Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #93

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fox News is known for reporting that confirms its biases without providing nuance. So here are two stories about this situation to broaden our understanding a bit.

Some hypocritical faux outrage by Governor Abbott, blaming illegal immigrants for spreading Covid, when he has just opened up the whole state. The positivity rate is lower among the immigrants than in the TX population.

After Lifting Covid Restrictions, Gov. Greg Abbott Claims Undocumented Immigrants Are Spreading Virus In Texas

“The Biden Administration is recklessly releasing hundreds of illegal immigrants who have COVID into Texas communities,” Abbott tweeted.

One day after Texas Gov. Greg Abbott (R) eliminated most of his state’s coronavirus restrictions, the governor claimed immigrants released into his state by federal authorities are helping to spread the virus.
<snip>
The governor’s office did not offer any evidence for the claim, but he might be referring to reports from Telemundo and Fox News this week on migrants who were released into the border city of Brownsville who subsequently tested positive for the virus (an Abbott spokesperson did not respond to a request for comment).

Brownsville spokesperson Felipe Romero told Forbes 108 migrants tested positive after being dropped off in his city between Jan. 25 and March 1, or just over three per day, a positivity rate of 6.3% — he told Telemundo these migrants were advised to quarantine.

By comparison, Texas as a whole has reported around 294,000 confirmed coronavirus cases between Jan. 25 and March 1, and in recent days, the state has averaged about 4,800 daily cases at a positivity rateof just under 9%.
———————-

That being said, on the other hand, I would like to know why the Customs and Border Patrol is not testing and holding immigrants who test positive instead of dumping them on Brownsville where they don’t have the power to retain them.

After Border Patrol release, asylum-seekers test positive for Covid in Brownsville, Texas
The city of Brownsville administers these rapid tests at the bus station, after migrant families are released by the Border Patrol. A spokesperson for Brownsville confirmed that, since they began doing these tests Jan. 25, 108 migrants have tested positive for Covid-19, which is 6.3 percent of those who took the test.

Noticias Telemundo Investiga asked Customs and Border Patrol about the release of migrant families and Covid-19 testing. A spokesperson said in an email that CBP personnel conduct initial inspections for symptoms or risk factors associated with Covid-19 and consult as appropriate with onsite medical personnel, the CDC or local health systems.

Suspected Covid-19 cases "are referred to local health systems for appropriate testing, diagnosis, and treatment," according to CBP.
Do you see how it’s possible that both actions here are contributing to the spread of covid? Abbott’s order to do away with the state mask mandate will inevitably contribute to spreading covid. Biden’s refusal to control covid positive illegal immigrants from coming into the country will also inevitably spread covid. The two actions are IMO both idiotic.

My state is going to be the first to start with the Astra Zeneca vaccines that are rolling out here in Australia ... starting tomorrow. Our 2nd type of approved vaccine now.

Really happy to see my country getting going with vaccinations now. Finally, the lifting of our border restrictions is starting to be seen on the horizon. :)

The next lot of Astra Zeneca is going to roll off our own production line in Melbourne (this first batch was imported). And we won't have to compete for the Pfizer - or any - vaccines any more.

Frontline staff in regional SA town to be first in nation to get Oxford-AstraZeneca COVID jab

Do you see how it’s possible that both actions here are contributing to the spread of covid? Abbott’s order to do away with the state mask mandate will inevitably contribute to spreading covid. Biden’s refusal to control covid positive illegal immigrants from coming into the country will also inevitably spread covid. The two actions are IMO both idiotic.
The immigrants are more likely to catch the virus in the US than where they came from.

Joe Biden criticized Republican governors of Texas and Mississippi on Wednesday, calling their decisions to end state-wide mask mandates “a big mistake”.

The US president said the country was on the “cusp of being able to fundamentally change the nature of this disease” with the distribution of vaccines and added: “The last thing we need is Neanderthal thinking that in the meantime, everything’s fine.”

Public health officials have also expressed disapproval of US states that are lifting mask mandates and reopening businesses.

“We’ve been very clear that now is not the time to release all restrictions. The next month or two is really pivotal,” Dr Rochelle Walensky, director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said.

She warned: “Today we are at a critical nexus in the pandemic. So much can turn in the next few weeks.”

Biden accuses Republican governors of 'Neanderthal thinking' over plans to reopen

The immigrants are more likely to catch the virus in the US than where they came from.

Yep.

Texas is lifting its mask mandate, making it the largest US state to no longer require one of the most effective ways to slow the spread of the coronavirus.

The announcement in Texas, where the virus has killed more than 43,000 people, rattled doctors and big city leaders who said they are now bracing for another deadly resurgence.

