Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #97

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quite an interesting ABC (Australia) article."

It's understandable to be confused about exactly what sort of protection you'll get from a COVID-19 vaccine.

Plenty of people have contacted the ABC with questions – how come we're hearing about vaccinated people getting COVID? Won't a vaccine stop me getting it? If I'm vaccinated, can I still give it to my family? And if I'm vaccinated and I do get COVID, just how sick will I get?

What can be confusing is that the vaccines do lots of things and aren't perfect.

And to make it more confusing, vaccines work in a certain way when most of the population get them – but that's different to how they work if only some people get them"

Let's break it down.

So you're vaccinated? Great! Here's how it changes things for you

Family reunion in Sunriver leads to breakthrough COVID cases | kgw.com

“A woman from Portland, Oregon has said 21 out of 29 people—13 of whom were vaccinated—who attended a family reunion have tested positive for COVID-19.

Niki Marienburg told KGW-TV, a Portland-based television news station, that family members from across the country attended the reunion at Sunriver Resort, a luxury resort in Central Oregon, for 10 days in June. She said most of her family was vaccinated, and no one wore masks throughout the reunion.”

13 out of 29 people were vaccinated.

I think the story says that 13 of the 21 who tested positive had been vaccinated. So I guess that means 8 people who tested positive had NOT been vaccinated. Unclear how many who did not test positive had been vaccinated... and looks like there were children there under 12.

Anyway, good grief! Especially the part about some of the people having to be hospitalized.

I think the story says that 13 of the 21 who tested positive had been vaccinated. So I guess that means 8 people who tested positive had NOT been vaccinated. Unclear how many who did not test positive had been vaccinated... and looks like there were children there under 12.

Anyway, good grief! Especially the part about some of the people having to be hospitalized.

The article doesn't mention how long it had been since they were vaccinated. I wonder if the family members had been vaccinated too close to the date of the family reunion so that they hadn't had time to develop a strong response.

The article doesn't mention how long it had been since they were vaccinated. I wonder if the family members had been vaccinated too close to the date of the family reunion so that they hadn't had time to develop a strong response.
Some of them were immunocompromised so they probably didn't develop good antibodies to begin with. Regardless, seems like delta can break through the vaccines, so mass maskless gatherings is not a good idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
When they say help you sign in I think they mean help you first to sign in on your phone. Then a last resort is that they sign you in, since they took the paper sheet away.

The paper sheet that was at my local pharmacy has now gone and there's a sign to ask a staff member for help signing in. They can sign you in
on their computers.

Whenever I've had to sign in on the paper sheet I've always used my own pen.
But still sanitised my hands after from possibly touching the paper.

When they say help you sign in I think they mean help you first to sign in on your phone. Then a last resort is that they sign you in, since they took the paper sheet away.

It's as though De Santis has forgotten how covid is transmitted. Does Florida not have a public health authority? Something so serious should never be left up to political leaders.

Interestingly, Florida Health only recommends wearing a mask if you are sick, or caring for a sick person.
There is no mention of wearing one to protect yourself against the virus in any other situation. Or to wear one if you are unvaccinated.

If you are sick, wear a facemask around other people.

Why? When someone coughs or sneezes, they spray small liquid droplets from their nose or mouth, which may contain the virus. If you are not able to wear a facemask (for example, because it causes trouble breathing), then cover your coughs and sneezes. People caring for you should wear a facemask around you.

What do I do if I’m sick?

Last edited:
Alternatively, I wonder if some of the breakthrough cases were in vaccinated individuals who got their vaccines early on when they first became available. If they’re a family with healthcare workers who had some of the earliest eligibility, they would be 7 months out from their initial vaccine, 6-ish months from being fully vaccinated.

I suspect we are going to see shortly that a third dose is recommended if you got Pfizer/Moderna, and a dose of Pfizer/Moderna if you got the J&J one shot deal.

I can easily believe it in many of the southern states.
Very few mask wearers besides myself.

Covid disappears until a parent, sibling, child, neighbor, best friend gets it.

In the past week I personally know 4 people (fully vaccinated) who tested positive.
One I just found out today.
All are younger than myself with no known health issues. Not elderly. Two have mild symptoms that are manageable with meds and two are in ICU on a ventilator.
Kind of gets your attention.
JMO
The two on ventilators were young, fully vaccinated w/no health issues? :eek:

Why some vaccine holdouts are changing their minds

BERKELEY, Mo. — Charlotta Brooks had gone to four funerals in the past three weeks for loved ones who died from COVID-19. She lost her 81-year-old grandma as well as two cousins and her son’s godmother, all in their 40s.

