Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #91

Status
Not open for further replies.
But disinfecting the White House, which has already been the epicenter of three different COVID-19 outbreaks, won’t protect the building’s residents from future flare-ups. Because the coronavirus doesn’t live long on surfaces, this kind of power wash is more like hygiene theater—a ritual meant to make people feel safer without actually reducing risk. The real key to guaranteeing the future health and well-being of White House staff is relatively simple: The incoming administration needs to require mask wearing and social distancing on the grounds.

A Deep Clean Won’t Keep the White House Safe From COVID-19

Biden picks transgender woman as assistant health secretary

A graduate of Harvard and of Tulane Medical School, Levine is president of the Association of State and Territorial Health Officials. She’s written in the past on the opioid crisis, medical marijuana, adolescent medicine, eating disorders and LGBTQ medicine.

Last edited:
COVID-19: Scotland lockdown extended until at least the middle of February, Nicola Sturgeon announces

Scotland's lockdown will be extended until at least the middle of February, Nicola Sturgeon has announced.

The first minister said that despite COVID-19 case numbers having "stabilised and even declined", any relaxation of the rules while infection rates remain high could "quickly send the situation into reverse".

Schools, which were meant to emerge from lockdown at the start of next month, will also remain closed along with nurseries to all those apart from vulnerable children and those of key workers until mid-February.

Good News

Israel may be starting to show 'herd effects' of Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine, expert suggests

upload_2021-1-19_14-4-46.png
Coronavirus vaccination in Israel.

Israel's reproduction number appears to have declined rather sharply in recent days, with around 25% of the country vaccinated, and some additional percentage having at least partial immunity via prior infection.

Israel has vaccinated at least 25 percent of its population against the coronavirus so far, which leads the world and makes it "the country to watch for herd effects from" the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine, says infectious disease expert David Fishman. Recently, the case rate in Israel appears to have declined sharply, and while there could be a few reasons for that, it's possible the vaccination effort is beginning to play a role.

I don't know why they're so touchy. After all, viruses have traditionally been named after the region where they were first discovered, such as the Ebola virus that originated along the Ebola river in the Congo, West Nile virus that was first discovered along the Nile in Uganda, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, because ticks in the Rocky Mountains first carried it.

China's just odd, and their human rights are despicable. They bear a big responsibility for blocking the WHO's attempts to investigate until now (although, I'm glad they finally acquiesced) and the international community should hold them responsible for the deceit, which, undoubtedly caused the virus to spread rather than allowed the world to try and contain it from the beginning. A lot of blood is on their hands for their role in not getting the word out from the get-go.

It could be the same reason that the US doesn't like to think of the 1918 pandemic as the "US" virus or the "Kansas" virus. Poor Spain got saddled with the title instead ... because they were the first to admit that the virus was in their country.

Which is why I always make it a point to call it what it was, the 1918 pandemic.

The 1918–1919 influenza pandemic killed more people than any other outbreak of disease in human history.
That review suggests that the most likely site of origin was Haskell County, Kansas, an isolated and sparsely populated county in the southwest corner of the state, in January 1918.
The site of origin of the 1918 influenza pandemic and its public health implications.

Arizona has adopted the CDC's recommendation that people 65+ be included in the current tier for vaccinations
My county, Maricopa has not

There are state run vaccination sites, and county run vaccination sites
I can only seek a vaccination slot at the state run sites, because I'm under 75years old
By a hair;)

Tomorrow at 9am is when the state run sites open up to 65+ people
So many stories on local news that it is very difficult to navigate or have success whether trying online or by phone
But I'm going to give it a go

ADHS making more COVID-19 vaccine appointments available Tuesday, adults 65+ eligible to register
https://www.abc15.com/news/coronavi...ilable-tuesday-adults-65-eligible-to-register

So if you all could cross your fingers and maybe say "Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Boo" a couple of times at 9am Arizona time...:D

Update:
The magic worked!
Vaccination appt on Feb 13

I spent all day with no success
Either the website pages wouldn't load, or I'd pick an available slot and in the second it would take me to press the confirm button, the slot would no longer be available

I think the key to my eventual success was choosing a date furthur out

I assume some here are watching the Nationwide COVID-19 Memorial tonight as it is a part of the Biden-Harris Inauguration.. at the head of the reflection pools.

May the memories of all be in your memory..

Thank you @dixiegirl1035 .

What an absolutely beautiful scene.

xx1.JPG xx1.JPG

I am so pleased that this was done for all the victims and their families. I am sure that, although it is grief-filled for them, they are grateful for the recognition.

Last edited:
This is concerning:

Yet another concerning COVID variant increasingly found in California, researchers say

The variant, called L452R, is different than the B117 variant that was first reported in the UK and caused lockdowns in that country. Not much is known about L452R, but since November, genetic sequencing of COVID-19 samples indicates its prevalence is growing in California. Dr. Charles Chiu of UCSF called it “concerning.”

It also might explain why things have gone downhill so fast in CA recently.

Cody noted that there’s no evidence at this point that the variant produces more dangerous symptoms.

The variant is not brand new, and was first detected in California in May, Chiu said. However, the rapid growth in prevalence appears to have happened in recent months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288