GUILTY COSTA RICA - Carla Stefaniak, 36, American tourist, San Antonio de Escazú, 27 Nov 2018

Reflecting on this case, it wouldn't surprise me too much if this security guard had an accomplice. In other news stories from Central America, there's often a scenario where a guy makes some male friends, and, when they find out where he works, they see the criminal possibility and hatch a plot together. When a crime is committed by just one person, it's more often spontaneous with no attempt to conceal it.

Solo serial killers are, to my knowledge, unknown in Central America, but there's lots of gang activity. However, this guy could be an exception.

Hey yall... New to this... Her smile led me to this site. I am totally obsessed with this case. My 1st thought has always been the uber driver. I found it odd that he waited for up to an hour for her to get ready to tour the city. What did he do? Sit in his car while she checked in and freshened up? Or perhaps he knew the guard. They could have been friends. And talked about how beautiful she was. Maybe they were involved in criminal activities. Such as sex trafficking. Or perhaps her fun personality led them to believe they could get to know her a little bit better. I've stalked the suspected murderers Facebook profile. She seems to be his type of lady. I do not know that uber drivers name. So I have not been able to see what his likes are. Who's to say they were not friends and had made a plan to drug her. For either sexual pleasures or even to sell her to the sex trafficing market. From what I have looked up on the owner he appears to be gay. I do not believe he sexually assaulted her however I do believe he knows more than what has been reported. I am not sure if this is correct but I have read that she was the only person staying at this place that night. I find that hard to believe if this is a popular tourist location. This could have been some kind of trap house to lure tourists in and sell them. It has been reported that she fought for her life. I also read somewhere that her father said she was naive. And I have read the Travelocity reviews about the guards being very kind and friendly. Maybe that is why she felt comfortable to ask the guard for some water.

Yes the sister-in-law planned to leave a day early due to a prior commitment. Carla wanted to stay the extra day to celebrate her birthday. They checked out of the resort where they had been staying and Carla drove her sister-in-law to the airport and returned their rental car. Carla then took an Uber to the Airbnb location.
That would cause unwanted attention being a woman alone checking in. :(

Hey yall... New to this... Her smile led me to this site. I am totally obsessed with this case. My 1st thought has always been the uber driver. I found it odd that he waited for up to an hour for her to get ready to tour the city. What did he do? Sit in his car while she checked in and freshened up? Or perhaps he knew the guard. They could have been friends. And talked about how beautiful she was. Maybe they were involved in criminal activities. Such as sex trafficking. Or perhaps her fun personality led them to believe they could get to know her a little bit better. I've stalked the suspected murderers Facebook profile. She seems to be his type of lady. I do not know that uber drivers name. So I have not been able to see what his likes are. Who's to say they were not friends and had made a plan to drug her. For either sexual pleasures or even to sell her to the sex trafficing market. From what I have looked up on the owner he appears to be gay. I do not believe he sexually assaulted her however I do believe he knows more than what has been reported. I am not sure if this is correct but I have read that she was the only person staying at this place that night. I find that hard to believe if this is a popular tourist location. This could have been some kind of trap house to lure tourists in and sell them. It has been reported that she fought for her life. I also read somewhere that her father said she was naive. And I have read the Travelocity reviews about the guards being very kind and friendly. Maybe that is why she felt comfortable to ask the guard for some water.

Welcome to the site. I see that you have a lot of ... "I have read..." I'm not saying your sources are false, but what I do know is that I too have read articles outside of here that have pointed to other people. I had to correct some people on Yahoo who swore up and down it was the owner or Uber driver. I suggest taking a moment and skimming through these 36 pages here and you will see that its pretty clear who dunnit. It justs a question of how many other folks were involved.

I'm happy to see this thread alive again, but unhappy over the possibility that this poor woman may have been gang assaulted. Let's just hope that it took others to cover up the crime...vs actively taking part in phase 1.

Multiple People 'Organized' Killing of Fla. Woman Celebrating Birthday in Costa Rica: Family

"The family of a Florida woman found dead in Costa Rica believes that multiple people are responsible for her death....

A security guard working the property surrounding the Airbnb where Stefaniak was staying was arrested in connection to her death.

According to General Director of Costa Rica’s Judicial Investigation Department Walter Espinoza, the security guard, 32-year-old Bismarck Espinosa Martinez, became a suspect after allegedly contradicting his story regarding Stefaniak’s whereabouts to police. Espinoza said that Martinez’ alleged “motive is sexual.”...