“Right around my age,” said Brooks, 43.

Last Wednesday, Brooks walked four blocks from her home in Berkeley to the walk-in vaccination clinic at the John C. Murphy Health Center, headquarters for the St. Louis County Department of Health, and got her first dose.

She had been afraid to get the vaccine, having heard claims it was risky and that she could end up in an emergency room. But after seeing family members sickened from COVID-19, she sought information from her church leaders and friends who work in nursing homes and dentist offices. They encouraged her.
“If they got it, I should go ahead and get it, too, to prevent getting COVID-19 or giving it to someone else,” Brooks said.

The two on ventilators were young, fully vaccinated w/no health issues? :eek:
47/52
Vaccinated May
No cardiac/lung/diabetes issues prior to hospitalization that we knew. It’s possible there were undiagnosed underlying health issues. The flow of information is sporadic without a family member able to be with them in the hospital.

Well, thank goodness for this! This is our version of negative Murdoch owned media that is trying to gain a foothold in Australia.

Sky News Australia has been banned from uploading content to YouTube for seven days after violating its medical misinformation policies by posting numerous videos which denied the existence of Covid-19 or encouraged people to use hydroxychloroquine or ivermectin.
YouTube has not disclosed which Sky News program the videos were from but said there were “numerous” offending videos which have now been removed.
Sky News Australia banned from YouTube for seven days over Covid misinformation

Well, thank goodness for this! This is our version of negative Murdoch owned media that is trying to gain a foothold in Australia.

Sky News Australia has been banned from uploading content to YouTube for seven days after violating its medical misinformation policies by posting numerous videos which denied the existence of Covid-19 or encouraged people to use hydroxychloroquine or ivermectin.
YouTube has not disclosed which Sky News program the videos were from but said there were “numerous” offending videos which have now been removed.
How bizarre that they would on one hand deny covid exists but on the other hand recommend people take two medications well-known for being discussed at length in the media in the last 12-15 months as possibly being used to treat covid.

I mean… why would one need to take two random medications off-label for a virus that they claim doesn’t exist? Bizarre, indeed.

Yay way past time too!

Please let us know where you are. It is hard to believe that any area of the US is not worrying and thinking about this. Far northern states--east to west-are experiencing less (to date) but it is still hard to believe there is so little discussion of what is so heated up across the nation.

My little county in central Kansas has yet to see the brunt of Delta, but it's only a matter of time.

I've been keeping a close eye because my mother fell and broke her hip a few weeks ago and she's currently in a swing-bed unit in the local hospital. Masks are always required for visitation, but when she was first admitted, only two people, per-day, were allowed to visit. Now, as many can visit as desired, but the mask regulation is strict.

I've explained to her that with the growing number of cases, the hospital could soon take stricter visiting measures again, so she needed to be prepared for that eventuality. But, as I walk to her room, I keep looking to see if the other rooms are filling up. Right now, the hospital is virtually empty, which is probably why they're letting my mom stay there instead of transferring her to a nursing home.

At some point, probably in the next couple of weeks, my mom probably will be transferred and then, I'm wondering what the rules will be at the nursing home. I know that last year, no visitors were allowed, except they could stand out in the courtyard and try to yell through closed glass windows at their loved ones. I'm hoping it wont come to that, since we've all been vaccinated now.

Only time will tell. Right now, I'm one of very few who still wears a mask.

Alternatively, I wonder if some of the breakthrough cases were in vaccinated individuals who got their vaccines early on when they first became available. If they’re a family with healthcare workers who had some of the earliest eligibility, they would be 7 months out from their initial vaccine, 6-ish months from being fully vaccinated.

I suspect we are going to see shortly that a third dose is recommended if you got Pfizer/Moderna, and a dose of Pfizer/Moderna if you got the J&J one shot deal.

I'm in the same place as you. I am hearing of a number of folks getting Covid all around me.... I do know of some who are vaccinated, but do not know which vaccine or what date they received doses.

I feel that we will be hearing info that reflects how many months out from shots results in more chance to catch covid.

I was so happy to get the vaccines early, having had the first one in January of 2021. But now, 7 months out. We shall see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohbeehaave