Couple drives wrong car home: 'Never seen a case like this before'

noZme

Reaction score
A vehicle reported as stolen was found several days later after an elderly couple accidentally took the wrong car from an Oregon grocery store. The key had been left inside the by the elderly person who owned the white 1992 Oldsmobile Cutlass.

Later, police received a phone call from employees at the Red Apple grocery store complaining about a white 1993 Chrysler LeBaron that had been left in the parking lot for several days. When officers arrived, they ran the license plate and traced it to the couple.

When called, the couple told police that their vehicle wasn't at Red Apple, and insisted it was parked at their home. When officers went to the home, they realized what had happened. A vehicle exchange was arranged & no charges filed.

Police said "Everyone was just happy to have their cars back. Never seen a case like this before."

Happened to my grandparents once, back in the '50s. Their neighbors directly across the street had an identical car - if memory serves, a new 1956 Ford, blue and white - and, one day, while the neighbor man was visiting the courthouse (where my granddad, who was an elected official, worked), he subsequently exited, got in a car, which looked just like his own, inserted a key, which worked wonderfully well, started the thing, and drove it home. Merry mix-up! Don't remember how it was resolved but all was well by nightfall.

My father got into a Ford station wagon and used his key to start the car. Only then did he realize that it was someone else's car.

I almost did this once. Since my kids were teenagers, the happy meal toys caught my attention. lol.

LOL! My last vehicle was a burgundy SUV and there seemed to be quite a few cars that were nearly identical to mine. I remember walking up to the wrong vehicle on several different occasions and I think once, I actually got in the car and sat down, maybe even trying the key, before I realized it wasn't mine.

Now, I have a rare vehicle with a rare specialized license plate, thank god!

My dad sold cars all of his adult life, and drove a different car every six to eight weeks. One of our neighbors thought he was a really successful, Buick-only car thief!!

Coming out of the grocery one day, I got in the wrong car, and the key worked! Fortunately, the seatbelt was buckled underneath me - which I would not have done - so I got out before anyone noticed I almost 'stole' a car.

Waaaay back in the late '70's a friend operated a tow truck. Said friend was sent to pick up a Ford station wagon from a parking lot for mechanic's work. Keys provided started the station wagon. Friend brought wagon to shop.

Yep, this was not the intended Ford station wagon....:what:

Laughing

I've got so much clutter in the car everyone will notice it's not theirs.

Leaving the crowded mall a few days before Christmas, I finally found my Explorer, and my hands were full with packages. So I tried using the numbers code on the door, to unlock it. It didn't work, so I tried it again, and then someone said " EXCUSE ME?"

And a couple came walking up behind me, with THEIR car keys...ooops...

I'm glad others are enjoying my OP..... gotta love a story that ends well to lighten up things around Websleuths.

I had a similar experience to katydid's except mine was at a beach resort. After many tries, my numbers had not unlocked the door & I was very peeved & a little panic-ky because my keys & purse were inside. I finally realized the shouts from the 3rd floor balcony were directed at me & saying "wrong car".... my sploder was on the other side of the car behind me & that identical one must have belonged to someone on the 3rd floor.... me red faced? no just a little too much sun.

I almost did this one night after nightclubbing with friend.

It was in the mid 1980's and when we left the pub it was pouring down rain. We rain and got into my car. I got in the drivers and she got in the passenger.

I went to start the car and the key went in the ignition but the key wouldn't turn.

Looked around and saw a baby seat in the back.

I didn't have a baby haha!

We got the giggles so hard! We got out and found my car. :)

My mate did this in the 1970's in Saudi Arabia where he lived. He went to a large shopping precinct, did his shopping, came out, filled the car and was halfway home when he realised. Apparently a certain make of car was abundant over there and all the same standard colour. He managed to get it back and re park it in the same place before anybody noticed. If you are going to steal anything, Saudi Arabia isn't the place to get caught.

So funny, all the stories.

Once in '91, I took now ex-hubby - then current hubby's, honda to a job interview on a different side of town. I was very nervous. When I left this building complex I unlocked a little white honda, started the engine, and noticed a "thing" dangling from the rear view mirror. Then noticed the seats were the wrong color. It was not ex-hubby's white honda! Scared the carp out of me, and only increased the nervousness, disorientation.

Just saw on the news, last year, that is a common honda issue. One key fits all, or used to.

hahaha i am glad this has happened to so many other people!

when i was a kid i was visiting my uncle in the country, no one ever locked their cars. we were out for lunch when he ran into an old friend. i opted to wait in the car while he caught up. i sat down, turned on my walkman and waited. and waited. and waited. after 15+ minutes i went out to find my uncle and found him frantically running around the parking lot calling my name. i had been sitting in a stranger's car that whole time and couldnt hear his calls thanks to my headphones!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrak
Back