of normal. The second phase is looking at how will this vaccine affect transmission, and Soumya is right, we just don’t know enough yet, about length of protection and other things to be able to absolutely predict that, but I think we should be able to get good control of the virus. A decision then to move towards elimination or eradication of this virus requires a much higher degree of efficiency and effectiveness in the vaccination program and all the other control measures. And we still don’t know based on virus evolution, based on so many other things...the likely scenario is that the virus will become, as David Heymann said previously, another endemic virus, a virus that will remain somewhat of a threat, but a very low level threat, in the context of an effective global vaccination program. It remains to see how well the vaccines will be taken up, how close we get to a coverage level that might allow us the opportunity to go for elimination or eradication, we’ve seen this with polio, we’ve seen this with measles....the existence of a vaccine even at high efficacy is no guarantee of eliminating or eradicating an infectious disease. That is a very high bar for us to get over. First and foremost we have to focus on saving lives, getting good control of this epidemic so our societies can return to normal, then we will deal with the moonshot of potentially being able to eliminate or eradicate this virus, but at this point, based on the tools we have and the knowledge we have, that’s impossible to say at this moment.”

Last edited:
LA County.
LA County on Friday reported 20,414 new confirmed virus cases and 207 additional deaths.

Sheriff Alex Villanueva noted that on average one person in the county was dying of COVID-19 every 10 minutes.

Issues with oxygen delivery systems.
..the pandemic was pushing state hospitals to the “brink of catastrophe” as some medical centers scramble to provide oxygen for the critically ill.
..older medical centers are having difficulty maintaining oxygen pressure in aging infrastructure

California reports 585 coronavirus deaths, new single-day record in state | KTLA
Oxygen supply shortages bedevil SoCal hospitals already overwhelmed by COVID-19 patients | KTLA

Most of us will likely encounter something that will offend us in the rollout of this vaccine. It’s important for the world to unite as much as possible behind the effort. Let’s hang tough. Don’t let naysayers discourage you, please. Let’s watch these vaccines crush the virus.

As to why the record setting cases/deaths in California, there's this (unbelievable, from my point of view - outdoes previous reports of such events):

Super-spreader event in California

This is on the heels of the earlier events involving outdoor but closely-packed, unmasked, vigorous caroling.

I think it's safe to say that we have a group of people who think it's better to get COVID than to get the vaccine. It's a new one for human history, so we'll see how it goes.

^ I think also that there are a lot of people who live in the moment, immediate gratification, with no real thought or concern for consequences. Beautiful day, lets all go to the beach. New Year's eve, party time. Big happening somewhere, let's go have fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member