One hospital executive in Houston said he told his staff they would need more personnel and ventilators.

Only California and New York have reported more COVID-19 deaths than Texas.

Texas becomes biggest US state to ditch mandatory mask wearing

If a single illegal immigrant who tests positive to Covid is knowingly released to possibly spread the virus to innocent people in States far away from Texas it's just not right in my opinion. From your link.

Exactly!
Ask my friend, who lost both her parents to Covid within two weeks of each other, if it's ok that sick illegal immigrants are traveling around on buses, across the country and exposing everyone in their way.
And being referred by the CDC to a clinic for treatment is not a guarantee of anything. I could refer them back to their home countries for treatment.

I agree with you. I don’t think anyone should enter the country testing positive, legally or illegally, and be allowed to roam around the country without being forced to quarantine, as was done with the the cruise passengers early on. Other countries have been strict about this, but not the U.S. Why not? Ask former President Trump. And now this is a mess President Biden will have to address. Of course getting U.S. residents who test positive to quarantine is an even bigger challenge.

Incidentally @coffeeandacig, it is the CBC (border patrol), not the CDC that is not testing and is referring people who may be sick to clinics. CBC is who really should be testing, rather than dumping people on Brownsville or any other border community to test without the power to prevent travel. The Border Patrol clearly does have the power to prevent people with Covid entering from Mexico from traveling or send them back, whether they are legal or illegal. I hope President Biden addresses this issue with the Border Patrol ASAP.

But honestly, it seems disingenuous to me to be outraged over 180 illegal immigrants in Brownsville since January 25 who have tested positive and have been allowed to travel when the Governor of Texas has a higher positivity rate in TX than the illegals had AND has opened up his state against the advice of the CDC and scientists who are experts on Covid transmission. This outrage is way out of proportion to the problem. It can’t be just about Covid transmission, but more about illegal immigrants and by extension President Biden, who has worked like crazy to put a lid on this pandemic and get us all vaccinated. JMO

I’m truly sorry about your friend who lost both her parents @coffeeandacig. That’s awful. :( I do hope her focus would not narrowly home in on what has happened in Brownsville, but rather on what has happened for the past year, leading to her parents being among almost 516,000 dead today (per Johns Hopkins).

Fox News is known for reporting that confirms its biases without providing nuance. So here are two stories about this situation to broaden our understanding a bit.

Some hypocritical faux outrage by Governor Abbott, blaming illegal immigrants for spreading Covid, when he has just opened up the whole state. The positivity rate is lower among the immigrants than in the TX population.

After Lifting Covid Restrictions, Gov. Greg Abbott Claims Undocumented Immigrants Are Spreading Virus In Texas

“The Biden Administration is recklessly releasing hundreds of illegal immigrants who have COVID into Texas communities,” Abbott tweeted.

One day after Texas Gov. Greg Abbott (R) eliminated most of his state’s coronavirus restrictions, the governor claimed immigrants released into his state by federal authorities are helping to spread the virus.
<snip>
The governor’s office did not offer any evidence for the claim, but he might be referring to reports from Telemundo and Fox News this week on migrants who were released into the border city of Brownsville who subsequently tested positive for the virus (an Abbott spokesperson did not respond to a request for comment).

Brownsville spokesperson Felipe Romero told Forbes 108 migrants tested positive after being dropped off in his city between Jan. 25 and March 1, or just over three per day, a positivity rate of 6.3% — he told Telemundo these migrants were advised to quarantine.

By comparison, Texas as a whole has reported around 294,000 confirmed coronavirus cases between Jan. 25 and March 1, and in recent days, the state has averaged about 4,800 daily cases at a positivity rateof just under 9%.
———————-

That being said, on the other hand, I would like to know why the Customs and Border Patrol is not testing and holding immigrants who test positive instead of dumping them on Brownsville where they don’t have the power to retain them.

After Border Patrol release, asylum-seekers test positive for Covid in Brownsville, Texas
The city of Brownsville administers these rapid tests at the bus station, after migrant families are released by the Border Patrol. A spokesperson for Brownsville confirmed that, since they began doing these tests Jan. 25, 108 migrants have tested positive for Covid-19, which is 6.3 percent of those who took the test.

Noticias Telemundo Investiga asked Customs and Border Patrol about the release of migrant families and Covid-19 testing. A spokesperson said in an email that CBP personnel conduct initial inspections for symptoms or risk factors associated with Covid-19 and consult as appropriate with onsite medical personnel, the CDC or local health systems.

