Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #97

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh dear! We had those issues too and I'm sorry to see you having them. You guys have done such a good job!

The media outlets hype and sensationalize conspiracy theories, and certain mindsets are prone to believing them.

How do we stop that without total censorship?

Last time it happened here (when Melbourne was locked down for 3 months) they eventually just shut up, because I think they realised they werent going to win their stupid battle. They are such a minority here ... and all they do is extend the lockdowns for everyone when they risk spreading the virus.

They are like the little kid in school who keeps getting in trouble for disrupting class, until the little kid is given after-school detention and then they learn.

As everyone here tells them, you can believe what you want ... but you have to follow our rules for keeping everyone safe.

Last edited:
Last time it happened here (when Melbourne was locked down for 3 months) they eventually just shut up, because I think they realised they werent going to win their stupid battle. All they do is extend the lockdowns for everyone when they spread the virus.

They are like the little kid in school who keeps getting in trouble for disrupting class, until the little kid is given after-school detention and then they learn.

As everyone here tells them, you can believe what you want ... but you have to follow our rules for keeping everyone safe.
It's all just so difficult isnt it? There is so much controversy here about our being thrown to the lions (how it feels) approach. It seems our politicos have decided that the pattern of lockdowns, furlough, families separated and - repeat - just isnt sustainable. They are probably right on many levels but it doesnt help us to feel safe.

It's all just so difficult isnt it? There is so much controversy here about our being thrown to the lions (how it feels) approach. It seems our politicos have decided that the pattern of lockdowns, furlough, families separated and - repeat - just isnt sustainable. They are probably right on many levels but it doesnt help us to feel safe.

The alternative, for us at the moment, is needless deaths. Families who will lose a cherished loved one. I think most of us don't mind the restrictions if we can prevent that from happening.

Once we can increase our vaccination levels, I am sure our approach will change. There are nowhere near enough people here vaccinated yet.
People just need to have patience. Which seems especially hard for the minority of younger ones who have other beliefs.

I feel sorry for our cops. They are people, too, and they don't need to be dealing with this stupid risky stuff.

Last edited:
God. I HATE this killer virus. It has turned our entire world upside down.
I am so angry about who or what idiots chose to play around with a virus that would kill millions of people that I can hardly even express my anger.
No Country has any right to kill absolutely innocent people who are just minding their own business.
Yeah. I'm furious.
I want to know HOW this curse virus was released upon this world.
I am not into "Just get over it and move along".
All Countries should be up in arms and as angry as I am and hunt down the mass murderers who have killed 4 million innocent people and climbing deaths daily.
Jmo. Passed off to the maximum opinion.

We don't yet know if it was caused by "idiots playing around with a virus," but there's a chance that happened.

According to a majority of scientists, however, it likely jumped from an animal to humans. Investigations are underway, but it may be years until we find out--unless they pinpoint the animal before then.

China's behavior leaves a lot to be desired--just two days ago they again refused to comply with a WHO request. Even if the Chinese lab is innocent, they're making themselves look bad, so that's naturally going to gin-up suspicions.

But, this didn't have to come from a Chinese lab--if it turns out to be chimeric--it could have come from a US lab.

Whether it's zoonotic or chimeric, I'd like to see an international ban at this point on GoF research.

The alternative, for us at the moment, is needless deaths. Families who will lose a cherished loved one. I think most of us don't mind the restrictions if we can prevent that from happening.

Once we can increase our vaccination levels, I am sure our approach will change. There are nowhere near enough people here vaccinated yet.
People just need to have patience. Which seems especially hard for the minority of younger ones who have other beliefs.

I feel sorry for our cops. They are people, too, and they don't need to be dealing with this stupid risky stuff.

The young always have a sense of immortality--of nothing being able to hurt them.

That feels a whole lot like what's happening here. Elected officials know people were stretched to a snapping point, and they want to be reelected so they'll do anything to keep those lockdowns/mandatory masks from happening again.

