Couple Brings Baby To Hospital Under Safe Haven Law

Amraann said:
I have to disagree about this being good that it hit the news.

I think parents (using that word loosly) would be less inclined to leave a baby if publicity was involved.
I have to agree with you-I think people are still afraid that they won't be kept anonymous and wish they wouldn't make a big deal out of it everytime a baby is dropped off. The Safe Haven has only been used 7 times since it's inception in 2001-I think if it wasn't news it would be used more often.

Bravo to this couple for doing the right thing for their baby.

Jeana (DP) said:
This is good news! If they would allow schools to hand out information about the laws on this issue, I think they would find a lot more young women would do the same thing. And, if they allowed condoms to be passed out free of charge and with no questions asked, they'd find a lot less unwanted pregnancy and disease, but that's just my :twocents: ;)

You are so right ;)

When babies are dropped off anywhere that is a safe place I wish the parent or parents would do just one thing...on a piece of paper write the health historys of both parents. Sometimes that is so important if a child develops problems later. A health history of the parents might help doctors figure out the health problem a lot sooner. I know, right now it is just a miracle if they drop the baby off at a safe place and most of the parents are probably to young to even think about a health history but it sure would be nice.

It's great but the weird thing to me is my first thought was-what if this is really the baby of the missing 9 months pregnant woman and they were only turning the baby in anonymously to avoid being caught and arrested in connection with that.

I guess by now she would be 21 months pregnant so it's probably legitimately theirs-I guess I just have a weird thought process going on at the moment.

I guess I was thinking of Amanda Jones-wrong dates.

Good for the couple for doing the right thing.

Good for them and the baby! They did the right thing and the baby now has a running chance at a great life!

I'm not sure about it being in the news. I can see both sides. I think they should include flyers in the free clinics packages that they give out other info in. They tell about birth control after the pregnancy, free shots, free wic and breast pumps, why not give info if they don't plan on keeping it?

This was a miracle for a couple that was waiting to adopt a new born.

A truly unselfish act on the 'parents' part. I tend to think that if this was made public more often and young, scared, expecting girls heard people praising the actions and saying nice things about the birth mothers who drop of the kids it would take some of the stigma away and they would be more inclined to drop them off. JMO

It's wonderful to hear a story with this kind of ending. I live in an area, just south of Los Angeles, where all too often you hear the other side of these stories. So far this year, it seems there have been several highly publicized cases on the news of babies that weren't so lucky. I'm glad these two did the right thing.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cindy88
Back