Suspected Covid-19 cases "are referred to local health systems for appropriate testing, diagnosis, and treatment," according to CBP.
Not the same
I didn’t say they were the same. They are, however, both problematic in terms of spreading covid. Surely you aren’t trying to suggest knowingly releasing known covid positive illegal immigrants into the US poses no risk of spreading covid?

My comment was in reference to illegal immigrants who present in the US and test positive upon arrival. The ones in the article referenced aren’t catching covid in the US, they’re infected when they test upon arrival.

As for being more likely to catch covid in the US vs where they came from, nobody is forcing them to enter the US illegally.

This article discusses how incredibly complicated the whole situation at the border is and explains how Covid is one of many factors. So to say that Biden is “refusing” to keep Covid positive illegal immigrants from coming into the country is not exactly accurate. It appears to be more a case of dealing with a lot of moving parts that can’t all be fixed at once because of a domino effect that could end up causing more problems. So hardly “idiotic.” More like rational and carefully considered. Whereas a blanket “opening it all up” by Abbott with no consideration for the effects it will have, not only in TX but nationwide, is the easy way out and truly is idiotic.

I will say that the percentage of illegal immigrants who have tested positive (referencing this article) is far less than the percentage of positive cases we have inflicted on ourselves by refusing to comply with reasonable restrictions. So again IMO the outrage over illegal immigrants carrying Covid around the country is really just outrage over illegal immigrants that is dressed up in a new disguise. JMO

Feb 4, 2021
U.S. releasing hundreds of Central American families from increasingly busy custody

This article discusses how incredibly complicated the whole situation at the border is and explains how Covid is one of many factors. So to say that Biden is “refusing” to keep Covid positive illegal immigrants from coming into the country is not exactly accurate. It appears to be more a case of dealing with a lot of moving parts that can’t all be fixed at once because of a domino effect that could end up causing more problems. So hardly “idiotic.” More like rational and carefully considered. Whereas a blanket “opening it all up” by Abbott with no consideration for the effects it will have, not only in TX but nationwide, is the easy way out and truly is idiotic.

I will say that the percentage of illegal immigrants who have tested positive (referencing this article) is far less than the percentage of positive cases we have inflicted on ourselves by refusing to comply with reasonable restrictions. So again IMO the outrage over illegal immigrants carrying Covid around the country is really just outrage over illegal immigrants that is dressed up in a new disguise. JMO

Feb 4, 2021
U.S. releasing hundreds of Central American families from increasingly busy custody
I personally don’t consider knowingly allowing any positive travelers, legal or not, into the US as “rational and carefully considered” but we all have an opinion on lots of things and mine isn’t any more or less valid than the next persons. I know plenty of people who believe there should be no restrictions whatsoever on immigration, so it’s not surprising that some see no problem with allowing known positives into the country to do as they please.

As for lifting the mask mandate, as someone who lives in Texas, it seems bizarre to me to be honest. It feels like it came out of left field, and nobody I’ve talked to had any expectation that masks would go away anytime soon. Why anyone thought this was a good idea at this point is beyond me. Numbers here locally for me are way down, which is incredible.... but it seems stupid to me to not continue doing what you know got us to these lower numbers while we continue to vaccinate folks. The ditching masks defies all logic IMO and thankfully I’ve not seen any business or location locally that I frequent intending to actually ditch requiring masks.

Feb 4, 2021

I dunno, Lilibet. I sense there is a lot more to this story.

Just a few weeks ago they were sending little children back to Honduras, against orders.

Now they are letting in covid positive people (and telling media about it).

I think there is an issue with the Border Forces. They seem to be acting blatantly obstructive and senseless, to me.
And, of course, it will all be being blamed on the chief executive who is trying his hardest to get covid under control in the US.

I personally don’t consider knowingly allowing any positive travelers, legal or not, into the US as “rational and carefully considered” but we all have an opinion on lots of things and mine isn’t any more or less valid than the next persons. I know plenty of people who believe there should be no restrictions whatsoever on immigration, so it’s not surprising that some see no problem with allowing known positives into the country to do as they please.

As for lifting the mask mandate, as someone who lives in Texas, it seems bizarre to me to be honest. It feels like it came out of left field, and nobody I’ve talked to had any expectation that masks would go away anytime soon. Why anyone thought this was a good idea at this point is beyond me. Numbers here locally for me are way down, which is incredible.... but it seems stupid to me to not continue doing what you know got us to these lower numbers while we continue to vaccinate folks. The ditching masks defies all logic IMO and thankfully I’ve not seen any business or location locally that I frequent intending to actually ditch requiring masks.

I respect your opinion @nightowl1975, and I think we are in more agreement than disagreement. :) I will leave it at that because my recovering Covid-brain is tired. o_O

My state is going to be the first to start with the Astra Zeneca vaccines that are rolling out here in Australia ... starting tomorrow. Our 2nd type of approved vaccine now.