We may all pay for their decisions.

<RSBM>
But, this didn't have to come from a Chinese lab--if it turns out to be chimeric--it could have come from a US lab.

Whether it's zoonotic or chimeric, I'd like to see an international ban at this point on GoF research.

I have really mixed feelings about GoF research.

On the one hand I feel like you, that it is really dangerous.

On the other hand, what do we do when the next SARS, or Covid-19, comes along and we don't have any defense at least partially prepared? We were somewhat lucky this time, there was enough prep that vaccines could be released fairly quickly.

Last time it happened here (when Melbourne was locked down for 3 months) they eventually just shut up, because I think they realised they werent going to win their stupid battle. They are such a minority here ... and all they do is extend the lockdowns for everyone when they risk spreading the virus.

Yes, that's pretty much the mentality--that of a little kid that's disruptive.

Here, it was the same, only the word, "communism" was being thrown around. Or, "fascism." Take your pick. They were so angry.

Now, of course, it's eased due to relaxed restrictions, but now we're seeing Delta spread like wildfire, and the anger is shifting to the other side.

That feels a whole lot like what's happening here. Elected officials know people were stretched to a snapping point, and they want to be reelected so they'll do anything to keep those lockdowns/mandatory masks from happening again.

We may all pay for their decisions.
And if we are "ahead" with the vaccinations too, it shines a light on the reality. Even with a relatively v high percentage of people having them, the case numbers are still rocketing. It will help when our 20s are fully jabbed (majority on jab #1 so far) but arguably, there is still a case for restricted society measures.

So for our friends in Australia, who are behind the vaccine curve but thankfully making good progress, their strict measures could well be a v longterm thing with Delta and other variants.

My parents I think are a good case in point. As nervous as they are, and I am, they just dont feel they can lose another year to their four walls. At the end of the month a family member is taking them out on their boat for a day on the river near Oxford. I said that sounds lovely, enjoy it. What can you say, really?

I have really mixed feelings about GoF research.

On the one hand I feel like you, that it is really dangerous.

On the other hand, what do we do when the next SARS, or Covid-19, comes along and we don't have any defense at least partially prepared? We were somewhat lucky this time, there was enough prep that vaccines could be released fairly quickly.

I know. It's a double-edged sword, to be sure.

Right now, I just don't think the labs are capable of containing the viruses without risk of them getting out.

Over the past months, I've read so many opinions from scientists who are either supportive or not supportive of the research.

There seems to be a big split between the two objectives.

If scientists were required to live on lab premises for the duration of a specific experiment, and then stay in isolated quarantine for a couple of weeks longer, they might be able to negate most of the threat.

It's just that right now, we're seeing a lot of lab accidents (thankfully, without devastating results) for me to think they're prepared to keep us safe from GoF.

Louisiana
More at links
Gov. Edwards: Louisiana is in fourth surge — urges masks, testing

Louisiana has 1,008 people hospitalized with COVID, up from 240 just a few weeks ago. There are 82 people on ventilators, and that is up from 65 just a day ago. And, the number of tests that are positive is 8.9 percent. Edwards said he expects that number to be over 10 percent by next week.

“We have the tools to prevent this from happening,” he said, but he added, “Even though Louisiana has the fastest growing trajectory of any state in the country, we’re ordering only 10 percent of the vaccine doses available to us.”

He said that was due to the lack of demand.

“That has to change and it has to change now.”

Louisiana mom holds vaccine drive at funeral for son who died of COVID

A Louisiana mother held a vaccine drive at the funeral of her son who died of COVID-19 after refusing to get vaccinated.

Brandon Antoine passed away from the virus aged 46 in Baton Rouge on June 9.

His mother, Betty Antoine, begged him to get the vaccine before he contracted the virus, though he refused.

Now she is hoping other families do not go through the same tragedy, and used her son's funeral as an opportunity to get others in her community vaccinated.

