Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #90

Status
Not open for further replies.
^ I think also that there are a lot of people who live in the moment, immediate gratification, with no real thought or concern for consequences. Beautiful day, lets all go to the beach. New Year's eve, party time. Big happening somewhere, let's go have fun.
Second that. Few people want the virus but they may not want the vaccine either. Can science convince them? It’s a pivotal moment.

Second that. Few people want the virus but they may not want the vaccine either. Can science convince them? It’s a pivotal moment.
Maybe there needs to be more public health education around the possible ramifications of the virus that could happen later as well. It’s not just that you might get a “milder” case and that’s it.

60 residents of luxury Houston high rise are given COVID-19 vaccines — Daily Mail

“Dozens of senior citizens in a luxury high rise in Texas were given COVID-19 vaccines in the state's first wave.

The Montebello condominium complex in uptown Houston boasts marble tile bathroom floors, an outdoor pool, valet parking, a concierge service and a 24/7 security guard, and has condos that can sell for up to $4.8 million.

But thousands of at-risk healthcare workers have been struggling to receive their vaccines due to hospitals quickly running out of supply.

However, a spokesperson for the HHD told the Daily Beast he wasn't aware of any arrangement with the high rise.

'All the distributors have to register through the state health department,' Porfirio Villareal said.

'The apartment complex is not an approved provider. If a site is not approved, not on the list, and receiving shipments of the vaccine, then our recommendation is not to go to that site.”

A friend of mine is the executive director of a high end retirement community (but not nearly as high end as The Montebello). The residents have money, education and are well-informed so you’d think they’d be up-to-date about the vaccine distribution here in Oregon. But she said she has been getting numerous phone calls asking when she is planning to hold a vaccination clinic the way they do for flu vaccine annually. She had to put out a special bulletin for the residents explaining how the distribution will be done, with a link to the Oregon vaccination schedule. As I posted earlier, it will be late spring for seniors living independently...if supplies continue as expected. Our turn will come after health care workers, nursing home residents and essential workers, which is as it should be. The unthinking entitlement surprised me.

^ I think also that there are a lot of people who live in the moment, immediate gratification, with no real thought or concern for consequences. Beautiful day, lets all go to the beach. New Year's eve, party time. Big happening somewhere, let's go have fun.

And that is certainly one way to live (watching the shouting in England about masks; noting the French opposition to vaccines and masks...)

Existing social "norms" may not be in play in some societies that are now so divided (whereas we see other places - like Australia, New Zealand, Japan, South Korea, China, Hong Kong...all much less divided on these issues).

At any rate, in some very rich nations, people have no regard for the cost of public health. They are willing to grab as much of that resource as they can, preferring to live shorter lives (their choice).

It's the harm to others and to resources that balance on the backs of the compassionate and the truly service-oriented people that is a concern.

Plus, every other person who gets an illness or is accidentally injured...suffers. And new mothers and their infants suffer, due to lack of resources.

(Anthropologists have theorized that when we get to close to carrying capacity - this is what's going to happen...)

Maybe there needs to be more public health education around the possible ramifications of the virus that could happen later as well. It’s not just that you might get a “milder” case and that’s it.

The more people who get it, the more mutations there will be (because it's a function of the sheer amount of virus).

So, we are headed down a path of more mutations - therefore some possibility of new forms of CV-19 that are more harmful (or less harmful - but we'll notice the more harmful form, for sure).

The "milder case" people may very learn a couple of things the hard way. Best not to get CV at all, but, well, yes, it's historic. People are actively rejecting the kinds of measures that kept people alive all through the 20th century - they are voting with their feet to reduce their own population.

I'm guessing that various agencies will offer the vaccines to poorer nations around the world - as it should be. And they will take it, because they understand through experience what a virus is.

(We in the US may get there eventually - after 5-10 years).

I don't think "science can convince" anyone who isn't educated. It's a refined more of common sense that takes dialogue and criticism. Each scientist has to submit to the criticism and disproof of every other scientist.

Whereas, ordinary, non-scientists can just say whatever they want and base it either on "common sense" or on "beliefs."

My word of the day I didn’t get to today on the board was supposed to be “replicate”...

Picking up on google “replicate” for a later date but making note:

“1), coronaviruses express and replicate their genomic RNA to produce full-length copies that are incorporated into newly produced viral particles. Coronaviruses possess remarkably large RNA genomes flanked by 5′ and 3′ untranslated regions that contain cis-acting secondary RNA structures essential for RNA synthesis.“

Nature Journal
Coronavirus biology and replication: implications for SARS-CoV-2 | Nature Reviews Microbiology
Oct 28, 2020https://www.nature.com/articles/s41579-020-00468-6

Wrt mutations occuring where there is increased transmission, and the fact that the more time it’s out there circulating, the more time it has to change: This in itself should be a huge wake up call for people. I personally find this aspect terrifying. I’m just not sure how many people actually follow any of this science.

