Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #99

Discussion in 'Coronavirus - Covid-19' started by Amonet, Jan 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jjenny

jjenny Well-Known Member

Pfizer seems to have gotten a lot of data indicating immunity from it wanes. Moderna-not so much (immunity from it seems to be waning more slowly than from Pfizer). Who knows, maybe that's the issue. Moderna also wants to decrease the dose in half for its booster. FDA might think that was not adequately tested.

2. ilovewings

ilovewings Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info. makes sense. I believe the 2nd shot of Moderna contained a larger dose than Pfizer (from my recollection)- maybe that is why they think patients only need a half dose for a booster.

3. 10ofRods

10ofRods Verified Anthropologist

I'm guessing a lot of the fully vaccinated are over 60 - and they are 6 months out or so. It's very concerning.

Wish the CDC would make up its mind about boosters. I am thinking I'm going to get one this weekend, will let you know how it goes. The only thing the CDC is considering is whether to make the 3rd dose smaller than the first two.

4. CrimeAway

CrimeAway Well-Known Member

I agree. Obviously, (because we're generally a clued-up bunch here):

No vaccine is 100% effective!

Immune function tends to decline with age.
    Aging and the immune system: Can it be reversed?

Aging, Immunity, and COVID-19: How Age Influences the Host Immune Response to Coronavirus Infections?

There is not a *certain* known, or estimated, number of antibodies and/or memory B and/or T cells that provide lasting and/or durable protection against Sars-cov-2, whether that be measured against
    1) infection
    2) symptoms of illness
    3) severe illness
    4) hospitalization
    5) death.

There will of course be individual differences in immune responses to vaccination. (IMO).

Until more studies are done, we won't know exactly what levels of various immune cells are needed for protection (IMO).
    Also, according to the experts I have listened to, antibodies tend to rise, then peak and wane after any vaccination, but hopefully/usually memory (B&T) cells remain (JMO)

Understanding How Vaccines Work | CDC

Some of these concepts are addressed in the first hour of This Week In Virology #799

5. JerseyGirl

JerseyGirl Forum Coordinator Staff Member Forum Coordinators

roche.analisa, Lilibet and LaborDayRN like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.