Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #93

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watching hearing.

I'm seeing folks that are not wearing masks on the bridge or their noses, but down low where it doesn't protect. I think many folks think wearing this way are not educated as to how to wear a mask... and think they are wearing correctly.

We see here so many folks saying "I wore mask"... etc etc and it spread... but if they are wearing as shown below, NO! WRONG!

More education is needed as many folks don't understand there must be 100% against skin and not an opening when they wear them low.

It amazes me that folks don't understand how to correctly wear masks but I see it so so so commonly. How do we educate folks to SEAL off at bridge of nose etc.

This is too common MOO for folks.

Are they ignorant? Rebelling?

Screenshots are from live Senate hearing..

View attachment 285714 Correct on left, wrong on right as to not against skin at bridge to shut out and ensure all air goes through mask

View attachment 285715
Watching hearing.

I'm seeing folks that are not wearing masks on the bridge or their noses, but down low where it doesn't protect. I think many folks think wearing this way are not educated as to how to wear a mask... and think they are wearing correctly.

We see here so many folks saying "I wore mask"... etc etc and it spread... but if they are wearing as shown below, NO! WRONG!

More education is needed as many folks don't understand there must be 100% against skin and not an opening when they wear them low.

It amazes me that folks don't understand how to correctly wear masks but I see it so so so commonly. How do we educate folks to SEAL off at bridge of nose etc.

This is too common MOO for folks.

Are they ignorant? Rebelling?

Screenshots are from live Senate hearing..

View attachment 285714 Correct on left, wrong on right as to not against skin at bridge to shut out and ensure all air goes through mask

View attachment 285715

I agree- too many people don't have the mask over their nose-- I never say anything but it is really a risk to all of us

If I walk into a store here (Latvia) and my mask has slipped under my nose - the guard at the entrance will tell me to cover up. I've had cashier tell me this too. Glasses get quite foggy up when I first walk into stores.

But I still do see people wearing their masks under their noses, but they will probably get reminded by someone in the store! :)

I’ve all but tuned Fauci out.

Fauci’s mixed messages, inconsistencies about COVID-19 masks, vaccines and reopenings come under scrutiny

National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) Director Anthony Fauci's often inconsistent comments and mixed messages on the coronavirus pandemic are prompting renewed scrutiny as debate rages over reopening schools and businesses nearly a year after the lockdowns started.

"Dr. Fauci is a very good public-health official. His job is to advise policy makers and inform the public," Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Fla., said on Tuesday. "But his job is NOT to decide what we can do, where we can go or which places can open or close And his job is NOT to mislead or scare us into doing the 'right things.'"

"Why should we trust Fauci with a national plan? Back in March, Fauci famously told Americans, 'There’s no reason to be walking around with a mask,'" wrote David Harsanyi in the National Review. "(Fauci now says we should wear two masks. No thanks, Dad.)"

I can't help but feel the same way for all the reasons I already shared. I know Fauci has a cult-following and I respect the opinions of others, but all my Spidey senses go on high alert when he starts talking. Something deep in my gut tells me he's out for himself and only himself.

I hope I'm wrong, and if Fauci would publicly denounce gain of function testing I'd feel warmer toward him. But, as it is, I think he's just playing to the camera.

I'm not going to lie and say I trust the guy, because I don't.

Will Humble, executive director for the Arizona Public Health Association, points to three major reasons for the decrease.

“Number one is that we’ve infected 20% of people and about 10% of people have a vaccine, so that’s 30% of the population who’s got antibodies right now"

Humble believes the drop in new cases – and especially hospitalizations – also has to do with higher-risk populations getting vaccinated.

“The third thing is that the intra-family spread that happened from all the partying and everything around Christmas and New Year’s has now run its course through families,” he said.

Health expert gives 3 reasons why Arizona’s COVID numbers are falling.
Health expert gives 3 reasons why Arizona’s COVID numbers are falling

I can't help but feel the same way for all the reasons I already shared. I know Fauci has a cult-following and I respect the opinions of others, but all my Spidey senses go on high alert when he starts talking. Something deep in my gut tells me he's out for himself and only himself.