Really happy to see my country getting going with vaccinations now. Finally, the lifting of our border restrictions is starting to be seen on the horizon. :)

The next lot of Astra Zeneca is going to roll off our own production line in Melbourne (this first batch was imported). And we won't have to compete for the Pfizer - or any - vaccines any more.

Frontline staff in regional SA town to be first in nation to get Oxford-AstraZeneca COVID jab

The true success story you are. Lower economic impact by keeping it under control, and the vaccine you are buying is the one that is sooooooo cheap. IIRC, $3.00 for Oxford/AZ vs Moderna $27 and Pfizer was above $20 also.

Last edited:
I dunno, Lilibet. I sense there is a lot more to this story.

Just a few weeks ago they were sending little children back to Honduras, against orders.

Now they are letting in covid positive people (and telling media about it).

I think there is an issue with the Border Forces. They seem to be acting blatantly obstructive and senseless, to me.
And, of course, it will all be being blamed on the chief executive who is trying his hardest to get covid under control in the US.

I hadn’t thought of that @SouthAussie and you could be right. I guess it will all get sorted out. Other than the possibility of deliberate obstruction by CBC, in the larger Covid picture of 518,000 dead here, I’m not too worried about illegal immigrants spreading Covid when we are our own worst enemies in that regard. I have no idea whether we got Covid from an Oregon resident or an illegal farm worker, but I’d be inclined to think it was from a legal resident.
JMO

Numbers don't matter...Peoples lives are not numbers.
I do think numbers matter. Let’s say this virus had been one that killed one in a million who contracted it. Yes, that one life per million cases is a tragedy and if it was someone I loved, it wouldn’t much matter that the death rate was “only” one in a million.

However, the public and government response, resources dedicated to the virus, willingness to shut down the economy, etc is going to be drastically different depending on numbers. That’s just reality.

The true success story you are. Lower economic impact by keeping it under control, and the vaccine you are buying is the one that is sooooooo cheap. IIRC, $3.00 for Oxford/AZ vs Moderna $27 and Pfizer was above $20 also.

Astra Zeneca vac is also easier to store. I saw them (on TV) putting boxes of it into a fridge in our regional hospital where they will commence vaccinations of it tomorrow.
It is a really big deal for this little country zone, and they are super happy to be getting the vaccine attention so early in the piece. It is a bit of a retirement community, so I see the sense in vaccinating them quickly.

The vaccine can be stored, transported and handled at normal refrigerated conditions (2-8 degrees Celsius/ 36-46 degrees Fahrenheit) for at least six months and administered within existing healthcare settings.
AZD1222 vaccine met primary efficacy endpoint in preventing COVID-19

Last edited:

<snip>

———————-

I, too, think Customs and Border Control needs to have a place to quarantine these people if they test positive. It's not like they have a house where they can go to like the rest of us. I have a sister-in-law in south Texas, and she said one of the biggest problems is that they've never had the facilities they needed to house large numbers of people--not for many years--so they're always struggling to put them somewhere.

It just seems counterproductive not to quarantine people who test positive. Maybe our laws don't allow for forced quarantine, but can't we figure out a way to put up some temporary facilities and use them for voluntary quarantine? When there's a disaster, like a tornado, the Red Cross brings in temporary modular housing. Can't they do that here?

Everything we hear about the situation down there is always so politicized, it's hard to know what's actually happening.

I, too, think Customs and Border Control needs to have a place to quarantine these people if they test positive. It's not like they have a house where they can go to like the rest of us. I have a sister-in-law in south Texas, and she said one of the biggest problems is that they've never had the facilities they needed to house large numbers of people--not for many years--so they're always struggling to put them somewhere.

It just seems counterproductive not to quarantine people who test positive. Maybe our laws don't allow for forced quarantine, but can't we figure out a way to put up some temporary facilities and use them for voluntary quarantine? When there's a disaster, like a tornado, the Red Cross brings in temporary modular housing. Can't they do that here?

Everything we hear about the situation down there is always so politicized, it's hard to know what's actually happening.

Lack of quarantine facilities may be why Customs and Border Control doesn’t actually test anyone. They seem to just check for symptoms and temperature and if it seems like Covid they refer them to a clinic. They may or may not test positive at the Brownsville bus station, but by then they can’t be held and quarantined. So it seems that a total revamp is necessary, creating facilities for quarantine and giving tests right away by CBC. But the fact that illegal immigrants are allowed to disperse tells me that there aren’t adequate facilities to hold any of them. It’s not an easy fix IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