....on December 13, Stefaniak’s family wrote on a Facebook page launched after her disappearance that sources involved in the investigation have told them more than one person was likely involved in her death.

“In fact, the doubt extends to that there may be up to three or four possible people involved,” Stefaniak’s family wrote on Dec. 13. “We have been saying this since day 1. This was organized by more than one person as soon as Carla booked the place.”..."

Multiple People 'Organized' Killing of Fla. Woman Celebrating Birthday in Costa Rica: Family

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The family of a Florida woman found dead in Costa Rica believes that multiple people are responsible for her death....

A security guard working the property surrounding the Airbnb where Stefaniak was staying was arrested in connection to her death.

According to General Director of Costa Rica’s Judicial Investigation Department Walter Espinoza, the security guard, 32-year-old Bismarck Espinosa Martinez, became a suspect after allegedly contradicting his story regarding Stefaniak’s whereabouts to police. Espinoza said that Martinez’ alleged “motive is sexual.”...

....on December 13, Stefaniak’s family wrote on a Facebook page launched after her disappearance that sources involved in the investigation have told them more than one person was likely involved in her death.

“In fact, the doubt extends to that there may be up to three or four possible people involved,” Stefaniak’s family wrote on Dec. 13. “We have been saying this since day 1. This was organized by more than one person as soon as Carla booked the place.”..."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There has been complete silence from the CR authorities since Martinez has been arrested. Why has there been no word of formal charges? I fear this case is going to be swept under the carpet and the murderer freed. Wondering if the FBI and embassy are continuing to work with CR authorities to ensure justice will be served for ALL THOSE involved with Carla’s murder.

Also from the article....

Snip

Martinez was not immediately charged after his arrest and authorities announced he was being held on a preventive sentence and would spend several months in prison. It is not clear if he has been charged yet.

There are no details at this time as to whether or not Martinez has a lawyer or has entered a plea.

No other suspects are currently in custody. Costa Rican authorities are continuing to investigate the case.

Welcome to the site. I see that you have a lot of ... "I have read..." I'm not saying your sources are false, but what I do know is that I too have read articles outside of here that have pointed to
other people. I had to correct some people on Yahoo who swore up and down it was the owner or Uber driver. I suggest taking a moment and skimming through these 36 pages here and you will see that its pretty clear who dunnit. It justs a question of how many other folks were involved.

I'm happy to see this thread alive again, but unhappy over the possibility that this poor woman may have been gang assaulted. Let's just hope that it took others to cover up the crime...vs actively taking part in phase 1.

I have read all 36 pages. I was able to read some post on her personal Facebook page before the family "shut it down". You can still read comments on her instagram. I've also read news articles from Costa Rica, about her story and other reports of missing women and ones that have been murdered. I dont think the owner or the uber driver killed her. Idk how uber works as far as how they are paid. Like by the hour or by the miles. If its by the hour then yes he would be paid to sit and wait for her. Otherwise he could be losing money during the wait. There is a lot of criminal activity in that country. That is why I was wondering if the Uber driver knew the security guard. It would be easy for either one of them to pick out targets for kidnapping and or sex trafficking. I've read comments about other guest hearing loud noises and I've also read that no other guest were there. I do think the killer had help moving her. The owner? The other guard? The driver when he came back to get her?

There has been complete silence from the CR authorities since Martinez has been arrested. Why has there been no word of formal charges? I fear this case is going to be swept under the carpet and the murderer freed. Wondering if the FBI and embassy are continuing to work with CR authorities to ensure justice will be served for ALL THOSE involved with Carla’s murder.

Also from the article....

Snip

Martinez was not immediately charged after his arrest and authorities announced he was being held on a preventive sentence and would spend several months in prison. It is not clear if he has been charged yet.

There are no details at this time as to whether or not Martinez has a lawyer or has entered a plea.

No other suspects are currently in custody. Costa Rican authorities are continuing to investigate the case.
Costa Rica and other Spanish speaking countries have a different criminal justice system, based on non-UK European countries. It's not the same public bail hearing/arraignment etc that we're familiar with.

You can be held in jail, merely on suspicion, for a very long time while the prosecutor investigates. That's why, for eg, Amanda Knox was held in jail for 8 monthas before she was even charged with murder.

Costa Rica and other Spanish speaking countries have a different criminal justice system, based on non-UK European countries. It's not the same public bail hearing/arraignment etc that we're familiar with.

