Coronavirus - Global Health Emergency, 2019-nCoV #3

Discussion in 'Coronavirus - Covid-19' started by Amonet, Jan 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. margarita25

margarita25 I like taking naps with my dog

While I agree and also wonder why they don’t have a mask on, technically, for the record, US and Canadian officials have stated that wearing a mask is for the purpose of keeping you, if you are infected, from passing it on to someone else.

Obviously health workers in China are wearing hazmat gear, and medical professionals wear masks so why aren’t these people?

Some officials have commented on how wearing a mask gives some people a (false) sense of security.

My opinion on the subject I’d want to wear a mask if I was directly handling or in proximity to a sick individual. I would expect medical professionals to do so also.

2. JudgeJoe

JudgeJoe Well-Known Member

Following... My heart is breaking too. My daughter studied in Hong Kong last spring & had a marvelous experience. Her college has a campus there & study abroad has been disrupted, yet continuous despite protests. But now this. Winter term students were required to return home after 3 weeks.

So many colleges have study abroad programs throughout China. All those campuses shut down. Faculty & staff out of work. Business catering to students dead. The economic losses will be overwhelming.

coastal, gitana1, Bravo and 10 others like this.
  3. Medstudies

Medstudies # I Can’t Breathe- justice for all

remember the “boy in the bubble” ? Yea, we need bubbles for everyone. Until everything is decontaminated...

4. dotr

dotr Well-Known Member

Canadian Scientists Pioneer Mask That Kills Viruses In Mere Minutes
    ''A mask that kills instead of blocking harmful pathogens has been developed:
    At first glance, the salt mask, which did not look much different from a normal face mask, was a biomedical engineer at Alberta University in Canada. Developed by Hyo-Jick Choi. These masks, which were proved to prevent the spread of 3 different influenza viruses before, thanks to the salt coating inside, were also the subject of an article published in Scientific Reports magazine in 2017.''
    ETA
    Maybe having one of those pretty salt rock lamps couldn't hurt!
    [​IMG]
    Live Science

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
    galiuro1, Bravo, Hatfield and 12 others like this.
  5. JaneEyre

JaneEyre Mean people suck.

Question about hand sanitizer. Because I do animal rescue, I have a bottle in every room, in every car, etc. Because I’m environmentally conscious, I buy the big bottles (like quart size) to refill smaller bottles with. But this stuff does expire. Since my little bottles are old (one said 2007), I have to just guess when the last sanitizer that I refilled it with expired. Probably a good idea to dump all and refill with fresh at this point with what’s going on.

But really, DOES rubbing alcohol and hand sanitizer actually become ineffective? I’ve always wondered what that means with rubbing alcohol. It sure looks and smells the same when it’s past its expiration. But does it actually become ineffective?

KALI, Bravo, Hatfield and 12 others like this.
  6. dotr

dotr Well-Known Member

Does hand sanitizer really expire?
    ''To work, though, research has shown that these products must consist of at least 60 percent alcohol. If the alcohol concentration is any lower, the sanitizer will not kill off all the germs. In fact, studies seem to show that faulty gels — ones with less than this amount of alcohol — seem to mobilize the germs, spreading them around the hand instead of killing them.

In your case, the bottle of sanitizer your colleague gave you initially exceeded the 60 percent threshold. But as you probably know, alcohol is a highly volatile liquid. That means that it evaporates quickly when exposed to the air.

Although the sanitizer remains in a container where exposure is minimal, it's not airtight. So the alcohol in the gel will evaporate. The expiration date printed on your container was the manufacturer's best estimate of when evaporation would bring the alcohol content below the 60 percent level.''

7. dotr

dotr Well-Known Member

China virus death toll surges past 800, as infections mount
    ''Sunday, February 9

China health body warns against excessive use of protective suits
    China's National Health Commission called for the "reasonable use" of protective suits in a statement on Sunday and cautioned against "excessive and disorderly" use of the clothing that would waste resources and could also increase infection.