Delta variant raises fear and vaccination numbers | wwltv.com
JEFFERSON PARISH, La. — Across the city, the demand to get a COVID vaccine has jumped. People said it's the fear of catching the Delta variant.

You may remember Wednesday, Ochsner doctors told us requests for COVID vaccines are increasing by 10 to 15 percent.

And now several other vaccine sites and drug stores are seeing that same higher demand.

People have a few reasons they are being persuaded to get the vaccine now.

When the Ochsner three-day vaccine clinic opened its doors Thursday morning, 20 people were waiting in line. Jacqueline Lumpkin said it was convenience and delta variant surge that persuaded her.

“I heard a lot of stuff in the media and the President, so I was like, ‘OK, it's time,’” said newly vaccinated Jacqueline Lumpkin.

A 24-year-old man who works in the mall said he waited until now because he wanted to see first if others got side effects.

“Because I feel like the medicine is better now than when it first come out,” said the just-vaccinated man who did not want to give his name.

A special-needs teen got his vaccine because his mom wanted him to be safer in school. He sang a Stevie Wonder song to calm his injection anxiety as the nurse gave him his vaccine.

NFL
Patriots' Joe Cardona says everyone in the NFL has a 'responsibility' to get COVID vaccine

Patriots long snapper Joe Cardona is calling for his fellow players along with coaches and staffers to get the COVID-19 vaccine.

“The NFL has taken a firm stance that will have massive implications to individual players,” Cardona said, via ProFootballFocus’ Doug Kyed. “Ensuring every single player in the league is afforded the opportunity to earn every paycheck for which they are eligible is extremely important. As athletes, our time horizon for earning income is already volatile enough with factors we can control, let alone this new policy.

“That being said, any member of an NFL locker room has a duty to keep teammates, coaches, support staff and fans safe and healthy. That responsibility should be an impactful incentive all on its own to encourage everyone to get vaccinated, irregardless of financial consequences.”

NFL teams face potential forfeits for COVID-19 outbreaks
NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell warned the 32 teams Thursday in a memo obtained by The Associated Press that no games would be rescheduled under such circumstances. Instead, forfeits could happen.

Number of NFL players in vaccination process up to 80 percent
The number of NFL players in the COVID-19 vaccination process has reached 80%, with nine teams having 90% or more of their players in that category.

Dr. Allen Sills, the league’s medical director, said Friday that nearly all Tier 1 and Tier 2 team employees — those who deal directly with players — have been vaccinated. Five teams are at less than 70% of players who have either received one vaccination shot or both. He is optimistic the number of vaccinated players will continue to rise as training camps open.

“I think we are off to an excellent start,” Sills said. “Those numbers are much higher than what we’re seeing in society as a whole.”

Sadly, those are becoming famous last words for too many people.

I was really hoping for public service messages that were able to cut through the conspiracy theories and convinced those who are not convinced.

The last thing I wanted was an angry response that drew lines in the sand, but that's what's beginning to happen. People are becoming very upset at what is, basically, a mindset that could potentially up-end all the efforts we've made to date getting vaccinated.

It's hard to know how to proceed. We can continue to create newer vaccines to cover the variants, but if we have a large percentage of people who won't take them, this isn't going to end until the virus just plays itself out, and millions more will die before that can occur.

I know it's easy to say I don't care about those who die because it's basically their own fault, but in reality, I do care--because they are more than just the sum of their poor decisions. They're still our fellow human beings.

I'm disappointed in the CDC because they dropped the ball, and governors and local leaders followed their advice.

JMOO -- our only chance to beat this virus is to convince our skeptical friends and neighbors to get the jab. But, how do we do that?