Last edited:
The UK variant has now appeared in 3 US States, as well as in 4 provinces in Canada.
The 4 in San Diego had no known contact with each other, and one has no history of travel.
One case just discovered in Florida also has no travel history.
The cases in Canada are in BC, Quebec, Alberta and Ontario....likely with no connection.

So why is this new strain showing up seemingly willy nilly?
Could it be that these cases were the same mutations rather than spread by transmission?

All along I've been a bit terrified at these mutations myself, when earlier in the year I had read there had already been 17 mutations.

It appears this B.1.1.7 strain is not deadlier, though more infectious, but where could further mutations lead?
Covid variant found in Florida; more cases identified in California

eta....and an entirely new strain in South Africa
South Africa Identifies New, Virulent Strain of COVID-19

Are people just delusional or tired of precautions? I have avoided all shopping for months, until today.

People don't wear masks, even now. They walk in a store wearing one, then boldly put it down on their neck. Usually it is a bandanna, hardly a mask. It is surreal.

The UK variant has now appeared in 3 US States, as well as in 4 provinces in Canada.
The 4 in San Diego had no known contact with each other, and one has no history of travel.
One case just discovered in Florida also has no travel history.
The cases in Canada are in BC, Quebec, Alberta and Ontario....likely with no connection.

So why is this new strain showing up seemingly willy nilly?
Could it be that these cases were the same mutations rather than spread by transmission?

All along I've been a bit terrified at these mutations myself, when earlier in the year I had read there had already been 17 mutations.

It appears this B.1.1.7 strain is not deadlier, though more infectious, but where could further mutations lead?
Covid variant found in Florida; more cases identified in California

eta....and an entirely new strain in South Africa
South Africa Identifies New, Virulent Strain of COVID-19

My guess is B117 is going to blow up in Florida, or more
likely, is already in high circulation there, as it may be in other places. But wrt Florida specifically, there has been minimal, or zero, mitigational measures there wrt bars and restaurants last I saw, and what seems to be a very high amount of younger people gathering at bars, in addition to other aspects, jmo.

I think the headlines for the next few days/weeks will consist of “UK variant found in this State, found in that State, more cases found in this State, more cases found in that State...”, jmo.

Last edited:
My guess is B117 is going to blow up in Florida, or more
likely, is already in high circulation there, as it may be in other places. But wrt Florida specifically, there has been minimal, or zero, mitigational measures there wrt bars and restaurants last I saw, and what seems to be a very high amount of younger people gathering at bars, in addition to other aspects, jmo.

I think the headlines for the next few days/weeks will consist of “UK variant found in this State, found in that State, more cases found in this State, more cases found in that State...”, jmo.
Do you think it was brought here from the UK?
Seems to me the strain is showing up in disparate areas, CO, CA, FL all brought here from the UK? And Canada...Canada is a lot stricter about travel and international arrivals.

Speaking of which....I have a friend whose main home is in Australia (Surfers Paradise), but she has another home in Paris. She just returned to Australia (with a neg Covid test), and to her surprise, everyone on the flight was bussed to a "Quarantine" hotel in Brisbane. She must stay in her room for 2 weeks, and have no contact whatsoever with anyone in person...including staff. Her meals etc are brought to her door. Australia is serious about this.

Seems to me the strain is showing up in disparate areas, CO, CA, FL all brought here from the UK? And Canada...Canada is a lot stricter about travel and international arrivals.

Speaking of which....I have a friend whose main home is in Australia (Surfers Paradise), but she has another home in Paris. She just returned to Australia (with a neg Covid test), and to her surprise, everyone on the flight was bussed to a "Quarantine" hotel in Brisbane. She must stay in her room for 2 weeks, and have no contact whatsoever with anyone in person...including staff. Her meals etc are brought to her door. Australia is serious about this.

To her surprise?

good for Australia
people shouldn't be travelling anyway IMO

That is exactly what this The Guardian opinion piece says ...

Encouraged by their leaders, the US and UK chose instant gratification instead, and will now pay the price.
Thinking back now on how these leaders failed, when according to a colourful chart (the 2019 Global Health Security Index) they had so much going for them, it’s hard not to be reminded of the marshmallow experiment. If you aren’t familiar with this classic test of a child’s ability to delay gratification, watch this YouTube video posted by the Canadian newspaper the Globe and Mail.

The UK and the US need to learn from countries that better handled Covid-19 | Laura Spinney

Yes, she wasn't informed until arrival. She knew she would have to quarantine for 2 weeks, notwithstanding her negative Covid test, but expected it to be at home.
Now I wonder whether there was actually a possible situation on the flight. ?

No. No possible situation on the flight. It is absolutely 100% normal. ALL incoming travellers - no matter where you are coming from, or how many negative tests you have - go into medi hotels for 14 days here. Straight from the plane.

I am sure that it would have been in the fine print somewhere in her travel documents. She would have had to apply for special permission to get a repatriation flight here - they are the only kind of incoming passenger flights we are allowing.

We tried home quarantining, initially. It doesn't work very well. Too many people have their own idea on what quarantine means. It does not mean pop out to the shops because you ran out of milk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member