I hope I'm wrong, and if Fauci would publicly denounce gain of function testing I'd feel warmer toward him. But, as it is, I think he's just playing to the camera.

I'm not going to lie and say I trust the guy, because I don't.

From whom, instead of Fauci, are you getting your advice and information? Now that covid has been around for a year, there is a pretty consistent message about covid from all scientific and medical sources. Is there another epidemiologist that you heed?

Ben has an update for us today re his old friends etc. Q&A's

He's still paying rent on his apartment that has all his furniture in Wuhan!... much more.

(For those that weren't here with us early on, he was the first we followed in January/Feb to learn what was actually going on in Wuhan last year.)

I've been referred to a long covid clinic over here. I'll update on the other thread when I have more info.
So sorry you are going through this HongKongPhooey!!
I’ve been positive as well and well I can’t say I have long COVID I am very tired and have no stamina and don’t feel I’m at my best.

Last edited:
As a newly retired RN with many years' experience with infectious diseases and definitely mask- wearing, I'd like to weigh in, just as a person, not a " voice of authority".

-IF you lived through the years when Polio was active, then the vaccines were made available to you, you learned as a child that vaccines can save your life. Polio vaccines were not that safe at first, but parents lined up for blocks and blocks with a baby, a toddler, or multiple children to get vaccinated. Our parents had known children who died. Had seen children with permanent walking assistance devices as a side effect. Knew families who lost their child to the iron lung, where they'd live out their lives in a facility.

- COVID is as close to a modern Polio outbreak as a totally different disease can be in prevalence, pervasiveness, and randomness of infection when all the distancing, masking, and handwashing measures are being followed. The difference is that COVID follows the usual distribution, and Polio mainly made little children sick or killed them.

- Wear your masks ( throw away disposables after one use and wash your cloth masks well after each use), wash your hands often and well ( there are You Tube videos that teach how to correctly wash hands for children and adults.
Maintain social distancing, even if it means you walk away from someone who's a loved one you do not live with who's too close to you. I wouldn't advise this if the person is a LE officer in official capacity, but all other people.

-Stay home if you have a fever or cough, or lose your sense of smell, and get tested for COVID. If positive, stay home until you have no symptoms and have a negative test.

About masks: I hope it's OK that I mention a retailer. Amazon now has the exact same masks that I wore for many years as part of Isolation Protocols. I bought a box of 50 for around $15. I can't see or feel any difference in these and the big boxes of masks I used when a patient had active TB or another extremely dangerous infection. We did what needed to be done for the sick person or people, we never questioned, and we never got sick. We used our PPE correctly and we washed our hands very often. The masks I've bought recently are paper disposable one use only masks with an adjustable nose piece and what I consider to be a long nose to chin coverage.

Why am I posting now? Because my appointment for my first vaccine is in the AM, and I felt moved to post about the practical things that shouldn't be matters of contention, but common practical sense.

Mostly, if you have not been vaccinated, stay out of crowds, even if you're wearing a mask.
There is risk in living every day. I came close to dying last week when my state was without electricity, food, water, and ice kept us in our homes, come what may. It gave me a whole new perspective on the value of going out safely with 2 rounds of vaccine for COVID and a fresh mask correctly applied and used.

Blessings to all, and hope for a world free of this virus that does kill. 500,000 Americans gone from the virus in just over a year is so tragic. Be a part of the number who lives.
Do common sense things every time. Spend 20 extra seconds or less and wear a clean mask correctly until we can safely discontinue them by orders of the CDC and the President or each state's governor- it may vary.
NO one person has 100% of all the accurate answers people ask.
NO one person is THE authority or THE enemy.
Try not to believe conspiracy theories.

Stay well. I care about my fellow posters' well-being.

I came close to dying last week when my state was without electricity, food, water, and ice kept us in our homes, come what may.

God Bless you SJ. Glad you overcame the climate stuff. Hope Covid doesn't take you after all you overcame.

So sorry you are going through this HongKongPhooey!!
I’ve been positive as well and well I can’t say I have long COVID I am very tired and have no stamina and don’t feel I’m at my best.
It may well be long covid Mary. There are a few different versions and I believe I probably have "post viral fatigue". Also v tired with no stamina here. Look after yourself and see how it goes, I hope you feel better soon.

