Found Deceased COSTA RICA - Carla Stefaniak, 36, American tourist, San Antonio de Escazú, 27 Nov 2018 *Arrest*

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by JerseyGirl, Nov 30, 2018.

1. crhedBngr

crhedBngr Well-Known Member

Well, expounding on my comments above, some folks had checked in solo for surgery. Let me post one from 2012:

Best of the best recovery facility - Review of Villa Le Mas, Escazu, Costa Rica - TripAdvisor

There are other reviews discussing surgery recovery in the 2012 - 2015 timeframe as well.

Carla had described herself as a model; she may have done some photo shoots and wanted to "tweak" some so-called imperfection of her body.

Again, just my thoughts and opinions.

Gumbeaux, realanastasia, Razz and 4 others like this.
  2. Satchie

Satchie Well-Known Member

Tripadvisor is distrusted by many travellers, including me. Airbnb reviews are guaranteed to be by the actual person who stayed there, and not a disgruntled neighbour or someone like that.

She booked through Airbnb. Someone said the listing had been removed. However, not necessarily, Airbnb isn't intended to be search by name, because it isn't based on hotels. I'd have to spend time looking at listings for Escazu, but I can't take the time.

3. JerseyGirl

JerseyGirl Staff Member Staff Member Forum Coordinators

I can't find Villa le Mas on AirBnB. Did the owner take their listing down?

tiffkinsadder, ilovematt and Warwick7 like this.
  4. crhedBngr

Yes, I believe so. Someone posted upthread that this listing had been removed from AirBnB.

tiffkinsadder and Warwick7 like this.
  5. JerseyGirl

I just saw on Trip Advisor that it is formerly the Villa Le Mas Aftercare Facility.

I don't think it's currently being used as an aftercare facility.

View from Villa Palma Real - Picture of Villa Le Mas, Escazu - TripAdvisor

6. zecats

zecats Well-Known Member

THAT is a good question!

7. Satchie

Satchie Well-Known Member

Everything indicates he had a hiking mishap, doing a demanding solo hike. There was some initial confusion that he might have stayed at a hostel, they denied he had ever been there. Then information emerged that they were telling the truth, he'd stayed one night somewhere else.

8. zecats

zecats Well-Known Member

Possible if she still had no power and cell phone not charged, Uber couldn't contact her to change time of pickup?
    Possible she went to ask guard for water and he realized she was alone in the dark?
    Possible she was delivered a note (from guard) that Uber would come earlier so she could either go to airport or somewhere for breakfast since there was no power?
    If a kidnapping scenario for real, then this could have been the set-up. jmo

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
  9. crhedBngr

Relinking the Heavy article on Carla. This article gives a bit more information about Villa Le Mas:

Carla Stefaniak: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know | Heavy.com

10. Warwick7

Warwick7 Well-Known Member

MOO is her itinerary was to be picked up at 8. MOO is she never left at 5am. She was abducted the 27th.

11. otto

otto Verified Expert

There were four complaints, three seemed like they were from the same person and the owner replied stating that the person had not stayed there, the fourth was something that seemed to be about double dipping on trip cancellation insurance. I don't take the reviews seriously.

12. adot0902

adot0902 Well-Known Member

I'm still a couple of pages behind, but guys Uber is not a taxi company, you don't just call them and they come pick you up! It's all application based, you need to use the App on your phone to request service, you can't "Have someone just call and reschedule your time". I keep seeing this over and over, if her phone was not working, there is NO WAY unless she used her Uber information on someone else's phone that she could have called an Uber. However, there is a chance as someone said before that the Uber driver gave her his personal business card and that's how it was working. But from the requesting of the driver to the drop off it's all on the App.... Same general thing with AirBnB this isn't a hotel this is all APP based.

13. otto

otto Verified Expert

If she was abducted, then wouldn't there be witnesses to her being dragged to and forced into a vehicle with her luggage? If she alone went to the vehicle and willingly, and of sound mind, got into the vehicle, then I don't think she was abducted at the Airbnb.

I'd like to know more about whether her father could obtain a visa to leave Venezuela under normal circumstances.

14. TatianaBarbie

TatianaBarbie Well-Known Member

This is such an important point zecats. If her phone battery needed charging (battery at 0%), Carla could not have changed her Uber ride reservation. Also, Uber could not have contacted her with any change in the time.

About the flight check-in: with American, Delta, and United Airlines, you can check-in up to 24 hours ahead of the flight time.

15. soap mama

soap mama Well-Known Member

It appears the sight seeing Uber drive was to pass the time until she could check into the new air bnb.
    The previous rental may have only been through the day before but that doesn’t explain her return date being one day later.
    I swear, when I travel, all my logistics make sense lol, I’m these cases, they never do!

tiffkinsadder, otto and JerseyGirl like this.
  16. Warwick7

Warwick7 Well-Known Member

Uber would send her an email. That would be proof.

17. JerseyGirl

Maybe she made verbal plans with the Uber driver the day before to come back at 8:00am the next day to pick her up.

On the 27th, she dropped off her sister-in-law at the airport and they also returned their rental car. Carla then had an Uber pick her up at the airport, drive her around to sight see and shop until 5:00pm when he dropped her off at this Villa. I am assuming at that time, she negotiated another pick-up, this time at 8:00am the next day to take her to the airport.

That's when the guards and the AirBnB owner said she left in another vehicle at 5:00 a.m.

Razz, otto, Satchie and 1 other person like this.
  18. adot0902

When I was young my logistics never made sense to anyone but me, because they were always based on $$$$. maybe she got a much better flight option for Costa Rica to Miami on Wednesday and it was cheaper to stay even with the new AirBnB than to leave on Tuesday?

kmtfl, Alcina, Gumbeaux and 7 others like this.
  19. adot0902

Exactly,only one of those count as an Uber pick up. Uber would only have a record of the sister going to the airport and the tour.... So everything else is not Uber. It's private, albeit they may work for Uber, it's not being tracked by Uber.

TatianaBarbie, Elainera, otto and 3 others like this.
  20. otto

otto Verified Expert