Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #93

Discussion in 'Coronavirus - Covid-19' started by Amonet, Jan 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LadyL

LadyL Well-Known Member

2. SouthAussie

SouthAussie Where sunbeams shine

They are saying this morning that some doctors are saying their govt payment of $24 for giving the first jab and $31 for giving the second jab will make vaccinations 'unviable' for them.

Source: Ch7 News

Seeing that a nurse in their offices will be giving the jabs (usual practise), I think those doctors will get on board ... otherwise I can see the defence forces may help out even further.

Sprockett7701, GRT, Lilibet and 2 others like this.
  3. 24Roses

24Roses Well-Known Member

4. SouthAussie

I am not sure that the experts will be wrong .. even Dr Osterholm has weighed in.

"At 2.9 to 3 million doses of vaccine a day over the next six to 14 weeks, when this surge is likely to happen, is not going to really take care of the problem at all"

Just one month ago, B.1.1.7 made up around 4% of coronavirus cases in the US, among those that have undergone genomic sequencing. "Today, it's up to 30 to 40%," Osterholm told NBC on Sunday. "And what we've seen in Europe, when we hit that 50% mark, you'll see cases surge."

US coronavirus: Don't drop the masks yet. One variant is 'increasing exponentially' - CNN

5. SouthAussie

The Dalai Lama, the Tibetan spiritual leader, received his first shot of the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine on Saturday in the northern Indian town of Dharamsala. :)

“This injection is very, very helpful,” the 85-year-old, a leader of Tibetan Buddhism, said in a video message after the inoculation, indicating that he hoped his example would inspire more people to “have courage” to get themselves vaccinated for the “greater benefit.”

The Dalai Lama Receives His First Dose

CrimeAway, JaneEyre, 303gmf and 9 others like this.
  6. tabitha111

tabitha111 Well-Known Member

7. ilovewings

ilovewings Well-Known Member

Problem is too many people don't care: we are all here on WS aware of the states that have opened up and are living life like there is no pandemic: they are endangering all of us, but they simply don't give a chit!!!! that is the bottom line

8. ilovewings

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
  9. ilovewings

10. RANCH

RANCH United we stand, divided we fall

Is it finally safe for California to reopen? It’s happening fast, despite lingering risks
    Is it finally safe for California to reopen? It's happening fast, despite lingering risks

11. SouthAussie

12. LadyL

LadyL Well-Known Member

13. Lilibet

Lilibet Watching & Waiting

This sounded really promising on 60 Minutes. If I understood the doctor who tried it on the racetrack workers, a doctor can use a drug “off label” as he did. So I wonder if someone who tests positive with risk factors could persuade their doctor to prescribe it, while still doing the FDA approved monoclonal antibody treatment.

This link is a transcript of the 60 Minutes segment.
    Finding a possible early treatment for COVID-19 in a 40-year-old antidepressant
    Sharyn Alfonsi: Did you feel like you were placing a bet on these patients at all?

Dr. David Seftel: No, because I weighed the risk and reward. And in this particular circumstances, strong biochemistry, great initial clinical results, minimal downside. I felt I had to act.

Dr. Seftel's decision to use a prescription drug off-label is an accepted medical practice – with patient consent. The most common side effect of fluvoxamine is slight nausea.

Sharyn Alfonsi: How many of them ended up taking the fluvoxamine and what was the outcome?

Dr. David Seftel: Sixty-Five patients elected to take fluvoxamine. Forty-eight declined. 12.5% of all those who refused fluvoxamine ended up hospitalized and one died. In the group that did take fluvoxamine, none of them were hospitalized.

Once again - none of the covid patients taking fluvoxamine deteriorated.

Sharyn Alfonsi: Could it have been a fluke?

Dr. David Seftel: I don't believe so. You cannot influence a virus that is as wily and as wicked as COVID with a fluke.

14. Lilibet

Lilibet Watching & Waiting

15. SouthAussie

LadyL, weepingangel, dmac55 and 10 others like this.
  16. SouthAussie

I think it would be great if they could pin down some low cost therapeutics. So this virus could be treated like the cold or flu instead of as the deadly virus it can be.

So compromised people could go for their annual covid shot, and OTC (and/or prescription) meds could dampen the symptoms and stop any escalation.

17. Gibbo214

Gibbo214 Well-Known Member

She is 29 and has been a 'nurse' for ten years? Where do you become a fully qualified nurse at 19 years old?

18. GRT

GRT Well-Known Member

And many people simply don't keep up. If they turn on the nightly news and hear that their state mask mandate has been lifted, they feel safer, so they take more risks than they otherwise would.

roche.analisa, LadyL, Sundog and 6 others like this.
  19. ilovewings

Thanks for posting some of the particulars---- They are doing another trial on a larger scale to see if it shows the same results as the smaller trial, which was very encouraging for use of this drug. I like the doc's description of this virus as "wily and wicked"-- it surely is!!!!!

20. ilovewings

She may be a "damn good nurse' but her thought process is irrational when it comes to masking-- something as simple as a piece of cloth over your mouth to keep germs from projecting out of your mouth --and thus protecting others and yourself, becomes an issue for which she is ready to lose her job!!! I don't get it, I really don't.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.