As a newly retired RN with many years' experience with infectious diseases and definitely mask- wearing, I'd like to weigh in, just as a person, not a " voice of authority".

-IF you lived through the years when Polio was active, then the vaccines were made available to you, you learned as a child that vaccines can save your life. Polio vaccines were not that safe at first, but parents lined up for blocks and blocks with a baby, a toddler, or multiple children to get vaccinated. Our parents had known children who died. Had seen children with permanent walking assistance devices as a side effect. Knew families who lost their child to the iron lung, where they'd live out their lives in a facility.

- COVID is as close to a modern Polio outbreak as a totally different disease can be in prevalence, pervasiveness, and randomness of infection when all the distancing, masking, and handwashing measures are being followed. The difference is that COVID follows the usual distribution, and Polio mainly made little children sick or killed them.

- Wear your masks ( throw away disposables after one use and wash your cloth masks well after each use), wash your hands often and well ( there are You Tube videos that teach how to correctly wash hands for children and adults.
Maintain social distancing, even if it means you walk away from someone who's a loved one you do not live with who's too close to you. I wouldn't advise this if the person is a LE officer in official capacity, but all other people.

-Stay home if you have a fever or cough, or lose your sense of smell, and get tested for COVID. If positive, stay home until you have no symptoms and have a negative test.

About masks: I hope it's OK that I mention a retailer. Amazon now has the exact same masks that I wore for many years as part of Isolation Protocols. I bought a box of 50 for around $15. I can't see or feel any difference in these and the big boxes of masks I used when a patient had active TB or another extremely dangerous infection. We did what needed to be done for the sick person or people, we never questioned, and we never got sick. We used our PPE correctly and we washed our hands very often. The masks I've bought recently are paper disposable one use only masks with an adjustable nose piece and what I consider to be a long nose to chin coverage.

Why am I posting now? Because my appointment for my first vaccine is in the AM, and I felt moved to post about the practical things that shouldn't be matters of contention, but common practical sense.

Mostly, if you have not been vaccinated, stay out of crowds, even if you're wearing a mask.
There is risk in living every day. I came close to dying last week when my state was without electricity, food, water, and ice kept us in our homes, come what may. It gave me a whole new perspective on the value of going out safely with 2 rounds of vaccine for COVID and a fresh mask correctly applied and used.

Blessings to all, and hope for a world free of this virus that does kill. 500,000 Americans gone from the virus in just over a year is so tragic. Be a part of the number who lives.
Do common sense things every time. Spend 20 extra seconds or less and wear a clean mask correctly until we can safely discontinue them by orders of the CDC and the President or each state's governor- it may vary.

Thank you so much for your post @SeekingJana. Words of wisdom. I’m so glad you survived the horrible weather and aftermath. Happy retirement! :)

If I walk into a store here (Latvia) and my mask has slipped under my nose - the guard at the entrance will tell me to cover up. I've had cashier tell me this too. Glasses get quite foggy up when I first walk into stores.

But I still do see people wearing their masks under their noses, but they will probably get reminded by someone in the store! :)

I've been able to reduce the foggy effect on my glasses by pulling my mask up a tad higher and then putting my glasses on top of it. It kind of blocks the breath from coming out upward.

The other day, I saw the first person in months who wasn't wearing her mask--she had it hanging from one ear while she talked on her cellphone. We were in the grocery store.

I didn't say anything but I gave her a hard look.

Thank you for that well-written and heartfelt post. I'm so impressed by the way you come across--professional, knowledgeable, and yet not judgemental or bullying.

You're the kind of person I want for a spokesperson for staying safe. Maybe it's all your years of nursing, or maybe it's just your personality, but you know the right way to say the right thing.

Best of luck on your first vaccine today!

A doctor needs training to give the correct amount of vaccine?

I was just reading the Pfizer instructions. Each vial needs to be diluted with a certain amount of another substance (that Pfizer doesn't provide). After the dilution, the vial will provide up to six doses.

https://www.fda.gov/media/144413/download

Apparently, the doctor didn't read the required training manual and now may be up for malpractise.
A very on-the-ball nurse noticed the errors and reported them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23