The statement was issued as China faces a severe shortage of equipment, including suits, masks and goggles, to protect medical workers from infection.

Though supplies of protective clothing have improved, they are still insufficient, said the statement.''

8. margarita25

On a light note, I wonder how many of us are chain smoking right now all worried about contracting a “Respiratory Syndrome” via droplets and fecal matter.

kimpage, Bravo, Mauig’ma and 14 others like this.
  9. JaneEyre

JaneEyre Mean people suck.

Ooh. Now I’m totally grossed out by “ones with less than this amount of alcohol — seem to mobilize the germs, spreading them around the hand instead of killing them.”

I do know that the one in my car - the most important one - is probably fresh because I go through that bottle regularly and refill it often.

10. margarita25

(No, those salt lamps are dangerous - see recent recalls :D Don’t make me start a thread now on the dangers of salt lamps lol.

Now who’s got a cigarette I can bum? Organic, please.

Bravo, JaneEyre, Hatfield and 10 others like this.
  11. Medstudies

Will would you look at that?!

proof that necessity is indeed the mother of invention. Here’s hoping this proves to be effective

Tadpole12, JaneEyre, Hatfield and 7 others like this.
  12. gregjrichards

gregjrichards Well-Known Member

They are dangerous and they can kill cats so they will never be in my house.

Bravo, JaneEyre, Amonet and 6 others like this.
  13. AStartoSteerBy

AStartoSteerBy Active Member

Remdesivir and chloroquine effectively inhibit the recently emerged novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) in vitro
    Cell Research (2020)
    Remdesivir and chloroquine effectively inhibit the recently emerged novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) in vitro

"Remdesivir has been recently recognized as a promising antiviral drug against a wide array of RNA viruses (including SARS/MERS-CoV5) infection in cultured cells, mice and nonhuman primate (NHP) models. It is currently under clinical development for the treatment of Ebola virus infection.

Chloroquine, a widely-used anti-malarial and autoimmune disease drug, has recently been reported as a potential broad-spectrum antiviral drug.
    (BBM)

• Our findings reveal that remdesivir and chloroquine are highly effective in the control of 2019-nCoV infection in vitro. Since these compounds have been used in human patients with a safety track record and shown to be effective against various ailments, we suggest that they should be assessed in human patients suffering from the novel coronavirus disease."

The Novel Coronavirus: A Bird's Eye View
      The International Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine
      The Novel Coronavirus: A Bird’s Eye View | Habibzadeh | Int J Occup Environ Med (The IJOEM)

(paraphrased). Remdesivir was used for the first US case of 2019-nCoV.

Wondering if these medicines will improve outcomes for severe cases?

14. Medstudies

dbm. ( Off topic.) Fun - but don’t want to derail the thread.

15. Medstudies

Lol! Yeah . We all need to do better than Phoebe. And keep our germs to ourselves :D

[​IMG]

16. Tadpole12

Tadpole12 Well-Known Member

NB:
    Wrt the street level population density,
    Hubei does have a higher level than its surrounding area.

Bravo, Amonet, What if... and 4 others like this.
  17. Tadpole12

Tadpole12 Well-Known Member

Dangerous for cats?

Googled
    ...tempting for cats to lick due to its coarse texture = sodium poisoning...

Wyle_E_Coyote, gitana1, Bravo and 8 others like this.
  18. coastal

coastal Well-Known Member

Here you go, Medstudies! This one is called "Lemon Cookies". It's a nice buzz.

The brother of my housemate is quarantined at Mirimar since Wednesday. He taught English in Wuhan.
    He's fine, thank God!

19. Medstudies

Thanks! Very nice! Heading to the car to hotbox:D

And thank goodness for him being well! I hope this continues!

coastal, Bravo, dixiegirl1035 and 9 others like this.
  20. Medstudies

kimpage, gitana1, Bravo and 12 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.