You can be held in jail, merely on suspicion, for a very long time while the prosecutor investigates. That's why, for eg, Amanda Knox was held in jail for 8 monthas before she was even charged with murder.

Thank you for the explanation of the CR justice system. Wasn’t aware of their procedures. I just hope they are truly investigating the case as they say. Since Martinez is an illegal, I fear they will dismiss him and deport him back to Nicaragua with no consequence.

Idk how uber works as far as how they are paid. Like by the hour or by the miles. If its by the hour then yes he would be paid to sit and wait for her. Otherwise he could be losing money during the wait. There is a lot of criminal activity in that country.
I believe Uber drivers are paid by the trip (the customer is presented with a rate that’s calculated based on travel distance, time of day/period of high or low demand, and type of vehicle required to accommodate the number of travelers in the party; they agree to this rate and that’s what they pay at the conclusion of their journey, regardless of how long it takes to get from Point A to Point B). This is all to say that the Uber driver, unlike a conventional “cabbie” (taxi driver), can’t make more money by keeping the meter going while they are waiting for their customer to return to the car. Based on my experience, it seems unlikely that an Uber driver would just chill out and wait for a customer when they could be making money. For frequent visitors, a more economical and convenient arrangement is to hire a driver for the duration of one’s stay—they usually negotiate a per diem rate that includes driving and waiting time.

Good point about the difference between the U.S. and the absolute need for either release or arraignment / probable bail and other nations.

As a side note, the reason for the difference is probably Napoleonic law. Before he well, "exceeded his limits", Napoleon conquered most of Europe and also created a law code / philosophy that could be the most common law code in use globally today.

Italy (Amanda Knox) uses portions of Napoleonic law and many central American countries use it exclusively. Mexico also has gone totally Napoleonic- they may have executed the French imposed emperor, but they liked his Napoleonic law code.

Interestingly thought The Netherlands does not have Napoleonic law, but apparently allows upto thirty days of pre-emptive confinement from what I remember from the American girl murdered on Aruba.

My guess is that the lawsuit against Airbnd will ultimately not go anywhere (nearly all lawsuits are appealed to Courts beyond the initial jury awards).

That aside, my guess is that airbnb is organized along the lines that each owner is completely independent. Rather, Airbnb serves as "Martha's list" regarding the listing of properties or in the case of Martha's list contractors who meet certain requirements.

The totality of the circumstances also does not suggest that Airbnb was aware of circumstances regarding that property that would imply that they were negligent in listing it.

My guess is that the lawsuit against Airbnd will ultimately not go anywhere (nearly all lawsuits are appealed to Courts beyond the initial jury awards).

That aside, my guess is that airbnb is organized along the lines that each owner is completely independent. Rather, Airbnb serves as "Martha's list" regarding the listing of properties or in the case of Martha's list contractors who meet certain requirements.

The totality of the circumstances also does not suggest that Airbnb was aware of circumstances regarding that property that would imply that they were negligent in listing it.

I’m thinking Airbnb had to be included in the lawsuit as part of the process of suing the host because Carla booked through their platform. JMO

But according to this article, Airbnb has a mandatory arbitration clause in their terms of service eliminating civil lawsuits against them.

Snip

A case filed against Airbnb that accused the company of facilitating racial discrimination hit a serious roadblock this week when a judge ruled in favor of Airbnb, saying that a mandatory arbitration clause in Airbnb’s 17-page terms of service was enough to notify users to that they’re not allowed to bring a civil lawsuit against the company.

Why You Can't Take Airbnb to Court Even If You're Discriminated Against

A case filed against Airbnb that accused the company of facilitating racial discrimination hit a serious roadblock this week when a judge ruled in favor of Airbnb, saying that a mandatory arbitration clause in Airbnb’s 17-page terms of service was enough to notify users to that they’re not allowed to bring a civil lawsuit against the company.
Thanks for the good information.

I am not surprised about the "no lawsuit" clause as Airbnb could not remain in business if they could be held responsible for the actions of thousands of independent property owners and their employees.

New DNA evidence in high-profile murder case
We spoke exclusively with Joseph Rivera Cheves, he's the family’s attorney in Costa Rica. He believes Martinez couldn’t have been the only one involved.

“We are considering that there could be at least five suspects that participated in the crime to cover up this heinous murder," said Rivera Cheves through a video interview.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lover305
Back