It would help if the FDA got off their butts and officially approved these vaccines: I think many people who are hesitant would get the vaccine if it was actually approved by the FDA and in addition to that hospitals and other business entities would be able to mandate the vaccine for their employees. The FDA is taking way too long for this approval.

no then it’s “too quickly approved” ugh
No link- I know the numbers were recently linked here - looks like most of the currently unvaxxed by choice will never or probably never get it anyway- hoping I’m remembering that correctly

It would help if the FDA got off their butts and officially approved these vaccines: I think many people who are hesitant would get the vaccine if it was actually approved by the FDA and in addition to that hospitals and other business entities would be able to mandate the vaccine for their employees. The FDA is taking way too long for this approval.

Sigh. I think that I am going to dig out my masks for next week.

This is the bummer. We, vaccinated, have no choice but to bring back the masks. Thats freedom for you. I am feeling very comfortable wearing a mask again though... I do feel safer.

Individual freedom trumps community freedom for all, now.

As I initially posted some weeks ago, Dr. O stated, after changing from a weekly podcast format to a biweekly format, that IF the need arises to reassume a weekly format, CIDRAP WILL be here for us and they WILL go back to a weekly podcast format instead of biweekly if necessary.

Well, as promised, we are now back on a weekly format.

Osterholm Update: COVID-19
Episode 61: Divided by Delta
July 22, 2021
In this episode, Dr. Osterholm and guest host Cory Anderson discuss the global and national impact of the Delta variant, address misinformation about vaccines, discuss mixed messaging that has challenged public health, and answer a listener question about seasonality.

‎The Osterholm Update: COVID-19: Episode 61: Divided by Delta on Apple Podcasts

ETA: Dr. O sees no evidence that this infection has anything to do with “seasonality” - he has been saying this for a while, citing South America as an example.

ETA2: Dr. Gottlieb has mentioned seasonality quite a bit.

(Yes we are indoors more in the winter)

ETA3: Dr. G appeared on a podcast recently and has a new book out. Marking spot, zzz gnight

Wish we could get DeSantis to hear this....... he totally contradicts.

I don’t dispute what you say but I was sat with my hubby and son in a booth , a few feet away from the next booth and what I don’t understand is why Olly with bottle of cola and a slice of lime/orange got it quite bad for his age and dad , my ex husband was on pints and he got it but just felt a bit yukky for a couple of days then done , yet I have been soooo bad . I have just said to my friend that it’s a good job I’m not living in America with a loaded gun in my house because I seriously think that I would have pulled the trigger on myself, that’s how bad it has been x

Thank you sooooo much for letting us live through this with you. Some things ARE strange.... the onset so specifically. I have not heard that, and I hope you get some answers along the way.

Have you communicated with the pub? Are there other stories from that night that compare to what you went through?
I forget if the UK is doing any contact tracing... I doubt it since the pubs are open full steam, but maybe, just maybe, there is another case coming from the pub that relates to you..

How double-jabbed PIERS MORGAN caught Covid in Wembley chaos — Daily Mail

Piers Morgan has revealed that he caught Covid. during the crowd chaos that marred Wembley's Euro Championships final - despite being double-jabbed.

In a powerful account for tomorrow's Mail on Sunday, the 56-year-old broadcaster - one of the strongest critics of the government's pandemic policies - describes how the virus triggered a raging fever, chills and violent coughing and sneezing fits before leaving him exhausted and fearful of what might be to come next.”

Well duh, vaccinated doesn’t mean you won’t get it - especially unmasked and no social distancing in a large crowd.

I’m scratching my head that anyone thinks they “won’t get it because I’m vaccinated” and is indoors in close proximity to other people with no masks.

Florida Leads U.S. in Covid-19 Cases as Hospitalizations Surge

Florida leading the United Stats in cases - Delta variant surge. This is from Wall Street Journal for which I do not have a subscription. The first few sentences though tell you everything you need to know why this happening. No masking, no preventive measures- Florida got away with all of this until Delta came along, which is so highly transmissible. Apparently DeSantis and his cronies don't care about the hospitalization and deaths of Floridians, or he/they would do something about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member